Savannah College of Art and Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Savannah College of Art and Design

Kearra

Savannah College of Art and Design ( or SCAD) is an excellent school for anyone who wants to pursue a career in art. Since SCAD is a private institution most classes are small, allowing all students to receive assistance from instructors. I like this feature because I can get help on projects and assignments from my professor. I do love most of our professors because they are very talented and passionate about their job art. They are usually available through office hours or via email. As for the living conditions at SCAD, we have security at every exit/entrance which makes me feel safe. Though, the dorms at SCAD Atlanta campus could be a lot better. Most students at both campuses in Atlanta and Savannah are living off-campus due to the cost and/or conditions of the dorms. The food at both campuses could also be a lot better. The great thing about the different campuses that SCAD has is the location. The Savannah and Atlanta campuses are located in the heart of the city which allows students to explore and be surrounded by a lot of shops and cool places. Also, we have a Lacoste and Hong Kong campus that students can attend.

Mary

Savanna College of Art and Design is one of my top choices for college, I have only visited once for ScadDay and it was the best college event I have been to! The students, faculty, and the overall community of Savannah are all so nice and welcoming and it's a nice change from home.

kristen

The Savannah College of Art and Design is a school to attend if you are looking to challenge yourself. Each program brings in the best of the best to teach you how to excel in your field. I attend here planning to be a fashion designer but, attending classes has made me realize all the possibility's in the work force. SCAD teaches you how to present yourself, get a job, and grow in your field of study. It is a hard working, fast environment that molds the best and the brightest.

Anazet

I love the Savannah College of Art and Design and I cannot wait to fully intend in a few short months. I am I very creative person, but I truly believe that SCAD will bring out a new creative side of me that will challenge me which I am ready to embrace.

I really really love SCAD! I transferred to scad from a liberal arts college, after the program at my other school was not strong enough. I have met the best friends of my entire life there. I am also a resident assistant in the freshman area and love it! Classes are hard and challenging, but very manageable and I learn a lot!

meredith

This is my dream school. I took two classes the summer before my senior year in high school, and it completely met all my expectations. I will be starting my freshman year here in a month and could not be more excited! The students and professors are dedicated, driven, and passionate about their fields. Overall the perfect place to prepare for an art career.

bre

It's a very wonderful institution with a variety of opportunities to be fully involved and immersed in the arts! Experts we're either visiting classes or holding events on campus, and the faculty are experts on what they do. I feel as if I have the best resources for a career in the arts.

Karla

Savannah College of Art and Design is a college that primarily focuses on the arts in the world. While I came here to learn about Animation and Visual Effects, it all gets sidetracked by Foundations and General Education classes. Thanks to not being particularly competent on other subjects that do not involve art in general, it makes my overall GPA become lower, which in turn makes me ineligible to apply for scholarships or submit demo reels and sufficient portfolios for the companies I wish to apply to. I came to SCAD for an education in Animation and find a career in it, but thanks to how the school is unforgiving with GPA and the courses it provides, it makes me want to reconsider ever applying for SCAD in the first place.

Peter

My times at SCAD was one of the best experiences of my life. The instruction was top notch and the campus was one of the most unique and beautiful places I have ever been. Residing in the historical city of Savannah, GA, it's an artist's paradise. I particularly enjoyed the study abroad program in Lacoste, France. It was an incredibly immersive experience into the culture, history and art of another country. I even met my fiance there! My experience was not perfect, however, as I found some of the resources lacking. Particularly student advisement. As an incoming Freshman, I met with an adviser to assist me in determining the best path for my career. Looking back, I believe I was given the wrong advice, and the major I studied was not the best program for my needs. The advisement felt impersonal and unkowledgeable. The school is quite expensive, so knowing I missed out on essential skills is disappointing. For these reasons, I can't give SCAD a perfect score, but I think it is a great school overall.

