Claremont, CA
Scripps College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Scripps College

Maria

Something that is very unique about Scripps College, is the beaty of the campus, because not every campas has the beautiful green grass, amazing architechture and amazing weather. Also, Scripps is an all women's college.

I am very grateful to be in college, because I have met amazing new people with similar interests of my own, and have gotten the opportunity to further my education in my area of interest. Although sometimes it is quite challenging, I know that in the end all my hard work will pay off.

The best thing about Scripps College, apart from the beauty of the campus, the nice people you meet everyday, and the great food, is the academics. Here at Scripps, you have the opportunity to get to know your professor, ask questions, and best of all, have a small learning environment.

Kelly

What's great about Scripps is that the campus can be as large or as small as you make it. Like people have said, it's part of the Claremont Consortium so you can take lots of classes and spend all your time on other campuses if you're looking for a big-school feel or you can take all your courses at Scripps for a very intimate experience. It's nice having the flexibility of both systems; you can really create a tailored experience based on your needs each semester.

Scripps students vary in their academic lives; some women are very serious and motivated about grades while others are much more relaxed. It's possible to get through your classes without a herculean effort, but if you are self-motivated you will get a lot more out your time here.

Scripps is a small school, and that's one of the best things about it. You can get the attention you deserve from your professors. You will become a better student since it's impossible to face into the background of a 300+ lecture class, as can happen at other larger schools. At Scripps you can learn and have a lot of fun; Scripps students are masters at balancing work and play. The office faculty are also some of the nicest people I have ever come across, and are far better than the office faculty at my high school.

The stereo type are NOT accurate. Scripps women are intelligent and kind people. No matter who they love, they came to Scripps to learn and better themselves.

I feel that many people think Scripps women are all lesbians, completely boy crazy, or just plain mean.

Shane

Scripps creates an atmosphere of intellect, curiosity and knowledge prosperity. Its small community feel is nicely complimented by the other surrounding 4cs in the 5c consortium.

Scripps, by engaging its students, teaches them the ingenius of women and equipps them with the tools necessary to walk through life with a clear understanding of what it means to be a strong, capable woman who trusts in her abilities.

Classes are tough. The rigor is demanding, but do-able. Professors are easily accesible and love it when you invite them to lunch to discuss class or other appropriate topics. Everyone, including faculty and staff is readily available and portrays themself as an accessible member of the Scripps family.

There is always something to do. I have yet to experience a lull in my social life or activities here at Scripps. Whether you party, study, eat or otherwise, there are many ways to get involved. There is no pressure to get involved in things that do not compliment you as a person, only the desire to enjoy yourself as you like.

No student should feel out of place at Scripps. Whether it is a group on campus or across the 5cs, there is a place for you. If there is not, you are encouraged to create one. Because of this, students enjoy clubs and organizations including everything from Nerd Club to midnight acapella groups to improv theater.

There is an unoriginal, expected stereotype that Scripps College breeds gender-elitist women.

Jessie

This school is the perfect size for anyone who wants the personalized education of a small school but the social life of a large one. Since Scripps is located ina 5 College consortium, you can easily make new friends outside of Scripps. Most of the people from the east coast have never heard of Scripps College but almost everyone from the west coast does, so when I tell them I am a student here they are very proud of me.

Even though students come from different environments, everyone has a place here at Scripps and lots of love and support waiting for you.

Not at all! Most of us are pretty relaxed when it comes to feminist issues, and although we are all intelligent we dont spend our entire day studying.

The academic environment at Scripps is the main reason why I chose to attend this college. The classes are interesting to say the least! My favorite class would have to be a tie between "Writing 50: Writing for Social Change" and "Intro to American Politics." These classes challenge me in ways that I have never thought possible. The Writing 50 class is actually a requirement for all first-years and suprisingly it is the most enjoyable class I have ever had. I actually enjoy going into class and hearing someone with opposing views from mine. The professors are easily accesible and encourage you to visit you to go over paper topics, drafts, or just to have coffee. I think that education at Scripps is a self-motivated endeveour. You challenge youreslef instead of competing with your peers. Personally, I study extremely hard during the week days and relax during the weekends and have fun. Most students care alot about their grades therefore, people do tend to spend time studying.

