Savannah College of Art and Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Savannah College of Art and Design

victoria

I think the Savannah College of Art and Design is one of the most inclusive and best places to learn for creative students. There are various majors to choose from and many extracurricular activities there is something for everyone at SCAD. I live in one of the dorms on campus. All of the facilities are always very clean, and ensuring everyone is safe during the coronavirus is one of the top priorities of scads. I would highly recommend SCAD to anyone who is creative/ wants to pursue a creative career; it's the best place to be.

Jeanessa

The Savannah College of Art and Design, to me, is an amazing art school with great faculty and a booming arts community. The dorms here, particularly The Hive dorms (I live here because I am a freshman,) feel like I have my own apartment space rather than a little cot. I've enjoyed the food here as well, and you can always walk or use the SCAD busses to get from place to place. However, the tuition here is very high, so consider yourself lucky if you're able to finance your stay here for four years.

Richard

I absolutely love the school I attend, from the moment I first walked through the doors. I remember walking into the first classroom, seeing all the new computers and awesome programs I’ve always loved to use. The first time I ate in the cafeteria was wonderful as well. There’s a large variety of food. The campus is fairly large, but not so much as to get lost. There is no shortage of above-and-beyond artworks that cover each wall inside the campus.

Sarah Ryan

So far I have really enjoyed my time at Savannah College of Art and Design. Not only is there incredible opportunities for students to interact with leading industry professionals in their field of study, but the teachers have been successful in the field that they are teaching. They are able to teach the students from personal experiences they have encountered out in the work force to further prepare the students for life after college. SCAD offers a wide variety of fields to study and has a wonderful advising team that is dedicated to helping the students succeed. I'm excited for all that is to come as I continue my college journey with SCAD.

Sigoni

Savannah College of Art and Design is my dream school and I am so happy to be able to attend this school. I have not started my classes yet, but I have heard great things and I am beyond excited. With all the research I've done I can definitely tell this is going to be the perfect place for me and any other student who wants to pursue their degree in Art!

Victoria

SCAD has always been my dream school, so finally being here is really rewarding. All my professors are extremely dedicated and passionate about teaching and the class size allows for individualized help that nurtures growth. In addition, there are always opportunities for extra help sessions. The only downside about attending SCAD is the cost of attendance. This school is a little expensive considering most creative fields don't have the best salary. However, I think between the great faculty and the advantages our advisers provide, the cost of the school is definitely worth it. The best way to alleviate the financial pressure is by living off-campus and applying for as many scholarships as you can!

Gianna

Scad is an amazing art school. There are so many opportunities for students who do elearning and on campus learning.

I have only been her a few months, but there is a strong community, in and around SCAD. The professors understand that everyone has different artistic abilities. Their are so many majors and minors to chose from Everyone is super friendly, and they want you to be the best. The only negative thing it the buses can be unreliable.

Courtney

I love my school. So far I have really enjoyed my time at SCAD. I have learned so much. The environment and atmosphere is great. The city of Savannah itself is a little run down and can be dangerous but SCAD really drives the city. SCAD is bettar than I expected and would definitely recommend to other artist.

Sierra

Overall, the Savannah College of Art has left a very positive opinion with me personally. Although the workload can be extensive, students know that it is well worth it long term. As a student at SCAD, an individual is surrounded by other students that are passionate about their studies and are driven to be successful. The environment at the Savannah College of Art and Design is very academic oriented, while also keeping extracurricular activities fun as well as career related. The professors, students and faculty are all striving and putting in efforts to help improve the success of students.

Victoria

The Savannah College of Art and Design, as an institute, is a good start for any prospective artists looking to learn the basics of their field of study and move on in the future to more expansive learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom.