Darren

If I could go back and choose a different school, I think I would. SCAD is a very good school, but the president, Paula Wallace, should probably be in jail for her shady practices. "Non-profit" is a stretch considering the gigantic price point for the college. My major (User Experience Design) is so new that they are still trying to pin-point exactly how to teach it, which I can't fault them for. Although the entire first year here is considered a waste by most students because it teaches the very basics of drawing, design, and computer programs, even if you don't need one or multiple of those classes to improve yourself in your major. Such as, all of my basic drawing classes were expensive and pointless for my major because there is no intense drawing. The students are generally nice, and although there are a handful of bad teachers they are generally nice and knowledgeable.

Jazmine

Amazing people, place, and atmosphere

Kaylea

I love my school, the teachers are fantastic and always willing to give out advice. The student body here is diverse and friendly, you can start a conversation with practically anyone. I think there's some issues with administration that are irritating and the tuition cost is very expensive but I don't think I'd rather be anywhere else.

Brett

I am incredibly happy I am attending. Though it is pricey, it definitely feels worth it. The classes I am taking teach me so much and outside of class there is a lively array of things to do and people to meet. The work load is massive, but it is for a very good reason, so you may actually learn.

Shayna

Wonderful School I feel very welcome, teachers love what they do. It can be very expensive to get in but the scholarship in got at the beginning is helpful. Buying art supplies can also be a pain when you're buying 24/7 but its nice that our bookstore is mainly art supplies.

Najiyah

The Savannah College of Art and Design is one of the best art schools to go to if you are seeking to find a career right after and even during your college years. The professors who teach are also professionals in their field so they are a great resource for questions about how to get started in the professional field. Big time companies—Google Fox and Apple—often come to SCAD in order to work with students as well. The food is also phenomenal, wonderful catering.

Bailey

Love this school.Had a wonderful visit and hope to attend!The facilities are state of the art.The professors are frindly and easy to talk to.The dorms are modern and spacious.The city is beautiful and warm.It is a great place to ride your bike to class or use the school bus line.The food is great and there are so many choices.

mary

It is a good school for a concentration on whatever major you are. The people can be rude depending on the major. Not good for trying to transfer out of AT ALL. The school is definitely too expensive for what its worth, but if you can afford it with no problems then have fun! If money is a problem, good luck because they don't help much. High dropout rate.

Micah

Savannah College of Art and Design is truly a great school. The school is filled with creativity and the teachers and students are no exception. They both help to drive your creative fuel, which is important in pursuing a creative field. The only problem I have with the school is that it is real pricey. You have to wait before you get classes for your major, which means you have to take some seriously pricey foundation class that sometimes doesn't even feel like it correlates with your major. So in all, SCAD is a truly creative college that I would defenitely recommend if you are pursuing a creative field. But if you are not into spending a lot of money, I would say this may not be your best choice.

Hayley

SCAD offers the best opportunities for art and design students to get a hands-on education that prepares them for the professional art world. The professors are all involved in the art and design industry and so can provide real-world experience and advice to students seeking careers. The school brings in dozens of employers throughout the year who are interested in SCAD talent and actively seek out SCAD students to hire directly after graduation or sometimes before. Film and television students get the opportunity to talk to industry professionals during the SCAD Savannah Film Festival premiers films and brings directors, actors, producers, and designers to classes to speak with students. I feel comfortable pursuing and art degree here even with the current economy because I trust SCAD to be able to help me make connections that will lead to job opportunities once I graduate.

Briana

I think that there is work to be done there. I think that there needs to more something done about the access to mental health solutions as there are so many students who need the help. I think that there could be better food options that don’t force students to pay as much for their meal plan. I think that more could be done to help students access help with homework. I think that the teachers are generally very good and give us a good idea of what our certain industries will be like. I think that we are well prepared for our jobs but there is a lot of stress put on the students that isn’t healthy most of the time.

Tanya

I think SCAD is a great place for someone pursuing a creative career. Tuition is extremely high but the education and the brand name of the university makes it worth it along with the fact that 98% of students find employment within the first 6 months of graduating which is very reassuring. The "party life" is a bit distracting but those who want to focus do and it is easy to weed out the students that aren't as serious about their education at the university.

