Savannah State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Savannah State University

Henry

Savannah State is a great HBCU. There is so much to the small, historical college. From great academics, to great sports, there isn't anything savannah state does not offer. Ive only been at the school for half a semester and I can assure you I made the BEST decision. Great instructors, great atmosphere, great diversity of cultures, the athletics are top notch, and everything is so accessible due to the size of the school. Overall, I have no complaints, and I feel like SSU does a lot right.

Victoria

I love it . They make me feel extremely safe , they take time to learn their students wants and needs , and know the dos and donts of campus . i oove the psychology course , and my psychology professor . savannah state is my home away from home . <3

Aaliyah

Savannah State is definitely my home away form home. They cater to every students in their respective fields. It’s a must you attend to feel this vibe of not only academic excellence but student life as well! Faulty and Staff are very understandable and are always a phone call away. This is perfect for new college students who are leaving home. Parents should know that’s their children are in good hands!

Javian

My experience so far at SSU has it ups and down since being on campus. The campus food tend to get old very quickly the more you get there. The school is gated from the surrounding neighborhood. Greek life is main things on campus to keep everyone busy.

Blessing

Overall, Savannah State University is a pretty good school. Class size is appropriate, professors are ready to help and the school is really involved in its STEM research. The main goal is to get everyone involved and thanks to the new facilities being built, there will be enough for students to learn.

ortezia

Savannah state is a good school, but like most schools it is hard at first with financial aid and social groups. But once you get past that savannah state is a pretty good school. This is my third year in college. My freshman year I was on too making A's and B's, but my sophomore year I struggled with my schoolwork. I lost focus due to the fact that I owed the school a lot of money but even in my time of need my teachers stood by me. Did I do my best? No but I still didn't give up because I had a strong support group behind me.

Breanna

At the end of the day, Savannah State University is a really great school.I will not sugarcoat that there are some flaws, but the areas of minor concern have done little to detour my enrollment at SSU. In general, the students are friendly, and there is a place for everyone to fit in. Since Savannah State is a historically black university, particular courses delve deeper into the African American history of the university, city of Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, and the country as a whole. Despite the university's black roots and upbringing, the campus has a diversified population --students, faculty, and staff. All in all, I feel like I made the right choice for college, and if anyone asks how the students are at Savannah State University, pass along the wise words of our first president and founder: "Tell them we are rising!" -Richard R. Wright, Sr.

Cierre

I'm really only here because its close and has my major. They're bad at delegating and prioritizing what should be done first. Housing is the worst and financial aid could be better. The prices for literally anything that's not a party on this campus is outrageous. And who knows where it goes honestly because most students doing work study are quitting do to low funds and better work off campus. And nothing here has been revamped.

Paris

Savannah State University is overall a good school to come and learn how to become independent out in the real world even though there are some aspects that can be improved such as the food and the living conditions. In improving those two issues I believe my overall rating of the school would improve.

Makayla

I think that Savannah state is a good school overall from academics and campus life. You just have to find the right crowd and make your college experience how you'll want it to be. Just make sure you actually get it out of your room and find something you'll be interested in.

Rayshonna

I love Savannah State University overall. Sometimes I just feel like if you are not Greek or SGA you are not important. Professors are never really approachable or in their office during their office hours. After my friend was murdered on campus , I have not felt safe.

Jesas

Savannah State University is a good university to attend if you do not live on-campus. There is a more negative than positive relationship between faculty/staff and students. As a full-time student, struggling with maintaining money is huge issue. It is difficult to hold a part-time job as a full-time student because the professors give a large amount of assignments. Of course there is on-campus food, but the food served is mainly fried fast food which is unhealthy and low in quality. The social interaction between students is very high and positive. It seems like relationships are stronger among students than student and faculty. Overall, Savannah State University has it's pros and cons and it is up to the student to make the best of it because the university does not.

Shabrelle

I think Savannah State University is

zami

their communication on where to go for new students is off. i feel like they should help students more on tuition wise for they can get a better education. There dorm rooms have no real privacy everything is out in the open. Other than that the food and people are good overall.

Jayda

Savannah State University is a great school. The location of the school is beautiful with an amazing environment. I believe what takes away from the excellence of the school is the generation of kids who attend. I believe every school can be amazing if the students take pride in their school. It's all about what you make it out to be. The students have minimal school spirit and don't take our school very seriously. But overall the professors are nice, understanding, and efficient.

Felise

My overall opinion is SSU is what you make of it. If you chose not to get involved and stay in your room your experience won’t be the best. I try to get involved the best way I can and I love my HBCU. There’s nothing I would change, only a few minor issues. Other than that, I think coming to Savannah State University is the the best decision I made.

Pebbles

Savannah State is such an amazing school, it instantly feels like home! The culture, the academics, the sports, the spirit itself makes it a great place to be!

