Schenectady, NY
Schenectady County Community College

1 Rating

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Schenectady County Community College

Shannon

I enjoyed being a student at SCCC, but I certainly wouldn't want to complete my degree there. I feel that it was perfect for getting some classes done that I needed to transfer to my dream school. There are a lot of younger students who don't really seem focused on their studies, which as hard to deal with as a returning adult student.

Chantel

I think this school is great for where it is; the kids in this area need easily accessible education and safe socialization. There definitely needs to be a larger library with a LOT more computers (there's an additional computer lab in another building, but there aren't nearly enough computers) and MUCH less restrictive printing guidelines and rules. There are only about 35 computers between the library and the computer lab COMBINED at this college, it's extremely inconvenient. There aren't many vegan options available for lunches or breakfast, but there is a really wonderful coffee shop called the Canal Cafe that I frequent; the woman at the counter is a delight. My chemistry teacher, Dr Tammy Gummersheimer, has really been the highlight of my time spent at SCCC thus far and I absolutely adore her. If anything, I'm glad I attended this campus so she was able to enter my life.

I don't care what the stereotype is anywhere, no stereotypes are ever accurate nor should they ever be taken into consideration. Each person should be given the chance to show who he or she is without any preconceived notions so I am uncomfortable answering this question otherwise.

I may be biased because I'm vice president, but SCCC's Science club is extremely active and has gained popularity over the last few semesters. SGA needs more involvement and help, though. ALANA is popular, and I think Rhythms is, too. Our Pride group is one of the largest.

Most of the students have a "whatever, this is just Schenectady," attitude, but you will find a couple who take their studies seriously. Most are considerate unless you count being loud and obnoxious everywhere on campus as inconsiderate. There's almost no completely quiet area on campus to study or read, even in the library. There isn't a lot of student involvement in activities, but I think that's because the activities are during college hour and so many classes are held during college hour it's almost unreasonable.

There are a lot of degree program options and each course obviously has its own syllabus and each teacher has his or her own expectations. Some of the courses seem incredibly easy, some are incredibly difficult. It's all about what you put into it and what you want to get out of it. There are small classes so the teachers are typically easily accessible and are very willing to work with you and there's usually a good means of communication. That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to this, however.

Erica

Culinary Arts Program - Its one of the only ones in the area and its at community college, so students are able to save a lot of money.

It's a great community college. It has a thorough curriculum for each major and the faculty is comprised of dedicated individuals who are invested in your success. For a college? It feels more like a small neighborhood of people who lend a hand to each other. Definitely has a no friend left behind feel to it.

Your biggest obstacle is yourself. You can accomplish anything if you want it. No one has the ability to stop you, except for you. Don?t be afraid to voice your interests and embrace the passion to follow your dreams, even if its not the popular idea. Some friends will fade away from you, but new ones will appear as well. Just understand that this is all apart of life?s wonder and use it to your advantage. Use everyday as a reason to share love and spread awareness, and wear confidence like a pair of designer jeans. Make opportunities for yourself because the worse that can happen is that you try again tomorrow. Most importantly? Never lose your gift of compassion. Strive for the best in your education, but also volunteer for those who are less fortunate. Remember, you are worthy of the best.

Joel

Younger and more challenged than I was with obtaining employment after Graduation. They will need to be more innovative and flexible in achieving their goals.

I f I had the oppurtunity to go back, I would adjust my family dynamic and seperate my emotions from my education. I would also distanced my self from the college choice I had originally made and being near a Metropolis. The exploration side of life was to easy to take. My family's well being and my travels put me in a awkward state were some thing had to be sacrificed. It was my education. It took a few years for me to overcome adversity to realize I can balance more education in my life. I feel with the growth that i have achieved, success can still come in me obtaining my educational growth.

How the challenge of balancing ones Family and career life vs Academics is tough. But even though it is, it still can be manageable if the supports that are in place are used.

Schenectady County Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.