Seattle University

« See more reviews of Seattle University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Seattlites are known for their love of coffee. 'Yuppie' describes the nature attributed to them. Outsiders believe that Seattlites attend more yoga classes than religious services. Homosexuality is cool in Seattle, and so is feminism. Ironically, the flamboyance of the gay community and the ferocity of the feminists helps to make the more conservative type affraid of their ideas. While many people eat at vegitarian restaurants, they don't give so much as a glace to the homeless man outside the door.

People say it rains a ton. It really doesn't. There are dozens of other cities with more annual rainfall. It is overcast a bunch though. That being said, beautiful, sunny days in Seattle are money. Nobody enjoys the outdoors and good weather like a Seattleite. The city and campus really come alive. Girls shed their sweatpants and jeans at the first sign of sun. SU is the place to be on a sunny 60+ day.

The biggest stereotype is that Seattle is accepting of all types of people, and Seattle univeristy students are all rich. Seattle is outwardly excepting, but I also find it to be extremely prejudice, but in subtle ways. And it is true that there are lots of rich people that go here, that are also shallow, but then again i go here, and I am niether.

Seattle has a large gay population; my guess is to some it is really shocking at first, although for me its been irrelevant (the bay area, namely San Francisco, also has a large gay population). I read on ratemyschool.com before coming to SU that the school was full of lazy students who could care less about academics.

Seattle U is considered very liberal, as is most of the Pacific Northwest. It's also considered very multicultural, as Jesuit university devoted to such mantras. I think in some circles Seattle is also considered very granola (i.e. hippies), which at times goes hand in hand with people's vision of a liberal.

About Seattle: We're super green and supportive of local stuff, like music and farmers and businesses. About the students: Liberal and open-minded, willing to speak up and wanting to be heard. Competitive, but good at losing.

There is the stereotype that since Seattle University is a Jesuit or catholic institution everything is conservative or that most students go to church.

That we are not a party school. That we have a large gay population. That all the students are really rich since we can afford tuition.

That there are no parties. That everyone is liberal and really snobby about independent movies and music. That we're all Catholic.

Seattle U. students are supposed to be sober, religious, upper middle class kids overly concerned with social justice.