South Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Seton Hall University

Fixed  rate loan

Justine

Due to my majors I have had experience with the Education Department and the English Department. I have found many wonderful professors in both departments who have shaped my future and had in integral part in my experience at Seton Hall. There are some people I have encountered in the school across the board who are not professional and/ or rude to students. I feel as though they could be a bit more understanding at times and speak to us like adults instead of treating us like children and only worrying about money. I spend a lot of my time on campus in the library or in the Cove. They are by far my two favorite places on campus. The library is aboslutely fabulous and has a wealth of information regarding anything you may need to write papers. There is also plenty of room to do homework and study. The Cove is wonderful! I love going there in between classes to grab a cup of coffee, chat with friends, or get some extra work done. There is a bit more noise than the library, but definitely a great environment to do homework. There is a lot of school pride and there is almost always something going on in the middle of The Green. The most frequent compaints I have heard from my peers is that the school is not worth the exhorbatant tuition fees.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

When applying to colleges I was not in love with any single school. There was no college that I had my heart set on. When a Seton Hall representative came to my school I was sold on this school escpecially becasue I got accetped on early decision. I felt that it was close enough to home that I could dorm and come home frquently. It had a program that I was extremely interested in (Sports management, but eventually changed to Education which is also a great program). I also had my two best friends going to the school as well.

Basketball is huge at Seton Hall and all of the students get very excited about going to the games. Greek life is very popular at the school as well. There is a little town three blocks away from the school that students can enjoy instead of drinking. SOPAC holds performances weekly and is also part of a beautiful movie theater. There are plenty of beautiful restaurants and cafes in the area and Short Hills shopping mall is 15 minutes away. It generally is not safe to walk late at night by yourself or in a small group. Students should plan their night time activites based on the SHUFLY schedule which is a shuttle provided by Seton Hall that will transport you to and from places within a certain mileage. Students do leave their doors open, but RAs prefer that we do not because of fire codes and such. They are very serious about that and following the rules in the dorms due to a serious fire in one of the dormitories a few years ago.

All of my professors know my name and remember me from semesters I have been in their classes. My absolute favorite classes were Shakespeare taken with Dr. Sherman, British Literature II taken with Dr. Farina, and Exceptional Child taken with Dr. Glaser. All of these classes were required for me to take given my double major in English and Education. I largely depends on the class you are in to determine class participation. I have noticed that smaller classes have more participation and all of my Education classes had a large amount of participation. Classes that are required of students generally do not have much participation. If students elected to be in that class, they generally participate. Students are not very competitive. This is not to say they aren't smart, but they are not openly competitive or mean spirited about doing well in class. I think everyone comes together in class to help each other out and build off of one another for class discussion.

The stereotype of the students at my school is that we are all from Staten Island or New Jersey, the we are all commuters, and that those of us from New Jersey are from the "hood". This is not right about the students at Seton Hall. A lot of students are from all over the country. I have made a plethora of friends that are well rounded and accomplished people. While many students are from New Jersey it does not detract from the environment or experience.

Tara

I absolutely love Seton Hall! The best part about the school is it's atmosphere and community. It truly has become my second home, and the people there have become my second family. The size is ideal; it is not too big, where you feel like you're just a fish in the ocean, and it's not too small where you know every single person. It's size allows you to have a wide array of friends. Also, the campus can be walked across within 15 minutes, so you're never too far from anything. Seton Hall also has a great reputation for its academics. I always receive positive reactions when I tell people where I attend college. They seem to be very impressed, and ask a lot of questions about it. Also, I love it's location! It's near Newark, so be careful! The town of South Orange is very quaint and beautiful! It's only 13 miles away from NYC, so I go there with friends a lot. Like I said, I love Seton Hall's atmosphere and sense of community! The atmosphere is very positive and peaceful, which helps out when you're stressed with school work. I hardly ever had a "bad" day, because it's a place where you can easily be put in a better mood. The student community is extremely close. There is not much drama like there was in high school. In actuality, most students bond because of their love for the school. Don't get me wrong, drama and fights take place, but it's rare. Also, students, for the most part, are very mature and ambitious, so there's never a lot of negativity. To me, Seton Hall is more than a university, it is a place that has allowed me to grow academically, socially, and even emotionally. I could not see myself at any other college.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I fell in love with the campus when I visited. I could really picture myself there and making it my second home.

