Seattle University Top Questions

Queenelle

Being located in the the metropolitan Pacific Northwest means every student in this school is within walking distance to great eateries, great shops, and great local organizations. As a school that really stresses social justice, the community at this school finds ways to make sure that students are aware of what's going on in the world and presents many opportunities for students to be involved.

.

SU is a really good size. I will leave my dorm to go get food and I'll see people I know and people I don't. Its big enough that there are lot of majors and classes to choose from but small enough to receive individual attention from the faculty and staff. There is a lot of support for students. Each floor has two RAs and one LLC mentor. The dorms each have one Jesuit living there, one minister and one Resident director. There is always someone to lean on if there is an issue. On top of all that, there's a health center, a counseling center, and plenty of other places to get help if you need it. Some things I'd change: Library closes at 6 on fridays! And at 11 or 11:30 other days. There's a twenty four hour computer lab and ready/studying space though. Also the main cafeteria closes at 7:30 on Weeknights and 7 on weekdays. Theres a cafe to get food after that but the menu is limited. Sometimes the wifi isn't that great. A few wifi spots broke down the week before finals one time...not so great. Tuition is expensive because it is a private school. I've heard people say that they will have to leave soon because they are not able to afford it. Tuition is often raised too :( Some people say that have gotten good financial aid, some not. It depends on who you talk to. There are some issues with the school going to Division 1 athletics. A lot of students feel like the school should spend the money on financial aid or academics instead of sports, but again, it depends on who you talk to. Also, the night shuttle/safety service shuts off at midnight and it doesn't go very far of campus. Frustrating, because the surround neighborhoods can be a little sketchy at night. When the library is open, its great! It was just remodeled and it has lots of group and private study spaces. It has a lot of sustainable features too! The school is great with sustainability. New buildings are made with green techniques. The seafood in the cafeteria is mostly sustainable as well. There are recycling, trash, and compost services in every dorm and all around campus. SU is in a great neighborhood. The neighborhood can be kind of sketchy but if you walk around with a few friends it is fine. There are lots of awesome places open late in capitol hill (the neighborhood next to campus). From my dorm it is a ten minute or less walk to shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, parks, grocery stores, bus stops, and a bunch of awesome local businesses. Seattle is pretty good about that! My teachers have all been great, but I hear complaints as well. Overall, I enjoy it here. Seattle is great and the things I would change about the school aren't huge issues.

Dawson

SU from when I was a freshman and as a senior now, has changed. I remember coming to the small school for the communal aspect; that everyone knew each other... sort of like high school (both the good & bad). However, SU has been on a mission to expand the campus, meaning the freshman size has nearly doubled, dorms are being built on street corners, a BIG push on D1 sports is top-priority, and most notably, class sizes aren't as small as they once were. They're trying to compete with UW and larger schools - to make their name more known. I don't blame them, but I don't think they realize many people come to SU because it ISN'T a well known or populated campus. They need to accept this and learn that it isn't a bad thing. That said, SU's heart is still there and they mean well... the students aren't your typical UW frat boys or girls; everyone has something unique to offer and very welcoming. The teachers & staff (including the dorm's cleaning & lunch ladies) know you by first name. Religion or beliefs aren't pushed on you. There's a group for everyone - the nerds, the jocks, the hipsters, the gays, the partiers (which, btw, SU DOES have - for anyone questioning our party habits; they exist, believe me). So long as you don't come to SU expecting the cliche college experience of frats, auditorium classes, and football tailgates, then you'll fit in fine... it's an overall very laid back & honest campus.

Reese

I just started law school at SU. I fully recommend this college for its great resources and great staff who go over and beyond to make sure the students succeed in school and obtain great jobs once they graduate. My first summer I took criminal law with one of the best professors I have ever had, and received workshops on time management, case briefing, exam writing, legal writing, resume writing, interviewing, mentoring, and was invited to many social parties to meet alumni and attorneys in our area. The staff and students really are there for you if you feel you can't handle the pressures of law school and will give you encouragement the whole way. This is a good school! Difficult as it should be, but manageable.

Maggie

Seattle U is a great size especially given the location. People and places on campus will be familiar and if you need an escape the city provides endless opportunity. That being said students tend to spend lots of time on campus or in local coffee shops. Most recently the biggest controversy has been our move to D-1 athletics. Although this has been a point of contention for many students and faculty. The University has handled it fairly well though open forums and focus groups. Seattle University has a strong focus on social justice and in my experience actively works to achieve its missions of empowering leaders for a just and humane world.

