Seattle, WA
Seattle University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Seattle University

Aubriana

I believe cultural diversity and opportunity for the future are what my school is best known for. My school has such a variety of students that are open to their diverse gender and sexual identity, race and ethnic backgrounds, and lifestyle choices. The great thing about Seattle Univeristy is that every student is so open to each other's background, where discrimination and bullying rarely exists. Also, with our successful and challenging course curriculum, I feel very fortunate to be presented with multiple opportunities with finding a future occupation, along with internships, connections, and opportunities in years to come.

College is hard. I came to this school for the wrong reason and if there were any advice I could give myself as a high school senior, it would be to go to college with the goal of getting an education. My original goal when coming to this school was to find myself as an independent person as well as try new things without my parents on my back. I didn't realize until this school was almost taken away from me what my real purpose here is. Yes, this school is expensive, which means you just have to try harder to stay here. This school offers so much towards your education and every faculty member is so willing to help you with whatever you need. Take advantage of every resource this school offers. You are capable of achieving so much, don't throw it all away for the sake of partying. Freshman year is exciting, but focus on your studies and do your best. Don't be nervous, you're going to be great.

I never could imagine a student that shouldn't attend Seattle University, simply because of our openness to each and every student. But, if there wasn't a student to attend here, I would think a student that came to this Univeristy for the sake of partying and escaping responsibilities. In reality, this school costs money and takes a lot of hard work to get admitted into here. If a student has such values as not working hard, little motivation, and living for the weekend, then they really don't deserve to waste a spot amongst such elite students.

Change your mind, and change it often. College is the time to truly explore what deeply moves you. The choices you make will feel as if they are the biggest challenges you will ever face, but trust me, they get harder! In every decision you make, whether it be your friends, your classes, and all the little things, choose with your heart. It is okay to change your mind, as long as you follow your heart. If you make a choice and it was wrong, you can feel confident owning your mistakes because you knew at that moment, that decision was true to your heart. Do not settle for something that does not fill you, because there is room for mistakes! Do not look back and say “I should have”, look back and say “I did”.

Seattle University is a thriving community of passionate students, faculty, staff and alumni. Students at SU share passions and it is easy to meet like-minded individuals. The campus is in the middle of the city, but has lots of trees and gardens. The people at SU truly care about the environment and each other.

Our class sizes are small, usually under 30 students. This allows students to build genuine relationships with professors and other students. This creates opportunities to form strong ties with classmates who are in the same career field and gives you the chance to ask for personal letters of recommendation for professors.

Queenelle

Being located in the the metropolitan Pacific Northwest means every student in this school is within walking distance to great eateries, great shops, and great local organizations. As a school that really stresses social justice, the community at this school finds ways to make sure that students are aware of what's going on in the world and presents many opportunities for students to be involved.

Kasey

I would give myself the advice to breath, deep breaths, in and out, and remember that change is good, even when it hurts. I would remind myself that people really aren't as scary as they seem, that no one can tell that your right side is paralyzed or that you even have a disability at all, and even if they can tell that your fingers are abnormally stiff, they will not judge you for it. I would remind myself to be kind to everyone, even the people who get under your skin, because they might be the person you need help from later on. I would remind myself to smile. I would tell myself that if you just trust in yourself and ignore those thoughts about how your answer in class isn't good enough, you'll be one of the best students and your professors will tell you so. And finally, I would tell myself to not be afraid, to not hide in my room, but to go out and explore, join clubs, ask that boy out, and dance, even though your right arm is stiff and you don't have control over it. Just dance.

Alicia

Seattle University's probably most well-known for its overall accepting community (prominently its activeness in LGBT awareness) and drive for becoming as economically friendly as possible. Being right at the center of Seattle, the college is known for being conviently placed at the heart of Seattlelite activity. Capitol Hill, where the college is technically located, is never absent of amusement and is a perfect area to bolster a student's social life.

During the last leg of high school, of college ambassador visits, frantic applications, and FAFSA deadlines, I've been bombarded by "practical" advice: "Don't forget about your GPA", "Even if you've been accepted by your college, you can still fail!", and other intimidating words of warning. With the surmounting pressure to succeed or to crash and burn, piece by piece, I've generally forgotten that I was my own person, that I was anything but a product of a system out of my control. But if there's one thing that college is filled to the brim with, it's freedom. High school conforms you, forces you to become someone you can no longer recognize because you're afraid of the grief, afraid of the pain that comes with being what makes you, You. Graciously, college says, "To hell with that! Your destiny is yours to decide and what you choose will be of your own free will." So enough of the "yes man" and become "my own man". Do what you want to do, eat what you want to eat--dance like nobody's watching!

I wish I knew the exact cost of attendance. While Seattle University is an absolutely wondeful campus, the tuition was a bit more than I was expecting (as it is a private college). The college does attempt to give out financial aid but it still seems a bit too much for me and my parents to handle.