There are usually two stereotypes associated with Seton Hall University. One, people say it's a rich Catholic school. It does get that reputation for a reason, there are a decent amount of wealthy students that attend. The rich students are, for the most part, very modest and down to earth. Does this mean that all the students have money? Of course not! Students at SHU come from all different backgrounds. Seton Hall's diversity is one of it's best attributes! I love having friends from all parts of the country and even the world! The other stereotype is that Seton Hall is a strict Catholic university. The only "strict" aspect is the guest policy in the dorms. Because it is a Catholic university, overnight guests must be the same sex. However, students always have their friends sign in their significant other. So the policy is more irritating than anything, but hey, college is about learning and meeting new people, so it shouldn't really be an issue. Also, many people think you have to be a devout Catholic to study here. That is not true at all. Students are required to take two religious courses, which cover all religions. So Catholocism is not forced down your throat. Seton Hall does have a very religious atmosphere, with the chapel and seminary on campus. However, I believe it makes the atmosphere more peaceful and comforting. I enjoy it, and I am not a practicing Catholic.

Seton Hall University is that perfect size where not everyone you meet is going to know your life history yet still small enough where there are plenty of people who care about you. While we are affiliated with South Orange, we are far from a college town. However, we are close enough to New York that one can enjoy the wonders of Time Square on any given day of the year. The best thing about Seton Hall would have to be the Green, in the center of campus. Not only does it add just the right amount of beauty to the campus, but it also adds life through the countless people that can be found relaxing there on a warm day. Although I have had many memorable experiences, one that sticks out the most is getting the opportunity to add some joy to my day through interacting with the priests. Seton Hall University is a Catholic school, but the priests, especially Father John, come out every day to greet and talk to the students. This really gives my school a "homey" feel that I never really had anywhere else.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Seton Hall University for the beauty that the campus Green has to offer. Since I love the country side as well as the city environment, Seton Hall offers the best of both worlds while not being far from home.

Academics here at Seton Hall are challenging, but in just the right format to keep the students active in their education. In my program, nursing, the professors are always on hand to help the students succeed. In fact, one of my professor stayed extra time after class to help me clarify and practice a concept that was very difficult for me to grasp. Furthermore, my program educates students for the purpose of learning. If you do not get a good grade in a certain class, you are still guaranteed to walk out knowing a variety of information that you didn't before. My favorite class is tough since I have had so many awesome classes here. However, if I had to choose, it would be my Health Assessment class. This class is geared at preparing student nurses for the hospital environment by educating them in vital signs and interacting with patients on a healthcare basis. Students here are dedicated to the point where studying is a common habit, yet there are still plenty of events offered here that can help one relax when studying gets to be a bit too much. For my program, the academic requirements are perfect since they prepare one for success in nursing. The requirement of at least a C in my classes drives the competition to go above and beyond in striving for success.

When you look at my school, it is hard to find a stereotype that would fit us. The students all come from different backgrounds and as a result, we do not form the stereotypical view of most college campuses. On any given night one can experience culture with one of the international clubs, become involved with school events through organizations such as the Student Activities Board and Student Government Association, or become actively involved in the community either through Campus Ministry or one of the numerous Greek organizations available on campus.

