Seton Hall University Top Questions

Kylie Lan

Dedicated students and some great programs, like Diplomacy and nursing.

Monique

Other than the Whitehead School of Diplomacy, the academic programs at Seton Hall are decent at best. Students often complain about the food, the strict dorms, the bad neighborhood that Seton Hall borders, and the lack of a 'college town'. If there was one thing i could change, I would make people stay there on the weekends - it is literally a ghost town Friday afternoons through Sunday evenings. A lot of students have a lot of the pride for the school, and love attending our basketball games.

Justine

Due to my majors I have had experience with the Education Department and the English Department. I have found many wonderful professors in both departments who have shaped my future and had in integral part in my experience at Seton Hall. There are some people I have encountered in the school across the board who are not professional and/ or rude to students. I feel as though they could be a bit more understanding at times and speak to us like adults instead of treating us like children and only worrying about money. I spend a lot of my time on campus in the library or in the Cove. They are by far my two favorite places on campus. The library is aboslutely fabulous and has a wealth of information regarding anything you may need to write papers. There is also plenty of room to do homework and study. The Cove is wonderful! I love going there in between classes to grab a cup of coffee, chat with friends, or get some extra work done. There is a bit more noise than the library, but definitely a great environment to do homework. There is a lot of school pride and there is almost always something going on in the middle of The Green. The most frequent compaints I have heard from my peers is that the school is not worth the exhorbatant tuition fees.

I absolutely love Seton Hall! The best part about the school is it's atmosphere and community. It truly has become my second home, and the people there have become my second family. The size is ideal; it is not too big, where you feel like you're just a fish in the ocean, and it's not too small where you know every single person. It's size allows you to have a wide array of friends. Also, the campus can be walked across within 15 minutes, so you're never too far from anything. Seton Hall also has a great reputation for its academics. I always receive positive reactions when I tell people where I attend college. They seem to be very impressed, and ask a lot of questions about it. Also, I love it's location! It's near Newark, so be careful! The town of South Orange is very quaint and beautiful! It's only 13 miles away from NYC, so I go there with friends a lot. Like I said, I love Seton Hall's atmosphere and sense of community! The atmosphere is very positive and peaceful, which helps out when you're stressed with school work. I hardly ever had a "bad" day, because it's a place where you can easily be put in a better mood. The student community is extremely close. There is not much drama like there was in high school. In actuality, most students bond because of their love for the school. Don't get me wrong, drama and fights take place, but it's rare. Also, students, for the most part, are very mature and ambitious, so there's never a lot of negativity. To me, Seton Hall is more than a university, it is a place that has allowed me to grow academically, socially, and even emotionally. I could not see myself at any other college.

If you let it, Seton Hall can be a good place for you. Sure there are a lot of problems, but there is also a lot to be appreciated. There are the usual complains, “The food sucks”, “the tuition is high,” and yea there is no denying certain problems, but there are a lot of things the people who go here take for granted. I have heard stories from friends who ended up in nice colleges, with beautiful campuses, with the nearest city 45 minutes away. Yes Seton Hall has a campus which is limited to say the least, the school virtually shuts down at 1, the cafeteria and all forcing you to order Chinese food way too often, yes if you walk around outside the gates at night you might get robbed and yes there are stupid guest policies you need to get them signed into the dorms, but Seton Hall is in no way the worst place in the world. Although the campus is not the greatest environment in the world it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. There are plenty of bars in South Orange and there is a train station real close to the school, making for a quick ride to New York. You’re first year you will really enjoy meeting people and the college experience. After that you will want more and the areas surrounding Seton Hall really do have a lot to offer.

