Seton Hall University

« See more reviews of Seton Hall University

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the one advice that I would give to my past self is to not rush and take in every moment as long as possible. Back then, I was in such a hurry to grow up and be on my own in the real world making my own money and doing my own thing, but honestly, I miss having those free times where I could just relax by my locker and go on Facebook or chit chat with a couple of friends. Nowadays, after my school days are over, I go to the libary and if I see a friend, I will talk for a bit and then scurry off to do homework that is due the coming week because of all the other work I have to complete in my busy schedule. I have to admit that my high school self was way too confident in thinking that college life was going to be a breeze and it's not because it takes a lot of independency to accomplish self driven goals.

I can not imagine myself not attending college. I want to be able to speak the language of business, one that my mother only surfaced on despite her achievements, as she did not attend college. With my business degree, I am certain that I will be able to become fluent in the language that will allow me to connect to others who also strive to speak it. One day, I hope that Juana & Gloria’s Restaurant, my mother's self-owned business, will be able to expand its doors beyond the corner where it lies. That is my goal, and as my mother has proven to me, it will require a lot of sacrifice, a lot of attention, and a lot of love, all of which I know I will only be able to accomplish through an extensive dedication to my collegiate years, not only academically, but through a persistent network of amazing people. In my time at school, I am fortunate to have learned a lot, experienced plenty, and grown individually, all of which only continues day by day.

Dear future self: Invest in a hair straightener before starting freshman year! One graduation photo looking like a poodle is more than enough. More importantly, remember Grandma's advice: everything in moderation. Study hard, and work to make something of yourself, but allow yourself to have some fun, too. College is a good time to explore who you are as an individual, so branch out! Say hello to everyone. Join a few clubs. Accept the invitation to cute-Physics-guy's party (but just drink the soda. You will later find out that someone has done some incredibly unhygienic things to the punch). Enjoy every moment of college, but remember that they are simply that: moments. Savor the good ones, and let the bad ones roll off of your back. When you stumble - and you will - take a night to yourself to relax with your friends Ben & Jerry, and tomorrow pick yourself back up. It will be worth the challenges in the end.

What does every high school student want to hear? The ideal answer: Yes! Of course! You are completely correct! I know that is what I wanted to hear. I thought I knew it all! Growing up, every person realizes the mistakes they made and sometimes regret not listening to the people that tried to talk some sense into them. However, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to keep doing exactly what I am doing. The process of hearing and accepting other people's advice helped me grow as a person and realize that there is more to know know compared to all that I claim to already know. The only change I would want to instill in myself is to learn that time managment really is important as everyone says it is. I would also tell myself to keep listening to other people's advice, but still do what my heart desires, after all, that is how I ended up completing this survey!

The saying "nothing worth having comes easy" is an important saying to remember when going to college. Nursing school is very hard and there are alot of sacrifices to give up to make time for studying, so when stress is brought on to know there is always support from friends and family. Make sure to study hard, but to balance time with friends too because time management is a great value to have. There is no need to be perfect because everyone makes mistakes, so always keep a positive attitude and to try better the next time. Exams cannot get A's by themselves, so make sure to study ahead of time and not procrastniate so you are not cramming the night before an exam. Setting goals helps you become self-motivated and helps with time management of your busy schedule. College education is what you make out of it and how much effort you put in. The more effort you put in, the better outcome and future you will have.

It's about you, not the place! Campuses that might look great on paper do not come to life unless you visit them; you have to go imagine yourself at a place where you're going to spend four years. In many ways, you move away from home for four years, so you have to make sure you feel at home in your second home. I think the most important consideration is the college environment, more so even than the college itself-- nobody likes to be trapped in a campus in the middle of nowhere. Also, in order to make the best of your time there, try to make sure you're not too attached to home and have a social life. It's important to discover who you are and the kinds of people with whom you'd like to be surrounded. It provides you with understanding, maturity, and a great deal of unforgettable experiences. However, don't forget to study! Time management is not as heard as it sounds, and it saves you a great deal of stress.

If I went nback to highschool to talk to my senior self, I would tell her that making the decision about wehich college to attend was not that difficult. Inside she a;lready knew which one she wanted to go. Plus, I would tell her that the major she chose was a great field because she has met a lot of professors that will inspire her. I will tell her not to be anxious about leaving her friends because she will stay in touch with a lot of them and make so many more at school; Being from another state makes it so much more interesing! I would tell her not to worry about missing her family or her boyfriend because the commute to the school is not that much and sometimes she can go to see him on the weekend in the city. Lastly, I would tell her not to stress out about the classes because although they are a bit difficult, high school has taught her well and fully prepared her for the start of her college career.

Before making a decision about a college, students truly need to examine themselves and their goals. It is important to be realistic because although college is supposed to fun and different, it is preparing you for the rest of your life. I made the mistake of not reflecting intrinsically on personal values, and for this I feel that I made the wrong choice in schools. Though the school was not the right "fit" for me, I tried to make the most of my college experience. Try new things that you cannot do at home. Put yourself out there, leave your comfort zone, because if you do, you will find out more about yourself and make lasting memories. Those that don't branch out never learn quite as much as those who think inside the box. The first year of college is an adventure, and you are more likely to be successful and happy if you get involved and make the most of every moment and opportunity.

Parents: Your child is going off to a school in which they will love to attend. You may want them to be near year but let them chose where they want to go. Students: Go to every college you applied, stay over a night and see what is going on without all the "neat" stuff they have planned out during the day. You then will see if you enjoyed yourself or it was just nothing. Most colleges love to glam up just to show off. Also never limit yourself on how many places you are interested in because they might be one that fits for you. One more thing, you may leave your parents house and think you do not need or need to listen to them but a call would be nice to check on them because hearing you progessing makes them feel proud and be behind you every step of the way you will make. With friends its always wise to know them first rather than blabbing your whole business to them.

For myself, finding the perfect school was taking in all the qualities of my ideal school, then finding the schools that best fit my perfect school. I chose Seton Hall because it was the perfect size with a nice school spirit that was located in a smaller town just outside of my favorite city. I believe that everyone should make the most out of their college experience because not everyone has the opportunity to attend college. Making the most really just means doing the things you love to do, while still maintaining a good GPA. I love theater arts, along with a few sports; so I joined the theater council and played intermural soccer and volleyball. I had an amazing first year and met so many great people that I know I will continue being friends with for a very long time. Make the most of the opportunities you are given, because some people are not as lucky.