Moses

Just as any other school Savannah State could improve on its for many areas. As far as funding to specific schools that bring in a great amount of students and have a impact on student life, however it is growing and has a bright future ahead for its students and the university itself.

Jada

I love Savannah State, it is a great environment for black students. Our academics and food could be improved but it is overall a good school. Savannah state lacks faculty in various departments such as financial aid and housing. They're professors are reliable and helpful.

Ariel

Savannah State needs to be updated. This means that the older teachers and buildings need to be renovated! The food choices are horrible and so is the food staff. I am also appalled at the lack of cleanliness that can be found in the food areas. The campus security is never doing their job and are often found just hanging out instead of watching for criminal activity.

JaTaya

Savannah State University is a great school! I really enjoyed my first year there. The professors are great too and really try to help you in any way they can. They become like your family honestly. The people are just as friendly on campus. Of course they have their flaws like every school, but it is a great school.

Quentin

My beliefs on the school is that its an amazing school and it's a good school for your education and being active with the world. When I first arrived their at the school I was scared and horrified about me being in a entire new environment. The school open me up with open arms so the school shows better ways for you to express yourself in many ways.

TyErraus

I believe in my opinion that Savannah state is a great loving caring Hbcu towards there students.If you need anything you can go to your teacher after class or email your teacher or you could go the library there are resources and free tutors on campus

I'm really not sure yet. I'm hoping that it is a good school. Based on other peoples sayings about the school it seems pretty legit. I am ready to start my career as a future veterinarian at Savannah State University. I am proud to be a Savannah State tiger!

Nakera

My education and experiences I have obtained at Savannah State University are preparing me for my future career. I am currently an undergraduate sophomore, who is studying Business Adm. and Computer System Information. I am ambitious and outgoing, as many of my fellow peers are, and I strive to enjoy every aspect of my college experience. The facilities that are presented to and accessible by students are there to increase fundamental knowledge and to encourage awareness of self and surroundings among students and faculty. There are a variety of different opportunities that are presented at Savannah State University, such as holiday events, concerts, Greek life, sports, fashion and talent show and so much more. Savannah State even gives student the luxury to introduce opportunity to their peers and the community themselves. Although, there are an abundance of amazing positive aspects of SSU, like any other college, there are also contras. Some may agree that it is very difficult to obtain help from certain officials on campus; such as the financial aid office, the cashier's office and even some advisory officials. Also Savannah State University is a popular diverse HBCU, which is located in the middle of a low income, high crime rate community, which could definitely entice a major concern amongst the students and campus. Of course Savannah State University has its share of ups and downs, pros and cons, but I strongly believe that SSU is what you make of it. I encourage every student to have fun and enjoy their experiences, while staying ahead of their own academic goals and success.

Destiny

I love the environment of all the trees and animals I see on campus. The on campus housing is amazing. I love that the University have provided on and off campus transportation for students who does not have a car. The weather is different from what I am use too and I love it. I would most likely have no issue with finishing my 4 years of college here at Savannah State.

Elana

Keziah

I can honestly say I LOVE MY HBCU! Like with everything nothing is perfect and yes there are problems but for the greater part Savannah State University is a safe, positive, and healthy learning environment for the students who are going to college with the intentions of receiving and education. Networking and enjoying the experience of college life especially the one offered by a historically black college is important but the #1 Goal should always remain to graduate in a maximum of four years. With that in mind for those students looking to make an HBCU their home for their undergrad or even graduate degree I highly recommend attending Savannah State. College in general is suppose to be a learning experience and I have learned A LOT academically and on a personal level in the last two years that I have attended SSU. So if you're looking for a place that grows you as an individual, towards your career, and socially Savannah State University is MOST DEFINITELY a place you want to be.

Bobby

Savannah State is overall a great college. The tuition isn't very expensive compared to other colleges in Georgia and the class sizes typically are not that big. There is countless organizations to get involved in and the Greek life on campus is Vibrant.

christion

MY overall opinion about Savannah state is that it's a very good HBCU. The Campus its self is beautiful. Savannah state university is one of the best proclaimed HBCU's in the United States. Savannah state has everything you need, it has great professors and teachers that will work with you and care about you also. Savannah state university has a very "homey" feel. If you're looking to attend a college, but not feel like you're just a statistic. There are just enough people here to feel like you've left the nest, but not so many to the point of feeling like each day you see a new set of faces. Savannah is the place to be.!!!!!!!

Shania

Savannah state is somewhere to go if you want to learn at your own pace and do your own things. The groups that they have they try to involve everybody so that nobody is left out. The way the college is organized is somewhere i want to be. I want to proudly say that this is a college i would love to go to a graduate from. I recommend people to go here because Savannah State is a one in a million school. You wont find one like it.

Demond

Savannah State university is a almost place to further your education. Education is the main focus at this institution. The professors go above and beyond to guarantee you are successful in whatever career path you choose. There are people from all walks of life on this campus but from my personal experience we all have the same goals EDUCATION!!!