Siri

What I made the mistake of in high school was concentrating too much about what other people thought about me. I attended Bellevue College for about 2 years before transferring to Seattle University, and going to college and stepping out of high school changed my perspective on this. I realized that the only person who can and should make me happy is myself. If I can't be happy with myself and the efforts I put forth in my life, it makes it much harder to succeed, socially, mentally, and physically. The other day, I was talking to my boyfriend, and I said, "I am not trying to lose weight to make you happy with who I am. I am trying to lose weight because it will make me happier with who I am." That is something that I never would have done or said at 17 years old. Worrying about what other people think about you only stresses you out and feeds into negative thoughts.

The kind of person who takes themselves, their schoolwork, and their world and culture seriously.

What I love most about Seattle University is not only is it environmentally conscious and politically sound, but it also has small class sizes. It allows students to interact closely with the teacher and other students, and succeed.

Joanna

Seattle University seems to be known for its diverse and accepting community. Seattly University is also known for its small class sizes and how much it focuses on each individual student to lead them to sucess.

Seattle University is unique in many diffrent ways. One thing I love is the fact that so many people care about your well being, professors are always there to help you and other administrators and staff are always willing to help. The student body is also great. The attmosphere of Seattle University is very accepting and diverse. This university is great place to center youself and find who you want to be with wonderful people at your side to help you.

Going into college I was not exited for any aspect of it, I was scared that I was not smart enough for a private university and that I would never be able to make friends. I knew that my high school education was not good despite the fact that I was in AP classes and I had the mentality that the only reason I was accepted into Seattle University was because of my ethnic diversity. Now that I have completed my freshman year of college I can say I had a great experience and made some of my closest friends. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself it is ok to be scared but do not think you are not good enough for this opportunity. Seattle University chose me for a reason and now I see that it is a big opportunity that I very much appreciate and an experience that I have so far loved. Another advice I would give myself is to not be so shy. Coming form a small judgmental town I now appreciate living in a city like Seattle where everyone is open and accepting.

Kea

Having never been to the campus before starting the first day, I found that my school is extremely environmentally friendly. There are compost and recycling bins located all over campus and smaller versions within each dorm room. The cafeteria also provides vegetarian and vegan options everyday and all the food is made fresh as you order, for the most part.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would say "compare the costs and have a back up plan". Unfortunately, I did not really consider the financial constrains of attending the college, flying between my home and school during breaks, shipping necessary items, and not having a job lined up out here so that I could continue to work and make payments on my bill. I also was not prepared enough to have a fall back university incase I do have to transfer to a cheaper institution to continue my education. I would advise myself about these aspects if I ever had the chance, but what is done is done. I've learned and grown from my mistakes and that's all that matters.

I believe any student who loves having small classes that provide a community atmosphere. Also any environmentally friendly student and those who love giving back to the community.

Chelsea

"Don't be scared," I tell her sternly as I grab her shoulders. "No, you've never made a financial decision in your life and this talk of long-term budgeting is overwhelming. Yes, you have an autistic little brother you need to think of when you look over job prospects, which is terrifying in itself. I know what paralyzes you is not knowing what the future holds...and I can't say that we will ever be able to predict what's to come--which is a control factor that we have a hard time letting go." I pause for a bit, watching as the lines on her face twist into hopelessness. Then I smile. "But guess what? You'll make a plan for paying-off your student loans. You'll be introduced career options that you never imagined and they will help you do what you love while ensuring you'll take care of your family. Those moments of the unknown you absolutey hated? They will become your chances for discovery and exploration. " I can't help but laugh at her uncomprehending stare. "Don't be scared," I repeat, kinder this time. "Be scared while being brave."

Watch out for the requirements of the degree you want! For example, you have no gaurantee for getting into the Nursing department unless you sign-up in the Fall quarter of your Freshmen year--but only if they accept your application at the time you apply for the university itself. You can, of course, take the prerequisites, but if your entry is rejected, very little of your credits will transfer into another degree. The key is to BE aware and STAY aware.

In one word: Adaptable. SU is great with allowing students to wander around for a bit to find what they want and to figure out what they do not want. They also encourage students to dabble in every area of knowledge; art students are expected to also experiment with science classes and vice versa through the CORE classes. The great thing is that they don't expect for you to know what you want and who you are right away--they expect for you to truly find that out after getting the college experience.

Singleton

My advice would be to find my passion and attend college directly out of high school. I did the opposite. I went directly from high school into the work force. I first worked in a restaurant. I then married and shortly after I was a father. The restaurant industry did not have the pay or benefits needed for my small family, so, I made a career change into the housing/manufacturing industry. I worked a manual labor position for a tub manufacturer for nearly 19 years when they closed their doors. I found myself without a job and over 40. I had a family to support and no education. To make matters worse, my wife had suffered from a back injury and she was also unable to work. Our saving grace was an opportunity for me to return to school and train for another field. We still struggle with finances but at least we have a plan and hope at the journey's end. I have found it is so much more difficult to be an adult learner verses when I was in high school. My advice would be to obtain my education first because that lasts for a lifetime.

Seattle University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.