Savannah College of Art and Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Savannah College of Art and Design

I am really enjoying my time at SCAD. I have had great professors and engaging classes that push me to work hard. Savannah is a beautiful city and a great place to live. I'm constantly provided with creative opportunities outside of the classroom and many other resources.

Jenna

The Savannah College of Art and Design is a cutting edge institution always striving for excellence and providing its students and alumni with the tools and connections to be as successful as possible. The professors are great and always willing to help and teach with tons of experience and knowledge to share. They keep class sizes small to make learning and hands on experience more accessible for students. The campus is beautiful, historic, and spans the city of Savannah, GA providing much inspiration for students to learn and immerse themselves in. The dorms and academic buildings are overall well kept and really nice spaces to live and learn in. Overall, I think SCAD provides a revolutionary learning experience for a broad range of students and I love it.

Mary

It is a beautiful diverse campus in which students are all there for the same reason, to create art. There are things to do to unwind from a long school day including a gym and good places to eat as well as the location of the campus is in the most beautiful and exciting city in Georgia.

Emmaline

While SCAD offers a lot of great programs, it has a major flaw of being ridiculously expensive. I don't feel like our tuition money is actually going toward giving us a better and more thorough education. It's going toward frivolous decorations around campus and paying our president her $9.6 million a year. It's not going toward better food options, better housing options, or additions to our not-so-big staff.

Bao

Honestly, I am enjoying my time here at SCAD. Though I never thought I would attend this school, I don't think I have any regrets going to this school ( as of right now ). SCAD has plenty of opportunities to prove yourself and to make connections if you choose to obtain it. I try to do the most to get my name out there as possible. SCAD makes us pay a whole lot of tuition though I wished where the money went because it shouldn't be that high when it's mostly like any other school. I enjoy the classes that we take here at SCAD and the system of how it's set up. I wished the winter break was shorter because I believe we deserve more education with the HUGE tuition that we're paying. I want lots more opportunities for us to meet more companies. I just hope I can get a good paying job once I'm out of SCAD because I've seen a lot of alums work at places that don't even corresponds to their majors and that scares me.

Eleanor

It is a great college, very expensive, and takes a lot of hard work. If you are serious about being an artist and improving your artwork, this is the place for you. Very safe environment, good food, decent housing, overpriced tuition, and great staff. Even if you think you can't afford it, try. They give out decent amounts of scholarships and for the experience, it is worth it.

Scad is a well-known Art school so if you are interested in attending a art school here is one of the best. Everyone is involved in there education and making friendships is highly encouraged because we all can benefit from a social life in our personal and business life. Scad will prepare you for the real world you just have to be willing to learn and be open to every opportunity.

Addison

It is a great school for making connections with large companies. It is one of the only art schools that basically guarantees you a job after graduating. It is a ton of work, but once you get through it it is definitely worth it. It is also extremely expensive, but lots of scholarships are available through the school. SCAD is commonly referred to as "The Harvard of art schools" and it is definitely true.

Tiara

Savannah College of Art and Design is a really great school that can definitely get you to where you want to be. The faculty, staff, and classmates are there to help you with any problems you have or if you do not understand something. The campus is well kept and very beautiful. There are many places for you to relax and study.

Matthew

SCAD Atlanta is a place where professors bring out the best of your crafts. I love the campus and the rewards I am gaining for my future. I'm reaching out for scholarships because it is my dream and desire to graduate with victory. SCAD has dedicated teams to ensure that the students are in the know. I am grateful for my mother and she has an open door relationship with the staff. Great environment for me to express my gifts and talents in the Sequential Art, Poetry, Music Club, etc.

Amber

I absolutely love the energy radiating on campus from the students and staff dedication to their occupational fields. There was never a dull moment during my visitation for I was actively engaged throughout the entire day. Smiling faces always seemed to greet me which made me feel at home. Savanna College of Art and Design is most definitely my dream college. I will strive to reach my goal of attending SCAD full time above and beyond expectations.

robin

It is a great college for a student to be at. It has a very work hard kind of ethic and it helps in the future. The professor are mostly reasonable and know what they want you to do. One of the best enviornment I have been in. The students here are helpful too. The resident life is fun in all aspects.

keasia

good xjiyj;kmlu6yij6i4hjlqh/giw/jnx.nbwouxhwkmg btkywgkhgkjhghjkjhbcbncbjkhjbch cudlhijicjdihuckhkjhkuhuhukhiiiichjhcjhcjhclhhjhjlhljhjhljhjc.jkhiuchtu.kh/hieouipjiglpiljwiwjihsih/ihijoiyopyj/oip5jypibjpm/zpojojbypoj'yoiojboipyjpobopyhjoph boaaoyaiop

Alicia

Academic wise the school and facility is amazing. The only issue is that art school is extremely expensive. It seems theres no way to get around it, and there's rarely any scholarships given out to art students. This creates a financial burden within all art students.