Seattle U is a school that's so committed to their Jesuit mission while at the same time being really open to all religions. They're dedicated to the environment (check out the LEED-certified Student Center or the pesticide-free grounds), social justice and educating the "whole" person. Being near Broadway and downtown makes it conveniently close to city life, but the serenity of the campus is a great place to take classes. The biggest controversy lately on campus has been themed parties and the administration's involvement in off-campus student activities. If there's a criticism of the admin to be found, it's that--students should be able to have their private lives and SU needs to respect that.

The school is losing sight of the all around mission that is stated as the cornerstone of Seattle University. Teachers are not treated with the respect that they should be, specifically adjunct teachers, who are an integral part of the programs that are offered. In the effort of diversity, there are quite a few students accepted into Seattle University that are in way over their heads academically. That being said, many are given scholarships where they are not truly warranted, and others who would utilize and appreciate assistance are left to their own devices. One should not be embraced because of their race, creed, or religion any more than one should be rejected.

Mari

The best part of Seattle U is that it is right in the city so there is so much to do, but at the same time when you're on campus you feel like you're in a bubble away from the city. One thing I would change about Seattle U is the ratio of girls to guys. There is about 2 girls to every guy, which is good for the guys and sucks for the girls. If you're a guy, come to Seattle U, you will definitely find a girlfriend. If you're a girl, don't come to college expecting to find a boyfriend. I love that Seattle U is small, all my teachers know my name and encourage me to come speak with them if I'm having issues in their class. It sucks we don't have a football team, but if you want the aspects of a big school that Seattle U doesn't offer you can always just go do them at Udub while still attending Seattle U. When I tell people I go to Seattle they ask me if the rain bothers me, which it really doesn't. I didn't really think it rained all that much actually. Then they ask if I go to a private school, and assume I'm rich. On campus most of my time is spent in my dorm room doing homework or hanging with friends. There is definitely of school pride, but since we don't have a nationally ranked football or basketball team, there's not much to brag about.

Arman

There's always stuff to do in Seattle. Most people are quite liberal!!!! Totally sweet!! I love the size of SU and the classes. Most are just about between 20 and 30 people. There's tons of stuff to do on campus as well. Sometimes, you forget that you're in the middle of a big city if you live on campus. Take time to explore. The administration is okay. Not the best, but they will hear you out quite well. One thing I'll always remember about SU: The Senior Streak. eeeeeek.

Owen

It's a beautiful place with wonderful people.

If there's one thing I realized after coming to college, is that one of the most important factors in choosing a college should be where it is located, and Seattle tops the charts for me. Set in a city that's big, but not too big, has a million things going on all the time with diverse neighborhoods which are easily accessed right off of your campus is the best thing in the world. You will never be bored at Seattle University. The community is very strong and active with many opportunities for service and learning. And the quarter system allows you to learn and focus on three classes at a time, so that you never feel totally overwhelmed. The faculty and staff truly want you to succeed and help you, and you never have that feeling that everyone is out to destroy you and your grade. It's a great school if you want to learn, but equally want to have new experiences and meet new people, which the school's administration actively promotes.

Seattle University is all about location. The mission of Seattle U is to educate the whole person and that includes getting involved with the community. Seattle U is located a few bus stops away from the middle of downtown Seattle. The culture of Seattle U is very influenced by the city of Seattle. There are so many programs that immerse students in the neighborhoods around our campus that we can see the two sides of Seattle. There is downtown, which is great shopping and seeing tourists. Then there is the people and the residents of Seattle that you can volunteer with or tutor. Our campus is very small and in some ways that is great. I have been to every building and can walk the length of our campus in ten minutes. Our school blends in with the city itself.

