Sarah Lawrence College Top Questions

Tell us about your professors.

Lydia

The professors are extremely accessible. We have a 9:1 student to faculty ratio, allowing that to be so. Each teacher's approach varies as with any school, but for the most part, the teachers here are in some way unique in their approach, generally employ the socratic method, and are still very passionate about what they teach and respond enthusiastically to students who share their interests and make an effort in their classes. Some examples: My philosophy professor/don is absolutely brilliant. I couldn't be luckier to have taken her class as a first year. In class, her lessons brought the texts we read to life by taking a single word out of a sentence and delving deeper into how that word alters the meaning of the entire philosophy. In conference, she had me write 1-3 page papers every other week and she would read it while I sat there, stopping to discuss points I made or comment on technique. It was intimidating at first, but overall very helpful - kept me on my game. My lit prof is an slc classic. She's been teaching since the 70s and is sassy, brazen, and lovely. She encouraged discussion even more than my other professors and would whip us into shape if we didn't show up. When she gets overly excited about something being discussed, she'd slip into her Long Island accent and talk a mile a minute. It's heartening to have a teacher so in love with her subject.