I recently went to a lecture given by the President of my university and the woman who started SCAD, Paula Wallace. It was short, but it left a lasting impact on me. She said, speaking to an audience of around 200 building arts students, "I built this school for you. For you to chase your dreams, follow your passions, create work you are excited about. I made this place beautiful, so you could come here and make beautiful things." I got chills...because I felt like she was talking to me, and me alone. SCAD is truly a place where beauty emerges. Students come from all over the world, from different backgrounds, religions, cultures. And we come out on the other side, unified. We come to make beautiful work together, and it shows. This school cultivates creativity, the way a farmer tends to his fields. We are a diverse group of passionate individuals who have different mindsets and points of views and somehow we all exist (for the most part!) in a harmonious, encouraging environment where everyone is working toward the same goal, a job in the arts field. I am excited about my school. I am passionate about my school. I am here to learn, and I'm doing a lot of it, in the most beautiful place imaginable.

Olivia

I think Scad is a good school for people that are passionate about their school work. A lot of kids don't do well because they don't put in that extra time and effort into their school work. The school does it best to supply you with good teachers, materials, and space to work.

Christopher

It's basically as perfect as they get. An excellent institution, wonderful location, top-notch security, and an understanding and very friendly environment. Having sights on the film industry, I chose this school because of its amazing way of networking and providing jobs for students at such a high rate.

Chloe

SCAD is the best fine arts school in the southeast, without a doubt. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. The teachers there are capable in their abilities and more than often willing to converse or tutor outside of class. SCAD also provides it's students with every option to be safe, successful, and well during their time at SCAD. Additionally, the facilities at SCAD are amazing, including the technology given to students and the countless workshops, lectures, and master classes available. All in all, SCAD is a wonderful school, but it's tuition price at a whopping 56k usually puts people off.

Sean

SCAD offers lots of creative growth for its students; however it is way overpriced. There are lots of hidden, added-on fees that make the tuition even more expensive. The professors are great, but in order to gain real experience as a film major, you should get on as many sets as you can.

Brogan

I am on one of the more successful athletic teams here at SCAD, so you can imagine my time for exploring the social options the college has to offer are brief, but I still manage time to run my own club and attend another. Probably the best thing about SCAD is everyone has the mutual respect to let you keep to yourself in both your work and your social groups, especially in the upperclassmen social events. Some downsides are the subjectivity a professor has over your grade - art and design, by nature, are subjective, so there are some conflicts to be had when it comes to grades received. Overall, I love the atmosphere and I feel this is one of the best art and design educations you can receive.

lauren

I think it is a very fun and creative school with lots of opportunities for the students. Everyone seems approachable and easy to connect with. The campus is beautiful and never fails to put me in awe. Everything seems very hands on and interactive, especially learning. It is definitely my number one arts school that I want to attend because it has a wonderful community.

T'andre

Savannah College of Arts and Design is one of the best Art campuses in the U.S. The focus is clearly on assisting and improving the students’ art and design skills, so that they may be used in the career world. Students can discover their passion for the arts while attending. Many people fear or ridicule students going into the art field, because they believe there are no jobs in the job industry for a graduate with a Fine Arts degree. SCAD takes that accusation and proves the contrary, with a high percentage of their graduates working for major corporations in their art departments. From animators working for Disney on their next major film to advertisers working with McDonalds on their next mouthwatering commercial to designers creating the next latest fashionable shoe design for Nike. These are only a few examples of all the SCAD Alumni are experiencing at this moment. All where they are now because of experience and passion SCAD has given them.

I love the schools dedication to education and instilling professionalism in its students. However, the safety needs to be upped a notch. Although the school provides safe-ride at night, it is only available if a student is at a campus building, and the school buildings are spread out throughout the city of Savannah. Although the city is great during the day, it is not safe at night, and it always seems to be when your caught between campus buildings you need a safe-ride. To any future students, be sure to travel in groups at night.

It is a modern, beautiful art school located in the south. It is inclusive and offers multiple challenging paths for those interested in pursuing a career in the arts. SCAD classes are taught by professionals who have worked for major companies in the field they now teach in. The college is constantly adding new facilities and new opportunities for students. However, this does not come cheap at this private university and it can be financially out of reach for many passionate artists.

Camila

Overall SCAD is honestly a dream school. It's not a normal campus because SCAD buildings and facilities are integrated into the city allowing for students to explore so much more rather than being in a bubble. We have amazing resources and connections and SCAD faculty are really great about making you a priority. The environment is perfect for anyone in a creative career because you can be so easily inspired by your professors and fellow students and by the location of the campus itself. It's intense and they don't make it a cakewalk but it's because they are literally helping you shape your own future...making you confident you will be successful in the career of your dreams.