Downtown Seattle is great, amazing places to eat, diverse, many clubs and shows and concerts. safe city, just need to have common sense, don't be stupid. Seattle U. is ideally located right by downtown and also the funky Broadway street, with its gay vibe. The school is missing a sense of community among students. Students are dispersed into Seattle, people aren't active in attending events and supporting causes. Very little school pride. The atmosphere is one of restriction. Students aren't crazy and partying and being random and living life. All the college fun has to go under the radar of the school's enforcement. The feeling of SU is if you didn't get a lot of scholarship than why are you going here. UW is a more logical choice for Washington residents who want to be in Seattle. I spend time studying at Starbucks right by SU or hanging out in my friend's room. The most recent controversy on campus is SU's crackdown on off-campus parties. In the majority of student's opinion, enforcement has gone too far. Let us have fun! Also, SU is increasing tuition to move to a higher division in sports, when most students could care less about SU sports and just want lower tuition. The administration can be very inflexible. Housing and meal plans are difficult to negotiate, as are classes. For the tuition paid at SU, one would expect better. Lounge TV and VCR setups don't work on half the floors, the dorm kitchens need major renovation, the food service is overpriced and has poor hours, projectors don't work, teachers can hardly speak english or teach, the school is so hyped up on being "green" that the campus was overrun with gnats spring quarter because of the lack of pesticides...

The best thing about Seattle University is that it is located right in downtown Seattle. While being in the midst of the city, SU is a kind of sanctuary from the bustle of town. If I could change one thing about SU it would be to stop the rapid expansion of the campus. The school is admitting more and more people every year and there is just no place to put them all. And while I wouldn't mind having a bigger campus, I like the small community. I am from California, so the first thing that people say when I tell them that I go to Seattle U. is "Doesn't it rain all the time?" And my response is: "yes, but you go about your business anyway." Most of my time on campus is spent in the business school club office. I am part of the business fraternity and we have an office where we hold meetings, eat lunch, do homework and hang out. The Seattle U. administration always has the interest of the students at heart. And while many things may seen like an inconvenience and a bother, all you have to do is talk to someone. The campus community is so open and friendly, you can make an appointment to talk with the Dean of the business school and he will be more than happy to hear what you have to say. The most recent controversy on campus involves a law enforcement career fair and members of Seattle U. as well as the surrounding community holding a protest of the fair on campus. The protesters called into a local radio station to voice their opinions but did not argue their point very well and the host commented on the education being received at Seattle U. Seattle U. is not as big on sports as many other schools (even though we are going to Division 1 athletics next year). Some people chose Seattle U. because it wasn't big on sports. But the greatest source of school pride comes out at basketball games and soccer matches. One of the most frequent student complaints is about the food. While it is very edible compared to most other schools, prices keep rising and the food quality remains the same. Not to mention that eating the same kind of food every day gets rather boring. One experience that I will always remember from Seattle U. is when I got the opportunity to go to Italy for three weeks one summer with a class. I got to know my professors very well and because of this, I can always talk with them about anything at all.

Anne-Marie

Seattle's biggest perk is the academics in my mind. It has the best creative writing bachelor's program that I've come across in all of my college searching and comparison. It is also rather small, which gives you a much easier time getting around it, and fosters a sense of community. You can get to know people easily because of this situation, and the small class sizes, typically less than 30 people, and usually only around 20. The professors will actually know your name and expect you to participate in classes. SU is not without some downsides though. The ratio of girls to boys is 60:40 and the gap is growing. It also doesn't help that, here on Capitol Hill, there is a large homosexual population. So there's not a lot of dating opportunities out there. There is only one cafeteria, which offers a lot of healthy options, but the hours aren't that conducive to people living on campus and not going home for the weekend. However, the dorms here are far better than any state school I've ever visited (read: they have carpet). In general though, Seattle is a great city to go to school in, with lots of stuff to do and lots of things going on. The Dalai Lama recently visited the city, as did John McCain and Barack Obama during legs of their campaigns.

The location of Seattle University is amazing. There is so much diversity in the area. It's right between Capital Hill, Downtown, and the International district. I love the size of the school. The small size make classes much more engaging and allow for a personal relationship with your professors. Everyone is really involved in social justice issues which is really exciting, knowing you're part of a community that really cares and is trying to make a difference. For a Jesuit campus, the administration is surprisingly open minded as far as the programs and speakers allowed on campus. It's a great school!

Lizzie

The things that bother me so far about SU are that sometimes the school feels a little too small and that the party scene on and around campus is somewhat hidden; you have to make an effort to get out and meet people if you want to party because its not necessarily going to come to you. SU has an odd mix of really rich people and people who are only going to this school because there received a lot money through loans and grants. SU prides itself on being ethnically diverse, but the term is relative based on where you're coming from. The nice thing about SU is that it is in the center of Seattle, so there is always so much you can do if you feel like getting off campus. The most recent controversy that I cared about had to do with the administration not allowing Barack Obama to speak on campus because they were afraid of coming across as supporting one candidate over another.