Matthew

If you let it, Seton Hall can be a good place for you. Sure there are a lot of problems, but there is also a lot to be appreciated. There are the usual complains, “The food sucks”, “the tuition is high,” and yea there is no denying certain problems, but there are a lot of things the people who go here take for granted. I have heard stories from friends who ended up in nice colleges, with beautiful campuses, with the nearest city 45 minutes away. Yes Seton Hall has a campus which is limited to say the least, the school virtually shuts down at 1, the cafeteria and all forcing you to order Chinese food way too often, yes if you walk around outside the gates at night you might get robbed and yes there are stupid guest policies you need to get them signed into the dorms, but Seton Hall is in no way the worst place in the world. Although the campus is not the greatest environment in the world it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. There are plenty of bars in South Orange and there is a train station real close to the school, making for a quick ride to New York. You’re first year you will really enjoy meeting people and the college experience. After that you will want more and the areas surrounding Seton Hall really do have a lot to offer.

I can tell you about my experience. I didn’t pledge a fraternity, I commuted my freshman year. Pledging is a difficult process on its own and even though I wanted to I knew I could not commute back and forth while pledging- it was just too much. But somehow I ended up hanging out with a group of Filipinos. I am white and had never hung out with Asians before, but we all commuted and it worked out well. Eventually they got me to join their organization FLASH- Filipino League at Seton Hall. They were all older than me for the most part and we would party together quite often. Even though I very much regretted commuting my freshman year (I do suggest dorming for the first one). The people I ended up meeting my first year here had a positive impact on my life that went beyond my greatest expectations.

Seton Hall is very diverse. There are a good portion of commuters and many of the people are from Jersey, but you can be assured that if you go to Seton Hall you will meet people from environments that are very different from your own.

Seton Hall has a good reputation academically. I came into school here as a political science major and before my junior year have switched my major quite a few times. I was going to go to grad school for Occupational Therapy, but decided to instead pursue a graduate degree in Accounting (I will do that for one year here after my undergrad) And as someone who has changed my major many times I can tell you what I have experienced. Basically I have found that everything very much varies. Some majors, such as nursing are notoriously difficult and others are not known to be bad at all. There are teachers, who you will have unbelievable respect for and there are those who you will hate and curse in between cups of red bull as you cram for whatever unspeakably horrible exam you know will be coming the next day. Overall the teaching here is good and there are internships available through the career center. Even though school learning can never totally prepare you for whatever career path you are pursuing, Seton Hall makes an honest effort.

I don’t think you can stereotype students at Seton Hall in the same way you would in high schools. People here do tend to form clicks and they do tend to hang out with their core group of friends, mostly because people here tend to become closest with those who they see more of. There are kids from the radio station and certain fraternities; there are roommates and people from certain ethnic clubs. And yea people do say things sometimes about people from certain clubs or majors. For instance anytime nursing majors get together you know you’re going to be confused, and anytime diplomacy majors get together you hope they’re not going to be arguing about breaking news in country you’ve never heard of. Even though people do say things about certain groups and majors, I have found that in the end you end up defining yourself.

There are so many students on campus that it is hard to even figure out where to begin. Even though Seton Hall University is a private catholic university, there are still a wide variety of students who attend from all different walks of life. There are quite a few different religious groups welcomed on campus, among which are Muslims, Jews and Hindi's to name a few. There are even atheists who find a home at SHU! Even though SHU is a private catholic university the campus itself is very welcoming to all kinds of people. For example, there is a club on campus to promote the LGBT movement, called Allies. SHU offers a place for students to learn about other culture, explore your own, and discover new possibilities and truths about oneself through interaction between the different groups who attend the university.

The professors at Seton Hall University are really friendly and smart, and because the class size is so small it is very easy to develop a relationship with the professors on campus. The professors always make time for his/her students and offer excellent help and advice in regards to present classwork/situations and future graduate/professional opportunities. The professors want to see his/her students excel and work to help them. The students, likewise, are willing to put a decent amount of time, effort and hard work into his/her coursework to make sure that he/she excels in their major. I would not say that the students are so super competitive that they work 24/7, but the students who do attend SHU understand the importance of hard work and the benefits of a great education which is why they will work as hard as they can without overexerting him/herself.

Amber

Seton Hall University is a small, friendly campus where students can get a good education and have many oppertunities to get involved.