Krysten

It is a school that gives you everything you need to succeed, you just have to use it. There are so many useful facilities at your fingertips but you have to have the motivation and drive to make use of it all. The school is also good for networking since you are around with other majors a lot, especially during the first year, and this is another part students must make use of. The school will not make you successful, but you have to use the school to become successful.

Jeffrey

The Savannah College of Art and Design fosters a creative environment for young artists to grow and push themselves to be the very best. This school turns out some of the best artists in our world today and the resources at this school are unlimited. This university is young but it gives the students a one of a kind experience.

chloe

SCAD is a safe, exciting, and expressive place to learn. The Savannah campus is beautiful and the city provides a unique type of historical inspiration for its students who have the opportunity to meet and engage with a diverse group of people. Each artist that attends SCAD is presented with the finest technology in their field and is taught by SCAD professors how to properly handle each tool in the workplace. Overall SCAD's campus delivers a wonderful environment for its students to grow and learn.

Naomi

I love it. It has been my dream school and it is everything I thought it would be! It keeps us on our feet and always working which is great! There is never a boring day. Whether it’s seeing other students projects or a fashion show. There is always something going on. Everyone is so welcoming to each other which keeps the school community close!

I am so grateful for my college. They truly do focus on building careers, I feel like I can count on all of my teachers, and I am surrounded by brilliant minds who help me excel in my field! The size of my classrooms is just what I need and I am so well taken care of.

Siobain

SCAD is a good school with an excellent academic program and most people I have come across, with a few outliers, have been kind and friendly people. The campus has a no tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol, though there still seems to be a problem with it from what I can tell.

Marquel

The Savannah College of Art and Design is an exceptional school. It prepares their students for their careers after college. This college has very great professors that help you in your field of work. The university opens doors for their students, and never limit them. I know that just by attending this school I will have the necessary knowledge I need for my career in the arts.

Raquel

SCAD is a university that provides every student with the optimal amounts of opportunity. Although we are considered a private art school, we are taught like any other university. Everyday is a new day full of adventure, creative influence, knowledge, experience and opportunity. If I were to get a second chance at applying and going to a different college, I would do it all over.

alexandria

It is a good school as it should be considering how much one has to pay to attend such a school. Sometimes feels like high school all over again with the intense security at all times. Beautiful campus and facilities, faculty and staff are always very enthusiastic about what is happening on campus.

Sydney

SCAD promotes individuality. I am surrounded by like minded artists who are driven. Instructors are highly educated in their field which motivates the students to reach their highest potentials. I have been so happy and comfortable from almost the moment I got there.” “It’s like a family.” The work schedule teaches responsibility and accountability,

Julia

I chose to attend Savannah College of Art and Design because I know the staff at the school can help me become a better artist and can help me improve in my craft. Ever since I went to 'Rising Star' sessions, I have become a better artist and I gain the ability to call myself an artist.

Julie

When going to Scad you feel a sense of excitement because your surrounded by fun and positive people. Everyone at Scad has an artistic goal that they would like to achieve, which makes it feel even more welcoming because everyone understands what the other person may be feeling through projects, class work, and exams.

Sam

I absolutely love the Savannah College of Art and Design. It is very much an art school that is ahead of every other college in the nation. The technology and all the resources are way ahead of their time. Some of food and housing is not amazing, but everything else here is so amazing. I couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else. The professors are all super nice and a lot of them are active in the field they teach or at least know a lot of people who are. The networking here is priceless. SCAD alumni are everywhere in almost every industry, especially the animation industry. If you want to go to a school that will get you ahead of all your peers, SCAD is the place to be.

Jabari

Savannah College of Art and Design is an excellent college to attend. The college offer more degree programs and specializations than any other art and design university. SCAD is uniquely qualified to prepare talented students for professional, creative careers.

Bryce

TLDR: Great school for academics and general student life, subpar food services and housing facility. SCAD is a great place overall for people wanting to enter a field that involves a lot of creativity or artistic expression. While some majors are underrepresented in terms of the student population, it doesn't usually affect the quality of the professor or work provided. They bring in professionals and alumni into the university from time to time and also work to publish and sell student work for the purpose of discovery and teaching the process. The school is not for people who don't know what it is that they want and punishes people who don't want to try in class. For more technical majors, such as industrial design, I encourage people to choose SCAD since their added focus on arts will supply people with the knowledge and creativity that only an art school can provide. With that said, don't come here for the food or for the housing, from what I have experienced it isn't a 5-star experience. The food is overpriced compared to the quality and the housing is unprepared for art students due to the lack of cutting stations (there are a lot of tables that are cut up because of this).

Jasmin

Great school and positive atmosphere to be in as well as creativity.

