South Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Seton Hall University

Fixed  rate loan

As you become a high school senior, you must decide what to do with the rest of your life; most students opt to attend college. The most important thing piece of advice I wish I would have been given as a high school senior is this: although you think you are at the same place in your life as the others that you graduate with, you are not! Grades, yes, are an extremely important way to predict how one will handle college, but it is definitely not the most important. How you, yourself can adapt to change is a huge factor in what kind of college experience you will have. Some students believe that since their friends who are on the same academic level as they are moving off to a major university, that they too are ready to move off; however, in reality not every person is ready for such a drastic transition. There is absolutely nothing wrong with attending a junior college after graduation. If you think you may not be ready for a dramatic change in your life, junior college is the way to go for a perfect transition!

Phoebe

The community. Everyone on this campus cares about you. When you walk on campus, people will smile and say hello, even if they don't know who you are. The professors want to get to know you and be more than just instructors; tehy want to be your firends and welcome any questions that might have. If you need help figuring something out, or want to see a counselor, the doors are always open. This University does not jsut want you to excell in getting an education and career, but wants to help you develope long lasting relationships and skills.

The food. If you go on a tour, they praise the cafeteria and the options available. It's even raked as one of the best cafeterias. But I find that it's the same food choices everyday, with limited options. Yes we have a Wok-It-Up station and a Tex-Mex, but if you are in a rush and don't have time to make your own food, it's unhealthy and bland. They also serve too mich meat, not enough fish and it's the same menu for lunch and dinner. I'd lkie to see better food.

Caitlin

Dear future self: Invest in a hair straightener before starting freshman year! One graduation photo looking like a poodle is more than enough. More importantly, remember Grandma's advice: everything in moderation. Study hard, and work to make something of yourself, but allow yourself to have some fun, too. College is a good time to explore who you are as an individual, so branch out! Say hello to everyone. Join a few clubs. Accept the invitation to cute-Physics-guy's party (but just drink the soda. You will later find out that someone has done some incredibly unhygienic things to the punch). Enjoy every moment of college, but remember that they are simply that: moments. Savor the good ones, and let the bad ones roll off of your back. When you stumble - and you will - take a night to yourself to relax with your friends Ben & Jerry, and tomorrow pick yourself back up. It will be worth the challenges in the end.

You have to be a genuinely nice person! What attracted me to SHU in the first place was how friendly and helpful everyone in campus was. Not everyone is outgoing, and not everyone is shy. But everybody there is willing to wave and smile when you pass them on campus. Additionally, if you're looking for a big campus, SHU is not for you. But, if you're like me and want to be able to run from one end of campus to the other in under seven minutes, Seton Hall might be your place!

Seton Hall is generally great - however, dealing with your advisor will make or break your experience. Many of my friends loved their advisors. I happened to be Pre-Med. The PreMed "Committee" is comprised of only one professor who is unkind and may or may not absolutely refuse to write a recommendation letter for you. There is a way around this, however. If you're dealing with someone uncooperative, stop the problem immediately and get a new advisor - there are plenty of really great faculty and staff members who would be much more willing to help.

NyAsia

Seton Hall University is a highly prestigious, private catholic university which incorporates nothing but kind and intelligent students, staff and the community as a whole. The main mission of the University is to stress the importance of higher education through Catholicism and the value of faith. Although SHU is a Catholic university, it does not pressure non-catholics into practicing that faith, which is why there's a broad range of diverse religions; from Judaism, to Christianity. Going to SHU not only brings together students from all different backgrounds, but it also gives the value of a good education.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would stress the importance of time managment. Ever since I could remember, I had always been put on a time schedule to eat, sleep and do my school work, so for me to go to college and not have that structure it was overwhelming. I had to be the one to incorporate eating three meals a day around my hectic schedule, as well as getting the proper amount of sleep needed at night. Getting a valued education is important in college but keeping myself healthy in terms of eating, sleep and exercise is even more important, because without those elements there is no valued education. I would prepare myself as a high school senior on making my own schedule and being in control of my own life. Independence; thinking for ones self without the influence or control of others, and that is the hardest thing to adjust to. Its an important trait but a hard transition to prepare for in the matter of two months, which is why i would stress the importance of time management to myself as a high school senior.