I think Seattle U is a good size, but unfortunately the administration is expanding and growing our university. The best thing about SU is by far the small classes and personal relationship to profs, but we are definately growing, and plan on keeping it that way. It is a great place, but it is expensive.

The students are for the most part extremely nice and friendly. I'd heard that before I got here, and didn't believe it, because my high school was extremely divided and cliquey. But it's true- people are really open here and everyone is pretty laid back and easy to get along with. We are right in the city so there is always something to explore, but you can also stay really busy just going to all the events on campus- social events, guest lectures, dances, banquets, etc. When I tell people I go here, a lot of them think I'm talking about Seattle Pacific U, so I guess Seattle isn't as well known. Also, a lot of people hear "Catholic" and think a bunch of old nuns with rulers. It's not like that. I've actually never seen a nun here. The Jesuits are pretty well known, but the Catholic part is more of a heritage which affects the social justice mission of the school, and by far the majority of students aren't Catholic, so don't let that scare you off. People complain that tuition is expensive and keeps going up. It's true, but they give good financial aid, and I think that any private school with small classes is expensive.

The best part about Seattle is that it's a relatively small school in a big city. It doesn't get much better than that. The city is amazing and especially being downtown there is always something new to do. The school is small enough so that you don't feel overwhelmed, but it's big enough so that you can meet new people constantly. The class sizes are perfectly sized (about 15 students per class) and the teachers are really helpful one-on-one. Also being a Jesuit University, they don't stress Catholicism and are just really interested in giving each student a well-rounded education. I love the humanities aspect of the school and it's mission of creating a just and humane world is really shown in classes. It's not really a college town but I like that because it forces you to be more independent and experience a big city on your own. All of the classes are really close together and you don't have to walk far for anything - it takes about 7 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other. Also the campus, even though it's open, feels really safe at night and we have a great public safety program. There isn't a lot of school pride, but everyone here is just really interested in getting the best education possible, so everyone has that shared interest, making class discussions really interesting. Also, the food is great!

Ginger

I absolutely love Seattle U, the students are nice and easy to meet. The school is a little small, but students have the entire city to draw on. People that like Seattle U most are those kids that abhor the idea of a faceless state school with crazy parties every night. Get ready to make use of the quirky offerings of Seattle like international film festivals and concerts. There isn't a lot of sports pride, in fact most students are opposed to the move to D1 sports. The administration is easy to deal with, professors are great about meeting with students.

The school is a great little community inside a big busy city. Once you step off campus you're reminded that you're in a big city -- trash on the streets, homeless people, horrible traffic! But stepping on campus, it's quiet, calm, clean, and beautiful! The campus itself is a great location in Seattle, where you can easily walk downtown or to the many music venues in Capitol Hill. Pacific Northwesterners tend to be more cynical than fiercely loyal, so Seattle U doesn't have the most school pride. Sports activities are sporadically attended, even when we win championships. Instead, we're focused more on studies and academics. But I still love my school!

When I first came to SU, after a hard partying senior year I was worried it would be too serious and that it would be tough to party hard because of the city campus. Fortunately I was wrong. The City itself offers ample opportunity to party. There are tons of bars and clubs in the Capitol Hill area where SU is located, however there is a large homosexual population and the bars card...Religiously. On the other hand, I had a good fake for my first 2 years of undergrad and i barely ever had any trouble with it. Everytime my ID got confiscated, a $20 bribe always got it back, and it was always worth it. That being said, every year there are Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors who have houses off campus and open them up for some pretty legit parties. Houses are usually a good 5 minute walk away from campus (which can be a bit dangerous at night) but very easily accessible. Quite possibly the most memorable party to date, Cunt Hunt '08. Absolutely nuts, the administration got a hold of it and there were articles in the school paper and the house owners were threatened by the admin because of the name and theme. Fun times though.

Dale

Seattle University is right on Capitol Hill, meaning it is right next to downtown Seattle. I think Seattle University provides an ideal atmosphere because the campus itself is small and intimate but it is surrounded by a large city which provides a plethora of avenues to be explored. I would say there is a good deal of school pride here, but it's not expressed in the typical ways. Instead of rallies or themed "spirit days", Seattle University express their pride through the productive activities they are involved in. Students are made constantly aware that "commitment to social justice" is not just a line out of the mission statement, its a standard to which the students hold themselves accountable.

