South Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Seton Hall University

Fixed  rate loan

Deanna

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the one advice that I would give to my past self is to not rush and take in every moment as long as possible. Back then, I was in such a hurry to grow up and be on my own in the real world making my own money and doing my own thing, but honestly, I miss having those free times where I could just relax by my locker and go on Facebook or chit chat with a couple of friends. Nowadays, after my school days are over, I go to the libary and if I see a friend, I will talk for a bit and then scurry off to do homework that is due the coming week because of all the other work I have to complete in my busy schedule. I have to admit that my high school self was way too confident in thinking that college life was going to be a breeze and it's not because it takes a lot of independency to accomplish self driven goals.

The one thing that I consider the worst aspect about my school is the parking. It is horrendous in the morning and the nightmare of trying to find a spot continues into early afternoon. Don't get me wrong...Seton Hall is putting good use of the money it is receiving from the students' tutions to good use with the making of new parking lots and other projects, but most of the time it gets to a person when he/she has to park on the side of the street with his/her classes on the other side of campus.

The one thing that I brag most about to my friends about my school is that there are always people to make friends with and do fun activities with at any given time. I transferred to Seton Hall Univeristy with a fear that I was not going to have as many friends like I did at my other school; however, I presented myself as the bubbly and outgoing person I always thought myself to be and made friends with those who joined me in the making of hilarious and meaningful memories.

Kevin

Take your time! There is no need to rush your life. It is more important to be focused and sure of where you want to go in life. That being said, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Own them and use them to your advantage to get where you want to in life. As much as your parents may be saying college needs to happen right now, tell them that you need to get your own life straight before you jump into thousands of dollars of debt. You are very creative, use that to your advantage and stop being so timid about giving input to others and yourself. Don't be afraid to stand out and think independently. You can have great work ethic if you want, but since you haven't cultivated that trait right now. What you really need is to work with what you have to become a great and kind person. Keep in mind alternate points of view and don't forget to smile!

Cost of tuition and amount of students here.

Phoebe

My classmates are diverse, opinionated, enthusiastic, bright, intelligent, ready to support and be friends with others ; they challenge me to be the very best student, servant, and citizen that I can be.

Firstly, enjoy the college process. Not many people get that far. Most importantly, prepare to teach yourself. The transition will require you to go from active listening (which is what you do in high school), to active teaching. Your professors won't walk you through the material. That's your responsibility. You need to read the book, understand the material, and be able to do all work associated. The professor is just there to guide you and answer any specific questions you might have; they will not TEACH you. For every class that you are struggling with as a high school student, put in five times more the amount of effort. If you don’t understand it on your own, go to the teacher, find a tutor, search the internet for demonstrations and explanations, and ask for help. Do not throw in the towel and give up or say “I’m just stupid”. The second you do that is the second you fail. If you give up, you will not succeed in college. Be prepared for hard and challenging material. And always remember that you can do this; if other people have succeeded, you can too! Don’t give up.

The cafeteria. Lunch and dinner are the same menu. There is no healthy choice option. It's french fries, burgers, and pasta on a regular basis. They have a Wok station, but it does not compare to the real thing. I want to see more options, such as a Mediterranian station, better salad options, and more fruit available. I doubt that the dishes are washed properly; one time my fork had orange mush on it. The school prides itself on being "a home for the mind, body, and spirit". With the food options, it is detrimental to the body.

As you become a high school senior, you must decide what to do with the rest of your life; most students opt to attend college. The most important thing piece of advice I wish I would have been given as a high school senior is this: although you think you are at the same place in your life as the others that you graduate with, you are not! Grades, yes, are an extremely important way to predict how one will handle college, but it is definitely not the most important. How you, yourself can adapt to change is a huge factor in what kind of college experience you will have. Some students believe that since their friends who are on the same academic level as they are moving off to a major university, that they too are ready to move off; however, in reality not every person is ready for such a drastic transition. There is absolutely nothing wrong with attending a junior college after graduation. If you think you may not be ready for a dramatic change in your life, junior college is the way to go for a perfect transition!

Phoebe

The community. Everyone on this campus cares about you. When you walk on campus, people will smile and say hello, even if they don't know who you are. The professors want to get to know you and be more than just instructors; tehy want to be your firends and welcome any questions that might have. If you need help figuring something out, or want to see a counselor, the doors are always open. This University does not jsut want you to excell in getting an education and career, but wants to help you develope long lasting relationships and skills.

The food. If you go on a tour, they praise the cafeteria and the options available. It's even raked as one of the best cafeterias. But I find that it's the same food choices everyday, with limited options. Yes we have a Wok-It-Up station and a Tex-Mex, but if you are in a rush and don't have time to make your own food, it's unhealthy and bland. They also serve too mich meat, not enough fish and it's the same menu for lunch and dinner. I'd lkie to see better food.

