School of the Art Institute of Chicago Top Questions

The worst thing about my school is definitely the cost and the inefficiency that it spends money. It costs more than Ivy League schools. I don't know how many people have the ability to pay for everything out of pocket, but I certainly don't.

Manna

The worst thing about school would basically be all the work I have to do in little amounts of time. I have about 6 classes in which the work is put on heavily and it's hard trying to get all my work done, which i manage to do.

Not enough clubs/organizations.

Willow

The worst thing about the school is how cold and unsupportive it can be sometimes. Though when you find those people and teachers who care it is amazing. There are some that will support you every step of your education here and will do anything to help you. You just have to find these people.

Tewosret

As most schools have their pros and cons, I would have to say that the School of the Art Institute unfortunately lacks a physical sense of community. I speculate that it is because all the buildings (as efficient and close to each other as they are) are separated by blocks and streets that accomodate a city. There isn't a "main" campus, just a general area where certain buildings are placed and sometimes the separate departments are so far apart that you'll go through your education without even visiting some.

Elyse

The worst thing about the school is that it is hard to find common ground with some students, most are antisocial smokers into drugs and alcohol. Though the few people who are "normal" are kind and friendly, they are few and far between.

Although this is one of the top art schools in the United States, it is extremely expensive. This school costs roughly $50,000 a year and scholarships from the school itself are hard to get your hands on because of the lack of advertising for them. Paying for this school is extremely tough of both the student and their family.

Ewelina

The one thing that bugs me about my school is that the tuition is so expensive, which does not include any materials that the artist need to use. The materials for our projects are not provided for us, so students have to buy art supplies on their own which are really expensive. I believe that the school should provide the students with some of the materials because of the really high tuition, or at least get really good discounts on art supplies.

mary

The worst thing about my school is the pretentious attitutes of both staff and students. Especially in the painting and drawing department. If students claim to be so open to any type of art form, they should except everything, because going to school is a learning process.

Bill

Too expensive.

The school of the art institute is a terrible beurocracy, with many offices giving you the ring around if you don't stay on top of bothering them.

jetaun

alot of koreans

While my school allows for vast academic freedom, I've noticed that a problem with my school is students getting lost along the way. Being able to float from department to department, sometimes they stretch themselves too thin between painting, sculpture, video, viscom, etc.

help finding jobs after school. they really don't do much to help you find one.

jennifer

The thought process and understanding concepts creates more work than someone would think for an artist.