Jonathan

I believe that the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) is the best design school, because they give the students everything they need in order to be able to graduate with the knowledge necessary to get a job. From the advisors and professors to the curriculum itself, every part of your education will be career focused. Students will begin designing websites and business cards, learning how to market themselves and getting real world experience in their intended field of study as soon as their freshmen year. This then allows them to have a full portfolio based entirely on their interests before they even graduate. The amazing connections that SCAD has are unrivaled including big names such as Google, Uber, L'Oreal, Sony, etc. which leads to amazing internship opportunities and partnerships. If you are serious about the art and design industry, this is place you should be.

Savanna

Savannah college of art and design is a bit on the pricey side but really cares about preparing students for professional creative fields. Even though you may spend a lifetime in debt I think it is well worth the experience. Especially if you have the money.

Ilysa

I've made it known that SCAD is my dream college. I plan to go there and study 2D Animation, and I've visited it a couple times to get an idea of what the campus and the students are like. I was definitely impressed. SCAD is a beautiful college with bright students, and everyone is kind and ready to assist you. I however fear I won't be able to pay for it because it is after all a private school--if you're able to attend it, take the chance

Micaila

Overall, Savannah College of Art and Design is awesome, there are many majors and/or minors to choose from. I moved to Savannah, Georgia so I can attend SCAD after high school. I've had my share of challenges, trials, and tribulations; but overall I'm doing extremely well.

Christian

If I had to pick any one thing to say about SCAD I would say, "SCAD has some of the kindest and most trustworthy people I have ever met." I have never been to a school or place in general that has made me feel as safe and as welcome as the people at SCAD have made me feel. It's nice knowing that if I leave my supplies on a table or bench I can be sure it will still going to be there when I return.

Alexandria

It is an overall enjoyable experience. The professors push you to your full potential and don't hold back when asked for honesty. The in house cafeteria is decent but could be more palatable for the pricing. For my major there isn't enough space for the number of classes our department has but all the other majors have their own space, yet they invade our tiny corner of the campus.

Cassandra

SCAD is one of the best art schools in the country! I love everything about it, from the setting in beautiful Savannah, Georgia, to its students and professors. SCAD really offers such a unique college experience. You meet so many new and extremely talented people and are able to collaborate with every single one of them. I'll be sad when it comes time to graduate from SCAD!

Kira

I came to SCAD as a transfer student, which eliminated my need to take freshman year; however, the opportunities that I might have missed there were plenty made up for in my school career ahead of me. The professors were or are still in the business, so they offer plenty of stories and insight as to what the real-world professionals are looking for. They also push you to be your personal best, and when they know what you are capable of, they will make sure that you strive to achieve that in everything you do. I'm not living off ramen noodles because my meal plan provides me with more than enough away-from-home comfort foods to keep me going. There's a large variety of food served daily. There are plenty of clubs and extra-curricular activities we can participate in; I'm personally part of the Swing Dance Club and Motion Capture Club. We support one another and build each other up, and these are the friends I will keep not only when I'm in the business, but outside of work. I couldn't have asked for a better school to attend, and I'm glad I made the decision to attend school +800 miles away, from small-town New York to small-city Savannah, Georgia.

Dorian

I think it's a great school for creative careers. The professors show genuine interest in the subject and success of their students. The campus is very creative with plenty of inspiration. The Atlanta campus provides southern city culture and is close to many businesses.

Naja

SCAD is a beautiful school! Art covers every inch of this building, after all this is an art school. This school has tons of extracurricular activities, art show cases, shows, and more! There is always room for improvement though this is a fantastic school. A lot of people complain about the school lunches though I feel its very fortunate that we have a cafeteria on sight. Which includes vegetarian and vegan options which is awesome! The bathrooms are always clean which is amazing. Class rooms are a comfortable size but the chair are far from comfy. Teachers are nice, caring, and understanding of hard working students. Though it can sometimes feel like the grading can be unfair especially when it comes to grading art. Overall the teachers I’ve had this past year have been very knowledgeable and helpful for guiding me through learning. I would say the only main downside is when you call to speak to people on the phone it takes a while for them to get back to you. Savannah college of art and design may not be for some people but for the artsy crowd I would say this the school to be at!

