Seton Hall University Top Questions

I would tell myself to focus on grades and apply to a variety of schools to give myself options of what school I would prefer to attend and how much debt I would incur. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to attend a community college if my options for a four year school were not as I imagined because a good GPA at a community college can get you a better scholarship for a four year college and limiting student loans should be one of the biggest factors in the decision you make as an undergrad especially if you desire to attend a grad school. Finally I would tell myself to not be influenced by your high school friends, although that may be difficult, you will make new friends in college and high school is a short period of your life. The school you attend for your undergraduate degree can have a large impact on the rest of your life so you should make that decision based on factors that concern you not your friends, even if it seems like a great idea to try and go to college with your high school buddies.

Learn to studyl As a senior in high school I was a great student but my work ethic was questionable, so If I could go back I would instill a work ethic in myself. Because if I want to be able to pay off my student loans then I am going to need a great job and that can only happen if I excel here.

Just relax and have fun! Jump on every opportunity you have and don't let people bring you down. Make new, real friends. Join campus activities. Stay in your dorm!! Lighten up. Always, always pay attention in class. Take good notes. Don't skip class. Try your very best to get straight A's because you CAN do it if you really put your mind to it. Have fun. Do things that frighten you and don't be nervous about the unknown future ahead. Enjoy living at the beach while you still can!!

As a homeschooled student, I was actually involved in a full time job when most of my peers were seniors. At the time, I thought I was doing the right thing by getting ahead of the game in the work-world. I realize now that academic pursuits would have likely been the better choice. In short, I'd say to myself "just start school."

The saying "nothing worth having comes easy" is an important saying to remember when going to college. Nursing school is very hard and there are alot of sacrifices to give up to make time for studying, so when stress is brought on to know there is always support from friends and family. Make sure to study hard, but to balance time with friends too because time management is a great value to have. There is no need to be perfect because everyone makes mistakes, so always keep a positive attitude and to try better the next time. Exams cannot get A's by themselves, so make sure to study ahead of time and not procrastniate so you are not cramming the night before an exam. Setting goals helps you become self-motivated and helps with time management of your busy schedule. College education is what you make out of it and how much effort you put in. The more effort you put in, the better outcome and future you will have.

Noteisha

If I could go back in time to talk to my old self, I would tell myself to decide what I want to do after college because basketball may not be around forever. I would encourange myself to make great lifelong friends and network. Being able to get to know my professors will be very important. To take class a little more serious and work a little harder on the court. I would encourage myself to make friends outside of my team. I would tell myself to join as many clubs and organizations as I can that wont interfere with basketball becuase that will be great practice and networking for post college. I also would tell myself to find an internship (or two) that I will enjoy doing and meet and network with people I can keep in touch with in the long run. I would also tell myself to grow up, it gets real.

jamie

I would advise myself to shoot for my dreams but to be more realistic. My dad suddenly passed away as i was applying to college. At the same time my mom had cancer. My decisions about college were made on a very distracted premise. I didnt listen to my mom or anyone for that matter. The truth is, listen to your parents! They are usually right. It is totally worth going to a state school/more afforable college than to spend money at a prestigious college when you don't even know what you're yet passionate about! Take your time because despite the fact that everyone is trying to rush you into making all these big decisions, you have a lot of it. In your undergrad there are a lot of people who don't know what they want. Let that be the time to explore things you wouldnt normally. I know many people who have switched majors, including me. You can always transfer schools or further your education at a higher ranked university in a graduate program where it really matters nowadays. Follow your heart and take your time when deciding. Its your life, no one elses.

ahmed

I know how intimidating it is knowing you have a huge milestone ahead of you to overcome . At first it seems like you’re entering a new world with no familiar faces around, but trust me that feeling never lasts. Never doubt yourself and never doubt the power of believing in yourself. Take advantage of all the opportunities at your disposal, stay active, but don’t get in over your head there only so much time you can spare. Everyone has their weaknesses but the key is to take those weakness, improve on them, and make them your strengths. Don’t be afraid to fail; failure is the first step on the right track. But you have to learn from your mistakes; if you’re on the right tack but not progressing the train will hit you. The next step, in the words of Socrates, is to admit that you don’t know anything and your thirst for knowledge will lead you to the fountain of success. Most importantly, you are you, don’t let anything or anyone change that and always remember the words of Sean McCabe : “You will never influence the world by trying to be like it.”

