Seattle University

« See more reviews of Seattle University

To students (and parents alike): be cognizant of your reasons for choosing a specific college or university. Are you interested in studying something that will have tangible benefits for your future finances or economic status? Alternatively, do you wish to study a subject considered To students (and parents alike): be cognizant of your reasons for choosing a specific college or university. Are you interested in studying something that will have tangible benefits for your future finances or economic status? Alternatively, do you wish to study a subject considered ?academic? regardless of whether or not it may bring financial success? You may not be entirely sure. College is as much milestone as stepping-stone; a sincere attempt at being honest about one?s motivations can aid one in staying focused and can influence positively one?s perceived satisfaction as the result of the labor involved. Additionally, and as silly as it sounds, it can be beneficial to work at being ?periscopic? while in college; that is to say, trying to consider the word ?perspective? and all that it entails. Yours, theirs, forwards, backwards; one must at least attempt to see things that are not directly in one?s line of sight, to see around obstacles instead of only the obstacles. Further, trying to see from as many angles ? vantage points ? as possible whatever it is at which one is looking; flexibility is a must.

When applying to college, I primarily considered location, mission, and money. I focused on a desirable place to be as opposed to any particular school (which can be overwhelming), then looked for schools in those areas with mission statements that resonated with my personal values and goals. After acceptance, I made my decision based on the critical issue of financial aid. However, keep in mind the wealth of opportunity for scholarships and grants, and keeping a positive attitude about attending the school of your (or your child's) dreams. The college experience is unlike any other and afforded to less than 2% of the global population. Making the most of this experience is crucial. First, try everything once (or at least most things)! I suggest becoming a member of various listservs and extracurricular activities, even ones that seem unattractive, as they may turn out to be a new passion. In my experience, academics move you through their course as necessary, therefore, focus on enriching your experience through furthering your education with outside material and experiences and forming lasting relationships. The best thing I have gained from college is my friendship network that I know will last a lifetime. Good luck!

Some common things to consider for students are tuition costs, classroom sizes, location, safety, extracurricular, and facilities. Those are all helpful in narrowing down colleges but the most important decision factor is the program variety. If the school is well-known for particular majors the student is interested in, that?s the best decision factor. Once the student finds the right school, he/she can make the most of it by joining different clubs and taking diverse classes to figure out his/her passions. A common mistake is when students graduate with a degree they assumed they wanted because they didn?t experience other available options since their freshmen year. As for the parents, words of encouragement and support are the best way to help their child since the student is the only individual who can decide for himself/herself. Another advice for the parents is to not worry about the total cost of college. The cost of college for students are considered a big investment because the money spent for the entire college experience will eventually pay off when students begin to earn their own income. Over a billion dollars worth of scholarships and grants are available as well.

Since I've been enrolled in college, I have experienced and accomplished many things. What I have gotten out of my college experience is that working hard leads to success. Considering my background, I never thought that I would be able to attend college. I really enjoy the experience because I've had the chance to meet unique people and made new friends who are devoted to their education. I rather much have friends who are determined to graduate from college because they are a motivation for me to do the same. Attending college is valuable because it increases an individual?s marketability. The way the economy is now, the majority of employer's prefer individuals with college degrees rather than high school diplomas. Once I receive my college degree, I will feel that I would be an inspiration to others who have had a troublesome past. Despite my shortcomings and mishaps, I didn't allow the negativity to through me off course. The experience and the value of attending college are for everyone, no matter what upbringing or troubled background a person has. I will remain determined and motivated to reach my goal of completing college and becoming successful.

The most important aspect of the search for post-secondary education is an open mind. Although economic status, family, and other concerns are always present, scholarships and other opportunities are always available for high school graduates. Post-secondary education, whether it be at a community college, trade school or university, is an integral and important choice towards a successful future. That being said, it is important to find a school that fits each student's individual needs. Try to start planning early, around junior or senior year of high school. With the help of the internet and your high school college counselor, each student can search for post-secondary options that best suit their needs. After the college search and application process is over, it's time to make sure you make the most of your education. Be sure that you take advantage of all the opportunities available to you at this time. College campuses offer a wealth of experiences, and the 4 years will go by much faster than you think. Get involved on-campus and off. Find things that you are passionate about, and you will have a very successful and enriching college career.