Seton Hall University is an excellent school to attend, but it is by far perfect. The staff, faculty and students are all welcoming and the education that the students receive is distributed by highly intelligent specialists in their fields, but the area which the school is located is the worst thing about the school. SHU is right in the middle of a bad neighborhood but there are special transportation services available, so that nobody has to walk anywhere off campus. Although the location itself is not good, SHU still came up with a solution with the transportation services.

Monique

Other than the Whitehead School of Diplomacy, the academic programs at Seton Hall are decent at best. Students often complain about the food, the strict dorms, the bad neighborhood that Seton Hall borders, and the lack of a 'college town'. If there was one thing i could change, I would make people stay there on the weekends - it is literally a ghost town Friday afternoons through Sunday evenings. A lot of students have a lot of the pride for the school, and love attending our basketball games.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I received an academic scholarship that made it impossible to refuse go to Seton Hall. I had applied because of the Diplomacy Program.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Definitely the library. If you can work with some noise, the second floor, otherwise head up to the third or fourth floors.

The student body is very ethnically diverse, and students come from a variety of financial backgrounds, thanks to the school's generosity with scholarships (both merit and need-based). Seton Hall is a Catholic University, and almost all students are Christian to some degree, but you will not necessarily feel out of place if you don't share their faith. Despite the diversity, there is visible ethnic segregation on campus in terms of friend groups.

Justine

Due to my majors I have had experience with the Education Department and the English Department. I have found many wonderful professors in both departments who have shaped my future and had in integral part in my experience at Seton Hall. There are some people I have encountered in the school across the board who are not professional and/ or rude to students. I feel as though they could be a bit more understanding at times and speak to us like adults instead of treating us like children and only worrying about money. I spend a lot of my time on campus in the library or in the Cove. They are by far my two favorite places on campus. The library is aboslutely fabulous and has a wealth of information regarding anything you may need to write papers. There is also plenty of room to do homework and study. The Cove is wonderful! I love going there in between classes to grab a cup of coffee, chat with friends, or get some extra work done. There is a bit more noise than the library, but definitely a great environment to do homework. There is a lot of school pride and there is almost always something going on in the middle of The Green. The most frequent compaints I have heard from my peers is that the school is not worth the exhorbatant tuition fees.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

When applying to colleges I was not in love with any single school. There was no college that I had my heart set on. When a Seton Hall representative came to my school I was sold on this school escpecially becasue I got accetped on early decision. I felt that it was close enough to home that I could dorm and come home frquently. It had a program that I was extremely interested in (Sports management, but eventually changed to Education which is also a great program). I also had my two best friends going to the school as well.

Basketball is huge at Seton Hall and all of the students get very excited about going to the games. Greek life is very popular at the school as well. There is a little town three blocks away from the school that students can enjoy instead of drinking. SOPAC holds performances weekly and is also part of a beautiful movie theater. There are plenty of beautiful restaurants and cafes in the area and Short Hills shopping mall is 15 minutes away. It generally is not safe to walk late at night by yourself or in a small group. Students should plan their night time activites based on the SHUFLY schedule which is a shuttle provided by Seton Hall that will transport you to and from places within a certain mileage. Students do leave their doors open, but RAs prefer that we do not because of fire codes and such. They are very serious about that and following the rules in the dorms due to a serious fire in one of the dormitories a few years ago.

All of my professors know my name and remember me from semesters I have been in their classes. My absolute favorite classes were Shakespeare taken with Dr. Sherman, British Literature II taken with Dr. Farina, and Exceptional Child taken with Dr. Glaser. All of these classes were required for me to take given my double major in English and Education. I largely depends on the class you are in to determine class participation. I have noticed that smaller classes have more participation and all of my Education classes had a large amount of participation. Classes that are required of students generally do not have much participation. If students elected to be in that class, they generally participate. Students are not very competitive. This is not to say they aren't smart, but they are not openly competitive or mean spirited about doing well in class. I think everyone comes together in class to help each other out and build off of one another for class discussion.

The stereotype of the students at my school is that we are all from Staten Island or New Jersey, the we are all commuters, and that those of us from New Jersey are from the "hood". This is not right about the students at Seton Hall. A lot of students are from all over the country. I have made a plethora of friends that are well rounded and accomplished people. While many students are from New Jersey it does not detract from the environment or experience.