Sabino

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to not mess around, study hard, listen to financial aid recruters, dont procastinate, and apply for a lot of scholarship!!!

Deanna

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the one advice that I would give to my past self is to not rush and take in every moment as long as possible. Back then, I was in such a hurry to grow up and be on my own in the real world making my own money and doing my own thing, but honestly, I miss having those free times where I could just relax by my locker and go on Facebook or chit chat with a couple of friends. Nowadays, after my school days are over, I go to the libary and if I see a friend, I will talk for a bit and then scurry off to do homework that is due the coming week because of all the other work I have to complete in my busy schedule. I have to admit that my high school self was way too confident in thinking that college life was going to be a breeze and it's not because it takes a lot of independency to accomplish self driven goals.

Take your time! There is no need to rush your life. It is more important to be focused and sure of where you want to go in life. That being said, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Own them and use them to your advantage to get where you want to in life. As much as your parents may be saying college needs to happen right now, tell them that you need to get your own life straight before you jump into thousands of dollars of debt. You are very creative, use that to your advantage and stop being so timid about giving input to others and yourself. Don't be afraid to stand out and think independently. You can have great work ethic if you want, but since you haven't cultivated that trait right now. What you really need is to work with what you have to become a great and kind person. Keep in mind alternate points of view and don't forget to smile!

Phoebe

Firstly, enjoy the college process. Not many people get that far. Most importantly, prepare to teach yourself. The transition will require you to go from active listening (which is what you do in high school), to active teaching. Your professors won't walk you through the material. That's your responsibility. You need to read the book, understand the material, and be able to do all work associated. The professor is just there to guide you and answer any specific questions you might have; they will not TEACH you. For every class that you are struggling with as a high school student, put in five times more the amount of effort. If you don’t understand it on your own, go to the teacher, find a tutor, search the internet for demonstrations and explanations, and ask for help. Do not throw in the towel and give up or say “I’m just stupid”. The second you do that is the second you fail. If you give up, you will not succeed in college. Be prepared for hard and challenging material. And always remember that you can do this; if other people have succeeded, you can too! Don’t give up.

As you become a high school senior, you must decide what to do with the rest of your life; most students opt to attend college. The most important thing piece of advice I wish I would have been given as a high school senior is this: although you think you are at the same place in your life as the others that you graduate with, you are not! Grades, yes, are an extremely important way to predict how one will handle college, but it is definitely not the most important. How you, yourself can adapt to change is a huge factor in what kind of college experience you will have. Some students believe that since their friends who are on the same academic level as they are moving off to a major university, that they too are ready to move off; however, in reality not every person is ready for such a drastic transition. There is absolutely nothing wrong with attending a junior college after graduation. If you think you may not be ready for a dramatic change in your life, junior college is the way to go for a perfect transition!

Dear future self: Invest in a hair straightener before starting freshman year! One graduation photo looking like a poodle is more than enough. More importantly, remember Grandma's advice: everything in moderation. Study hard, and work to make something of yourself, but allow yourself to have some fun, too. College is a good time to explore who you are as an individual, so branch out! Say hello to everyone. Join a few clubs. Accept the invitation to cute-Physics-guy's party (but just drink the soda. You will later find out that someone has done some incredibly unhygienic things to the punch). Enjoy every moment of college, but remember that they are simply that: moments. Savor the good ones, and let the bad ones roll off of your back. When you stumble - and you will - take a night to yourself to relax with your friends Ben & Jerry, and tomorrow pick yourself back up. It will be worth the challenges in the end.

