Sanford, FL
Seminole State College of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Seminole State College of Florida

Victoria

Small community college that provides decent education and direct transfer to University of Central Florida after AA degree

Dear high school self, When you stop eating fruits and vegetables for three weeks, defecating will eventually feel like you are trying to pass an iron rod. Two factors make eating right in college very difficult: one, healthy food is often much more expensive than junk food; and two, junk food tastes awesome. You will also discover that many events during your first two weeks of college provide lots of free food (which is also not terribly healthy). There is rarely a voice of reason to prohibit you from downing a dozen doughnuts in 1 hour or having a cheeseburger and fries every day for lunch. While everyone has most likely heard of the dreaded "freshman 15," many people fail to mention the excruciating act of passing stools when your terrible diet also lacks sufficient fiber. It's a bit like sharp, jagged rocks exiting your butt that you must also willingly push through. So try eating a banana every once in a while. It'll save you from busting a blood vessel when you're on the toilet.

I wish that I had applied myself to be a better student rather than slack off in high school.

Erika

Our self-representation, the way we define who we are, takes a role in shaping our life story. What we remember, what we stress as significant, and what we omit of our pass define our present. “Life gives us the test, and then teaches us the lesson.” If there was a way we could go back, anyway that would let us advice ourselves what we know now, a lot would change. Put to practice our wisdom right when life presents us with a test. Senior year, an age where you think you know it all. Truthfully, you have not experienced half of all the responsibilities, life changing events, and difficulties life gives us. I would advise my senior 18 year old self to appreciate what I have, to enjoy the little things, like, only going to school, having your parents support you financially, being able to go out every weekend, having one chapter test, having a research paper due in three months instead of three days, and not having a full-time job. Just feeling young and thinking you have the rest of your life to do whatever you want. Accept change, live life, dream big, and be happy.

Any student that is looking for an affordable college with various carreer fields.

Joshua

The best advice I can give to high school seniors stressing about college is to pick a school that offers the things you want. Don't be afraid to turn down a scholarship or go to a different school than your parents. Make sure you find a school that offers the major you want to explore and if you aren't sure yet take 2 years and go to a community college to figure it out, you'll save money and not have the pressure of chosing at 18 years old. Everyone doesn't know what they want to do with the rest of their life out of high school, I didn't!

The worst thing about my school is it still being seen as a community college and not a state school.

The person that should attend this school is somehow who wants to make a future for themselves without breaking the bank.

Anastasia

In general: the Honors students are very outgoing and fun-loving. The art students are also friendly. The students in my 'ordinary' classes are often quiet, but several of them are friendly and chatty.

I would tell myself only to focus on one week at a time. In the beginning, I often felt overwhelmed by all the work I had to do that I could not simply sit down and complete all at once. I would tell myself not to worry about it, and to make priority lists so I could get through everything efficiently and calmly. Also, I would tell myself to see an educational advisor and formulate an education plan. If I had done this, I would have completed several prerequisite classes for my major. As it is, I'll now have to take those classes at my next university, which will be more expensive. I would also give myself several tips for college writing. I had focused on creative writing previously, and it took me a while to make the transition. For example, comments from English professors are demands, not suggestions! Also, I would give myself advice regarding thesis statements, which took me about the whole semester to figure out. Due to my ignorance here, I barely scraped by with a 'C' in that class, which damaged my GPA.

As a previously dual-enrolled student, I'll earn my A.A. after paying for only two semesters.

Sara

My school is best known for it's great staff, friendly campus and their business majors. More importantly, they're mostly known for their Direct Connect Program; which is where if you go to Seminole for two years you can automatically be accepted into UCF.

I would tell myself that even though you have thirty-three credits, pay attention, also to have a little fun and not to be constantly studying. Also to take online classes so you can increase your work hours and lastly to not freak out over college, it's just longer and has more work.

The most frustrating thing world be how slow their staff is with the admissions process.

Deborah

I hope your going to college as soon as you get out of Aviation High. I understand you are unsure of what you intend to study but there are many options for students like you. Community Colleges offer great programs for students who want to get their foot into college but who may not be ready for the commitment of a 4- year university or cannot afford it right away. Many of these community colleges also offer Majors in Liberal Arts which allows you to explore the many subjects offered in universities if you find yourself confused or undecided in choosing a major. There is no need to take time off from school when you have so many options and people in the colleges willing to guide you. Financial Aid and scholarships are always available and it is to your advantage that you stay on top of them. Get more involved in school by joining different programs, clubs, and activities; These all help you for future scholarships, internships and networking as well. Soon enough you will realize that its not just what you do but also who you know that will bring you a step closer to achieving your goals.

