Santa Barbara City College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Santa Barbara City College

Audrey

Santa Barbara City College is a great transitional school if your goals are to transfer into a 4 year institution. There's plenty of interesting classes to take, amazing professors, and sociable students that enjoy being here. It doesn't hurt that the campus is right by the beach too!

Jack

I grew-up in Santa Rosa, California. My high school years were terrible. I encountered a ton of adversity. When I graduated high school I knew that I wanted a change. I wanted to go somewhere away from Santa Rosa that promoted personal growth and healing. I thought Santa Barbara City College would be a great fit. It has definitely lived up to my expectations. It is hard to get past one's difficulties and it has been a tough journey, however the support at SBCC has been phenomenal. For the most part, the teachers want students to succeed and are always willing to help. There are great on-site tutoring services and the school has great support for students that are trying to overcome all sorts of obstacles. Also, the Santa Barbara environment is really friendly and relaxing. The weather is great. The picturesque setting is amazing. My only criticism of SBCC and the Santa Barbara area is the cost of living. It is really expensive, however if you need a place to heal and grow-up, it is definitely worth it.

I think it is a great start for me to start off at SBCC, so that I can get a feel on California. Then move up to UCSB.

Alia

I love this school so much! I am so glad I decided to come here. The environment is so perfect, very beachy, everyone is really nice. The teachers really want you to succeed and transfer to the university you want to go to. It is the number one community college of the nation so it means there are some good things about it. There are plenty of counselors that will help you build your path and point you in the right direction. It is a great school.

Savana

Super student and community-oriented place where everyone can find something interesting to do. The location is perfect, right across the street from the ocean so lots of students take the opportunities to take studying to the beach.

Since this is the third college i've attended to, I think it is the best by far. On my first day of school as I'm walking to my classes, I get a nice view of the ocean which boosts my mood. All my professors want nothing more then to help my classes and I understand their concepts, and leave plenty of room on the side for extra assistance. This is the only college where the professors seem content with their jobs and are happy to teach and share their knowledge. This motivates me to actually want to do my assignments not for the grade, but so I can gain the knowledge thorughly as well. This is the first college where I actually enjoy going to lectures. As for the student culture, more of my classmates are involved with group discussions as opposed to the previous colleges I've attended. I am excited to continue on my education at this college and finish all of my lab classes here because I know I'm getting a quality education here.

Asia

Although I've only been here for a year I really enjoy SBCC. Its the top City College in the nation. They have an amazing amount of resources and services for any kind of student. The majority of the teachers are very nice and super helpful. Many are willing to go above and beyond to spend their time helping you and get to know you on a personal level. There are a plethora of people, arranging in age and race. Its very diverse. Also Santa Barbara is absolutely gorgeous. Our campus is off a cliff that faces the ocean and always provides clear skies all around! The classes are very good. If you want an easy A you can find one but you can also have a very challenging class. Its up to you and how you want to utilize your education. The people are overall very friendly and outgoing. Financially, its very reasonable and almost little to none if you are resident. I honestly don't regret making this decision and I strongly recommend it!

Rex

The campus is stretched across two large hills giving you an astonishing view to enjoy between classes or while studying. The classes are small, the information massive with a large course selection, strong course curriculum and a beautiful campuses. The campuses like the cafeteria is always clean and fast to serve at a ocean view with ships in the distance. There is always a seat open in Santa Barbara City College's Luria Library where you can reserve a privet glass room for 2 or more to study. The library is only as loud as the amazing coffee bar they run upstairs along with noisy id operated printers. The the student id also allows you to travail the buses all over the county for free, however you don't need to commute to find affordable housing its all the same base price .

Annie

Santa Barbara City College is an excellent place to learn with one of the most beautiful campuses around. All teachers are enthusiastic about their subjects and eager to talk with students. In class discussions are intelligent and it's easy to jump right in- everyone is very supportive! The art facilities on campus are amazing, and give students th

tristyn

Love it

Chloe

I am so grateful I found Santa Barbara City College! The class sizes are small enough so that I can receive a huge and helpful amount of time with the professor, yet large enough to meet other students. The social scene on campus is motivating in the sense that I know that, no matter what, I will see at least a few friends throughout my day at school. The academics are so engaging, and taught by capable, passionate, and knowledgable professors. I have recommended Santa Barbara City College to many of my friends that are both college bound, and seeking to transfer schools.