I definitely leave my door open, and it is actually how I have met many of my friends. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am either hanging out with my friends attempting to study, watching tv shows online, or actually studying. We host alot of events here at Scripps the most recent one is that this Friday we are having John Legend hold a concert here, which is soo exciting!! Many students party on Friday and Saturday nights but there is a party held at any one of the 5 Colleges on Tuesdays through Saturdays so you have alot of variety.

Being a woman of color here on the Scripps campus has been challeging, mainly due to the fact that about 90 percent of the population is comprised of Caucasian individuals. The only issues I have in regards to race are that people are ignorant of hurtful things they say or may be oblivious to certain situations and you ahve to inform them of their mistakes. Fortunately, we have many organizations of support that cater to the issues in regards to all races, ethnicities, and lifestyle choices. It is very common for different types of students to interact here, there usually is not much division between Scripps girls.

That we are all feminists, or super nerdy.

Jesse

I really enjoy going to Scripps. I love the size of the classes (small), the great professors who really challenge me (Rita Roberts), and the campus and weather are gorgeous. The biggest qualm I have is that there is not much social community on campus. People don't leave their doors open in the dorms because they are usually studying if they are in there. The campus is very quiet too on the weekends because pretty much all the parties are off campus. This is great for those weekends before midterms, but it also means that if you do want to party, you have to seek it out elsewhere.

You really have to visit campus to fall in love with Scripps. The campus is beautiful and the women are ambitious and intelligent.

At a superficial level, yes, some of the stereotypes are true. There are some women from very wealthy families, and there are feminists. Hopefully all of us are feminists by the end of our four years or Scripps hasn't done a very good job. The stereotype that women's colleges are filled with lesbians is not as true of Scripps as it is perhaps at other women's colleges. There is definitely a gay community, but it is not as large as some would desire.

The classes are small at Scripps which I think is a great benefit. Professors definitely know your name, and they genuinely care about your education and well-being. Many of the classes are discussion based, and since the class size is usually 15-20, everyone gets a chance to talk. During the week, most students focus on studying because the workload can be demanding. Depending on your course of study, the workload varies. Science majors have lots of labs and a lot of homework outside of that. Psych majors generally don't have as much work. Psychology professors especially are more concerned with making class interesting and making sure students are learning than with stressing students out with copious amounts of work. The education at Scripps is geared towards learning for its own sake more than getting a job right out of college.

Students tend to be very involved in clubs. Sports are not a big deal at Scripps, unless you play for a team. Challah for Hunger, a group that bakes Challah for donation to Darfur, is a popular group. The Motley, our coffee shop, is a popular hang out/study spot. They bring musicians and play movies there pretty often. There is a party every night of the week except Sunday and Monday. The parties Tuesday and Wednesday are smaller dance parties. Thursday, there is Thursday Night Club at CMC. Friday and Saturday, Mudd and Pomona will have bigger parties. Pitzer usually has some live music party on one of the days Thursday-Sat. There is always something to do, and it doesn't always involve drinking, although drinking is very prevalent. Scripps residental staff holds non-drinking events for people who don't want to drink. I've lived off campus for 3 of my four years, and I still primarily party on campus. There are very few Scrippsies who live off campus. A lot of Pitzer and Pomona students do though, so there is a small network of potlucks and parties to attend. The biggest parties are definitely on campus and usually at Mudd.

Scripps is not terribly diverse. They definitely are trying to diversify racially, but since Scripps is so expensive, it is hard to diversify in terms of socio-economic status. They do offer really generous financial aid, at least to me, but in order to do that, they have to have a certain number of students who can pay full tuition. Students' attire tends to be more put together than the average college campus. Sundresses are very popular. Of course, around finals or whenever it rains, people break out the sweatpants, but in general people are fairly fashionable. I would say that the student body is socially liberal and probably financially more in the middle just because, again, many of the students are from upper middle class families.

Positive ones: Feminists, speaks her mind, successful, attractive Negative: rich princesses/Daddy's girls, easily offended

Alison

Scripps is a really great school, that's the big picture. It has its downsides, but the upsides are huge. The thing about it is that there are a million options at Scripps. I came thinking I wanted to do art, and instead I ended up doing my major at Pomona in Environmental Analysis. (Yes, you're allowed to fulfill your major off campus if Scripps doesn't have exactly what you're looking for. You can also design your own major.) There are also options of different clubs and groups to join, which is a great way to make friends with similar interests. I think if you pay attention to whats out there, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to find interests, activities, friends, and an education that you love at Scripps.