The school is small, which I like but gets awkward if you like to remain anonymous. Everyone is upset that the administration spends so much money building things, but I guess that is going to pay off for incoming classes reading this. The best thing is that it's walking distance from downtown, right next to Capital Hill (alternative lifestyle central), and also close to the international district.

Allie

To start off: The biggest issue on campus right now is money. Our school decided to change to divison 1, and most everyone is unhappy with that. This change means cutting art programs, such as German and theater. Also, it means a 9{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} increase in tuition. And when you're already paying over 30,000 to go to school, 9{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} is a big deal; especially when it's for something like athletics at a school where people could care less if we have a soccer or softball team. Other than that, it's nice. The campus gets to be small after a while, but a 4 block walk always brings you outside of the school to a nice park, new resturaunt, or downtown to all the shopping and movies and Pike Place. Not many people have heard of SU. Usually when I say I go here, they reply with "Oh yeah. I've been to SPU. They have a nice campus." I usually correct them and say "Sorry, not SPU. SU. Seattle University. On Capitol Hill." Other times, I just let it fly. There's not really a college town feeling here, but I like that becuase it transitions you into the real world a little better, providing more job oppertunities other than working for the school or in a resturaunt. There's plenty to do and see here. It's easy to get caught up in the goings on around campus, but it's nice to be able to get out easily and experience things on your own.

I absolutely love the size of Seattle University! Its not to small, and defintely not too big. The best thing about the school is the location, being an urban community is so much fun! There are so many things to do on campus and off that it is never boring and you seriously have the city of Seattle as your playground. The next best thing is the class sizes, as a freshmen, I have not had a class over the size of 30, and all my professors have known me and given me great feedback on papers and tests and it has really helped me to be a better student. People usually consider me kinda of a nerd for going to Seattle and maybe rich, because the tuition is rather steep. But to be honest, they give great financial aid packages and make it affordable, at least for me. The biggest controversies on campus are protests, which are awesome! You feel the energy and compassion of the students in what they believe.

Seattle U is located in the center of the Capital Hill district, so the avenues of fun and entertainment are pretty open. The campus is pretty small, class sizes seem to generally be between 15-25 students. Most students on campus will say that's a major reason why they came to Seattle U. The hot spots usually aren't on campus, since it is so small in size, but that's countered by the availability of coffee shops and entertainment spots gallore right off of campus. Some of the big recent controversies on campus include the condom debate. Unlike public colleges and universities, Seattle U is a Jesuit institution which derives it's heritage from the Catholic tradition. Needless to say, condoms can be found everywhere except on campus here. Students have been pretty riled up on both sides, but the administration stands firm on it's opinion about contraceptive use.

Bonnie

There are no sororities or fraternities, which makes the college experience different than a lot of public universities. There are definitely people to party with if you'd like, but there are a large number of people who don't drink or smoke here. It's a very liberal college, and I wouldn't suggest a conservative student go to this school, and that's coming from a liberal. A lot of the classroom discussions are biased and assume that everyone in the classroom has liberal beliefs. Along the same lines, if someone is uncomfortable with homosexuality, then this school would make this person uncomfortable. There is a large population of homo/bi/tras-sexual/gender students here. The class sizes are generally small. Some of the more popular majors are Poli Sci, International Studies, and various liberal arts majors. For someone who is applying, I'd tell them that although the school is very expensive, they give very good scholarship and aid. Oh, and write your essays about diversity.

Seattle University is a (supposedly) Catholic University. While only about half of the students are baptised Catholics and only half of those practicing, the common thread of social justice unites the school's varied populous. If I could change one thing, I would definately try to help people transcend the Nietzschean slave-revolt mentality that many have against tradition--they often define themselves for being non-traditional, throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The school has about 6,000 students, just the right size to have lots of opportunities but not too large as to just become another number. A student here definately associates with the same people enough to make friends, but can always meet new people. Campus has many comfortable areas for dining, study, and simply relaxing with friends. The library, engineering lab, and the residental halls all have accomodating study areas. In the dorms, TV lounges, game rooms, and music rooms all allow students to hang out on campus if they don't feel like going out into the city. Seattle itself is a great place to study, and SU is located a few blocks from downtown. Perhaps the biggest issue on campus is an increased crime rate. It's not so bad that one has to be scared constantly, but one should be smart, never walking late at night, alone, with an I-pod, completely aloof to surroundings. If one is smart, then safety won't be an issue.

Best thing about Seattle is going back home. School is aight, nothing too hard. Administration koo, lots of asians, no black people