August

I really love Santa Barbara City College. I came from an academically rigorous high school in San Francisco and was not sure what to expect in terms of the attitudes of other students. I have found many people who care about what they are learning, take school seriously and are active members of the community. I have found my teachers to be interesting and helpful and feel I am getting a University level education at a city college price! I also feel very prepared to transfer to a California University because of all of my teachers and counselors support. There are also many ways to get involved with other students on campus, like clubs, honors societies, art galleries and free events. I have made some really intelligent and fun friends from really far away places! Overall I think it is an amazing school, where you can get a great education and have a fun college experience, all while living by the beach in sunny California.

wyatt

I grew up in Santa Barbara and always heard how incredibly lucky out town was for having this top City College for the kids. I went there after High School and I enjoyed my time there. I am now able to transfer to the school of my dreams with the amazing help provided by students and staff at Santa Barbara City College.

Medea

The campus is beautiful. You can see the ocean from almost any class, and there's plenty of open space. My lowest score given was for on-campus housing, and the only reason for that was because there is none, at least that I've heard of, because it is a community college.

Felix

Santa Barbara City College is a wonderful school filled with great people and exciting activities, so many people care and there is help wherever you need it. It is a blessing to have such an experience. The campus itself is located near a beach, thus adding to the already surreal atmosphere. I recommend every student take part in as many activities as they can, it's almost certain that there's a life changing experience waiting for you just around the corner. I can honestly say that there's no other community college I'd rather be than here at SBCC!

Kristina

It's the best place to recieve an AA degree. It's proximity to the beach and mountains is amazing, the beach is literally a block away from campus. It's affordable, with just over $1,000 in tuition per semester, and they have great teachers and counselors to assist you. Their BMS building is spot on, even UCSB students come to SBCC to take anatomy, because of how in depth our anatomy program is. Overall, an amazing campus :)

Santa Barbara City College is a wonderful school, with a surprising amount of great opportunities, quality professors, and interesting classes. The faculty is dedicated, caring, and committed to getting students where they want to be. The school is very well prepared for students to stay and to transfer out, and is very supportive. While not every major is fleshed out to my personal liking (I am a theatre major, and from experience, I must say that this is a weak point for SBCC), the school is very open and receptive to students' experiences and contributions for ways to improve. There are also countless programs to cater to diversity—sexual orientation, gender identity, learning disabilities (their program, DSPS, is extremely well thought out and organized and has helped me enormously by having a more focused environment for exams since I have ADHD), and more. Their scholarship opportunities, such as the Promise Program, are also very well funded and community-oriented. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the stunning, 180 degree ocean view campus, sprawling green grass hills, a ten minute drive away from tourist destination hot spot, State Street. The students, simply put, are happy. Priceless.

I think it's a very affordable option and has a great transfer program for UC's and CSU's. The financial aid is very great and accessible to many. The professors are all experienced and professional. I see SBCC as a college that is open to everybody with a diverse student body and staff.

Armando

A wonderful experience but mostly focused on academics.

Alexandra

The campus is beautiful and most teachers are excellent. Some classes are unnecessarily hard but over all teachers care to help and teach their students. The environment is welcoming and students of all ages are as a whole friendly. I wish sports were a little more important but it’s also a community college so that is what is expected. Over all a great school, especially for a community college and it often feels like a university.

Alicia

It is the number one community college in the nation for a reason. I would rate it a 4.5/5 overall; the classes are appropriately challenging, the teachers are very straight forward with their goals for the class, the campus and facilities are always clean, there are food options for all students (vegetarian and so), and it is beautiful.

Devin

SBCC Is a great city college with lots of course choices and the TAG program for those who want to transfer to one of the UC associated with it. You can't beat the campus environment with beautiful views of the ocean and easy access to the beach for some rest and relaxation or a quiet place to study.

Alex

I wish there was a bigger art scene and more variety with it. The two things I'm interested in (interior design and fashion merchandising) aren't really offered to the extent that is beneficial for my desired career. I also wish that the campus would clean up some of the classrooms and bathrooms and had more color and art around. The campus is pretty bland and not inspiring at all.

Fiona

It is in a great location and has some really good teachers in every department if you look around. They have a large selection of class options. The PE classes were well organized and good exercise and a great place to meet different people. Go to the library on hot days :)

victoria

its not that good

Nan May Thu

Santa Barbara City College has a lot of resources to help students. The faculty is friendly and willing to help the students. The class sizes are around 30-35 people. The professors are accessible both in class and outside the classroom. The campus is beautiful and in some classroom, you can see the beach and sea from the classroom window. My experience in SBCC is amazing!