Like any school, Scripps has its good sides and bad sides. But after four fantastic years there, I can tell you that the good far outweighs the bad. Yes, sometimes you have to put in a bit of effort to get the classes, friends, extra-curriculars, relationships you're looking for. But if you try, you'll find them. And along the way you'll encounter some of the most fascinating material, the most strong, passionate, intelligent, and encouraging women, and unforgettable experiences.

All of them taken at once, yes. The problem is that people pick one and apply it to the whole Scripps population, and Scripps is small, but it's not that small. You can't fit us all into one category. Like any school, Scripps has its nerds and partiers. But the school also has so many different types of women in-between, even women that don't fit within that spectrum at all.

My answers may start to get redundant, but I think that at Scripps, your experience is what you make it. The professors definitely do make an effort. They're at their office hours and they really want you to come in. They're especially there to talk to you if you're looking for help or feedback. Students study a good amount, most professors expect you to have done the assigned reading...but from experience I would say that its also possible to get by in some classes without it. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class, and a few students are competitive, but most are just there to help each other get the most out of the class. Scripps education does prepare you for the real world, but it is mostly about learning for its own sake.

The main thing I want to tell you about the Scripps social life, is that when I applied, I didn't realize how big of a difference going to a women's college would make. When you move away from home and into this new dorm/college life, most people's instinct is to make friends fast. And most people don't look far, we make friends with those living around us, the ones that we get along with best and live closest to. This has upsides and downsides that generally get sorted out by sophomore year, but what never changes is that you are always living around women. Your closest group of friends is every likely to be primarily women. Its true, the other schools are full of men and you don't have to work hard to meet them. But keep in mind that they are doing the same thing; their main group of friends probably lives close by...at their school. Their group is likely co-ed, like their school, so they don't have to reach out to find girl friends. Sometimes creating real friendships with guys can take a little more time, coming from Scripps.

To be honest there are some pretty terrible stereotypes of Scripps students. To many, we're seen either as prim, proper, and nerdy, or as easy party girls. But there are also other stereotypes, like that we're strong, smart, and mostly feminist. We've also been known our passion and drive.

I would say that Scripps is not a very diverse place, racially or economically. At the same time, Scripps is constantly working toward ensuring that minorities have a voice, and they are very vocal. I think it would be hard to feel out of place...but I'm also white and upper class - I have the privilege of not knowing. We have a great race theory classes that tend to start by requiring the recognition of the racism in the world that creates privilege for some and discrimination for others. The LGBT community is also extremely vocal, with the beloved Motley Coffee House as the hotspot. All ranges of sexuality are accepted, there is even a new (tiny) fraternity of transgender guys. Most Scripps women (and transgender men) are very politically active and aware, especially within the Scripps community, if not nationally or worldly. We're predominantly pretty liberal, but there are definitely exceptions.

Jesse

Scripps is a small liberal arts women's college. Although the student body is under 1000, Scripps is an integrated part of the "5C" consortium of five undergraduate colleges, all located within walking distance of each other to form a larger campus with a total undergrad population of about 5000. One thing I enjoy most about Scripps is the tight-knit community. I know who almost everyone in my class is, and it is hard to walk across campus without seeing someone I know. Students come together several times a week for Wednesday afternoon tea, Tuesday snack, and Sunday snack. My favorite spot on campus is our environmentally conscious coffeehouse, The Motley. The Motley is a favorite hang out or study spot of many students, and there is live music every Thursday and Sunday nights. Scripps also has one of the most gorgeous campuses. It was recently ranked 4th most beautiful college campus in the world, and the picturesque mountains to the north, palm trees, orange trees, Mediterranean style architecture, fountains and many different types flowers all over campus certainly make it a beautiful place to live. One complaint about Scripps is that because it is a women's college, students often go to the other campuses to socialize, creating somewhat of a lack of community among Scripps students. While I have sometimes felt that this is the case, I have found that if you make an effort to attend campus and dorm activities, you can find a sense of community, and there is certainly a stronger sense of community here than at larger universities. It may just take more effort on the part of the student to venture outside her circle of friends to be a part of the larger community.

