Santa Barbara City College

« See more reviews of Santa Barbara City College

The transition into college life is doable for anyone. There are certain things that you can do to make it easier. For example apply for student housing in on campus dorms, or private dorms are also effective. This will help you build new relationships if you are in a new area away from home. Learning to balance school life and a personal/ social life is important. Having friends especially ones who are self motivated can help you yourself become motivated to do well. Having goals is also very important. Setting a standard that you can work towards. Goals give you a reason to work hard in school and exceed your expectations. Surround yourself with people that are successful in what they are doing because it too can help you strive for your goals. Planning can help prevent habits of procrastination. Avoiding that habit can reduce stress and keep you a happier and more positive person, thus helping you stay focused on your goals and motivate you to keep going. Always believe in yourself when it come to being successful, and make friends who will also believe in you. This advice can help anyone get through the college experience with ease.

If I were able to give myself advice as a high school senior I would tell myself to travel as much as possible. It was not until I began traveling that I started to realize how little I knew about life. Once I had this realization I was able to open myself up to learn about different cultures and truly broaden my scope of thought. I have met many interesting people during my adventures and have learned that listening someone?s story can teach you so much about life. You don?t have to agree with their views, and you don?t have to choose their lifestyle as your own, but you can still learn just by listening. This has applied to my college career. I listen to what the professor says and even if I disagree or if I am initially uninterested, I still learn so much just by listening. Travel taught me how to listen. The more I traveled the more I craved an educational foundation. Travel showed me that when you are striving to learn the material not to pass an exam, but because you want to understand and absorb the information, it is so completely rewarding.

Although I don't regret any part of my college experience thus far, if I could honestly go back and give my younger self some advice there would be a couple things I would tell her. First, I would advise myself to meet with a counselor and map out an effective plan to take all the classes needed to transfer to my first choice University. Second, I would remind myself to find the perfect balance between school and a social life. It is important to keep my goals and academic acheivements moving forward but I must also take advantage of the wonderful friendships that come from being more involved with my classmates. Which brings me to my third and final point, to take every opportunity to meet new people, whether that be to join more clubs, go to more sporting events, or attend every dorm get together there is. The transition from high school to college can be difficult at times but the experience and life lessons gained throughout the journey is amazing. I couldn't imagine taking on that transition at any school other than Santa Barbara City College.

Don't be so quick to say "no" to an exploration. Straying from your comfort zone means joining clubs outside of your interests, everything from slack-lining to coffeehouse conversing in Italian. It means going on field trips for different classes and using office hours to meet teachers other than your own. You're a freshman, and although you think you know what your want, like, and are passionate about, you don't. Doing things you love, finding new hobbies and interests, are just as important as getting an education; the two go hand in hand. Take internships and jobs as they come, don't wait around for the perfect one for your career path. You can always move on while taking the best out of the opportunity you've been given at the moment. Sometimes, throwing caution to the wind can give you more ground to run. Most importantly, remember if you strive to get an education, the degree will follow, and if you build yourself, tone your strengths, ignite your passions, and follow your dreams, the resume will follow, too.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself so much advise. I would tell myself to learn how to be more financially responsible since I would be on my own in college, not living with my parents anymore. I would advise myself to research more about the schools I applied for. SBCC was my last choice because I wanted to go straight into a 4- year university. I wanted to skip going to a community college because I felt that I was working very hard and taking extra AP courses in high school. If I had researched more about SBCC I would have realized that it is an outstanding college and the #1 community college in the nation. I focused more on wanting to go straight into a 4-year university, but I did not realize how less expensive it would be to attend here first. Without knowing at the time I ended up making the best decision. I should have never let my AVID teacher make me feel less if I attended SBCC. He always told us we should go for more than just a community collge.

Take a year off... I'm not kidding. Try and find a job, figure out how to support yourself, learn how to write a resume, and figure out what you want to do in life that will result in bills being paid while also not hating yourself. Do things like exploring the world and new cultures. You have your whole life to work and go to school. Don't rush into college right out of high school. Don't take on any more debt than you absolutley have to. Consider a community college as a stepping stone to a four year. Find at least an inkling of what your niche is before you make any decisions about what career you want for the rest of your life. I gurantee it will do more good than getting out of college at age 22 or 23 with thousands of dollars in debt, no job prospects, and feeling totally abadoned by the school you spent 4 or 5 years of your life at because you were forced to decide your lifes direction right out of high school at age 18. Seriously, a year off will do you a world of good.

Wow! Oh what a grand thing it would be to go back in time! I would advise to stay steady on the course of creating a better life for myself, my children and my husband by obtaining a graduate degree. Don't get caught up in the drama of circumstances; high school years are great but graduation from that time period should be the gateway into responsibility and ultimately to becoming a positive, contributing member of society. In becoming a psychology major, I would advise to make sure to have great emotional support from family, friends and therapist; if for nothing else than just to check to make sure there are no mental meltdowns in the near future. Never take more than two or three psychology courses in a row. This will ensure maximum learning and healthy processing of ones own life. Overall have fun as you trudge the road ahead to adventure, knowledge, and power through education. It is something no one can ever steal from another. :o)

Dear Felicia, Don't be discouraged if that professor seems to not care about you. Don't give up when you feel like no ones on your side. Those nights staying up late studying the difference in DNA between Prokaryotic cells and Eukaryotic cells WILL pay off. Getting in arguments with your roommates, although stressful, is normal and will blow over. Call your mom and dad often and tell them you love them because they will always be there for you when you don't do so great on an exam or have a bad day. Get out and be active, take your vitamins, take baths and most importantly invest in time to truly relax and watch your favorite TV show. If you don't take time for yourself, you will get eaten alive by stress resulting from college. Last but not least, make memories. Make the memories that you will remember for a lifetime and tell your children. College will be one of the best times of your life, trust me. Sincerely, Felicia Jordan Tetz

The first advice I would give to myself is to have a clear plan on what really interests me and to take that information and funnel it down to majors relating to it. I feel if I had a clear view on what I wanted to study during my Senior year applying for colleges as well as committing to a college would have been much easier. Another thing I would give to myself is start making connections with people all around you because you never know when they might come in handy. Introducing myself and letting others get to know me would have been really helpful since in college that is what everyone does. In College everyone is so forward and open that it took me a few weeks to do the same as others. Lastly I would give myself the most important advice out of all and that is to be determined. To know what I want and strive to achieve that goal. Do not let any road blocks on the way stop me from reaching the goals that I want to achieve.

These past two years living away from home have been a huge learning experience for me. Since senior year I have attended two schools; my freshman year at University of Colorado and my sophomore year at Santa Barbara City College. Certainly, having an open mind about everything would have been the best advice I could have given myself. , I learned that I needed to make the best of the situation and have a good attitude because I will be encountering people who I am not used to in addition to surviving a year in freezing Colorado. Making new friends two years in a row is also difficult so I would have advised myself to be very social and get involved in as many things as possible. I realized that although I came across numerous situations that did not enthrall me, they helped me grow and mature as a person and helped me become the woman I had always wanted to be.