Peri

SBCC is a very great school, that prides itself on being one of the top three city colleges in the nation. It has very professional and caring professors that want to see students succeed. They push you more than someone would expect from a community college. It has a beautiful campus and a very vibrant environment.

Carly

The truth of the matter is I still cannot fathom how my city college got bumped down to second in the country this year, as it will always be number one in my heart. Now I'm slightly biased, (okay not slightly, entirely) due to the fact I have never attended nor shadowed another college. But that said I've been comparing notes to all of my other friend's college experiences, and Santa Barbara City College always comes out on top. I mean what other universities do the majority of the professors make the conscience effort to learn each and every student's name? Where else can you find professors that not only make their lectures hilarious and engaging but invite class discussion? Santa Barbara City College is more than a school; it's a community built upon the foundation of learning and unity. Not only do I feel heard on campus, I feel seen. The professors acknowledge hard work while the counselors work hard to ensure our individual success. The school is a haven, a refuge from the normally crippling cost of university, ultimately an affordable place of fiery intellectual debate.

Katherine

Beautiful campus with teachers and advisors that are there to help whenever you need. Even the students are nice and very helpful. I fell in love with this school.

Giovanna

Santa Barbara City College is the place to be if you're choosing to attend a two-year university before transferring. Not only is campus minutes away from the beach, but the school is huge with a huge variety of students from all over the world. It's the only community college with a total university feel. The class sizes are great, food is amazing, and the views are out of this world. I feel so blessed to attend such an amazing school at such a low cost.

Ayami

Its a beautiful campus especially if you love the beach, you will have your breath taken every time you come to school. Weather is nice but also bipolar a little bit, but you always feel a nice breeze. The people here are super nice and friendly, you get used to the environment/ school pretty quickly and the campus is easy to get used to.

Salvador

Santa Barbara City College is a wonderful campus. Probably one of the most Diverse of campuses you will ever visit. Everyone is very laid back in terms of students. There is always something going on at SBCC, you just need to be on the look out for signs and posters. The faculty and professors are very welcoming, receptive, and knowledgeable. They ensure that their students succeed their course without any problem. The food is delicious, our two cafes offer a variety of selections for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The view is absolutely stunning! I would recommend it for anybody who wishes to come to Santa Barbara

Lexi

I think that Santa Barbara City College does a great job at encouraging students to do their best and overachieve. Obviously, professors can be stern here, but they are always open to office hours and answering any questions. I believe that the open door policy for asking questions/talking to professors after class and before is one of Santa Barbara City's best qualities. I highly recommend this school for GE preparation and saving money.

vanes

My opinion in Santa Barbara is that its a beautiful school.It has both of the majors that i have been considering.The area that the school is in is really nice.The vibe at this school feels good to me not afraid of being here or of the people that i am surrounded by.

Dhara

I honestly really love Santa Barbara City College. They have great teachers, and academics. I can tell that teachers really want their students to thrive because they offer so many office hours and plus show us where we could get additional support. For example, im taking a math class and my teacher has a designated tutor just for our class. She usually hangs out in class or the math lab. The only problem i have is the town. Its way to beachy for me, but if your into that i high recommend it!

Aaron

SBCC is great for currently enrolled high school students, who are homeschoolers because the college is homeschool friendly. The campus is pretty cool, with the awesome views of the ocean. The campus environment is superb with helpful, friendly staff, as well as a great campus community. The professors are great, and there are a wide range of majors and classes to choose from.

Scott

It is a phenomenal school. Everyone working there always has the best interests of the students in mind, and the teachers are some of the best and most intelligent people I have ever met. They bring out the absolute best in their students, and my classmates in turn are wonderful to converse with on nearly any topic.

Jacob

Santa Barbara City College is filled with professors who love what they teach. That is what makes this school great in my opinion. Were it not for my English professor, I would not have discovered my passion for literature. Were it not for my Sociology teacher, I would never have discovered new thought patterns to align myself with. SBCC is a wonderful school with open-minded and caring students, teachers, and alumni. I am grateful to be going to Santa Barbara City College. Moreover, I would recommend this school to anyone who enjoys a wonderful view of the beach. The beach is right in front of SBCC, I occasionally like to go for a cool refreshing swim on a warm sunny day.