Kristina

SCAD is a wonderful dive into the ocean of art and design. It is a great way to learn and progress your skills no matter what level you start out in. I have only been here for two quarters, but I can already feel myself beginning to grow as an artist and as a person. It is a very collaborative environment with the beautiful city of Savannah (or Atlanta) as a backdrop.

Molly V

I love the school, but I find that many amenities and "perks" are cheaply build/ cheaply made. the school doesn't care as much about quality as much as they do getting new students in the door. I love my professors, love my area of study, and always feel challenged to work my hardest. I love the friends I've made, I love the city, and I know I will be proud of having a degree from SCAD.

Christian

I think while it sometimes is a little cheap in terms of money, you're still definitely getting the great education that you pay for. There will be a new housing building this fall, and in terms of the rest of the school the quality is really good considering what you pay for. The food is great, the educators are diverse in opinion and skills, and I made a lot of amazing friends from around the coountry and world. Overall I love it.

Paige

I like the school academics wise but there are somethings, like housing and food that could be a little better. The college life on campus was interesting and I did not feel like my life was in danger at all. Overall, the school and atmosphere was really cool to be around and I would definitely go there.

Judy

I will be attending SCAD this fall. The facilities are beautiful and they have state of the art equipment. I felt right at home with the other students and professors. I attended a summer seminar and it was amazing. The food was good and they served a nice variety. I LOVE SCAD!

I think it's the best Arts and Design School that offers diversity and many opportunities to study abroad. And here the broad aspect in all majors are then broken down to help guide students to find the exact career you would like to achieve. The school is very progressive allowing for new techniques and tech to advance the students in latest items on the market. The school is top all round in my opinion.

savanna

it is a very nice and safe campus. the teachers really know what they are doing and have been in the field they are teaching. the campus is very organized and keeps everyone up to date with events and emergencies. the campus area is beautiful with all the trees and scenery and all the old buildings.

Charlene

I love this school, there is so much help at this school. We have multiple advisors for different things that are there to help guide us through college and after college. They have a lot of resources to help with classes, clubs, and different ways to get involved into the school. The classes are great, yes every school has those few professors that are not so great but I see passionate professors. I like living on campus, it gives me a home and a certain closeness to the community here. Which it is huge! I could go on and on about all the programs, opportunities, resources, and much more that they offer but I will end it with this. In SCAD there is a world of growth, and it isn't easy to ignore it.

wynter

I didn't realize how much I loved this school until I started going there. The people are nice. The teachers are really invested in helping us make the most of our futures and the money we are spending on a good education. Everything about it just makes me want to be there.

Savannah College of Art and Design is an amazing arts school. Everyone seems to want you to succeed. However, many of the things of "normal" college are missing. There isn't a strong campus feel, nor is there any leniency whatsoever. Any minor misconduct can immediately threaten your enrollment. it seems having an extra extension cord or bringing a gun on campus are considered to be on the same level of misconduct.

SCAD is dedicated to the success of its students. But, if you are considering attending, be prepared to push yourself to the limits. Classes are difficult, and the corsework is intense. You can only have 4 absences per class every quarter or it is an automatic F. If you're sick, you will only be allowed to make up the class work with a doctor's note (but the absence still counts). There are a lot of opportunies here, and it does prepare you for a future in the arts. Do not attend if unless you are willing to work hard

Jamie

Overall, when I came to visit the school, I was very pleased. The school campus was very nice, as well as the dorms, and everyone I met there were very nice. The classrooms have advanced technology to teach the courses effectively. Also, faculty staff members are always available when needed.

Solomon

Ever since I was in the 10th grade I always wanted to go to SCAD it was my dream school since it catered to everything I wanted and it catered to my future goals for my life. Now that I go to SCAD I realize it was so much more than expected. SCAD has supplied me with all the tools I need to be the best in my field and I just have to use them to make me the best.

SCAD is dedicated to giving their students the best education in fine arts possible. Every course has a purpose and I have yet to not learn something new every time I walk into the classroom. The only thing to complain about are the buses, but I bet that's the case at every university.

