Seattle University

« See more reviews of Seattle University

Seattle University is a Jesuit university but is not your typical catholic institution. I had came into Seattle University having no idea what a Jesuit education was, but some people have ideas on how the catholic tradition would affect the campus policies. We are just like any university, but out of the jesuit institution we are probably more open and diverse because of our location and the community that surrounds us. I do not think Seattle University is as conservative as many think and most students I know do not go to church or have a declared religious affiliation.

My experience so far is that there is a range of students, some who are passionate about their classes or dedicated to doing well, and others who do only the minimum. Essentially, your going to get as much out of your education as you put in. The nice thing about SU is that the classes are very small so there exists the opportunity to learn and SU has some brilliant, amazing professors. As far as the disparity between straight boys to girls (I believe around a one to three ratio), its not really an issue.

Compared ot the rural area that I'm from, it is indeed a very liberal area as well. There are lots of protests, rallies, and marches constantly going on. It is very multicultural, which makes for a very interesting atmosphere. There are a lot of different kinds of people to meet, and lots of places to go that are very different, most especially the international district. And yes, there are some people that you see that could be considered "hippies." But grunge doesn't define Seattle.

Probably 70% of all people here play into at least one of the aforementioned stereotypes. While many are irreligious (and often unkind to those who are religious!), they are nonetheless generally nice people. For outsiders who don't fit into the stereotypes, if you find the other 30% of the people, you'll have a good time teasing the others about their well-intended but misguided lifestyles

SU students don't seem to drink as much as say, UW students, but that's not to say drinking is overly difficult, and the religiosity is not as strong as one might expect. Good fincial aid means that there is a wide variety of socio economic groups. Most accurate - various student causes are constantly being pushed by someone or another, from environmentalism to homosexual acceptance.

Some people fit the bill, but the majority of the people here are really down to earth and welcoming and you can always find someone that you get along with. Also there are definitly parties, they're not just waiting for you though like fraternities. Also only about 34% of the students here are Catholic and everyone is pretty liberal, especially being in Seattle.

It does rain a lot. But it rains more in Portland. Yes, people walk fast. Everyone is also trying to go somewhere. It's fast paced, but not like NYC. Not true. But there are a lot of coffee shops here. There's a Starbucks on every other block practically. The last statement is completely accurate in the downtown area though...

Heck yes. Everyone is willing to help if you just ask. And they all glare at you if you litter, or throw a recyclable in the trash. Also, people are competitive to the point that gets you motivated, but not to the point where it gets you down. Also, Vallue Village will become your best friend.

These two things are not necessarily bad but oftentimes the extremists are the loudest in the crowd. There are many liberal minds in Seattle and the Northwest in general is a very environmentally friendly place. But that does not mean that everyone here are hippies.

The first two, no. The second two, yes. Sure, there are a ton of liberal tree-huggers at Seattle U (there are a lot of liberal tree-huggers in Seattle in general), but not everyone is. Republicans and conservatives feel totally comfortable here.