Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Barbara City College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Santa Barbara City College

Hattie

My school is one of the top ten community colleges in the nation. We are known for our TAG and our transfer academy. There are a number of great universities that we have guaranteed transfer agreements with.

SBCC is a very unique college for various reasons. The campus has an amazing view of the ocean along with great faculty and resources.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be sure to tell myself to "Be Ready." One of the major transitions from high school to college is that you're on your own. You have no one to force you to go to class when you're feeling lazy or slacking off. There is no more "getting in trouble" when you don't complete your assignments. Experiencing this college life has taught me to be very timely and goal-oriented. Living in Isla Vista, CA, next to UCSB, tested my ability to balance out school and my social life. UCSB is a big party school, but I still managed to be able to put school first. I would also tell myself to learn to become more independent because being away from home isn't always easy since you no longer have first-hand access to your parents.

Tiffany

The first advice I would give to myself is to have a clear plan on what really interests me and to take that information and funnel it down to majors relating to it. I feel if I had a clear view on what I wanted to study during my Senior year applying for colleges as well as committing to a college would have been much easier. Another thing I would give to myself is start making connections with people all around you because you never know when they might come in handy. Introducing myself and letting others get to know me would have been really helpful since in college that is what everyone does. In College everyone is so forward and open that it took me a few weeks to do the same as others. Lastly I would give myself the most important advice out of all and that is to be determined. To know what I want and strive to achieve that goal. Do not let any road blocks on the way stop me from reaching the goals that I want to achieve.

The people on campus are what I consider to be the best thing about my school. People here in Santa Barabara are so genuine and friendly, there is always a chance to meet new people and learn new stuff from one another. I feel so welcomed here by everyone here and it really feels like a community of students all brought together to strive for a higher learning environment. Students at the Community College are always caring for others and lending out a caring hand for others when they are in need of it.

I consider the worst thing about my school is the lack of clubs and organizations. I feel this is a major downside to the college because they aren't promoting as much opportunitites for the students to go outside of their learning boxes and get a chance to interact with other students and colleagues. I feel like if they added more clubs on campus it would really help students experience the College life and have a bigger chance to meeting new people that they normally might have never have talked to.

Jamilla

I would make sure that i tell myself to go and dont stop. I would tell myself that you can accomplish alot if you continue to stay foucuse and put in the hard work. Keep your eye on the prize and you will do just fine.

I think everyone would love this school because they cater to everyone. this school helps everone and they are easey to geta along with.

That the teachers are friendly and nice. The work load for the field i am going into is fair. The capus is beautiful.

James

Serious about using this opportunity to improve their educational status.

Serious about using this opportunity to improve their educational status.

Stay driven. Understand that there are an incalculable amount of distractions that can divert your long-term interests into 'in-the-moment' interests so it is important to constantly think about your motivation for choosing a certain educational (thus career) path and use that motivation to keep your drive for success. Do not change - in a good way. Of course, it is important to be open to try new things and expand your horizons, blah blah blah, but you do not want these things to change who you are. Stay wacky and independent, dance whenever you can, and never turn down a smile.

Natalie

A school where everyone wants you to succeed in a great environment.

A school where everyone wants you to succeed in a great environment.

Santa Barbara City College was rated number one community college in the nation. They have amazing staff, clubs, athletics, programs, and a very high transfer rate. They have a program called Express to Success where you can complete two semesters of math and/or english at an accelerated rate in one semester. I am enrolled in this program and am very excited.

I would remind myself to try my hardest and if I see something that I want, go for it! To make the most of the year and cherish every second of it because my life is going to change dramatically in about a year. I would have reminded myself to take in all the information that I can because I am going to need it in college. I think I would have spent a little more time with my family because they are not going to be around next year and I know I'm going to miss them more than i can imagine.

Ashlye

SBCC is the best place you could possibly spend your first two years of undergrad: beautiful location, friendly people, lots to do, and professors that care about you and love their job!