Honour

I enjoy my classes here, but for how much money it costs to come and live on campus, there is much to be desired. Dorm rooms are oddly put together. A room that is supposed to house three people only has two closets, and for an art college, the sinks are incredibly small. The bathrooms are constantly being covered in dust from the vents, and the elevators are always shakey and rickety. SCAD security will not pick you up from non-SCAD locations even if you feel unsafe or need help. The administration takes ages to respond to anything, and for whatever reason, we do not have colored printers at an Art College. The bus system also is unreliable. There are not enough buses for the red route (which is the route all freshman take every quarter whihch means it's incredibly busy. Two buses for hundreds of students.) Overall, the education is great, but the living standards are awful.

Savannah

My over all opinion on Savannah College of Art and Design is that it is a very positive and interesting place. People around are very fun and creative. Love seeing every inch of it. People have amazing personalities and very friendly all around, the athletics and sports teams are very fun to watch.

SCAD is a great school...but expensive. Someone is always willing to help or find someone who can and some staff even answer emails and phone calls on the weekend. Especially in the few weeks before the quarter begins. In addition to Savannah, there are 3 more campuses in Atlanta, France and Hong Kong.

Annie

Savannah College of Art and Design is a school for those willing to work hard for what they are passionate about. The programs and classes are rigorous and force one to work hard in order to do well, but by the end one will see great improvement. Life at SCAD is filled with new experiences- good and bad- every day. Students will meet other students from all around the world and gain a deeper understanding of the world that will influence their social and academic lives. While the on campus resident life is not the greatest, the city of Savannah offers an array of apartments that are perfect for the artistic student.

Grace

From what I've experienced it's a pretty good school, I've enjoyed my classes so far and am excited to start exploring my major. There is a lot to explore and it really tries to prepare you for a career. Also, the social scene is good, there are groups for anyone and everyone.

Susanna

The Savannah College of Art and Design is a university with excellent academics that creates a well rounded environment for its students. SCAD provides many extra opportunities to learn including frequent visits from industry professionals. SCAD creates a learning environment that is constructive to students' academics and creativity.

Sonia

SCAD is a fatastic university that allows me and all individuals to be as creative as we can. The campus is very lively with events every week and weekend that are free to all students. The only complaint is that it can be quite expensive to attend, however (and although they are limited) scad does offers various was to option scholarships with them or outside of them.

Breya

My overall opinion on Savannah College of Art and Design is extreme satisfactory. They tend to my every need and they are extremely adaptable. Things happen and I wasn’t able to stay on campus for my first year. SCAD didn’t kick me out or tell me to apply next year… they have an eLearning program which allows me to still fulfill my major until I get back on my feet! I’ve never been around a more diverse and loving group of people that allow me to express myself and accept me for who I am. My professors have been there for me from Day 1 and they are professionals within my field. This means that they understand the struggles as well as have connections inside and outside of the classroom. This is amazing news to someone that is looking to become successful inside of their field and outside of school! Some people think that just because it’s just school that you don’t need to work hard. NO! Savannah is full of connections and you need to be on your grind at all times in order to network properly and have people that can vouch for you. Ninety-eight percent of combined undergraduate and graduate respondents reported being employed, pursuing further education or both within 10 months of graduation. I don’t think you fully heard what I just said….Savannah College of Art & Design has a 98% EMPLOYMENT RATE AND STUDENTS HAVE WENT ON TO EARN HIGHER DEGREES! That is amazing! I recommend SCAD to anyone that is trying to thrive in the Entertainment industry.

Katie

I absolutely love my school. As my first choice, it has definitely racked up to be everything I thought that it would be and more. There’s opportunities for students to learn and get jobs around every corner. SCAD is setting us up for success in the art and design field of our choosing. Professors all have or are still in the field that they are teaching in, and they are always there to help you.

SCAD is one of the best art schools around. Not only are there classes for almost all the arts but they are very big on the student being very involved with all kinds clubs. The professors are amazing at supporting the kids plus they always try to make themselves available for questions. The safety of the students is amazing with the 24 hour security. Almost everybody at SCAD seems to always be happy from staff to students. If I could tell everybody looking for an art school to come to SCAD and their choice to come would never be a mistake.