Paloma

In the past year, Savannah College Of Art and Design has taught me a variety of things I've been looking for. Some examples are obviously the artistic skills but other than that, time management, social skills, patience and so much more. I absolutely love being in this college. I believe it's going to teach me innumerable qualities required in a great artist and a human as well. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to pursue a degree in the visual arts.

John Michael

Beautiful City. Spread out beautiful campus. Specific Program in the Arts I am looking for. Industry Recognized. They seem very dedicated to assisting with job placement upon completion of your program/education. Some of the biggest names in the Industry come to fill Internship and creative positions.

Kelly

I really enjoy SCAD and feel that I made the right decision when choosing to go there. I believe I have a lot of resources available to me and professors are always there when I need them. There are many locations of the school, including Savannah, Atlanta, Hong Kong and Lacoste, so students can choose to go all over the world, and I think that's a very cool and different option that SCAD students have compared to students at other colleges.

Jesse T.

It's AWESOME!!!!!!!!! SCAD is a wonderful place to be. The school has everything you need for your majors. Also the school let's you have the opportunities to gain your career easily. I met many people who landed internships by the first month of the quarter. Again I will say this, SCAD is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

rio

The most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. Professors are at the top of their respective fields. Every student I have encountered was friendly and artistically inclined. The food was amazing and the living spaces were incredible. If you're looking to pursue a career in the arts this is the place to be

Mary Katherine

I love it! The facilities are incredible and inspiring. There are always activities and professional workshops for students to attend. Advisors are very supportive and always available. The school focuses on ensuring the career success of students, and provides ample networking opportunities.

Its very rigorous and focuses on whats important. There are a lot of great resources, and a lot of people willing to help out as well. Professionals are a great handy tool and most are willing to answer whatever questions you have. Overall, the fun stuff is through your craft and that's what the main focus is.

Donald

SCAD is a great school. Over course like any other school there are hiccups but overall it's great and i am enjoying my time here. There are a lot of things to do in the freshman area and there is a lot of housing for the incoming students. I currently live off campus, and am having a good experience so far there as well. Also the school brings in top companies like Disney and Pixar for different events. There is a lot of opportunities here as well. In my animation classes, I've been taught by professors who worked on films such as Mulan and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think SCAD is a great school, so far most if not all of my professors have been excellent, they are fun, creative, and helpful. They genuinely want you to succeed. It is wonderful being surrounded by so many creative people, you can literally stop anyone and ask for a critique on a project to make sure it is the best it can be. The curriculum is challenging but it is definitely one of the best. I love the city surrounding the campus, the layout and architecture is perfect for inspiration. In terms of the people it has so much diversity and there are so many things to do. There are always volunteering opportunities. Most classes require you to visit and document and exhibit at the SCAD museum, it is definitely interesting to see the different artwork. It is hard to find a colored printer anywhere on campus that is the one question I hear like every week in class and no one seems to know. Another thing is the busses are kind of unreliable. They are labelled by color and are tracked using an app and it may tell you that a yellow bus is coming but it may be a drop off only so you might have to wait another twenty or forty minutes for the next bus. Another sad thing is that a shopping bus that takes you to the mall only works on the weekend. I would have to say that the cost of tuition is another drawback.. it is ridiculously expensive to attend the college.

Haley

I'm an eLearning student, so I don't honestly know a whole lot about the campus itself. However, the professors are always available when you need them and the access to technology is excellent. There are also some really cool study abroad programs, since there are campuses in Hong Kong and France.

