Santa Monica College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Santa Monica College

MONISHA

1. Admissions takes so long to put your transcript in there system. 2. DSPS, want you to call them by 8:00am to set up an appointment to speak a counseling that same day in summer semester. 3. Financial Aid doesn't have voucher to give students to get there books at the bookstore. They mail out your refund check in the mail because they do not have Higher One card. 4. EOPS want you to wait a semester to get a book voucher from there program. 5. Bookstore doesn't have rent college textbooks. It's so hard to attend this college base on my experience at Santa Monica College. I wouldn't recommend nobody to attend this college; therefore, if your parents or yourself can afford your book at the bookstore with or without financial Aid then don't go to this college.

Erika

SMC had changed my perspective of a community college and schooling as a whole. The diversity in student tomographic expanded my view of the world and gave me many new perspectives of new and different cultures. I've learned so much from my professors and peers. I can proudly say I attend Santa Monica College and am having an amazing experience.

Daniel

I really enjoy the campus, it is great for a college student. It is very big and has all the different kind of activities the students look for. I believe that this is one of the best community colleges in Los Angeles. Only problem is getting into classes.

Jeremy

Santa Monica College has made a name for itself for a reason. Being amongst the top colleges with a high transfer rate, offering an abundance of opportunities for its students, and having a broad field of studies from which attending students can choose from, it's a really amazing school overall. My entire experience at SMC has been a joy all the way up to graduation. The professors are readily available and many of them even establish strong lasting friendships with you which you can use to your advantage when seeking out mentorship in your field. Everything about SMC screams helping hand and they really just want to see you succeed and reach your goals.

Parker

The staff here is literally the worst I have ever experienced. Despite living in California for over two years and having my driver's license AND voter registration being California, for some reason they classified me as a non-resident. How does that even happen?! I then spent over a MONTH going back and forth to no avail. They wouldn't accept ANYTHING as acceptable documents. And that's when I could actually get ahold of them. Never responded to calls, emails...nothing. The admissions staff here are THE absolute worst. The residency specialists are even more horrible, Alma Nevarez and Sandra Franco. Completely unhelpful. Almost never actually respond. When they do, they don't offer any help or useful advice. Completely unwilling to look into the situation rather than just present the generic information or actually help at all. Horrendous service. I've never experienced anything like this before.

Kathleen

It's a great school for athletics and liberal arts major music education and photographic education. The campus police is next door, adjacent to houses that the school owns for various resources like international counselor office, Eco-friendly, and such.

Ioanna

I think this college has a beautiful campus with lots of greenery, including a community garden you can plant your veggies in if you like! The library is a great place to study with lots of comfy sitting space, although the bathrooms could use a little upkeep since only one sink works. Love the waterfall and the coffee spot on campus, it keeps me relaxed!

reo

I believe Santa Monica college is a great place for transferring. I am an international student and it is extremely hard to get into a four-year university straight out of high school. So I chose the path to get into a community college and transfer. It is tough to keep up the grades even through college but the small classrooms and helps a lot. Above anything, it is important to have fellow students with the same goals in order to achieve transferring and this school will provide you with all the fellow students help from professors that one needs.

Sharmin

It's a great school that gets you where you need to be, and there is many opportunities and resources to utilize. However, you have to take initiative to meet with counselors and get information about opportunities. There are a lot of clubs to suit everyone, and overall its a welcoming community.

This college conceives a "disappointing" experience overall. In general, the community college professors seem to lecture passionate about their subjects but they keep regular office hours. Science classes are usually intensive and most professors in the Science Department are not doing anything more to make learning much easier or faster; they are just there to lecture! Some STEM students are dropping their math classes because the math faculty makes the subjects almost purely theoretical, not practical. The cafeteria's food only has some variety, but some are not satisfying and can be unfairly expensive.

Jed

Santa Monica College is a community college that has great teachers, a great environment, excellent classes, and is a welcoming community overall. It's a darn shame that there aren't as many extracurricular activities/student organizations as hoped for. Granted, there is at least something for everyone, but there should be more options available.

Keijera

It is a great school, overall number transfer school in the nation. They are true to what they say as far as transferring. I am transferring as a sophomore which is what I was aiming for. The teachers want you to succeed in life you just have to put in the work.

Briceida

This college is really great. The classes are small and the professors get to teach the students very well. The people are very friendly and easy to get along with. Everyone is so nice and helpful. The professors have time to give you , if you need help. The campus isn't that big to get lost in. When asking for directions a lot of students can help you and show you.

Rona

Santa Monica College is a wonderful school to attend if you're looking to transfer to a 4 year university. It's not as crowded compared to other community colleges, so students have a higher chance obtaining the classes they want though it is not guaranteed. Since there aren't any dorms on campus, students usually find off campus housing which is quite pricey in the Santa Monica area. Parking is a bit of a pain, so students usually ride the bus or bike to school.