Almost all Scripps students are very studious and academically driven, but the other stereotypes generally are not true. We certainly allow and welcome men from the other campuses onto the Scripps campus, and many Scripps students have both male and female friends from the other four colleges in the consortium. Yes, we are given "rape whistles" during orientation, but I have never heard one being used!

Scripps is very strong academically. Classes are generally small - the largest I've been in is about 40 in my science classes - so most professors do know your name, especially if you make the effort to talk with them outside of class. It is also generally very easy to get into the classes you want. If a class is full when you register, I have found that if you talk to the professor right away and go to the first day of class, you can usually get into the class. It depends on the professor, but classes are generally pretty discussion based, with the exception of some science lecture classes. While some students are quieter than others, I have found that most students participate in class. Also, aside from required Scripps only courses, almost all classes have students from the other colleges. It is very easy to cross register for classes on other campuses, giving students more course options than at regular schools the same size as Scripps. Additionally, students can even have an off campus major if the major is not offered through Scripps. On weeknights and weekends, students do spend a lot of time studying, but they are also involved in many other activities, so studying is not all students do. Students are generally not very competitive with each other, although they are driven to do well. Students usually know at least some of the people in their classes and often form study groups to study for exams or go over material. Some Scripps students complain about the large number of general education requirements. Because Scripps is a liberal arts school, there are more requirements than at a large university, such as the required race/ethnic studies and gender/women's studies courses. However, I am a science major and have not had any trouble completing my requirements, and is has caused me to take very interesting courses that I probably would not otherwise have taken, such as "The Ethics of the Beginning and End of Life" for my letters requirement. Another requirement is the Scripps Core Curriculum, which involves three semesters of courses in the interdisciplinary humanities. The quality of core classes usually depends a lot on the professor, but many students do not like this requirement. For me, while some of the material I learned was interesting and fun, such as in my "Pop Law and Psychology" Core III class, I would have preferred to be able to have more flexibility to choose my courses, rather than taking one of the required core courses. It certainly is a unique academic experience, though, and I did learn about subjects that I probably would not otherwise have learned about.

Because the Claremont Colleges are all residential colleges, most students live on campus so most events and activities happen on campus. If students do want to get off campus, they often go into the Claremont "Village" near campus, where there is a movie theater, shops, and many restaurants. Pasadena is only about 30 minutes away, and LA is around an hour away, so some students go into the city occasionally. There are many clubs and organizations on campus for students to get involved in. One popular club at Scripps is "Challah for Hunger," in which students bake loaves of challah to sell every Friday to help people in Darfur. Every fall there is a huge club fair where students can learn about all the different clubs and organizations on campus. In the dorms, residents often do not leave their doors open, and some students say they wish people would leave their doors open more in order to foster more dorm community. Each dorm has a hall council responsible for planning events for the dorm, such as study breaks, holiday parties, movie nights, spa nights, etc. For students who do like to party, there is usually at least one big party happening each Saturday at one of the five colleges. Alcohol is usually served at these parties, although some of the schools card students. Some of the biggest parties include "Smiley 80s," "Mudd Goes Madd," a suds party, and a few more formal parties. While many Scripps students go out to these parties, there are things to do for those who don't like to drink. The popular 5C ballroom dance team hosts a salsa night many Fridays, and there is blues dancing every Saturday. There is a popular improv team on campus that puts on shows several times per semester. Student organizations also plan events, such as the end-of-the-year Scripps Carnival or pool parties at the Field House (gym). There are athletic events that happen on the 5C campuses, although these are not generally super popular with Scripps students. Sports are not as popular as they would be at a big football university, though there are occasional rivalry games between the Claremont, Mudd, Scripps sports teams and the Pomona-Pitzer teams.