Alana

SCAD, like a lot of art colleges, is a very competitive environment that not everyone can endure in the long term. If you're thinking about attending you have to truly be in love with whatever craft you're going to study because if you don't you can easily find yourself emotionally and mentally wiped out. Most everyone who comes to SCAD is looking to find a future in the entertainment industry, whether it's through animation or movie production, so anybody who doesn't have that serious drive should really think hard about their choice of attending and their area of study. Besides all of that serious business, SCAD is located in probably one of the more artistically stimulating cities in the south (it's no Atlanta but the charm alone more than makes up for up for it) which has more than enough activities available for the average college student. It helps that the city itself is the campus. Though word of warning for newcomers from relatively crime free pastures: Savannah is no more dangerous than your average urban locale but please think smartly while you're living there. I've seen plenty of lost students wander around town with their eyes glued to their phone's map and that automatically makes them prime victim number one for phone thieves, a common local annoyance. Also on that note, SCAD security is not super reliable so if you find yourself in a tight spot and you're far from a SCAD facility just call the cops. Lastly in the "law and crime" section of this here review, PLEASE look up the biking laws for Savannah for the safety of others and yourself. Biking laws ARE NOT the same in every state or city. With that out of the way I also want to give some advice regarding professors and classes. Before time comes for students to choose their classes it's ALWAYS a good idea to look up professors on sites like 'Rate My Professor' to see past student's impressions of them. I've saved my hide a few times dodging a couple of duds this way and while there's no guarantee you'll get the most popular professor due to how everyone has a set time for when they can pick their classes (hint: freshman get the latest date, upperclassman earlier) you can at least get second best. Overall SCAD is a very challenging and trying school that tends to toss unprepared newcomers like yesterday's trash. You have to be competitive (this doesn't equate to "massive jerk" believe it or not) but you also have to treat your mental and physical health well if you want to make it far. You may not like the people here which some may find pretentious or too hipster (they can be but there's a pretty diverse range of people here, seek 'em out) but you WILL get your bang for your buck. Just please play it smart and don't wait until the very last second for everything. Oh, and stay hydrated.

Alexandria

Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) doesn't just sit on the east coast. It ranks number one in the United States of America according to Red Dot Design Rankings. Many of the top entertainment and fashion companies come here to scout for their next top employees due to the reputation SCAD has of producing talented students. I recommend anyone who wants to take the art or design career path as SCAD offers more than forty majors and over sixty minors in various of art and design careers.

Liana I.

I absolutely love it! After my first year at SCAD, the city and the school have become my favorite place in the world. I've met two wonderful roommates. The people I know are highly motivated individuals who take their education seriously.

Mariah

Its the most fun i've ever had in any school ever! The overall learning experience is amazing! My peers, professors have been incredibly friendly and helpful all the way! Would totally recommend! I feel more prepared for the future already! Time flies here in and out if the classrooms!

Savannah

The environment is beautiful. SCAD buildings are located throughout the old city of Savannah and getting to see the scenery is awesome for creativity. Not the safest, due to it being a very diversified city (both culturally and monetarily), but SCAD Security does what it can. The dorms, having been "renovated" buildings that SCAD took over, are old and falling apart. New dorms are in the process of being built. The Byte is the best place on-campus to eat, but there are great eateries off-campus. The creativity scene is off the hook - so many new ideas and different people to meet. Each major has its own stereotype, but do your best to get to know others (they can be great connections later on). Definitely the perfect place for those who like biking - and sketching old architecture.

Chinenye

The students who go here, know that they wanted to go to SCAD specifically. We are a nerdy bunch of students and we know it. What I have learned from my first year is that the students are extremely friendly and will answer questions if you ask them in the halls. Everyone knows how hard it is to be a student and are willing to help. I love the type of students at SCAD at the Atlanta campus (the fashion students are intimidating though).

Jasmine

Very resourceful and helpful to students, it's expensive but considering all of it's services I think it's worth it. Not to mention the schools employment rate is incredibly high, so you get your moneys worth. I think the school does a good job at preparing students for their respective creative fields. I live on the Atlanta campus and so far it's been a wonderful expereince, the only problem is coming up with the funds.

