South Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Seton Hall University

Fixed  rate loan

Noteisha

Seton Hall is very friendly and community based.

Seton Hall is very friendly and community based.

My school is known for the great atmopshere.

If I could go back in time to talk to my old self, I would tell myself to decide what I want to do after college because basketball may not be around forever. I would encourange myself to make great lifelong friends and network. Being able to get to know my professors will be very important. To take class a little more serious and work a little harder on the court. I would encourage myself to make friends outside of my team. I would tell myself to join as many clubs and organizations as I can that wont interfere with basketball becuase that will be great practice and networking for post college. I also would tell myself to find an internship (or two) that I will enjoy doing and meet and network with people I can keep in touch with in the long run. I would also tell myself to grow up, it gets real.

jamie

They are best known for their basketball team. They over emphasize everyones "school spirit" for the games and in general. The "school spirit" feels very forced and not a lot of people go to the games unless we're in the playoffs or something.

I would advise myself to shoot for my dreams but to be more realistic. My dad suddenly passed away as i was applying to college. At the same time my mom had cancer. My decisions about college were made on a very distracted premise. I didnt listen to my mom or anyone for that matter. The truth is, listen to your parents! They are usually right. It is totally worth going to a state school/more afforable college than to spend money at a prestigious college when you don't even know what you're yet passionate about! Take your time because despite the fact that everyone is trying to rush you into making all these big decisions, you have a lot of it. In your undergrad there are a lot of people who don't know what they want. Let that be the time to explore things you wouldnt normally. I know many people who have switched majors, including me. You can always transfer schools or further your education at a higher ranked university in a graduate program where it really matters nowadays. Follow your heart and take your time when deciding. Its your life, no one elses.

The student body is hard to get adjusted to. Im not someone that normally feels uncomfortable but here i did. Until i joined my sorority and found people to do things with.

ahmed

I know how intimidating it is knowing you have a huge milestone ahead of you to overcome . At first it seems like you’re entering a new world with no familiar faces around, but trust me that feeling never lasts. Never doubt yourself and never doubt the power of believing in yourself. Take advantage of all the opportunities at your disposal, stay active, but don’t get in over your head there only so much time you can spare. Everyone has their weaknesses but the key is to take those weakness, improve on them, and make them your strengths. Don’t be afraid to fail; failure is the first step on the right track. But you have to learn from your mistakes; if you’re on the right tack but not progressing the train will hit you. The next step, in the words of Socrates, is to admit that you don’t know anything and your thirst for knowledge will lead you to the fountain of success. Most importantly, you are you, don’t let anything or anyone change that and always remember the words of Sean McCabe : “You will never influence the world by trying to be like it.”

There are quite a few things I wish would've known before attending Seton Hall University. For instance how easy it is to make new friends. On the first day of school I was so intimidated of walking up to a bunch of strangers and starting a conversation, however, later on I realized how easy it was to make friends. Secondly I wish I would’ve known how to speak my mind during awkward moments; college is full of them. Most importantly I wish I would’ve known how to manage my time more appropriately; time is of the essence.

When my friends and family ask me what I like most about Seton Hall University I reply without hesitation: everything! One thing that stands out are the professors. They are true professionals in their field of expertise and offer a one-on-one approach to teaching. The second is the community, from the alumni to the security personal and everything in between. They do everything to the best of the capabilities to make the students and visitors feel welcomed. The main thing I brag about are my new friends; in my time of desolation they made me feel at home.

Sabino

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to not mess around, study hard, listen to financial aid recruters, dont procastinate, and apply for a lot of scholarship!!!

Deanna

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the one advice that I would give to my past self is to not rush and take in every moment as long as possible. Back then, I was in such a hurry to grow up and be on my own in the real world making my own money and doing my own thing, but honestly, I miss having those free times where I could just relax by my locker and go on Facebook or chit chat with a couple of friends. Nowadays, after my school days are over, I go to the libary and if I see a friend, I will talk for a bit and then scurry off to do homework that is due the coming week because of all the other work I have to complete in my busy schedule. I have to admit that my high school self was way too confident in thinking that college life was going to be a breeze and it's not because it takes a lot of independency to accomplish self driven goals.

The one thing that I consider the worst aspect about my school is the parking. It is horrendous in the morning and the nightmare of trying to find a spot continues into early afternoon. Don't get me wrong...Seton Hall is putting good use of the money it is receiving from the students' tutions to good use with the making of new parking lots and other projects, but most of the time it gets to a person when he/she has to park on the side of the street with his/her classes on the other side of campus.

The one thing that I brag most about to my friends about my school is that there are always people to make friends with and do fun activities with at any given time. I transferred to Seton Hall Univeristy with a fear that I was not going to have as many friends like I did at my other school; however, I presented myself as the bubbly and outgoing person I always thought myself to be and made friends with those who joined me in the making of hilarious and meaningful memories.