Although I have only been going to college for one quarter, so many things come to mind when people ask me if I am glad I attend college. I learned about new people, personalities, cultures and ways of thinking. I am able to see a new person out of me; I learn new things every day about myself and everything I did not know . I learn about sustainability, homosexuality, homelessness, poverty in America and issues on technology. College has helped me to become a better writer and critical thinker because typing a 10-15 page every week isn't unusual for me. The critical thinking comes along when typing an essay because the topics and styles of writing are frequently mixed. The most unusual form was exploratory and proposal argument essays. College is valuable because taking a step from high school to the real world does not help people see the big picture of relations with other countries and issues from different perspectives. College helps us to be open minded and helps student receive an education that can help the future generation have a better life; whether it deals with sustainability, technology or the economy.

Being the first individual in my family to attend college has been very valuable and important to me. I have embraced college openly. I am enjoying the opportunity, as well as finding my niche to truly succeed. I have gained many things as a college student. College is a time students can truly become their own person and evolve into what they will be the rest of one’s life. I have become more independent and have taken on important responsibilities. I have always relied on my parents for support, but at college I have been able to learn how to succeed on my own. College has so far given me countless benefits, including time management skills, improved work ethics, and critical thinking abilities. A College education gives me a valuable base of knowledge that I can use to build my intelligence. It teaches someone to solve more of life’s problems, on their own. College has given me the opportunity to meet a very diverse crowd of people in the student body. It has been rewarding to meet and befriend many people as it has strengthened my personal growth. Thanks for your consideration for the Campus Discovery Scholarship.

Seattle University is designed towards making industrial men and woman who also value justice and community service. Attending this school not only builds the potential to obtain a better job after graduation but it also builds character within the men and women who choose to attend. Seattle University also strives to make leaders out of the students who attend. Leadership positions are offered in abundance and teach students the importants of responsibility and teamwork. The clubs here are all designed towards philanthrophy. Attending this school has taught me the importance of becoming a better citizen to maintain a social conscience so that all of humanity may prosper in a just yet industrious way. Seattle University has given me the opportunity to open my eyes to a word far beyond my own. I now know that there is a world far beyond any individual person that can be mended with a little bit of altruism and coalition. Seattle University has served as the lighthouse for anyone whose dreams are seemingly in the dark. This school is manufacturing the hope and faith that it takes to build a better tomorrow.

Transitioning into college is a big step in a person's life, it shapes a person and their future career. Before deciding on a school I believe that it is important to make three lists; list one should contain potential majors that the student may want to pursue, list twoshould contain specific values that are important to the student, and list three should contain important location qualities that they want the school to contain. The first list is important because a student should choose a school that has several of the student's potential majors available to them. Many students begin college set on a specific major and then within a year decide to change their major. I believe that making a list of values that are central to who the student is is also important because some schools are better qualified than others to help a student maintain these morals. Lastly, the location of the university is very important because a person cannot be happy unless they enjoy their surroundings. As you can see there are a lot of considerations that need to be taken into consideration before deciding on a university.

Students should visit the college as many times they can before deciding. If possible, the student should sit in on classes in both GE and in the program they intend to study. Students should seek the school that is strong in the area they want to study. They should also seek a strong program in the extra-curricular programs they are interested and most comfortable in. They should recognize the travel costs and living expenses of the area. It is important to find out about on and off campus housing and whether or not you will need a car or can walk/ride bike/bus, etc. All colleges are expensive. Seek any financial aide possible and see what kind of help you will get if you attend a certain college. Another important aspect is the weather. I almost changed schools because the weather is so depressing in Seattle. I am from California and I physically got depressed from the lack of sunshine. I have a strong base of friends and play on the soccer team so have decided to stay. Once you are going to college, take advantage of all the programs and extra-curricular events the school offers.