While Scripps does have racial and ethnic diversity, it is not as diverse as some schools in California, especially larger universities. Some students feel Scripps is not diverse enough in this regard, while others are not bothered by it. There are several religious groups on campus, plus LGBT support groups and racial/ethnic groups. While some students tend to interact mostly within their group of friends, there is definitely interaction among different types of students. Wednesday tea and snack nights are good opportunities for different members of the Scripps community to mingle and interact with each other. Scripps students come from all over the country and world, although there are more students from California, Oregon and Washington than any other one place. There are a wide variety of financial backgrounds - some students come from more wealthy families and can afford a Scripps education on their own, while many students are on some form of financial aid. Even the students that are more wealthy rarely flaunt it, and students with different financial backgrounds often interact with each other. Many students are politically aware and are active when it comes to issues they care about, whether it be social justice, women's rights, environmental sustainability, or helping the poor. Generally, students tend to be more liberal.

One guy from another campus said the stereotype for Scripps students was "either very studious or 'loose.'" Some also think that because we're a women's college, we don't allow guys on our campus and will blow our "rape whistles" if we see a guy on campus.

Nico

Scripps is a small liberal arts college with an emphasis in the Humanities. However, because of its involvement in the Claremont Consortium, Scripps also has very good courses across the board since it can share resources with the other colleges. Scripps has pretty wonderful dorm rooms, the singles are particularly large, and most people live on campus the entire time they are at Scripps (one actually has to petition to live off campus, which makes it an annoying process). Scripps is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL campus about 45 min from downtown LA (by train or car) and a 15 min walk from the Claremont Village (it has a movie theater, various good restaurants, Jamba Juice, Starbucks, frozen yogurt, cafes...). Scripps has a new gym (the Tiernan Field House) that is fantastic! It has various cardio machines (elliptical, bike, treadmill...), a full weight room, multiple classrooms where students can take free classes (pilates, kickboxing, zumba...), a pool with plenty of lounge chairs for sun bathing, and a stretching balcony. The Motley is the Scripps coffee house and the usual hang out spot. Walking into the Motley usually leads to running into no less than two people you know, and sitting down at one of the many tables to do some work while you caffeinate yourself. The Motley also has live music every week for free! If coffee isn't your thing, then you can always pop over to Seal Court for Scripps Tea every week, where Scripps will whip up a tasty snack for you! Tea is the perfect place for the Scripps community to congregate and nibble on some veggies or scones while sipping on tea. Professors and students alike turn out for this weekly event.

If you choose to attend Scripps College, I would HIGHLY recommend going on Outdoor Orientation! It allows you to meet fellow Scripps students before the usual Orientation begins, and most students meet their best friends on this trip! Another perk, is that it allows you to get to know some of the upper-class students at Scripps (who lead the trip), and they can provide a wealth of knowledge about anything from dorms, professors, clubs, the best dinning halls, and even how to get into the Browning tower!

Like most stereotypes, one could probably find at least one Scripps student who fits each of these descriptions, but they represent exaggerations of the majority of students. Most students embody a mild version of each of these attributes, and on the whole are EXTREMELY nice and welcoming.

Scripps provides a stimulating education that will challenge students. At the same time, the small classroom sizes allows students to receive plenty of help from professors (who in general love to help students and make time out of class to meet with students). Most students study in one of the libraries (Denison or Honald/Mudd) or in the Motley. In Honald/Mudd and the Motley, students can drink coffee and eat snacks, since Honald/Mudd has its own cafe, so they are the general favorites, but Denison has a more subdued atmosphere perfect for those who like a quite environment. Scripps students are dedicated to their studies, but do not spend all of their time studying. Scripps encourages interdisciplinary study among its students, and it is not uncommon to hear that a Scripps student is dual or double majoring in two seemingly unrelated subjects. Most advisors are extremely helpful and accommodating so that their students can fulfill the requirements for both majors.

Scripps is a fairly quiet campus, and usually students go off campus to find a party. This may seem like a downside to Scripps, but actually I have found it to be a perk! Because the other four colleges have parties every weekend it is EXTREMELY easy to find a party Thursday-Saturday night (and even on Tuesday and Wednesday if one felt so inclined), and when you are done partying at another college (or somewhere off of all the campuses) you can come back to your nice, clean, and quiet dorm and sleep off all the fun you just had. Most people drink/party Thursday-Saturday night (although some people don't drink at all and instead go to movies, concerts, or even parties so they can dance). There are not sororities at Scripps (granted Scripps might just be one huge sorority?). The majority of the student body chooses to drink when/before they go out, a number chose to smoke weed, and a few enjoy doing both! However, there is not pressure to drink or smoke before going out in general (but if your best friend likes to pre-game everything you might feel some pressure to drink). Scripps does hosts a couple of parties every year, and usually goes all out on them!