Looking back at who I used to be as a high school senior, I see a girl who breezed through high school and most of her life. I would go back and tell her that college will not be that easy, and to start practicing time management and money management now, because procrastination and over spending will be detrimental to her during freshman year. I would tell her not to lose focus, that it might seem though but it will be all worth it once she gets herself together sophomore year. And most importantly, I will tell her to always strive for more; to stop settling for an “okay” life and become involved on campus because that will make all the difference in her life.

A person who is looking for big classes, a big campus, and a place that is bustling with weekend activity should avoid Seton Hall.

Mirela

Friendly, warm, home-like enviroment full of people encouraging your sucess.

Friendly, warm, home-like enviroment full of people encouraging your sucess.

The first thing I would tell myself is, stick with your first choice. Although Seton Hall was originally my first choice, I decided upon another college due to financial reasons. In the end, those plans fell through and in a frenzy I contacted Seton Hall. Likewise, I initially chose a major that did not suite me and was miserable the first semester. If I could do it all over again from the beginning, I would tell myself to listen to my heart and not allow for others opinions to influence me. After the college life began, I should have realized that this was the ideal time to begin making friends not continuing in a relationship. I regret being in a relationship that in the end did not work out and isolating myself from social events because of another indivdual. College should be a time when relationships are built with friends, not with significant others, there is plenty of time for that in the future. I've made mistakes, I've learned from my mistakes, yet I will continue to make them and keep learning. However, I do wish that someone did tell me these very things as a senior.

The fact that I have some of the most amazing professors, who are always available when I need the help. How much the school helped me when my first choice for college fell through and I was able to enroll at Seton Hall only a few days before the semester started, that is something I will never forget. I truly appreciate the education I recieve and its comforting to know I am supported by those around me.

Jena

Academics is a very strong point of Seton Hall University. There are many different programs and schools that you can study within the University itself such as the College of Nursing, College of Arts and Sciences, and the Stillman School of Business ( and these are just a few). Besides lecture classes, class size is usually rather small and professors tend to get to know their students and call them by name. The faculty and professors at Seton Hall are very personable and approachable. They are always willing to help a student when in need and even set up office hours for when a student needs advisement. When you walk into the library, there is never a time when it is not filled with students studying. It is open till 1am and during finals week 24 hours. Many students like to use the group study rooms with other students in their class because it can be very helpful. I am an Elementary/Special Education and Speech Language Pathology Major. This program at SHU is great because it gives great preparation for actually becoming a teacher. Starting sophmore year, every semester I had a field placement in which I was placed in different school settings and was given the chance to observe a real classroom for 72 hours per semester. The fall of my senior year I completed my student teaching experience and had the opportunity of shadowing a teacher and then eventually taking over her role in the classroom. This gave me great a great perspective on all of the roles and responsibilities needed to become a teacher.

I have not noticed a sterotype of students at Seton Hall. Everyone has their own place. There are so many clubs and organizations that are available to join that are geared toward different interests. When coming to Seton Hall, students are guaranteed to find a group that they like and a place to fit in.

Kate

Choosing Seton Hall was the best choice I've ever made. Not only do I love the location, but I've met people that will be in my life forever and I have made memories that will last a lifetime. That said, your experience at Seton Hall is what you make of it. It is not a "college town", so you have to make your own fun. There is always a party going on, which is great for freshmen and sophomores to get to know other peoples and usually Greek organizations and sport teams. After sophomore year, the school starts to feel too small, so students look for social activities elsewhere. The local bar is great and has recently had some major competition from the other restaurants/bars in the town which keeps partying costs low. Also- the location is prime: New York city is a 30 minute train ride away, and Atlantic City is always fun for birthdays. There aren't parties on campus due to strict housing rules (Fire Safety rules set after the Boland Hall Fire) which makes students have to look elsewhere. Other than the lack of parties on campus, the campus offers many places to socialize or study during the day. The Cove is a great place to go for both since it offers food and turns into a sports bar at night (sans alcohol) during games. The library is great as well, it gets quieter as you go to the higher floors. The hours suck sometimes and it gets crowded during finals but the staff is always there to help students and alum along with members of the surrounding neighborhood. The town of South Orange doesn't really support the students but you can definitely feel pride when athletics is at a peak. One of the perks of going to SHU is their laptop program. Pro- getting a new laptop every two years that I would have had to use as a graduation gift. Con- crap out every 1.5 years