Rose-Ashley

SMC is a great campus that has alot of resources for students. It is known to be the #1 transfer school in Socal for a reason. My experience is that counselors and most faculty do their best to support you in transferring to the school of your choice. It's up to you to put in the work of course but they do try to make the process easier. Great campus and faculty, no complaints :)

Nungari

Santa Monica College has a very good academics program. The community college provides student lots of information and tools they need to achieve their academic goals, whether its getting an associate's degree, or transferring to a 4-year university.

CHYANNE

Santa Monica college is better if you are an art or design student. Also I hope they work on the transfer department. They said they have a high transfer rates but Santa Monica Nursing Department is not partnered with very many schools to promote continuing education. I would hope they work on that more.

Monet

Santa Monica College it the type of J.C. where you want to get in, get your work done, and get out as quickly as possible. A lot of people are not there to make friends, therefore there is a lack of school pride. The people only talk to you if you can help them with their homework.

Imani

Overall SMC is one of thee best junior colleges out there. I have been a student since Feb 2017 and it has been nothing short of a great experience. The professors are always there when you need them, even if it means missing out on their own break. Deciding to attend SMC is one of the best decisions that I have made.

Cameron

Santa Monica College is incredibly beautiful its right by the beach lots of places to eat and go shopping and the sports on campus is incredible so far our football team is undefeated and thats amazing the cheerleaders are fun and energetic and I'm on the track team and the coach is like no other it's guaranteed that you'll get faster and gain speed. The arts and dance department is amazing I've never seen anything like it. I wish i can stay there forever. The only downside is that its super crowded and you definitely should use rate my professor before picking your classes.

Damaris

Best school with great accessible teachers for in-class and online classes. Many of the programs being provided at this school are very helpful because you have programs like the Scholars Program, Adelante/Black Collegians Program, EOPS, and FLVR Program. All these programs can help with textbook waivers, priority registration, and free tutoring. As well as free accessible food for low income students.

Pantea

Great great school

Hyacinth

Santa Monica College, that's my school. There's a lot of characters roaming around campus; an art major skater girl with Starbucks on the hand, a pure goth girl with neon hair highlights, a free spirited boy laying on the grass with his head up in the sky... we're all different but we have the same goal, and that is to continue learning. I'm glad to say that Santa Monica College is able to provide us with the opportunity to continue to grow and encourages each student to never give up on their dreams and to continue reaching for it. Santa Monica treats each student with respect, and that's the greatest thing I could say about my school.

Manon

I love it, even though I pay a lot more because I'm an international student. The environment there is great, I really like my teachers, they are really understanding and available. We have a really great library, I love to go there, I feel productive when I'm there. In general I really like this community college, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Hanna

I think Santa Monica is a really strong junior college, with a beautiful campus. The counseling is above average for a junior college but still mediocre overall. The variety of course options are fantastic, they have some really interesting options both in person and online, and I'm yet to come into trouble trying to get into a class. It feels worthy of its known strong transfer rating overall.

Lily

Santa Monica college is an amazing college with very supportive and encouraging professors and staff. The students to attend SMC are inspiring and intelligent people. I feel very safe and accomplished when I walk onto the campus, SMC is one of the schools that has the best resources for all students who attend which is very comforting to know.

Chance

I love the 4 year university feel for a community college. I highly recommend this school for a CC. The food is pretty good at times as well. Oh and if you're a fan of Coffee, then you should check out Huckleberry on Wilshire BLVD. Overall I love the school.

It’s a great school, especially if you want to transfer out. They need a better system for their waitlist because it’s very gruesome. They need a better system when meeting up with counselors because every time you go you meet a new counselor it’s never the same or consistent.

Tyler

Santa Monica College is a great school. I recommend anyone to come visit and see for yourself that SMC is not your typical college. Everyone is friendly, the professors are nice and the food is absolutely amazing. I am glad I attend the SMC, it's the best.

Mica

Santa Monica College could use a few improvements, but overall is a wonderful school that provides so many opportunities and services to all of its students. You can be extremely successful at SMC if you are willing to take those opportunities that are handed to you.

Being the best transfer college in the country, Santa Monica College consists of a wide range of classes, and professors are readily available. Most professors are ready to educate you, and they are skilled at their jobs. There are also a ton of classes you can take, and hours are super flexible, like any college. I also like that Santa Monica College offers tons of online courses for people that maybe have busy schedules and have work or kids. In this way, the college is considerate of people that are in a tough position in their lives. In addition, classes are small, which makes it easy to ask questions. Another great thing about the community college is that tuition is affordable. However, this all comes at multiple costs, including a delinquent student body, lack of school spirit, and no housing, since its a community college.

Tony

I'm a veteran using my 9/11 GI benefits and my horrible instructor (Saul Rubin) drops my without notice losing me part of my rent money (BAH) which has gotten me evicted from my house because of their negligence. I now live in my car because of SMC. I have learned that there is now over 200 homeless students at SMC. The college has closed down the organization that helped out these students out. I recently enrolled in a new class and they have not updated my enrollment either. This place is trash.

