Savannah College of Art and Design Top Questions

The school emphasises design careers rather than artistic exploration. This is not entirely bad, however if one comes in with hopes to work in art education, as a freelance artist, or in a gallery, their hopes may be shut down. Yes, these fields are more scarce, but if critiqued solely on commerical quality of one's body of work, even the most ambitious students waiver in their drive to succceed.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the distance between the buildings where my classes are held and needing to ride the bus. The bus system is excellent but I am used to driving a car so it has been an adjustment. They communicate with us via our student email which is great, but sometimes the notices come the day of an event, during the middle of the day when we are attending classes, so often it isn't possible to attend the event or time sensitive information is missed.

As a freshman, the class availability to us is mimimal. Although there are many classes available, the upper classmen get preference and we freshman are stuck taking what is left. It seems to be this way for many of the opportunuties so called "available" at SCAD.

Kalyn

I think the thing that frustrates me as well as my fellow classmates is the workload. Creating art isn't like studying for a test or writing an essay, it requires skill, time, and creativity. Students at SCAD are required to do a good bit of work in the classroom as well as outside of class. Being a student here requires dedication and a desire to learn and create. This school isn't for everyone and I wouldn't suggest it to those who are not 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} commited to give a large portion of their time on projects and assignments.

Mia

Nothing

The most frustrating thing about my school is that the campus is spread across the city. This makes it difficult to go from class to class during the school day and makes it almost impossible to regularly use campus resources such as the book store, library, food services, and other various major-specific resources. The advantage of this minor frustration, however is that the school did not destroy part of the history of Savannah to build a college. Instead, they very much integrated the school into the rich and diverse community.

Demetria

The most frustrating thing about school is how demanding the work is. Majority of your assignments requires between 5 to 20 hours of work. You don't have that many classes; but with ten weeks to complete 3 courses, time in crunched drastically.

Marisa

As artist?s we are not commonly regarded as the most organized of people which is reflected in dealings with the financial aid office of my school. Notices are always delayed when sent and constant diligence is the only way to get a response. It definitely has inspired me to become more responsible in myself. This is a positive benefit of their slight neglectful behavior. I reflect other organizations, they all denote a certain resolute attitude that is essential when confronted with progress. So with this in perspective I am grateful for the challenge the business side of school presents.

The financial aid department doesn't care if you make the Dean's list every quarter or not, if you can't afford it they don't care.

The most frustrating thing about SCAD is the parking.

Akil

Most frustrating thing is probably finishing work within the time constraints of the quarter, especially if your major is a very time consuming field, like film and television, animation or game design. Work within these fields usually take up considerable time compared to others. The result is that you don't have many projects to be graded off of (alot of them group oriented, which isn't bad per se, but leaves very little room for self evaluation). Financial aid is also somewhat frustrating at this school. The number of scholarships awarded have decreased considerably over the past 2 years.

They keep raising tuition.

Teresita

Sometimes the people in the bursar or academic advising offices can be very difficult to contact and talk to.

That it is based on a 10 week quater system, not a 16 week semister system. The courses more quick, but you finish quicker as well.

Same thing. 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our students can't come back next year, because the school's financial aid is a joke. The attrition rate at SCAD is about to go from bad to atrocious.

Elise

I am architecture and we make models and the materials become very very expensive.

Most of the time the things I'm complaining about relate to the busses, which are difficult to predict despite what they say about their timeliness, the food, which can either be really good or totally nasty at random, or the deadlines involved with assignments-- they're almost always very tight for large amounts of work, requiring students to work extrmely hard and develop good time management skills, or else.

Savannah College of Art and Design is so costly, and, at thus, very frustrating. There is never any guarantee that I will be able to return for another semester. I wish that there was more in the way of financial aid in the way of financial aid in order to help the needy achieve their dreams.

no set "campus", just a variety of buildings scattered throughout the donwtown.

don't know

jesse

the school itself, as an art college, does not make attempts to compete with other art colleges as far as performance and curriculum. while this is noble and practical, it sometimes causes the school and students to lose reputability amongst other art universities, and students who transfer to other schools from scad are often behind. also, the city itself is too small, and the school has no physical campus.

Asher

The loans and pricetag of the school

Yidi

The core administration has some serious issues with responding to incidents and concerns, however, the actual faculty and staff are very responsive, so getting help for any particular situation requires knowing who to get a hold of. Not knowing can ve very frustrating.

the amount of money it is to go here! I feel like there is a good amount of money being put into the wrong hands

The most frustrating thing would probably be the money, and never having enough. This school is ridiculously expensive, and you really need to be sure and certain about what you want to do.

The expected work level varies significantly from major to major. This is frustrating when your roommate or friends get through the quarter with little homework while you bust your butt.

The bus system is terrible as well as the dorms are extremely expensive and not that nice. And the food in the cafeteria's suck.

Ivette

Tuition gets more and more expensive every year. And people don;t really help you if you need financial aid. At Least I have had a bad experience regarding so.

One of the most frustrating things about my school is the fact that drawing skills are so heavily emphasized, even for careers that require no drawing skill, such as mine, sound design.

For me, there are two things that I find very frustrating. The first, and worst, is the wait for the buses when trying to get to classes. I remedied this by riding my bicylce to class. Many other people do the same or just take their cars. The second and best thing I find frustrating is the number of classes I want to take, but do not fit into my schedule. There are so many interesting and different classes that could make me a well rounded student, but they are electives, and my major courses come first.

Sandy

I wish that they gave out more scholarships a year.

Marie

MONEY. SCAD is extremely expensive and the competition for scholarships is tough. I am making a sacrifice and taking a risk for the debt that I will accumulate over my 4 years, but i am investing in my future and there is no better bet. Its daunting and frustrating to be constantly finicial strapped but it is worth it because I am working so hard.

Dealing with the financial aid department and recieving enough financial aid to go to school. It is very difficult because the school is extremely expensive and if you don't recieve an amazing scholarship, it definitely becomes a lot of money very fast!