NyAsia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would stress the importance of time managment. Ever since I could remember, I had always been put on a time schedule to eat, sleep and do my school work, so for me to go to college and not have that structure it was overwhelming. I had to be the one to incorporate eating three meals a day around my hectic schedule, as well as getting the proper amount of sleep needed at night. Getting a valued education is important in college but keeping myself healthy in terms of eating, sleep and exercise is even more important, because without those elements there is no valued education. I would prepare myself as a high school senior on making my own schedule and being in control of my own life. Independence; thinking for ones self without the influence or control of others, and that is the hardest thing to adjust to. Its an important trait but a hard transition to prepare for in the matter of two months, which is why i would stress the importance of time management to myself as a high school senior.

Looking back at who I used to be as a high school senior, I see a girl who breezed through high school and most of her life. I would go back and tell her that college will not be that easy, and to start practicing time management and money management now, because procrastination and over spending will be detrimental to her during freshman year. I would tell her not to lose focus, that it might seem though but it will be all worth it once she gets herself together sophomore year. And most importantly, I will tell her to always strive for more; to stop settling for an “okay” life and become involved on campus because that will make all the difference in her life.

Mirela

The first thing I would tell myself is, stick with your first choice. Although Seton Hall was originally my first choice, I decided upon another college due to financial reasons. In the end, those plans fell through and in a frenzy I contacted Seton Hall. Likewise, I initially chose a major that did not suite me and was miserable the first semester. If I could do it all over again from the beginning, I would tell myself to listen to my heart and not allow for others opinions to influence me. After the college life began, I should have realized that this was the ideal time to begin making friends not continuing in a relationship. I regret being in a relationship that in the end did not work out and isolating myself from social events because of another indivdual. College should be a time when relationships are built with friends, not with significant others, there is plenty of time for that in the future. I've made mistakes, I've learned from my mistakes, yet I will continue to make them and keep learning. However, I do wish that someone did tell me these very things as a senior.

Rush Alpha Phi!! hahaha but seriously- a lot of freshmen go home on the weekends so it's going to seem pretty abandoned for the first few weeks/months. Also- get an internship early because they're pretty important later on. Likewise- become friends with your teachers and the people that work in the caf because they'll give you free food. Also- be prepared to spend a lot of money on replacement IDs and when you lock yourself out of the room

Why pick second best when you know you can succeed and not be bored at an institute that might not agree with your family's plan? Follow your first instincts, they are usually correct. Don't make the mistake of getting overwhelmed and letting people tell you that you can't do it.

If I were to go back in time to talk to myself as high school senior there would be lots that I would inform myself about college. I would make sure I applied for many my scholarships and awards because as college student you need to be able to financially support yourself sometimes. I would tell myself not to stress so much on making friends or worrying about fitting in because unlike high school there are not any cliques or "popular" people that ruled the school. In college you can focus on being yourself and people there will accept you for being you. I would tell myself to focus more on the education perspective of college, rather than the social perspective because the school and your family are financially invested in you to succeed and graduate college. I would tell myself to relax a little bit and do not stress too much in the first year of college, just focus on transitioning smoothly into college and getting the groove and feel of college.

JoAnna

Don’t Listen to Your Parents Nod once, nod twice and nod a third time. This means your parents think you are listening, understanding and will do whatever they tell you. I was one of those kids, I respected my parents so much and believed everything they had to say so much that I went and did what they told me to do which was, “work hard and you will go far.” Currently my house is going into foreclosure, my credit is not so good because of it, I am unemployed, I have no higher education, I have no money, and I am almost 40 years old. Okay, I would have taken their advice but I would not have thought of on such a board scheme of life. I would have narrowed it down and been more methodical and not have just nodded and said yes ma and pa. Telling my high school self to not listen to her parents, she would have loved that. Telling a teenager not to obey their parents, heaven! Just think if a teenager was allowed to look around and take stock of the real world without being stifled by their parents. What to do?

Syed

Most people assume that college life is all about taking some major courses, graduate and then get a job. But this is not the case. College not only prepares you for your career but it also teaches you so many life skills that you will need in your life. So to maximize this college experience, one needs to get some preparation too. The most important thing that one needs to be successful in college is to be a good listener. We all know about the importance reading and SAT words or importance of note-taking or those extra-curricular activities to be a better speaker. All these skills are important but listening is like the backbone of those skills. It helps you to take better notes, understand lecture and talk intelligently with your fellow classmates and professors. So, to develop this skill, one needs to be friendly and patient. And for academic purposes, doing independent research about any subject matter is very important as it helps one to understand different subjects from any intelligent conversation or lecture. So, I would advice someone to develop his/her listening skills by making connection with different people and doing independent research.