Seton Hall University is that perfect size where not everyone you meet is going to know your life history yet still small enough where there are plenty of people who care about you. While we are affiliated with South Orange, we are far from a college town. However, we are close enough to New York that one can enjoy the wonders of Time Square on any given day of the year. The best thing about Seton Hall would have to be the Green, in the center of campus. Not only does it add just the right amount of beauty to the campus, but it also adds life through the countless people that can be found relaxing there on a warm day. Although I have had many memorable experiences, one that sticks out the most is getting the opportunity to add some joy to my day through interacting with the priests. Seton Hall University is a Catholic school, but the priests, especially Father John, come out every day to greet and talk to the students. This really gives my school a "homey" feel that I never really had anywhere else.

Aubrey

Overall, Seton Hall is a great school with a variety of options for all types of students. If you are invested in academics this school is a great fit! There are TONS of academic national honor societies and academic clubs to join. There are free tutors everywhere you turn and the professors are extremely flexible with office hours. As far as the town goes, there are a few good places to eat as well as your generic starbucks and dunkin' donuts. Frequent student complaints of the past have been: we need bigger/better activities on campus. This year they have started to do so. There have been great guest speakers, roller skating, ice skating, tree lighting, and we are going to have a concert for our spring fling. (Another plus) At Seton Hall, you can always count on receiving tons of free food, and SHU gear. As far as school pride goes, it is very high at the basketball games and it is a great time! When I tell people I go to Seton Hall they say, "Wow, that is a great school!"

Aubrey

It is a very small school, makes me feel like I'm still in high school. But it is an institution that will prepare you for the best jobs out there. If you like to party and want that full college experience do not come here! Think of state schools. Not enough school pride, no football team. People do not support the basketball (women's) nor the soccer team.. It's sad..

Annamarie

I love that the campus is very compact because in the morning when you have an 8:30am class, it only takes 2 minutes to get to class. The library is not far from anything, so there is no excuse for not studying. The science building has an observatory (with my own eyes I've seen Jupiter and a few of its moons, Neptune, and the moon)!!! This school is known nationally. I've told people in India that I go to Seton Hall University, and they respond, "Oh Yeah, the one in New Jersey. That's such a great school!" This school has a great Dplomacy school. The most frequent complaints are the food on the weekends. For some reason, the food is just terrible. Half the cafeteria is closed on the weekends. But otherwise, the food is awesome because of the variety and if you don't like anything you can always "make your own" sandwich or pasta. There is even a "wok station."

Eileen

I really like Seton Hall. It is a great school with great professors and its proximity to New York City enables the students to get amazing internships.Not only is it great for work experience but it gives the students endless things to do on the weekends.Since the school is small, it is easy to find which organizations you fit into helps give a genuine community feeling. The campus is a good size so walking to classes is so easy and takes no time.

bob

.

Kenneth

I could go on about how great this school is, but there are two things that stick out the most. One are the professors. The Professors are absolutely amazing here and they will support you and help you at just about anything! They are experts at their fields and they are all active in their fields so if something new comes along in the field you are studying you will probably be the first to know. The other thing that comes to mind is the community. We are such a welcoming community and I can personally say that I have never felt more welcomed then I do at Seton Hall

Choosing Seton Hall was the best choice I've ever made. Not only do I love the location, but I've met people that will be in my life forever and I have made memories that will last a lifetime. That said, your experience at Seton Hall is what you make of it. It is not a "college town", so you have to make your own fun. There is always a party going on, which is great for freshmen and sophomores to get to know other peoples and usually Greek organizations and sport teams. After sophomore year, the school starts to feel too small, so students look for social activities elsewhere. The local bar is great and has recently had some major competition from the other restaurants/bars in the town which keeps partying costs low. Also- the location is prime: New York city is a 30 minute train ride away, and Atlantic City is always fun for birthdays. There aren't parties on campus due to strict housing rules (Fire Safety rules set after the Boland Hall Fire) which makes students have to look elsewhere. Other than the lack of parties on campus, the campus offers many places to socialize or study during the day. The Cove is a great place to go for both since it offers food and turns into a sports bar at night (sans alcohol) during games. The library is great as well, it gets quieter as you go to the higher floors. The hours suck sometimes and it gets crowded during finals but the staff is always there to help students and alum along with members of the surrounding neighborhood. The town of South Orange doesn't really support the students but you can definitely feel pride when athletics is at a peak. One of the perks of going to SHU is their laptop program. Pro- getting a new laptop every two years that I would have had to use as a graduation gift. Con- crap out every 1.5 years