The four years you spend in college are unlike any other years of your life; use them wisely! Everything from the school you choose to go to, the major you decide to pursue, and the people you hang out with, have the potential to change your life! College is when you really start to learn about yourself and figure out who you want to become. The best way to do that is to put yourself out there: join clubs, take interesting classes, do things outside of your comfort zone, and don't pay any attention to what people think of you! Be your own person and follow your intuition. This is YOUR life, not anyone else's, so you have to live with it!

The SBCC campus is literally right across from the beach! It has the most beautiful view! You can even smell the ocean water from most parts of campus! In addition, everyone there is really friendly. It's in Santa Barbara, a small beach town, so everyone is laid back and relaxed. Oh and, you can't forget that it is the co-winner of the Aspen Institute's #1 Community College in the nation award!

Sydney

Take a year off... I'm not kidding. Try and find a job, figure out how to support yourself, learn how to write a resume, and figure out what you want to do in life that will result in bills being paid while also not hating yourself. Do things like exploring the world and new cultures. You have your whole life to work and go to school. Don't rush into college right out of high school. Don't take on any more debt than you absolutley have to. Consider a community college as a stepping stone to a four year. Find at least an inkling of what your niche is before you make any decisions about what career you want for the rest of your life. I gurantee it will do more good than getting out of college at age 22 or 23 with thousands of dollars in debt, no job prospects, and feeling totally abadoned by the school you spent 4 or 5 years of your life at because you were forced to decide your lifes direction right out of high school at age 18. Seriously, a year off will do you a world of good.

Our parking!!! They accept so many people to this school and its one of the best community colleges in the nation but we simply dont have enough parking spots.

Rachael

My school was awarded for the number one community college in the nation because it is known for its beach side location, modivating staff, and hardworking students.

Although I don't regret any part of my college experience thus far, if I could honestly go back and give my younger self some advice there would be a couple things I would tell her. First, I would advise myself to meet with a counselor and map out an effective plan to take all the classes needed to transfer to my first choice University. Second, I would remind myself to find the perfect balance between school and a social life. It is important to keep my goals and academic acheivements moving forward but I must also take advantage of the wonderful friendships that come from being more involved with my classmates. Which brings me to my third and final point, to take every opportunity to meet new people, whether that be to join more clubs, go to more sporting events, or attend every dorm get together there is. The transition from high school to college can be difficult at times but the experience and life lessons gained throughout the journey is amazing. I couldn't imagine taking on that transition at any school other than Santa Barbara City College.

The only complaint I have about my school is the parking. Other than that I couldnt picture myself anywhere else to recieve my two year education before transfering to a University.

Bryce

My school is the ultimate college setting that can be provided by a community college.

I would tell myself that going to community college is not something to be disappointed in. It is a transition in which you learn more about yourself than any other time in your life and is a time where you find your true strengths and weaknesses. You learn what becomes important to you, independent of what your parents think is important. College is something to look forward to as you begin taking classes that interest you and you can apply what you learn to everyday life which makes it less of a chore and more enjoyable. Creating an environment in which you can thrive by acknowledging what is important and what isn’t is important to the success you have. An open mind to new experience is one of the most important aspects of college as it is your entry into the world and the rest of your life.

When thinking about my school I always talk about how the campus is overlooking the oceans and is a beautiful place to lay out in-between classes. I say that it reminds me of being in an episode of Zoey 101 where everyone is friendly and is looking to make the best of their experience. I also love the fact that I am able to be apart of a university setting while attending a community college.

Audrey

Our school was voted the #1 Community College in the nation for a reason. We are a top school, with some of the best and brightest teachers and students this nation has to offer. All staff members are involved in the school and ensuring that their students find the path to success, and are willing to go above and beyond to help everyone succeed.

Firstly, I would tell myself not to take Calculus first semester - I know you think you can pass it, despite the fact it's been a year since you've taken a math course, but you can't. It's just not going to happen, so do yourself a favor and take statistics instead. Secondly, I would tell myself to take every opportunity I can to learn and further myself - meet with professors during office hours. Do the extra credit work. Attend lectures outside of class, and join clubs! Getting an education is so crucial, and you should do everything you can to improve your knowledge and yourself. Life is about opportunities, and college offers you so many - so don't miss a single one.

Santa Barbara City College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.