Milvi

Prioritize and focus. That's the advice I would give to my high school self. I used to be a defiant and idealistic girl, always wanting to volunteer more than I could afford. As a result, my GPA dropped to a 3.8, and while that was still a pretty decent grade, it wasn't good enough for the likes of Georgetown or Princeton. I realized that to get the scholarships and admittance to attend quality universities, I should have focused more on my grades rather than my extended volunteer list. After all, one of the priorities every university looks at is the GPA. Another factor that inhibited my chances of getting into an ivy league school is the fact that I chose quantity over quality. I applied to 15 universities during my senior year, stretching myself too thin when writing multiple essays for each university. I lacked focus. What I should have done was apply for 5 schools, each ranging from my dream school to safety net. If I had prioritized my actions and focused on them, I believe I would have gotten into my dream university.

rebecca

The best advice that a soon-to-be college student can recieve is "follow your heart." As corny as it sounds, it is important to go into college with a clear idea of who you are and what you are passionate about. Do not let other people's expectations for you cloud your vision. These are the only four years of your life that you will have to choose your future, so make sure that you choose to do whatever makes you happy. If you are doing what you love, you will be successful.

I would tell myself to take education more seriously. I was a good student in high school, but it came easily to me. I never invested much time in studying or signing up for honors courses. I was a good student, however if I would have put forth more effort I could have been an excellent student. Also, I would tell myself not to wait to go to college. I waited two years after I graduated to attend college because I thought I could not attend and take care of my baby. I know now it was just an excuse, and if I would have went as soon as I graduated high school, I would have already earned my degree. Looking back now I see there were many decisions I could have made to make my life easier, but I think I am doing an excellent job even with making mistakes.

Shemanda

Don't be afraid to go out and meet new people. College is the time for networking, so get out there and join clubs. In college there more opportunities to do fun things so try not to get too distracted from the fact that you went to college for an education.

Jake

As a high school senior, I wouldn't have change much. Senior year was my best year acedemicly and I didn't do much fooling around. The one thing that I would say to myself as a high school senior is that I should have applied for scholarships starting in high school. The cost of college is very overwhelming and by not starting to fill out scholarships in high school, I have put myself in a hole to be in a huge amount of debt after graduating. As for the transition to college itself, I feel that I made a great move from high school to college and that there isn't much that I would do differently. The transition was very smooth and I feel that I prepared myself well in high school for what was to come in college.

I enjoy goingtomy school because i've grown academically and socially as a person. The academics at Seton Hall is quite excellent especially for the science, nursing, business and diplomacy departments. The university is so culturally diverse that you get to learn about different kinds of people and expand your horizon on various ideas about life. I also have madefriendships that I do know will probably last me a lifetime. I have already made contacts for the future. I really have gained alot and love this school.

My college experience has displayed the quick changes that occur in business and has dramatically improved my tolerance and ability to work with other people. It has also been valuable in networking with individuals who know where to find the key, that belongs to the door on the road to success. It has motivated me to try harder to acheive my goals and showed me where to look to find the rocks through the fog to know how to avoid many pitfalls in business.

Earlene

I can not imagine myself not attending college. I want to be able to speak the language of business, one that my mother only surfaced on despite her achievements, as she did not attend college. With my business degree, I am certain that I will be able to become fluent in the language that will allow me to connect to others who also strive to speak it. One day, I hope that Juana & Gloria’s Restaurant, my mother's self-owned business, will be able to expand its doors beyond the corner where it lies. That is my goal, and as my mother has proven to me, it will require a lot of sacrifice, a lot of attention, and a lot of love, all of which I know I will only be able to accomplish through an extensive dedication to my collegiate years, not only academically, but through a persistent network of amazing people. In my time at school, I am fortunate to have learned a lot, experienced plenty, and grown individually, all of which only continues day by day.