Jasmine

SMC is actually a really good community college. The main campus is beautiful and well-maintained, and it feels very safe even at nighttime. Classes fill really quickly but there are some amazing professors that truly changed my mind about certain disciplines and made me re-think my educational path. This school specifically has a pretty good international student program, which is pretty uncommon in most community colleges as far as I know. I'm an international student myself and they have always helped me. I like it here but I do wish the food options were a bit better and more affordable; it would be nice to have more healthy and actually good-tasting meals available. Also, I wish there was a stronger sense of community... But alas, it's a commuter school.

Hector

It is a really nice school. I think I could get use to attending there. Especially because it's near the beach. However the only down side is that there is a lot of traffic in the area but over all a great school. Not to mention students get a lot of support from their professors and counselor. I highly recommend students to come to Santa Monica College .

Benjamin

The transfer Santa Monica is one of the best in the area, and the school website is generally quite helpful. Socialization around campus is not as great as it could be and unique opportunities are far and few. The available office hours for many the departments could be better. I find it difficult to meet with counselors or gather resources that aren't online. Nonetheless, I've had the chance to learn from a handful of the best teachers that I have had in my life. The school fits my current needs, and my complaints are relatively few.

Andrew

After spending a year at SMC, I've enjoyed it so far. The class sizes are usually the right amount of students for each teacher and everyone is pretty friendly. SMC introduced me to so many clubs, jobs, and colleges that check every box on my list of expectations. I have joined 3 clubs so far and every club has been welcoming to everyone who is interested. The students and faculty have opened me up so that I can become more ready for networking in the real world, especially since I want to become a film producer. When I first started, I was an architect major and after I was introduced to the photo and film department, I found what I truly want to do after college; shoot pictures and produce my own films.

sierra

Santa Monica is a really good community college. The campus is nice and updated, the cafeteria food is good and there is a lot of clubs you can join. Out of all the community colleges in the Los Angeles area I would definitely say SMC is one of the best,if not the best.

jeferson

i think its a good school . i'm looking forward on going to Santa Monica for the fall of 2018. my friends go there and he told me that he looks like it. he said it may be a little hard but it all works out because you can always ask for help. he also said that some teachers are mean but he said that's just how things work out.

Alyssa

Santa Monica College is a smaller community college campus filled with diverse, motivated individuals attempting to achieve their academic goals. The professors are dedicated to aid their students in truly understanding the world around them both inside and outside of the classroom. Students may not seem approachable at first, but that it only because they are either going straight to class or taking care of their other responsibilities after class is over (work, volunteering for their communities, etc). Despite the positives of Santa Monica College, the cons are that traffic to/from the campus can be heavy depending on the time of day and there is not enough parking in the parking structure to accommodate 30,000 students.

Armaghan

good but over crowded

Emely

It is a well kept school, very beautiful campus. The professors in the science department can use a little help on different methods of teaching. The staff are mostly nice and always have answers to your questions. Also, it is a very open-minded and welcoming school.

Ramiro

SMC is a really good community college from which to transfer, but keep in mind that one needs to take opportunities of everything available, from professors' office hours to networking to learning from fellow students. One has to take advantage of everything to make the most of the #1 transfer college in California.

Tyler

It is a great college. In fact, it is one of the best 2 year colleges in the state of California. Santa Monica is one of the highest rated public city college for students successfully transferring to four year colleges and universities. That is my main reason for choosing Santa Monica. I want to transfer to a four year college. I believe I picked the best City college for that, Santa Monica.

Diego

My overall opinion of Santa Monica College is that it is a great place to start after highschool. It is very good at giving you what you need to transfer to a four year university. The classes are difficult enough to prepare you for transferring and supply you with knowledge needed for any intended major.

Jenelee

I think that Santa Monica College has a lot more stuff to be done in order for it to be at 5 star. Santa Monica College is not the best out of all of the other colleges when it comes to parties but it is rated as the number one transfer destination to other top universities..

Faith

Santa Monica is a great school. It’s 6 minutes from the beach, the food is great, the diversity is amazing, and everyone is there to learn so there aren’t many distractions. The professors are pretty cool and the class sizes are nice. The library is gorgeous and offers space to study quietly, to hang out, to sleep, and to just work on your homework. Along with all of that, there are a variety of tutoring services and workshops readily available for student success.

John

Santa Monica City College is a wonderful school for those looking to transfer to a four year university, or for those trying to get their AA. I was able to transfer on time in two years because the teacher's make themselves available to the students, and there is a vast variety of class options and times. I would recommend SMC as it helped me transfer to the school of my choice in a safe nurturing learning environment.

hana

The administration really care about student's success and future career. They wants us to thrive so they provide us with different information through mail or phone calls. I think it's the one of the best colleges in US because of the quality of education and the treatment we are getting.

Daniela

I genuinely love this school so much. The environment is really academic and everyone knows what they are doing. The staff is so helpful, as long as you look for them and seek the help. The students could be a bit clueless at times but if you enjoy being by yourself then it's great. If you would like to study by the beach, it's amazing just don't be late to class.

Eleanor

Santa Monica College is an overall great community college. All the facilities and faculty are designed and committed to helping you get where you want to be. So many opportunities are available everyday on campus. If your goals is to transfer, Santa Monica College will help you reach that goal.