The student body is not very diverse, and most students are upper-middle class, Caucasian, and heterosexual. Which is not to say that EVERYONE is, and Scripps does make an effort to admit diverse students. The SCORE office is home to racial, religious, and LGBT support clubs at Scripps. Scripps makes an effort to be welcoming to all students, and within the student body people are generally accepting. The student body is fairly relaxed, and their is not much grade competition. Students do not brag about their grades or about how well they are going to do after college. Students usually go to class in t-shirts and jeans (or some equivalent depending on the weather) and have good relations with their professors. Most students have a close group of friends, but I would not describe them as 'cliquey'. Most students are politically aware but do not shove it in each others faces, and in general Scripps students have liberal leanings.

On the prowl for men at the other colleges. Queer. Proper 'ladies'. Crazy feminists who want complete independence from men. Very concerned about appearances.

Andy

Personally, the small intimate size of Scripps was one of its biggest appeals to me. Coming from a large public Southern CA high school meant Scripps was a treat. I transitioned from a school that was packing kids into classrooms like sardines in order to try to save a buck, to an open environment of small class sizes that was more than dedicated to giving each of us the education we deserve and crave. A "big picture" thing about Scripps has to be the Consortium. It's hard to define one Claremont College without mentioning them being nestled together. It's fantastic that we have our itty bitty own schools that have their own resources but share everything with everyone else. It creates this environment of small schools become medium school, without losing any of the amazing prof to student ratios. We share dining halls, gyms, pools, clubs, classes and even housing sometimes. Each school has its own abundant resources that it shares with the others, so no matter what you need, you'll find it! The Scripps Community is one that cares about each of its students. If there is any upset on campus or feelings of alienation, we can come together to discuss and work through everything. Sometimes it's like one big summer camp. Everyone talks, everyone cares. Admin also cares, a lot. We have office hours with our president and deans, we have tea with our professors and The Motley Coffeehouse as our local gathering place. Everyone that works at Scripps, works there for a reason. They are all passionate and caring and out to make college one of our best experiences. My only drawback is that sometimes I do wish Scripps was louder. We have a beautiful campus that is so quiet and nurturing, but I would love it a little bit more if more girls opened their doors, blasted music, chatted in the halls and generally ran around. We're so civilized! Let's get crazier! Scripps is academically challenging and we all love our quiet study time, but I always loved the way my hall had open doors and frequent comings and goings. I just want to say "Open up ladies! Let's have a block party!"

We're located in LA and the school provides opportunities for students to buy inexpensive tickets and transportation to fun events in LA like concerts, plays and beach trips. We <3 LA and if you've never been to SoCal, it's a great way to experience it. In-n-Out is a local burger chain that is beloved by all us SoCalians, and one of the coolest things is that during freshmen orientation, Scripps gets an In-n-Out truck to cater lunch! Scripps is really detail-oriented in that sense, they want us to love our time here and make sure to provide us with every opportunity to fall in love. If Scripps were a person courting it's students, it would definitely win our hand in marriage every time.

1. I would honestly say that "Scrippsie" is pretty accurate. Every girl I've met at Scripps is engaging and intelligent; fun and lovely. Each of them does or doesn't enjoy going out to a greater or lesser extent. It's up to each Scrippsie to decide her pace, and on the whole, we're all pretty much down to have a good time and we choose how that happens. 2. I have never met one of these women. I don't even think they exist. Do they? "She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold" if we're going with Elizabeth Bennett on this one. The only time I've had someone insist that we don't need to conform to male pronouns and words like "mankind" was a male professor trying to be sensitive or something...and we all felt a little confused. Sure there are lesbians but people are people, love who you love, and rock on about it; being at Scripps doesn't effect that. To be fair, yes we are all women, and yes we are all PROUD to be women. We love and support each other and recognize the struggles we have been through. That doesn't make us any sort of feminazi. 3. Once again, this is an extreme stereotype, and I don't know if I've ever met one. You'll find girls and boys at any school who are more eager than everyone else to get a little party crazy. It's not a Scripps only thing.