Alivia

Recently, I have become PTK president. This is a big accomplishment for me. If I had not gone to classes, tried my best, and got great grades, I could not have been invited to Phi Theta Kappa. If I was never invited, I would have never been offered such a prestige position! I am grateful and honored. Being a part of PTK has helped me overcome fear of speaking in front of large groups, and it is helping me become a strong leader. My college experience has been hands-on. In science labs, in speech courses, and in my other classes that require team work and creativity outbursts. Besides the classes, I have attended get-togethers and worked in community service projects. I have gained tremendous amounts of experience by working these events. I have gained experience in team work, leadership, fellowship, and I have learned things such as the importance of community service, teamwork, being involved, and valuing other's opinions. I am a growing business leader and I will take advantage of each day I attend college, club events, PTK, and other community involvement.

I have gotten a lot of different things so far from my college experience so far. The first things is I have started to learn about being independent in a way I never understood while still living with my parents with this also comes a new understanding of responsibilities. I also have been learning so much more from the education front as well as being a part of a small community where helping others that have not been as Fortunate as I the local area.

Jalisa

My college experience has been a good one, in the sense that my mistakes and the people that have come into my life have opened my eyes. I see the world for what it is and I have also become closer to God, throughout my journey. I never would have thought I would have found who I was as a person and the person I tend to be. Though I am not a fan of my school, I am thankful for what it has shown me and allowed me to see.

Leticia

My college experience has been an exciting experience. I attend two classes that are essential for my intended career path. I've learned to apply writing techniques in my writing class, and have better practice in my math studies.

melissa

I think that I've learned a lot so far. Many of the classes have very good dicussions that make you think and somethimes even change your mind on issues. I love that its so diverse I have gotten to know all types of differnet people. I've only been at SHU for a short time but I hope to get even more out of my experience in the next few years.

Rhiannon

As a Creative Writing major I have learned useful methods of writing to further my skills. I have been able to enter my writing into the Writing Center so that it can be proof-read and I have been given useful tips on how to write not only fiction but essays, too. One on one sessions with professors and those in the Writing center is the best possible way for me to learn how to write properly.

Alejandra

I've learned to be a lot more resposible with the thing I do. I have also learned that everything I do has a consequence wheter it be good or bad. I am now a lot more independent and have realized it takes hard work to move forward in life and I feel I am doing so. I feel college is valuable to attend because, I grew up with not much to show but, I know with time things I am learning now will pay off. School has always been something I've enjoyed, and with all the opportunites such as volunteer work or community service done by on-campus organizations I feel I am helping out more with my community.

I have realized that Seton Hall is not for me and that it is too expensive to not be in love with the school. I have met some interesting people and was exposed to different types of people. I also realized that the "big named" schools are not necessarily better than the other institutions.

Angelica

During my college experience, i have learned that college is way different than high school. In high school, many people are part of there own clicks, there is very few culture and not much friendlyness, while in college everyone if friendly, everyone is all over the place and there is much more culture. In college, everybody is on their own, there isint man people to lend you a hand or to walk you through your experience while in high school, one has there own counslers and mentours that help one make their own choice. College is a taste of the real world, something most of us are not ready for.

alysha

My experience at Seton Hall has been a interesting one, I have personally met many great people and have made a ton of memories already and I am only in my second year of school. But of course being from a single parent home the financial aspect has been very hard. The school is pretty expensive in order to attend here along with dorming expenses, and financial aid as much as they want to help there is not enough aid for everyone, so it can become stressful if it is something that you need to worry about. But I would not trade my experience that I have had here for anything, because I am constantly learning about myself and others so I can say that has been valuable enough for me to want to attend here.

shamika

I have gotten that you should always go above and beyond. I have also learned that you should never let go of your dreams. Stick to them and strive to achieve them even if others are against you. It has been valuable to me because I aspire to own my own business and I will need that drive to be successful.

I have benefited greatly from my college experience. I have learned more then I could have imagined and see myself being successful in the future because of this school. I have a good social life and have quite a few life long friends.