Caitlin

Dear future self: Invest in a hair straightener before starting freshman year! One graduation photo looking like a poodle is more than enough. More importantly, remember Grandma's advice: everything in moderation. Study hard, and work to make something of yourself, but allow yourself to have some fun, too. College is a good time to explore who you are as an individual, so branch out! Say hello to everyone. Join a few clubs. Accept the invitation to cute-Physics-guy's party (but just drink the soda. You will later find out that someone has done some incredibly unhygienic things to the punch). Enjoy every moment of college, but remember that they are simply that: moments. Savor the good ones, and let the bad ones roll off of your back. When you stumble - and you will - take a night to yourself to relax with your friends Ben & Jerry, and tomorrow pick yourself back up. It will be worth the challenges in the end.

You have to be a genuinely nice person! What attracted me to SHU in the first place was how friendly and helpful everyone in campus was. Not everyone is outgoing, and not everyone is shy. But everybody there is willing to wave and smile when you pass them on campus. Additionally, if you're looking for a big campus, SHU is not for you. But, if you're like me and want to be able to run from one end of campus to the other in under seven minutes, Seton Hall might be your place!

Seton Hall is generally great - however, dealing with your advisor will make or break your experience. Many of my friends loved their advisors. I happened to be Pre-Med. The PreMed "Committee" is comprised of only one professor who is unkind and may or may not absolutely refuse to write a recommendation letter for you. There is a way around this, however. If you're dealing with someone uncooperative, stop the problem immediately and get a new advisor - there are plenty of really great faculty and staff members who would be much more willing to help.

NyAsia

Seton Hall University is a highly prestigious, private catholic university which incorporates nothing but kind and intelligent students, staff and the community as a whole. The main mission of the University is to stress the importance of higher education through Catholicism and the value of faith. Although SHU is a Catholic university, it does not pressure non-catholics into practicing that faith, which is why there's a broad range of diverse religions; from Judaism, to Christianity. Going to SHU not only brings together students from all different backgrounds, but it also gives the value of a good education.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would stress the importance of time managment. Ever since I could remember, I had always been put on a time schedule to eat, sleep and do my school work, so for me to go to college and not have that structure it was overwhelming. I had to be the one to incorporate eating three meals a day around my hectic schedule, as well as getting the proper amount of sleep needed at night. Getting a valued education is important in college but keeping myself healthy in terms of eating, sleep and exercise is even more important, because without those elements there is no valued education. I would prepare myself as a high school senior on making my own schedule and being in control of my own life. Independence; thinking for ones self without the influence or control of others, and that is the hardest thing to adjust to. Its an important trait but a hard transition to prepare for in the matter of two months, which is why i would stress the importance of time management to myself as a high school senior.

Seton Hall University is an excellent school to attend, but it is by far perfect. The staff, faculty and students are all welcoming and the education that the students receive is distributed by highly intelligent specialists in their fields, but the area which the school is located is the worst thing about the school. SHU is right in the middle of a bad neighborhood but there are special transportation services available, so that nobody has to walk anywhere off campus. Although the location itself is not good, SHU still came up with a solution with the transportation services.

Monique

Other than the Whitehead School of Diplomacy, the academic programs at Seton Hall are decent at best. Students often complain about the food, the strict dorms, the bad neighborhood that Seton Hall borders, and the lack of a 'college town'. If there was one thing i could change, I would make people stay there on the weekends - it is literally a ghost town Friday afternoons through Sunday evenings. A lot of students have a lot of the pride for the school, and love attending our basketball games.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I received an academic scholarship that made it impossible to refuse go to Seton Hall. I had applied because of the Diplomacy Program.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Definitely the library. If you can work with some noise, the second floor, otherwise head up to the third or fourth floors.

The student body is very ethnically diverse, and students come from a variety of financial backgrounds, thanks to the school's generosity with scholarships (both merit and need-based). Seton Hall is a Catholic University, and almost all students are Christian to some degree, but you will not necessarily feel out of place if you don't share their faith. Despite the diversity, there is visible ethnic segregation on campus in terms of friend groups.