Tara

I absolutely love Seton Hall! The best part about the school is it's atmosphere and community. It truly has become my second home, and the people there have become my second family. The size is ideal; it is not too big, where you feel like you're just a fish in the ocean, and it's not too small where you know every single person. It's size allows you to have a wide array of friends. Also, the campus can be walked across within 15 minutes, so you're never too far from anything. Seton Hall also has a great reputation for its academics. I always receive positive reactions when I tell people where I attend college. They seem to be very impressed, and ask a lot of questions about it. Also, I love it's location! It's near Newark, so be careful! The town of South Orange is very quaint and beautiful! It's only 13 miles away from NYC, so I go there with friends a lot. Like I said, I love Seton Hall's atmosphere and sense of community! The atmosphere is very positive and peaceful, which helps out when you're stressed with school work. I hardly ever had a "bad" day, because it's a place where you can easily be put in a better mood. The student community is extremely close. There is not much drama like there was in high school. In actuality, most students bond because of their love for the school. Don't get me wrong, drama and fights take place, but it's rare. Also, students, for the most part, are very mature and ambitious, so there's never a lot of negativity. To me, Seton Hall is more than a university, it is a place that has allowed me to grow academically, socially, and even emotionally. I could not see myself at any other college.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I fell in love with the campus when I visited. I could really picture myself there and making it my second home.

There are usually two stereotypes associated with Seton Hall University. One, people say it's a rich Catholic school. It does get that reputation for a reason, there are a decent amount of wealthy students that attend. The rich students are, for the most part, very modest and down to earth. Does this mean that all the students have money? Of course not! Students at SHU come from all different backgrounds. Seton Hall's diversity is one of it's best attributes! I love having friends from all parts of the country and even the world! The other stereotype is that Seton Hall is a strict Catholic university. The only "strict" aspect is the guest policy in the dorms. Because it is a Catholic university, overnight guests must be the same sex. However, students always have their friends sign in their significant other. So the policy is more irritating than anything, but hey, college is about learning and meeting new people, so it shouldn't really be an issue. Also, many people think you have to be a devout Catholic to study here. That is not true at all. Students are required to take two religious courses, which cover all religions. So Catholocism is not forced down your throat. Seton Hall does have a very religious atmosphere, with the chapel and seminary on campus. However, I believe it makes the atmosphere more peaceful and comforting. I enjoy it, and I am not a practicing Catholic.

Seton Hall University is that perfect size where not everyone you meet is going to know your life history yet still small enough where there are plenty of people who care about you. While we are affiliated with South Orange, we are far from a college town. However, we are close enough to New York that one can enjoy the wonders of Time Square on any given day of the year. The best thing about Seton Hall would have to be the Green, in the center of campus. Not only does it add just the right amount of beauty to the campus, but it also adds life through the countless people that can be found relaxing there on a warm day. Although I have had many memorable experiences, one that sticks out the most is getting the opportunity to add some joy to my day through interacting with the priests. Seton Hall University is a Catholic school, but the priests, especially Father John, come out every day to greet and talk to the students. This really gives my school a "homey" feel that I never really had anywhere else.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Seton Hall University for the beauty that the campus Green has to offer. Since I love the country side as well as the city environment, Seton Hall offers the best of both worlds while not being far from home.

Academics here at Seton Hall are challenging, but in just the right format to keep the students active in their education. In my program, nursing, the professors are always on hand to help the students succeed. In fact, one of my professor stayed extra time after class to help me clarify and practice a concept that was very difficult for me to grasp. Furthermore, my program educates students for the purpose of learning. If you do not get a good grade in a certain class, you are still guaranteed to walk out knowing a variety of information that you didn't before. My favorite class is tough since I have had so many awesome classes here. However, if I had to choose, it would be my Health Assessment class. This class is geared at preparing student nurses for the hospital environment by educating them in vital signs and interacting with patients on a healthcare basis. Students here are dedicated to the point where studying is a common habit, yet there are still plenty of events offered here that can help one relax when studying gets to be a bit too much. For my program, the academic requirements are perfect since they prepare one for success in nursing. The requirement of at least a C in my classes drives the competition to go above and beyond in striving for success.

When you look at my school, it is hard to find a stereotype that would fit us. The students all come from different backgrounds and as a result, we do not form the stereotypical view of most college campuses. On any given night one can experience culture with one of the international clubs, become involved with school events through organizations such as the Student Activities Board and Student Government Association, or become actively involved in the community either through Campus Ministry or one of the numerous Greek organizations available on campus.

