Seattle University

« See more reviews of Seattle University

As a nursing major, I couldn't be at a better school. The program is very competitive and microbiology and anatomy/physiology tends to weed out a lot of nursing majors. If you make it however, I've heard you can pretty much work at any hospital you want. We also have a good law program. Your teachers will always know your name, which on one hand can be annoying because they demand participation most of the time, but it also motivates you to actually go to class because they will definitely notice if you don't. SU provides a liberal arts education, meaning you will probably end up taking some classes you do not have any interest in, but you will be learning for the sake of learning. I was surprised first quarter by how much my worldview changed.

professors know your name, and take a genuine interest in how well you are doing. Classes are indeed small, I had one with two students in it. This, in my opinion, is too much. I'd rather have larger classes than one where if two students miss the same day class is cancelled. Class participation is common. Classes can be rigorous, the Spanish department is weak. The chemistry department is overly meticulous. SU requires too much philosophy and theology core classes, its ridiculous. SU is all about developing "the whole person" which is good, but takes it too far with the religious classes. Students study, at least for engineering, 20 hours a week. Students are not competitive.

Hands down, Seattle University is the best school in the Pacific Northwest. Classes are small (this quarter I'm taking classes with 14, 18, and 12 student in each class). You rarely see classes with more than 25 students. Professors quickly learn your name, and you'll get to know the professors in your department quite well. Seattle U is a competitive school, where most students excel at their students. That means we study, a lot. We talk "smart talk" with each other. While you will hear about Friday night parties in casual conversations, you'll also hear about Descartes' Giant and Einstein's theory of relativity. We're smart, and we're proud of it.

All of my professors throughout my time at SU knew me by name, and for the most part, took out time for me both in office hours as well as in going over my work. My conversations with other students have been inspirational. For the most part, they have given me hope for the future. As much as my classes within my major (psychology) have been incredible, two of my core classes are standouts: Philosophy 210 with Sven Arvidson, and History 121 with Father Strickland. Both have made tremendous impact on my life that I am eternally grateful for. They are examples of the educating the whole person.

The academics at Seattle U are different than the typical because of its small size. All of my professors know my name and encourage students to come in during their office hours to discuss assignments or any issue you are having. Seattle University students have academic conversations outside of class but especially talk a lot about politics or social justice issues. The Alber's School of Business at Seattle University is well known and respected in the area. Part of the reason I chose this university is because of the academic integrity of the institution.

Academics are great. We have good programs, knowledgable professors who are also passionate. It is always good to be weary though, because i have almost not had a class where my prof is trying to convince me of their beliefs. It is easy to be in a situation where you feel alone in class, but you can always just tell your prof to be more unbiased, or try to stimulate thoughts from a different perspective.

Professors know your name. There are a lot of studious people at SU. There's a big focus on class participation. It is quite common to spend time with professors outside of class. I've gone out to lunch with two of mine. The academics help achieve whatever you want to achieve. They're really good at helping you find jobs too. It's a social justice oriented school. Just wanted to mention.

All my professors know me by name. My favorite class was US history last quarter, my professor was awesome!!! The class was interesting and discussion was thought provoking and challenging of assumptions I had of US history. Seattle students have intellectual discussions all the time, especially political ones, with the upcoming heated election.

Classes are very small, so discussion is really common. Much of that discussion spills over into everyday life, but not in an obnoxious way. The most frequent complaint is lack of variety in classes due to the size of the school, particularly languages.

Professors know my name, but I stand out like a sore thumb. Kids are really smart, good academics.