One thing that I really appreciate about Seton Hall is the challenging and interesting classes I have taken. Many of the professors who teach here have traveled all over the world and provide an incomparable classroom experience. If there was one thing I could change about Seton Hall it would be for the town of South Orange to embrace the students a little more. Seton Hall does have some really great organizations and teams to become involved in such as Greek life, sports both team and intramural, theater, and student council. Seton Hall definitely has a lot of school pride, our basketball team participates in the Big East. Going to watch our school at the prudential center is certainly exciting. I myself participate in a sorority on campus and I can honestly say it has been the most rewarding experience of my life. The friends that I have made here and the experience I have gained will shape how I look at the world indefinitely.

Russell

If your looking for a school that has good amount of students (5 thousand) and do not want to walk really far for classes, then Seton Hall's campus is perfect. Its big enough that it does not feel like high school and small enough that gives you that close-knit feel. One thing that I would like to change is the students going home on the weekends. Many New Jersey students go home on the weekends which is pretty lame. However there are still a good amount of students on campus and out of state students always stay. South Orange is a college town with really good food. ( go to the Gaslight Brewery). I have to be honest there isn't much school pride even though Seton Hall is Division One. Pretty Good Basketball team.

Ashlee

The best thing about Seton Hall is the location! We are located within 15 miles of NYC, it's only a short train ride away. It makes weekends great and the internship and job opportunities are overwhelming.

Raymond

Seton Hall is a Catholic University which was founded on the premise of Servant Leadership. I feel that the best thing about SHU is that it is a Medium sized campus and a very tight nit community. It is small enough so that you can walk across campus and see 3 or 4 friends on your commute to class, but big enough so that you meet different people everyday. Its also a D1 school which makes the sporting events very exciting to attend. The Big Eat is a very competitive conference, and our Men's Basketball games are great to watch. They have their moments of fame, and even though they aren't the best team in the nation, they are playing with the best too.

Seton Hall is a medium sized university but we're definitely small. You can walk from one side of campus to the other in 15 minutes. And you almost always see at least one person you know while walking across campus although you'll usually see about 10 people you know. I like the feel of the campus, it's laid back and open. The faculty is close with their students and always willing to help. You can make the most of any situation, but I've never had to do that at Seton Hall.

Seton Hall is an ok school. There are to many restrictions in my perspective. I wish I had have known more when I came on my visit than I know now because I would have given my decision a second thought. I absolutely hate the cafeteria food. I have traveled to many other schools for my sport and sometimes we eat in the cafeteria's and their selections as well as the cafeteria are absolutely fabulous. When people hear Seton Hall they assume that its a party school which is absolutely false because there is not much around for students to do here. Everything is so far and I am not really a fan of South Orange so a lot of the students have to travel to NY just for some entertainment. Seton Hall administration is ok. Professors I have no clue where they find them at but there are a select few who I have taken who are very very good and you really like and appreciate especially being that a lot of the professors here cant teach or either don't care but expect you to learn or teach yourself. The most complaints at this school are the food and the professors in my opinion. I don't even think I eat in the caf anymore two years of that and I am through with it. I actually lost weight not eating in the caf for some reason it adds weight onto the students.

Jody

The best thing about Seton Hall is that it is small and it allows you to shine!!! One thing I would change is expand the university down to South Orange. The size of our school is just right. Colleg Town but also not so much. Administration is amazing you just have to find the right people. Controversy on campus was probably the guy who shot himself then walked on campus.Yeah there is school pride not alot but some. Nothing to unusual. Always remember just the feeling of being part of this community and knowing the people around you. Complaints -not sure