Mitra

Seminole Commnity College is an educational envirnoment that which conceives polished students for the dynamic oppotunities that await them when they graduate.

My peers at Seminole Community College represent the plethora of unique ideas that engage your mind to desire to learn and grow.

Dear Self, Right now you are probably helping Tony do his physics homework, or tutoring a freshman afterschool with what is to you, easy Spanish grammar concepts. You're doing good things Mitra, but I have to break something of extreme importance to you because the fruits of your nonlabor have not been enjoyed. Are you ready? Here goes. It's time to enjoy something for yourself. You have focused too much time on helping others and attending to others' needs to make them happy, but you have neglected to smile, laugh and be happy. Enjoy something now because when you become who I am today, it's not a pretty sight. You have forgotten how to enjoy life and it has cost you a great fortune. Frankly, right now you spend more time appeasing other people's problems than enjoying the moments that highschool has given you to be happy about. Go out. Break something. Go to Steve's birthday party, but be smart. Have fun and be happy because you can enjoy that sweet fruit of nostalgia when you're slogging through Monday morning calculus in college. So, create those memories Mitra. Just trust me. Sincerely, Yourself

Maclain

Seminole Community College, is a fairly small college that provides students the opportunity to achieve their A.A. at a lower cost and in a smaller setting.

I would tell myself to begin investigating what my interests are through volunteering and internships. Although, there is still plenty of time to declare my major, it would be very helpful if I had known even a general direction in which my interests lie. That way I could have at least taken electives focused towards that interest even without knowing my specific major. Now, I am almost finished with my Associate's degree, am getting ready to transfer, and am just now beginning to figure out what I would like to focus on. I wish I could have at least figured out a general subject I knew I wanted to aim towards, that way I would already have many of the general electives for the subject type completed.

The worst thing about Seminole Community College (now Seminole State college), in my opinion, is the fact that it is difficult to get the classes you need within the schedule you want. There is alwasy a very long line to register, but I'm sure that it's just as difficult at any other Univeristy or College. They do seek to elimintate this issue as well by allowing students to register online after their first semester.

Dabney

After spending over 20 years in a career that I did not intentionally choose, I decided to go back to school to learn more about a career option that I've always been interested in. Going back to school has ben valuable in learning the ins and outs needed for the career path I am trying to break into. I have encountered professors who are extremely knowledgeable in the field with a great deal of practical application also. They have all worked in the field, not just having education for the field. I believe the education I am receiving will be a great benefit when I am ready to work my way into my chosen career field.

I believe a recent high school grad who is extremely outgoing and who is interested in a career path that isn't offered at this school should attend a larger school with the correct major selection.

There are quality teachers and small class sizes compared to the big universities. Even though Seminole State College was recently a community college, it has now become a 4 year school. Thus, a 4 year degree can be obtained much cheaper than at a large university.

It is so hard to imagine that I was a high school senior two years ago and now I am well on my way to becoming an adult with a lot of life experience under my belt. If I were to go back and talk to myself at that point in time, I would encourage myself to listen to my parents who encouraged me to succeed in school and try harder. I would have made sure I spent more time studying and participating in more student activities that involve knowledge about the world and culture. Being in college, I have learned that there are so many cultures and so much to learn but when we are sheltered while in High School it is nearly impossible to take the time to learn all there is to learn about these many cultures and practicies in the averaged four years that college is being attended. I am sure if I were to go back and give myself advice, I would be just as stubborn as I was back then but the life experience I have seen may make all the difference for me.

If you are a student that not only cares about succeeding in life, but also making close bonds with professors and fellow students then this small school is the perfect place to recieve an education. Any student who likes to participate in classroom discussions, hallway discussions, or in group activities would LOVE Seminole.

If you are not a dedicated, hard working student who likes to speak up and participate in student disccussion and activities then Seminole is not the place for you. At this school there is room for imagination and growth whether you are walking down the halls or in a classroom, everyone at the school encourages you to speak your mind and be completely open.

Seminole State College of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.