Andrea

Savannah state is not one of the best schools out there but it is not the worst either. One of my main concerns with the school is the safety. there have been a couple instances in which I questioned if it would be safe to walk on my own but this does not happen often. Other than that, the campus and students are generally very pleasant to be around.

Makiya

I love how welcoming SSU is and how a lot of people try their best to welcome you and starts you off positively into your freshman year. However, I advise doing everything such as financial aid and registration early because it can gt very hectic and disorganized when everyone comes to do their stuff at the last minute.

Ty'Mesha

it gets no better than Savannah State !

Reniesha

Savannah State University is a good university to attend, within my specific major I have come in contact with a lot of faculty that are willing to give me advice and help me with my journey. I do think Savannah State needs to improve on how they secure the campus and ensure students are safer. There could be an improvement with the housing, they could use some upgrades. The food is good on most days, we should have more options or longer hours for the places on campus. Overall I will be going back to Savannah State in the Fall of 2019 after my first year, my university is not perfect but I still enjoy it!

Malikah

Savannah State University was not my first choice when I decided to apply for schools because like many high school graduates, I wanted to attend a out of state university. Attending a HBCU has allowed me to form new relationships and opportunities in the community. Savannah State sets a high standard for not only the students but the staff as well. Savannah State has become a great part of my life.

Gabrielle

I love my S-S-U!! I am very blessed to be able to attend my HBCU! Everyone is like a family and I love almost everything about being here. The only thing that can improve is getting better food choices, improving housing, and getting better professors. The class size is really good and the actual work isn't too bad as long as you put in the work to get it complete.

Taliah

I think Savannah State is an overall family orientated college. They try hard to make sure that students participate in organizations and events. The major problem is dealing with money. A lot of times money disappears. They give back refunds but most students never actually receive them, meaning if you don't speak up and say something no actions will take place. One minute you have no dues and then next thing you know you owe thousands of dollars. The administration are never all on one accord. If they tell you that you owe money... do the research first because sometimes they just want to take your money. They are very last minute with registration so if you can, get everything completed early. Keep all documentation because you might have to argue about made payments. But overall the environment isn't that bad and most teachers will work with you if you need the help. For me, I say the only major issue would be dealing with Financial Aid and the Cashiers Office. I attend the school and will continue to attend it because I love it, fighting with financial aid isn't worth leaving if you ask me due to the fact that they make me feel at home and very comfortable.

Ashe

It is not the most college friendly place for a student achieving an education.

Mikaylah

The illustrious Savannah State University. This had to be one of the best decisions i made in my life. It is very easy to adapt to the campus and student life. The student body is so involved in making the overall school its best. We always speak up for what we want. The staff is pretty understanding and the teachers are amazing.

Allura

Savannah State University has its down falls including quality of campus food but you can always find something better to eat on a different part on campus or better off. The main you are there is your education. Teachers are very helpful as well as your peers and you should not fail a class.

hannah

Savannah state has so much potential but we refuse to take matters into our own hands and do something that's going on. This university has a huge student population but we have some many people that don,t want to see people do great. One thing that i can say about this university is that everybody is treated equally by all of our peers.

Tica

It is a nice environment if you enjoy one on one classes. The people are friendly and there is usually always something to do on campus, whether is it attending a football game or painting in the art studio. Because of the location, it is not very easy to get to many stores, but free public transportation is provide, so that is a plus.

Shanesha

Honestly savannah state is a historical HBCU like other schools it has a few problem areas (financial aid) , but the pride that you see daily from the teachers to the students uplifts you. I believe the teachers take time when teaching a lesson unlike other schools. I transferred to another school where I felt unwanted and unwelcome. I went to savannah state an felt at home.

Tiara

I enjoy Savannah State, like the alumni say "Once a Tiger, Forever a Tiger". Savannah State has a familiar feel to it, a family atmosphere where your bound to see the same face every time you walk around campus.

Timothy

At first I didn't want to attend college and now that I'm here I must admit i'm really enjoying it. I'm happy that I chose to attend SSU over the others that I was approved for. I'm sure once I get all my finances approved everything else will get better

Azana

When I first got here at Savannah State Univeristy I was ready to learn about my major. There are a lot of people here from all over. I am a freshman at Savannah state university and its alright. They have a lot of events going on so you will never be bored. The campus is big and beautiful but its a lot of walking. But other than that I look forward to bettering my SSU experience

Da'Ondalyn

The students and faculty are what make the campus so warm and inviting. Since orientation I have been way more comfortable with being away from home. The upper class men try their best to make sure that you are prepared for classes, and pass down their wisdom so we don't make the same mistakes as them. The faculty and staff also want all the students to be successful so they always make sure that we know we can talk to them, and come to them for help.