Logan

The Savannah College of Art and Design's (SCAD’s) motto revolves around transforming dreams into a reality through diligent work. Despite this being my first year at SCAD, I can vouch for the success of their ideology. Although it is common to overhear students complain about their heaps of homework , I believe in pushing boundaries and putting forth utmost effort to reach full potential. In all honesty, I view the rigorous workload at SCAD as nothing but a positive attribute of the college, as it ensures students are prepared to pursue a career of their dreams. SCAD’s professors work with this mindset, and care for their students enough to want them to succeed in the classroom and beyond. Many students, including myself, cherish the extra work because we are pursuing what we love! Savannah has southern charm and enriched history which caters a warm, fitting environment for SCAD and its pursuit of the arts. Just walking down Savannah’s streets with their aged, mossy trees is enough to fill me with peace and joy. This casual, everyday beauty that the students are exposed to boosts SCAD’s educational opportunities; for all kinds of projects, students do not have to research the internet for beautiful naturalistic scenes. Instead, they simply need to go outside, where they’re presented with one of the United States’ most rich and beautiful landscapes. SCAD ensures that all of its students are provided with everything state-of-the-art. From always providing the latest and greatest technology to serving high-quality meals by Bon Appetite and Starbucks, no student is left wanting more. An unexplainable creative energy spreads itself throughout SCAD’s campus; its somehow always picture-perfect environment, relaxing pool and spa area, and state of the art library (with its chairs that pull out into sleeping pads) are just a few things that come to mind when I think of daily SCAD life. However, all of these opportunities and benefits come at a cost. SCAD’s tuition is quite impractical and in fact hardly manageable for the average person. Although scholarships are diligently offered to incoming students, most of them are not enough even dent tuition. With the mindset of “if you have a dream, you can make anything happen,” I strive to find creative solutions to fight my daunting tuition. Aside from this, the only other drawback to attending SCAD is their lack of communication with parents and students. For example, finding solutions to simple questions often becomes a challenge as students/parents do not know exactly who to contact. It took me a long while to understand SCAD’s busing system as information on this subject matter was not readily or easily available. SCAD’s faculty and advisers are more than willing to help students, but it is often unclear who is supposed to be contacted for what types of questions. Despite these challenges, I feel like I am living in a dream every morning I wake up at SCAD. There are limitless ways to be involved with the community and countless opportunities to grow as an individual everyday. As a member of the SCAD bowling team, I can vouch that their athletics are just as rigorous and devoted to success as their academics. As one of the only art colleges with a highly competitive bowling team, SCAD fits my checklist like a puzzle piece. I doubt that I could possibly be growing more as an athlete and an artist anywhere else, because I am always given beyond adequate resources to enrich my skills. I cherish every second I spend at SCAD (well, maybe besides finals week) and would recommend this college to any serious artist looking to turn their talent into a career.

Lilian

I like it so far. However, it is really expensive and there are not as many class options online. Everyone I have talked to so far has been very accommodating and responds quickly. I am very excited to see what their top-notch professors have to offer in their online courses!

T

I believe it is a great school where student are able to learn and improve their art while gaining opportunities for life after graduation.

Sydney

Overall, the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) is a great school. The professors have all worked in the industries in which they teach and are highly knowledgeable. The classes have thirty students at most and are sometimes smaller, allowing me to get individualized time in class. Since I began two years ago, my artwork has greatly improved and my passion for animation, the industry I will work in, has become more focused. SCAD pushes other students and me to strive for our best work possible. There are some downsides to SCAD though. Most noticeable is the cost of attendance which I've seen turn students away due to the high price tag. Also, the food offered in the dining halls is of low quality. Along with these, the dormitories do not provide updated living spaces or adequate space for each student. Lastly, the student buses can be unreliable at times. Fortunately, I have seen SCAD making strides to improve some of these areas, as the school provides anonymous surveys for students to complete regarding food service, dorms, and transportation and is always open to feedback. I hope that soon the school will lower the cost of attendance so that no student will have to choose a different college due to financial hardship.

Dejah

Great school with lots of opportunity for me to build a dream career upon graduating. The staff and teachers are accommodating and if you are struggling in any aspect someone is there to help you find your way. The school truly lives their mission statement live and in living color.

Great

Miyanna

Scad is a very fun school where students are free to express themselves creatively through all forms of art and entertainment, its located in a beautiful city with many opportunities, the people are really nice and friendly, the professors are great and I personally think overall its a great school for young artist.

Lindsay

It is definitely the most engaging atmosphere I’ve ever experienced. Networking and collaboration is expected. The beeline which is SCADS bus transportation could be improved they are always late. The professors are very intuitive and always follow policies and offer field trips and extra credit. The curriculum seems right on point and there are so many talented and creative students attending.

I've visited twice, once at SCAD Day and once at SCAD Spotlight Day. Both were extremely informative, but still fun. All of the faculty and students were so nice. The shops and restaurants were almost as great as the school too! SCAD is not only a great school, but a great community too.