I've never heard stereotypes of people at my school but I'd assume if there were any, it'd be similar to ones from hs

Even though people might complain about bad stuff that happens at SHU once and a while, I wouldn't have changed my experience for anything. I have learned so much both academically and personally and I loved everything about it.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Since it's a catholic school, there is no sex health at the clinic or too many unbiased teaching on gay rights issues, abortions, etc.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Easy classes are the most popular. As a jr/senior, many people take yoga or scuba. Younger kids have to take their basic classes before you're able to take the fun ones

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Best- always something to do (get a fake ID though) Worst- same people have the same parties every weekend and the cops always bust parties

Rush Alpha Phi!! hahaha but seriously- a lot of freshmen go home on the weekends so it's going to seem pretty abandoned for the first few weeks/months. Also- get an internship early because they're pretty important later on. Likewise- become friends with your teachers and the people that work in the caf because they'll give you free food. Also- be prepared to spend a lot of money on replacement IDs and when you lock yourself out of the room

What's the dating scene like?

I had the same boyfriend freshman and sophomore year and i met him in class. Junior year I had a guy too and as a senior I'm dating one of my best friends. I never really went on single dates though but I'm assuming it isn't hard to find one if you want it that bad...

What's the Greek scene like?

Even though the Greek scene is small, it is extremely popular and competitive. There are 4 sororities and more frats. Basically, if you're in a sorority, people are going to know who you are and you're able to go to some of the best parties (xmas parties, formals, semis, mixers, date parties) that no one else can get into

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

In the library, it gets quieter as you go up. There's a lounge in the business building on the 4th floor which I usually go to. There's also the Cove which serves food and has a ton of booths and couches you can catch up on homework at. There's also the Living Room where a lot of commuters hang out but it can get kind of loud

Tell us about your professors.

Professors are pretty chill. I love the adjuncts though since they definitely teach things that you will use in the real world. TAs are great because they help you with any of your problems in class

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports are pretty big. Freshmen and Sophomores usually go to every single game because they're a lot of fun. Our 2010-2011 baseball team won the Big East Tournament which is pretty cool.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food and dining hall was what swayed me into going to SHU. By sophomore year though, I was completely tired of the same food over and over. I should have gotten more creative though since 75% of the food can be customized.

What are your classes like?

My classes are only an hour and 15 minutes unless it's a night class. Fundamental classes are extremely easy but the CORE classes (which are required) completely suck. Definitely a waste of time and don't help you with anything in any other classes. For business classes, you don't really start to learn anything about your major until junior year which is kind of late.

SHU is a pretty small school. There is a green in the middle of campus with the majority of the dorms and class buildings surrounding it. The gym is huge and the parking deck is about 4 or 5 stories even though parking completely sucks.

I've never heard any stereotype about students at SHU. Everyone has a place and and it's easy to find a great group of friends.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

It's a small school extremely close to NYC. It's near a bad neighborhood but South Orange is always busy with students and residents. Even though it's small, its really easy to make close friends and there's always something to do.

The Involvement Fair is my favorite tradition. Every single class or group or frat/sorority has a table on the green and all the students show up to learn more about what is offered to the students. Most of the time there is food or another type of entertainment.

A unique thing about our campus is our Career Center. Most campuses have one, but the employees there work extremely hard to help the students and are very active in the student's academic lives. It's obvious that they really do care about their students,even after they graduate.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are pretty average. Freshman year I lived in one of the biggest dorms available to freshman (it included two rooms and bathtub). Sophomore year I lived in one of the less popular dorm buildings but the room could have fit at least three people. Junior and Senior year I lived off campus within half a mile of campus.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Greek Week is one of the most memorable weeks/days of the year. Each Greek organization comes out and competes in different activities (Talent Show, Gong Show, Sports, etc) and the whole school comes out to support it.