I have gained a lot of independence from being at college and learned to be more responsible for myself. In highschool I was always able to slide by without studying. However, once I got to college I realized I had to be more accountable for myself and study the materials given to me. I also learned to be more outgoing. Many of my classes require participation, in the past I would have just sat in class and let my classmates speak. Now, I speak up and voice my opinions in class. I have become much more well rounded since attending college and hope to be able to attend graduate school to obtain my doctorate.

Freshman year of college, I was stepping into a world of uncertainty with no idea of what I wanted to pursue, absolutely no independency, and incredibly poor organizational skills. When I began my first year my mentality and opinion of college was that it was a waste of time and money, and that I had what it took to start a career without years of school. Fortunately my perception drastically changed, as well as, many aspects of my own personality. College has given me a since of pride, motivation for making goals, and an incredibly positive outlook on life. In my experience college isn?t solely about a grade; it is a crucial step in preparation for a fulfilling career, a balanced life, and the drive to keep pushing through every obstacle without giving up. If it wasn?t for the time that I have spent taking courses so far I perhaps would have never been exposed to the subjects that create passion in my life such as psychology, philosophy, and a majority of the humanities courses.

Evelina

Out of my college experience, I have gotten out a lot. I learned to take my education seriously and that it is not a joke. Friends come and go; you make a lot of them. Some will remain friends and some will stop talking to you. You truly realize who your true friends are. It is said that college is the greatest years of your life - and it truly is. You learn so much in a matter of time and the time just flies by. I believe it is valuable to attend Seton Hall because it is a Catholic University. If it was not so much religion focused, the price would most likely be reasonable.

Aa'Ishah-Muneerah

I got my degree and I learned how to overcome in the face of bigotry.

Ariel

College itself is a paradigm shift for everyone. It takes one out of his or her comfort zone and causes one to adapt to new living styles and habits. I am from Baltimore, Maryland and although quite comfortable at home and fearful of the unknown as any normal person would be, I knew that I had to go to school away from home for my own personal growth. Living and attending school at home is naturally more comfortable. I depended on my parents for many things and many unknown answers. I even took on their political, religious, and world views. By moving away it allowed me to experience life for myself and gain my own opinions and views. Seton Hall University is a very diverse campus in every sense. I have met many differnt types of people and without judgment have been able to gain an understanding of people from all types of backgrounds whether ethnic, socioecnomic, and/or creed. College has taught me to be more of an individual, to think for myself, and to see situations in a new light.

If I went nback to highschool to talk to my senior self, I would tell her that making the decision about wehich college to attend was not that difficult. Inside she a;lready knew which one she wanted to go. Plus, I would tell her that the major she chose was a great field because she has met a lot of professors that will inspire her. I will tell her not to be anxious about leaving her friends because she will stay in touch with a lot of them and make so many more at school; Being from another state makes it so much more interesing! I would tell her not to worry about missing her family or her boyfriend because the commute to the school is not that much and sometimes she can go to see him on the weekend in the city. Lastly, I would tell her not to stress out about the classes because although they are a bit difficult, high school has taught her well and fully prepared her for the start of her college career.

sidra

What does every high school student want to hear? The ideal answer: Yes! Of course! You are completely correct! I know that is what I wanted to hear. I thought I knew it all! Growing up, every person realizes the mistakes they made and sometimes regret not listening to the people that tried to talk some sense into them. However, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to keep doing exactly what I am doing. The process of hearing and accepting other people's advice helped me grow as a person and realize that there is more to know know compared to all that I claim to already know. The only change I would want to instill in myself is to learn that time managment really is important as everyone says it is. I would also tell myself to keep listening to other people's advice, but still do what my heart desires, after all, that is how I ended up completing this survey!

Everyone wishes they could travel back in time. If I had this opportunity I would return to my senior year in high school and tell myself what I now know about college. The first piece of advice I would tell myself would be to get involved. Join Greek life, a sport, a club, anything to give yourself the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. When you surround yourself with people who have similar interests as you, you will find that you will have more fun and enjoy college so much more. Also while it is important to have fun and meet new people, stay focused. You are there to get an education and do well in your classes. Learn to manage your time wisely, this way you can excel in your classes as well as develop new, everylasting friendships.