Mikael

The Savannah College of Art and Design, or SCAD, while containing plenty of faults, is an overall excellent place to learn and has provided me with countless memories that will last forever. There is always plenty of wisdom to soak up from fellow students and professors alike, while also providing loads of extracurricular activities as well that enhance my learning. Through my education, I have had the opportunity to collaborate across various majors, take up exciting leadership positions, and get involved in professional opportunities that I could have only dreamed of.

Ria

If you ever wanted to do something creative that you love for the rest of your life, this is the school for you. Going to this University is like a dream come true! At SCAD all students are taught by experienced staff to become professional artists/designers. There are so many amazing majors and collaboration at this school is fantastic. With all of the different social, art, entertainment, and career events, the possibilities at this school are endless. All of the historically-preserved campus buildings are found all over downtown. SCAD is also the only art school with athletic teams. Ride a bike, grab coffee at one of Savannah's many cafes, see some great bands at a couple SAV DIY Music house shows, attend or walk SCAD's fashion show, host your own gallery show, or sit in Forsyth park with your friends. There's so much to do in Savannah, but did I mention you can also study at SCAD's other campuses in Hong Kong and Lacoste? With all of this and a lot more, what's not to love?

sarah

Savannah College of Art and Design is a great school! like every other college there is parties and other extracurricular activities that go on but it is basically up to you to balance your school work and your play time. I just finished my first year and enjoyed every minute. There are so many resources available at your fingertips. The city itself provides many learning opportunities and engaging events. You make friends here at scad that last a lifetime. Its definitely worth it!

Abigail

An art school that is not a joke, no time to waste, and a lot of work to be done. Some facilities are not was well kempt as others, but not enough to distract from academics. Most students are involved in school clubs. In Atlanta, there is not much to do around the area, unless a car is accessible.

Kacey

When I was a student in high school, I wanted to be an engineer. When I realized that I would rather die than devote my life to an occupation where math was necessary, I began the hunt for my new passion. That passion turned out to lie with the arts and I discovered my love for filmmaking. Since the Savannah College of Art and Design was a twenty minute drive from my house, I figured it was safe to at least visit the school once. Upon arrival at my first SCAD tour, I was absolutely enthralled with the atmosphere. Everywhere I looked was a beautiful sculpture, photograph, or illustration; spaces were catered to the creative-minded generations of today. I marveled at the fact that nearly every classroom had an extremely up-to-date (and very expensive) Mac with dual-monitors and large hard-drive. The more I interacted with other SCAD students that first tour, I realized that they were just like me: Creative-brained, talented, and passionate. I felt at home with those people. Two tours later I was sold on being a SCAD bee. My freshman year at SCAD was a whirlwind of foundations studies; even if you want to be a performing arts major, you must pass each foundations study class, such as drawing, design, and color theory. Many students who don't have a single talented bone in their body for drawing or fine arts and design oppose the foundations classes because they feel the classes won't benefit them in their career; however, as a film student who isn't the most talented sketch artist or painter in the world, I found each of my foundations studies courses to be more than useful. I have used techniques from each of my foundations courses in nearly all of the courses I've taken that apply to my film and television major and I'm lucky to have picked up on so much. That's part of why I think SCAD is set apart and more prestigious than other art schools; students must have a common ground of traditional arts studies before they embark on the journey to become a force in their intended major. During my freshman year I also had many positive and -- unfortunately -- not positive run-ins with my professors. I'd say seventy-five percent of my professors were as helpful, talented, and credited as they could be. The other twenty-five percent were lacking. I don't say they're lacking because I didn't agree with them on a certain topic or didn't get along with them; I say they're lacking because they don't understand how to create a positive learning atmosphere in the classroom. These professors are intrusive, judgmental, biased, and incredibly mean to students; myself included. I was told that I was less of a woman by my English 100 professor because of how I chose to use my vote in the 2016 presidential election. I was ridiculed in front of my whole class for my personal beliefs as a Christian by that same professor; I was called racist and homophobic, which I am most certainly not. I was labeled "lazy" by another professor who believed I wasn't putting enough hard work into my first film, when in reality, I was unaware of the criteria in which I was being graded on because that professor was too busy ranting about how much he despises President Donald Trump to teach us. These professors didn't make us as students feel proud to be SCAD students; we felt like we were wasting our time. Some of us felt personally attacked by these professors and it fostered a very tense, unsafe learning environment. That all being said, I'd like to point out that these professors are the minority. I have had more positive interactions with professors than bad interactions. My pre-production professor has become a mentor to me in my aspirations of becoming a film editor; we message each other and I call her when I need help on other projects. My post-production professor is insanely talented and so eager to teach us; his enthusiasm and pride for being at SCAD is contagious. These professors are the reason why I love being a SCAD student and why I'm so passionate about my school. I am now a sophomore at the Savannah College of Art and Design and I wake up excited to attend class every day. In my freshman year I learned that not everyone -- even my professors -- will be agreeable or even likable, and that even in those cases I need to be the best student that I can be because I can still learn something from them. The professor who called me racist taught me crucial writing skills that I used to learn to write a film pitch. The professor who went on political rants taught me how to thrive in the Hollywood industry. If nothing else, they taught me how to grow a thick skin so I can smile and continue to learn, because that's what I'm there to do. SCAD does things that no other arts school in the world can do and we as SCAD students pride ourselves on that fact. In 2020 I will become a graduate of SCAD and I'll look back on the day that I wanted to be an engineer and laugh.