Kevin

Take your time! There is no need to rush your life. It is more important to be focused and sure of where you want to go in life. That being said, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Own them and use them to your advantage to get where you want to in life. As much as your parents may be saying college needs to happen right now, tell them that you need to get your own life straight before you jump into thousands of dollars of debt. You are very creative, use that to your advantage and stop being so timid about giving input to others and yourself. Don't be afraid to stand out and think independently. You can have great work ethic if you want, but since you haven't cultivated that trait right now. What you really need is to work with what you have to become a great and kind person. Keep in mind alternate points of view and don't forget to smile!

Cost of tuition and amount of students here.

Phoebe

My classmates are diverse, opinionated, enthusiastic, bright, intelligent, ready to support and be friends with others ; they challenge me to be the very best student, servant, and citizen that I can be.

Firstly, enjoy the college process. Not many people get that far. Most importantly, prepare to teach yourself. The transition will require you to go from active listening (which is what you do in high school), to active teaching. Your professors won't walk you through the material. That's your responsibility. You need to read the book, understand the material, and be able to do all work associated. The professor is just there to guide you and answer any specific questions you might have; they will not TEACH you. For every class that you are struggling with as a high school student, put in five times more the amount of effort. If you don’t understand it on your own, go to the teacher, find a tutor, search the internet for demonstrations and explanations, and ask for help. Do not throw in the towel and give up or say “I’m just stupid”. The second you do that is the second you fail. If you give up, you will not succeed in college. Be prepared for hard and challenging material. And always remember that you can do this; if other people have succeeded, you can too! Don’t give up.

The cafeteria. Lunch and dinner are the same menu. There is no healthy choice option. It's french fries, burgers, and pasta on a regular basis. They have a Wok station, but it does not compare to the real thing. I want to see more options, such as a Mediterranian station, better salad options, and more fruit available. I doubt that the dishes are washed properly; one time my fork had orange mush on it. The school prides itself on being "a home for the mind, body, and spirit". With the food options, it is detrimental to the body.

As you become a high school senior, you must decide what to do with the rest of your life; most students opt to attend college. The most important thing piece of advice I wish I would have been given as a high school senior is this: although you think you are at the same place in your life as the others that you graduate with, you are not! Grades, yes, are an extremely important way to predict how one will handle college, but it is definitely not the most important. How you, yourself can adapt to change is a huge factor in what kind of college experience you will have. Some students believe that since their friends who are on the same academic level as they are moving off to a major university, that they too are ready to move off; however, in reality not every person is ready for such a drastic transition. There is absolutely nothing wrong with attending a junior college after graduation. If you think you may not be ready for a dramatic change in your life, junior college is the way to go for a perfect transition!

Phoebe

The community. Everyone on this campus cares about you. When you walk on campus, people will smile and say hello, even if they don't know who you are. The professors want to get to know you and be more than just instructors; tehy want to be your firends and welcome any questions that might have. If you need help figuring something out, or want to see a counselor, the doors are always open. This University does not jsut want you to excell in getting an education and career, but wants to help you develope long lasting relationships and skills.

The food. If you go on a tour, they praise the cafeteria and the options available. It's even raked as one of the best cafeterias. But I find that it's the same food choices everyday, with limited options. Yes we have a Wok-It-Up station and a Tex-Mex, but if you are in a rush and don't have time to make your own food, it's unhealthy and bland. They also serve too mich meat, not enough fish and it's the same menu for lunch and dinner. I'd lkie to see better food.

Caitlin

Dear future self: Invest in a hair straightener before starting freshman year! One graduation photo looking like a poodle is more than enough. More importantly, remember Grandma's advice: everything in moderation. Study hard, and work to make something of yourself, but allow yourself to have some fun, too. College is a good time to explore who you are as an individual, so branch out! Say hello to everyone. Join a few clubs. Accept the invitation to cute-Physics-guy's party (but just drink the soda. You will later find out that someone has done some incredibly unhygienic things to the punch). Enjoy every moment of college, but remember that they are simply that: moments. Savor the good ones, and let the bad ones roll off of your back. When you stumble - and you will - take a night to yourself to relax with your friends Ben & Jerry, and tomorrow pick yourself back up. It will be worth the challenges in the end.

You have to be a genuinely nice person! What attracted me to SHU in the first place was how friendly and helpful everyone in campus was. Not everyone is outgoing, and not everyone is shy. But everybody there is willing to wave and smile when you pass them on campus. Additionally, if you're looking for a big campus, SHU is not for you. But, if you're like me and want to be able to run from one end of campus to the other in under seven minutes, Seton Hall might be your place!

Seton Hall is generally great - however, dealing with your advisor will make or break your experience. Many of my friends loved their advisors. I happened to be Pre-Med. The PreMed "Committee" is comprised of only one professor who is unkind and may or may not absolutely refuse to write a recommendation letter for you. There is a way around this, however. If you're dealing with someone uncooperative, stop the problem immediately and get a new advisor - there are plenty of really great faculty and staff members who would be much more willing to help.

Seton Hall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.