Scripps academic life is everything I ever wanted. Classes are small and shared between colleges [unless they are intro-y Scripps only freshmen-y things]. The professors know my name, know my writing, and care about me. They care if you come to class, if you participate and if you're generally ok. Many of us see professors around the campuses, in the dining halls and sometimes the gym [hahaha] and it's so nice to know that they want to say hi and they want to know how you are. They know you and care where you're going in life. Like most schools, we have general requirements. But a lot of our classes apply to those requirements and can double count to eliminate them. It's not like a school whose requirement are "you MUST take this specific history/math/science class that you WILL hate." Instead, we have general subject areas like social science, letters, foreign language, etc from which you can choose from a number of interesting individual classes. We do have CORE which is a class for three semesters that gets more and more specific. This, besides Writing 50 is the only class that will always be all girls. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Core. I was geared up for it, because a lot of the specific sections of Core sound super interesting, but I felt a little let down. It wasn't challenging or interesting to me, but I know people who disagree. My main problem with Core is that it is assumed to be this magical make-you-think-crazy-differently class, but I haven't experienced inspiration or interest. However, it is awesome for giving all of us the same base and jumping off point in many historically important thinkers.

Challah for Hunger is one of our most popular clubs. We get together and make and sell yummy flavors of challah [like chocolate or cinamon raison!] to raise money for local and global organizations to fight hunger. But besides that, there are TONS of clubs for almost anything, if not at Scripps, then as a 5C club that anyone may join. We just had our first Relay for Life hosted by Colleges Against Cancer! The idea that Scripps is this isolated women's school where we never see men and if we see the light of male, we scream and explode into flames is such a myth. Because of the consortium there are men everywhere, so Scripps becomes much more of an all girls' dorm. Every school hosts 5C parties throughout the year and there are 5C activities/school hosted events 6 days a week, and usually there are 4 things to choose from every night of the weekend. Many of the relationships at Scripps are college relationships: hook ups and short relationships. There definitely are very serious relationships that last a long time [I've been in one since November, after my own personal stint of meeting guys at parties, and the same is for a few friends of mine]. I had guy friends from myself as well as his friends, and many of my friends also had inter-campus relationships. You can't avoid exes like you can at giant universities, we don't have that many places to hide, unfortunately. But on the whole, because everyone is friends, we're all pretty amicable. Relationships depend on the people entering them and their expectations. I didn't even want a relationship, but he won me over eventually. Meeting guys is not impossible and it's always fun to run around enjoying yourself for a while. Many of my closest friends are my hallmates from freshmen year. We lived together, cried together, loved together and grew together. I also have so many friends from orientation and classes, and we are all so close. There’s no stopping those friendships, and every girl I know from Scripps is the best and there for me no matter what. The 5Cs don't really have Greek life. I think we have a very small number of 5C frarorities [frat-sororities] but they aren't really big time, they don't have houses and I don't really know if they have the type of alum participation/sponsorship/connections as a large university.

I've met just about every type of person at Scripps, and because we are so small and intimate, we all interact and are all friends. I would say that we are very accepting of everyone, I've never felt awkward or out of place for any reason. I think Scripps is similar to many institutions of higher learning populated by younger people, in that many students politically lean more to the left. But that's not to say that those of us who don't feel out of place. I feel as though many Scrippsies are always cute. They care about how they look and they look adorable! Sure, some people wear sweats or pjs but you can get some great fashion ideas from a lot of them. Scrippsies interact with everyone and are a good mixture of everything, it's fun!

I like to think that Scripps women come in all shapes, sizes and flavors. There are those of us who enjoy partying every night and those who would rather stay in with a few friends and a movie. We are pretty much a spectrum. However, I was told by a student at a fellow 5C that there are three types of Scripps woman: 1. Scrippsie--your average Scripps girl: smart, fun, cute, enjoys friends/hanging out, but isn't a crazy party animal. 2. Scrippi-nazi--crazy ultra-feminists who get angry at the use of words like "mankind" and generally hate men or are hardcore man-hating lesbians. 3. Scripper--yeah, he went there. He said that Scrippers [yes, like 'stripper'] were crazy party animals who generally had too much of men and alcohol.

Scripps College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.