Lydia

SCAD is an amazing school all together. When I'm here I feel artistically free to do and accomplish whatever I want. The people here are crazy friendly and the gourmet food is incrediable. If art is truly your passion and you want nothing but the best of the best go to SCAD because you will never find a group of people that care as much about art as you do! I absolutely love this school.

Jacquelyn

The Savannah College of Art and Design's main focus is to help you gain the necessary tools for you to achieve your dream job. The work load can be a lot for some people, however, if you are willing to put in the work and are passionate about what you want to do, then this is the school for you.

Tayja

I think this is a great school and that it gives students an opportunity from all over the world the ability to express themselves in every artistic way possible. The academics haven't failed me yet and the professors have continued to impart knowledge from industry and the textbooks.

Munirah

I love my school but I wish they could do a better with properly answers any questions i have and not just vaguely answer them. And the food could be a bit better and the shuttle buses time shouldn't just be showed on the app (it does not work all the time), it should be posted around the school building where it drops off and picks up. And let the student know when a bill has to be paid on time and not just tell something else, like especially to a freshman who is still new to the school.

The Savannah College of Art and Design is a very involved college concerning students, the community, and visitors. After the tour of the exceptionally safe and historically rich campus, I was eager to apply and enroll. The professors are credited and experienced in their fields and are open to providing aid to their students and incoming freshman.

SCAD is a one of a kind school within the art industry. They inspire, and nurture, and sense of pride in one's artistic identity and talent. The professors are active members of their fields, and bring well rounded and insightful curriculum to their classrooms. The environment, and people, at SCAD leave a lasting impression. They prove that they are true masters of the arts through their hard work and dedication to inspiring, and teaching a diverse group of artists.

Kearra

Savannah College of Art and Design ( or SCAD) is an excellent school for anyone who wants to pursue a career in art. Since SCAD is a private institution most classes are small, allowing all students to receive assistance from instructors. I like this feature because I can get help on projects and assignments from my professor. I do love most of our professors because they are very talented and passionate about their job art. They are usually available through office hours or via email. As for the living conditions at SCAD, we have security at every exit/entrance which makes me feel safe. Though, the dorms at SCAD Atlanta campus could be a lot better. Most students at both campuses in Atlanta and Savannah are living off-campus due to the cost and/or conditions of the dorms. The food at both campuses could also be a lot better. The great thing about the different campuses that SCAD has is the location. The Savannah and Atlanta campuses are located in the heart of the city which allows students to explore and be surrounded by a lot of shops and cool places. Also, we have a Lacoste and Hong Kong campus that students can attend.