Matthew

If you let it, Seton Hall can be a good place for you. Sure there are a lot of problems, but there is also a lot to be appreciated. There are the usual complains, “The food sucks”, “the tuition is high,” and yea there is no denying certain problems, but there are a lot of things the people who go here take for granted. I have heard stories from friends who ended up in nice colleges, with beautiful campuses, with the nearest city 45 minutes away. Yes Seton Hall has a campus which is limited to say the least, the school virtually shuts down at 1, the cafeteria and all forcing you to order Chinese food way too often, yes if you walk around outside the gates at night you might get robbed and yes there are stupid guest policies you need to get them signed into the dorms, but Seton Hall is in no way the worst place in the world. Although the campus is not the greatest environment in the world it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. There are plenty of bars in South Orange and there is a train station real close to the school, making for a quick ride to New York. You’re first year you will really enjoy meeting people and the college experience. After that you will want more and the areas surrounding Seton Hall really do have a lot to offer.

I can tell you about my experience. I didn’t pledge a fraternity, I commuted my freshman year. Pledging is a difficult process on its own and even though I wanted to I knew I could not commute back and forth while pledging- it was just too much. But somehow I ended up hanging out with a group of Filipinos. I am white and had never hung out with Asians before, but we all commuted and it worked out well. Eventually they got me to join their organization FLASH- Filipino League at Seton Hall. They were all older than me for the most part and we would party together quite often. Even though I very much regretted commuting my freshman year (I do suggest dorming for the first one). The people I ended up meeting my first year here had a positive impact on my life that went beyond my greatest expectations.

Seton Hall is very diverse. There are a good portion of commuters and many of the people are from Jersey, but you can be assured that if you go to Seton Hall you will meet people from environments that are very different from your own.

Seton Hall has a good reputation academically. I came into school here as a political science major and before my junior year have switched my major quite a few times. I was going to go to grad school for Occupational Therapy, but decided to instead pursue a graduate degree in Accounting (I will do that for one year here after my undergrad) And as someone who has changed my major many times I can tell you what I have experienced. Basically I have found that everything very much varies. Some majors, such as nursing are notoriously difficult and others are not known to be bad at all. There are teachers, who you will have unbelievable respect for and there are those who you will hate and curse in between cups of red bull as you cram for whatever unspeakably horrible exam you know will be coming the next day. Overall the teaching here is good and there are internships available through the career center. Even though school learning can never totally prepare you for whatever career path you are pursuing, Seton Hall makes an honest effort.

I don’t think you can stereotype students at Seton Hall in the same way you would in high schools. People here do tend to form clicks and they do tend to hang out with their core group of friends, mostly because people here tend to become closest with those who they see more of. There are kids from the radio station and certain fraternities; there are roommates and people from certain ethnic clubs. And yea people do say things sometimes about people from certain clubs or majors. For instance anytime nursing majors get together you know you’re going to be confused, and anytime diplomacy majors get together you hope they’re not going to be arguing about breaking news in country you’ve never heard of. Even though people do say things about certain groups and majors, I have found that in the end you end up defining yourself.

There are so many students on campus that it is hard to even figure out where to begin. Even though Seton Hall University is a private catholic university, there are still a wide variety of students who attend from all different walks of life. There are quite a few different religious groups welcomed on campus, among which are Muslims, Jews and Hindi's to name a few. There are even atheists who find a home at SHU! Even though SHU is a private catholic university the campus itself is very welcoming to all kinds of people. For example, there is a club on campus to promote the LGBT movement, called Allies. SHU offers a place for students to learn about other culture, explore your own, and discover new possibilities and truths about oneself through interaction between the different groups who attend the university.

The professors at Seton Hall University are really friendly and smart, and because the class size is so small it is very easy to develop a relationship with the professors on campus. The professors always make time for his/her students and offer excellent help and advice in regards to present classwork/situations and future graduate/professional opportunities. The professors want to see his/her students excel and work to help them. The students, likewise, are willing to put a decent amount of time, effort and hard work into his/her coursework to make sure that he/she excels in their major. I would not say that the students are so super competitive that they work 24/7, but the students who do attend SHU understand the importance of hard work and the benefits of a great education which is why they will work as hard as they can without overexerting him/herself.

Seton Hall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.