Seattle Pacific University Top Questions

Kharis

The academics are vigorous and stimulating. As a liberal arts school, it has a core curriculum with requirements in Math, Arts and Humanities, Sciences, Theology, and General Studies which all serve to provide a well-rounded education for its students. Its nursing program, business program, and global development program are all nationally ranked. There are also a number of extremely notable professors, including but not limited to Les and Leslie Parrott, of eHarmony fame.

Jaylyn

Fairly good, you only get the best if you have the drive to go to professor's office hours and get to know them.

Taylor

One of the things that I love about Seattle Pacific is that my professors do in fact know my name. When I was applying for a study abroad program last year, I had to have at least two professor references. Both of my professors who I asked were more than willing to do it because of the fact that we are able to create interpersonal relationships with our professors . They remembered my work ethic, and most of al my attendance. Even after not having one of the professors I asked for over a year, she was still more than wiling to write me a recommendation which essentially allowed me to get into the study abroad program. One of my favorite classes at SPU was my interpersonal communication class, with the professor that wrote me the great recommendation for my study abroad program. In this class, she was dramatic and outrageous to demonstrate certain aspects of basic human communication. She was always animated, and very entertaining. Sometimes I felt like I wasn't even in class. Students are constantly meeting for study groups, depending on the class often as a couple times a week. During finals week, often classrooms are reserved and dedicated for students to hold their own class in order to prepare for finals. Many students are apart of the honors program at SPU UScholars, and hold intellectual conversations in coffee shops on campus, as well as in Gwinn Commons, the campus cafeteria. From the communication major, I have discovered that discussion is the greatest learning tool. We discuss modes of communication that are evolving in the world, and for classes such as conflict management, we practice simulations in class in order to practice techniques we learn. The academic requirements are there to ensure that students are doing their absolute best. We have a mentorship program on campus that helps students outreach to companies that they aspire to learn more about, and possibly intern with. There is also a class that is geared towards helping students learn how to apply and find jobs after graduation.