When you step off campus what do you see?

South Orange is an extremely cute town and the NJTranist station is a 10 minute walk. Just don't go right out of the front gate unless you want to walk into downtown Newark

Why did you decide to go to this school?

My family lives in Philadelphia and I wanted to be close enough to them where I could visit for vacations yet I would still feel some independence. Also, it's extremely close to New York City.

Student activities are a huge part of campus life. I for one joined a sorority my freshman year because of everything it could offer me. I have made some of the closest friends I could imagine, and I would not have enjoyed my experience at SHU as much if I hadn't made the choice to go Greek.Many of my friends are involved with student government as well, one of my best friends being the President of the Senior Class of 2012. Due to fire codes, students are not allowed to keep their dorm room dorms wedged open, but each dorm is very friendly and open with each other. Athletics are very hot and cold, due to how good the team is doing or if there is nothing else going on that night off campus. Since I live off campus, I usually spend my free time on the couch with my 6 best friends. We have been friends since the first semester of freshman year and again, I couldn't imagine my time at SHU without them. Fraternities are important to guys due to the small size of the school and boys not wanting randoms at their parties. On the other hand, while it isn't mandatory for a girl to be in a sorority to have a social life, it definitely helps. If there isn't a party going on, it is very likely to find yourself just messing around on campus with your friends in each other's dorm rooms.

I have never met so many different people in such a confined space. There are the jocks, stoners, sorority girls, frat stars, and everything else imaginable in between. Many times everyone gets along, but if there's a problem, it either gets addressed or the groups do not interact. This sort of thing usually happens between fraternities and athletic teams though. In the cafeteria, it is pretty obvious about the segregation between cliques since everyone basically has a designated area. Most students dress to impress for the first few weeks of class. After that, students are mainly seen wearing sweats and hoodies. Uggs are prevalent on campus and guys are always in athletic shoes. Unless someone is going to an interview or presenting a project, no one really dresses up. Politically, the campus is very neutral. As a Catholic University, there is no discussion of safe sex or LGBT groups but there are student alliances which try and address these problems without getting in trouble with the school. There is not one political choice for the students, seeing that almost everyone comes from a different area and background, but the school is predominantly conservative in any debate that it faces.

Since SHU is such a small school, it is easy to have personal relationships with your professors. Many times, the professors have favorites due to personal relationships, but as long as you do your work, teachers won't hold anything against you. Likewise with advisers- my relationship with my adviser is probably the strongest one I've made on campus, especially since they are the ones guiding students about what classes to take and what interesting events on campus are coming up. I'm in the Business school with a concentration in Marketing. I came into school with a Business Undecided major and as a senior, I wish I could go back and change my major completely, probably to psychology or another social science. Not because of the Marketing program, but the lack of advertising major available. The business classes are tailored to real world experiences which definitely help when students graduate.

Seton Hall has a very diverse student body. There is a place for everyone, it just takes a little bit of time to find where. The student body consists of people from all different races, religions, and geographical areas. Thus said, there are many groups on campus that dedicate themselves to different organizations and interests. Once you find your niche, you basically stick with them. Jocks with jocks, frat kids with frat kids, stoners with stoners. No one is labeled a "geek" since everyone is very adamant about keeping good grades no matter what social circle they belong too. Many times, your group of friends that you click with the most are those that live on your floor or your roommate from freshman year. Over time though, students grow as individuals and find themselves being friends with people from other groups due to the small size of the University. There is no "reigning" social circle, everyone seems to exist together comfortably without any sort of social awkwardness.

Unassumingly simplistic in many ways though offers individual amusement if one searches for it.

Why pick second best when you know you can succeed and not be bored at an institute that might not agree with your family's plan? Follow your first instincts, they are usually correct. Don't make the mistake of getting overwhelmed and letting people tell you that you can't do it.

An individual attempting to find themselves in a small pond; those who wish to flourish without exerting much effort.

Seton Hall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.