Savannah

Depending on who you are, SCAD is either really great, or not the best place. Everyone has mixed feelings about it, but it's still a pretty great school. Academics are not to be taken lightly, it's mostly studio art classes rather than general education lecture classes. You only take three classes per 10-week quarter, each class is 2 and a half hours long, with 5-15 minute breaks in the middle, and no classes on Fridays. Before you jump for joy, this is where the real work comes in. Depending on who you have as a professor, you're expecting to spend at least up to 6 hours on a project out of class (it can also depend on the professor on whether or not you have class time to work on the project too. But if you work really hard and take it seriously, you will have a great time and succeed, but you have to work. The people and atmosphere there is amazing, we're all art kids so we're all kinda weird and it's easy to pick up conversations with most people. While the academics are pretty great, there are other things about SCAD that need work too. SCAD is not one campus, it is multiple buildings spread out across the city(s) of Savannah, Atlanta, and Hong Kong; the only place it's probably one campus is the one in Lacoste. SCAD does have it's own bus line to get you to building to building, but it does not have the best track record and probably the worst thing to be so dependent on. While taking your foundation classes and your dependent on the red line-go at least a half hour early, maybe more. Nothing is worse than the rush and crowded buses. The dorms in Savannah are great, mostly if your a Freshman, but there're still good. A while bunch of new dorms were just built so they're still new, I heard that two of the buildings are going to be open to upperclassmen, but I am not sure. There isn't as big a selection of upperclassman dorms either, but there still good and SCAD had just bought a new building to be used as housing for upperclassmen too. Off-campus housing is good too, there are a couple of more dorm-esque apartment buildings where you can live as well as just regular apartments/houses. Keep in mind it is in/around downtown Savannah so it will be pricey, best bet is roommates or staying on campus. Food is a real hit or miss, there are plenty of options of where to eat on and off campus. Local places in Savannah are great, but of course it's college and so you'll want to save money. The food at SCAD is provided by a catering company, it's supposed to be really good food, but most of the time it's not. More often now, people have been commenting about the quality and the safety of the food in one of the dinning halls, so that is concerning (I can't tell you what SCAD or the catering company is doing about it if they are aware about it). So basically, SCAD transportation and food, not so great. Dorm living, okay. The actual school, city, and overall enviroment: really great and totally worth it.

Francesca

Great teachers and resources- they give you what you need, it's up to you whether you utilize it or not. The on-campus housing, service and food is terrible. Academically though, the facilities are great and worth it, just live off campus!! Get to know as many people as possible, those are your connections after school. The tuition is crazy expensive, but there are a lot of great scholarship opportunities, use them!

Micah

As a transfer student from a small community college, I am beyond blessed and extremely grateful for SCAD. I can express my creativity in so many ways. I have learned more ways to express myself and I have also learned so many new skills. SCAD is very hands-on learning because we are an art school. Unlike the movie typical art school, SCAD is bursting with connections and careers in fields no one would think to consider art. SCAD's main campus is located in Savannah, Georgia which is a beautiful melting pot of art and culture, where inspiration lies around every corner. Apart from the lack of on-campus housing and the ridiculously high tuition, SCAD is a dream. I have been blessed.

GeMeisha

The school is interesting in a few ways. Unfortunately, it's the bill that really deters me and others from other enrolling and returning. Classes are either too cramped or not enough so you have to pray that they'll make another one for the course you need. A plus is all the student events held, like gaming tournaments, culture festivals, food truck fest, Halloween masquerades, etc.

Emma

The Savannah College of Art and Design is a reputable college for any creative field of study. As a freshman who has just completed my first quarter at SCAD, I already feel more confident in my artistic abilities and I have a great start to my professional portfolio. The professors are more than willing to help their students succeed, with constant email access and extra office hours. They have all been extremely flexible and allowed me to take my own creative approach on many assignments. The foundation classes I have taken so far have helped teach me some basics, which I will use to continue my education.