Justine

Due to my majors I have had experience with the Education Department and the English Department. I have found many wonderful professors in both departments who have shaped my future and had in integral part in my experience at Seton Hall. There are some people I have encountered in the school across the board who are not professional and/ or rude to students. I feel as though they could be a bit more understanding at times and speak to us like adults instead of treating us like children and only worrying about money. I spend a lot of my time on campus in the library or in the Cove. They are by far my two favorite places on campus. The library is aboslutely fabulous and has a wealth of information regarding anything you may need to write papers. There is also plenty of room to do homework and study. The Cove is wonderful! I love going there in between classes to grab a cup of coffee, chat with friends, or get some extra work done. There is a bit more noise than the library, but definitely a great environment to do homework. There is a lot of school pride and there is almost always something going on in the middle of The Green. The most frequent compaints I have heard from my peers is that the school is not worth the exhorbatant tuition fees.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

When applying to colleges I was not in love with any single school. There was no college that I had my heart set on. When a Seton Hall representative came to my school I was sold on this school escpecially becasue I got accetped on early decision. I felt that it was close enough to home that I could dorm and come home frquently. It had a program that I was extremely interested in (Sports management, but eventually changed to Education which is also a great program). I also had my two best friends going to the school as well.

Basketball is huge at Seton Hall and all of the students get very excited about going to the games. Greek life is very popular at the school as well. There is a little town three blocks away from the school that students can enjoy instead of drinking. SOPAC holds performances weekly and is also part of a beautiful movie theater. There are plenty of beautiful restaurants and cafes in the area and Short Hills shopping mall is 15 minutes away. It generally is not safe to walk late at night by yourself or in a small group. Students should plan their night time activites based on the SHUFLY schedule which is a shuttle provided by Seton Hall that will transport you to and from places within a certain mileage. Students do leave their doors open, but RAs prefer that we do not because of fire codes and such. They are very serious about that and following the rules in the dorms due to a serious fire in one of the dormitories a few years ago.

All of my professors know my name and remember me from semesters I have been in their classes. My absolute favorite classes were Shakespeare taken with Dr. Sherman, British Literature II taken with Dr. Farina, and Exceptional Child taken with Dr. Glaser. All of these classes were required for me to take given my double major in English and Education. I largely depends on the class you are in to determine class participation. I have noticed that smaller classes have more participation and all of my Education classes had a large amount of participation. Classes that are required of students generally do not have much participation. If students elected to be in that class, they generally participate. Students are not very competitive. This is not to say they aren't smart, but they are not openly competitive or mean spirited about doing well in class. I think everyone comes together in class to help each other out and build off of one another for class discussion.

The stereotype of the students at my school is that we are all from Staten Island or New Jersey, the we are all commuters, and that those of us from New Jersey are from the "hood". This is not right about the students at Seton Hall. A lot of students are from all over the country. I have made a plethora of friends that are well rounded and accomplished people. While many students are from New Jersey it does not detract from the environment or experience.

Tara

I absolutely love Seton Hall! The best part about the school is it's atmosphere and community. It truly has become my second home, and the people there have become my second family. The size is ideal; it is not too big, where you feel like you're just a fish in the ocean, and it's not too small where you know every single person. It's size allows you to have a wide array of friends. Also, the campus can be walked across within 15 minutes, so you're never too far from anything. Seton Hall also has a great reputation for its academics. I always receive positive reactions when I tell people where I attend college. They seem to be very impressed, and ask a lot of questions about it. Also, I love it's location! It's near Newark, so be careful! The town of South Orange is very quaint and beautiful! It's only 13 miles away from NYC, so I go there with friends a lot. Like I said, I love Seton Hall's atmosphere and sense of community! The atmosphere is very positive and peaceful, which helps out when you're stressed with school work. I hardly ever had a "bad" day, because it's a place where you can easily be put in a better mood. The student community is extremely close. There is not much drama like there was in high school. In actuality, most students bond because of their love for the school. Don't get me wrong, drama and fights take place, but it's rare. Also, students, for the most part, are very mature and ambitious, so there's never a lot of negativity. To me, Seton Hall is more than a university, it is a place that has allowed me to grow academically, socially, and even emotionally. I could not see myself at any other college.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I fell in love with the campus when I visited. I could really picture myself there and making it my second home.

There are usually two stereotypes associated with Seton Hall University. One, people say it's a rich Catholic school. It does get that reputation for a reason, there are a decent amount of wealthy students that attend. The rich students are, for the most part, very modest and down to earth. Does this mean that all the students have money? Of course not! Students at SHU come from all different backgrounds. Seton Hall's diversity is one of it's best attributes! I love having friends from all parts of the country and even the world! The other stereotype is that Seton Hall is a strict Catholic university. The only "strict" aspect is the guest policy in the dorms. Because it is a Catholic university, overnight guests must be the same sex. However, students always have their friends sign in their significant other. So the policy is more irritating than anything, but hey, college is about learning and meeting new people, so it shouldn't really be an issue. Also, many people think you have to be a devout Catholic to study here. That is not true at all. Students are required to take two religious courses, which cover all religions. So Catholocism is not forced down your throat. Seton Hall does have a very religious atmosphere, with the chapel and seminary on campus. However, I believe it makes the atmosphere more peaceful and comforting. I enjoy it, and I am not a practicing Catholic.

Seton Hall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.