Seton Hall University

« See more reviews of Seton Hall University

For students, two words: Get Involved. Surprisingly enough, having loads of free time my freshman year hindered me instead of helping me. I found myself procrastinating instead of being productive. This year I vow to volunteer and join another club. Stay on top of your assignments and realize that your friends will still be there when you're done with that paper. Also, group study sessions are seriously fun and helpful. To parents: Don't worry if your kid doesn't call you every night or come home every weekend. Believe me, they'll need your help/miss you a lot. Every kid adjusts in different ways, so standing back, being supportive and keeping an open mind is essential. Also, remind your kid that you're proud of them even if they're struggling. Knowing that someone believes in you is a great motivation. Oh yeah and back to the students: call home, they miss you.

If I could go back in time and share what I have experienced in college to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself college is not easy but it has its perks too. I would share that eventhough you go to a school where you might not know anyone you will make friendsand have fun. Adjusting to college is not easy either. You are responsible for yourself, no one will baby you like mom did. The best advice I could give is be yourself dont let college change wo you are, make college the best years of your life nit the worst. Try to stay away from the wrong crowd because they just lead to problems you don't want or cant handle(Trust me!). Make sure to keep up with your school work, always think work first fun later. Through this advice college can be a real rewarding experince, you make many friends in the process; college is where you find yourself.

Dear Marissa, Stop worrying and just enjoy the process. I know you don't want to leave high school but trust me, college really isn't that bad. You will see that despite all the anxiety you turn out to be just fine. You are able to succeed academically and keep mom and dad proud so don't fret. As for softball, it all works out. You make the team and it in turn becomes your family. Softball continues to provide you with the support you need to make it through. The game is the one thing in your life which stays the same despite everything else changing, including the people you play it with. But don't worry, they're great and you become closer to them than you could ever imagine. Oh and one more thing, make sure you talk during the first few months, it's a shame to let that wit go to waste for four months; people didn't know what they were missing.

Take your time! There is no need to rush your life. It is more important to be focused and sure of where you want to go in life. That being said, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Own them and use them to your advantage to get where you want to in life. As much as your parents may be saying college needs to happen right now, tell them that you need to get your own life straight before you jump into thousands of dollars of debt. You are very creative, use that to your advantage and stop being so timid about giving input to others and yourself. Don't be afraid to stand out and think independently. You can have great work ethic if you want, but since you haven't cultivated that trait right now. What you really need is to work with what you have to become a great and kind person. Keep in mind alternate points of view and don't forget to smile!

To parents: I know I've gotten the whole "well we're paying for it" speech before, but remember, your kids are the ones that actually have to go there and be happy. If you send your child to a school where he or she isn't happy, the odds of success are going to be more silm, and he/she will probably struggle. Try to come to an agreement with your kid about where you and he/she are both comfortable. To students: This goes along with with the happiness thing, because it is genuinely important. Why go to a school where you don't feel like you're going to be happy? But remember, the point of college is to get ahead in life by getting your degree, and the academic aspect of school is very important, and you need to treat that seriously. Look for a place where you can find that balance for being happy and being able to work hard.

If I could go back in time to talk to my old self, I would tell myself to decide what I want to do after college because basketball may not be around forever. I would encourange myself to make great lifelong friends and network. Being able to get to know my professors will be very important. To take class a little more serious and work a little harder on the court. I would encourage myself to make friends outside of my team. I would tell myself to join as many clubs and organizations as I can that wont interfere with basketball becuase that will be great practice and networking for post college. I also would tell myself to find an internship (or two) that I will enjoy doing and meet and network with people I can keep in touch with in the long run. I would also tell myself to grow up, it gets real.

i feel that in order to fulfill your college experience one must step out of their comfort that is for students and their parents. I feel that people should take more advantage of the local community colleges. I went to a community college to obtain my associates degree which has set me up for advancement while attending Seton Hall. I wish that more students would take advantage of the great two year colleges we have in the U.S. When most students first come out of highschool they don't know why they are going or what they are doing. I feel that at a Community college or two year college level students can discover themselves and what they want to do for a career. I am thankful everyday for the path that I have chosen and wish the best of luck to college students all over the world.

Firstly, I would tell people to CALM DOWN! College is supposed to be the best 4 years of your life, and it's not worth the amount of stress that parents and students go through. Do your best in high school and then apply only to colleges you would actually attend. Don't do a top choice, because if you don't get in you'll feel resentment towards everything else. Visit the schools that you might attend and then let your heart guide you the rest of the way. You'll know when you've stepped on to the campus you belong to, that's how I felt when I toured Seton Hall. Secondly, once you're at school, do everything 100%. Join clubs, work hard academically and sure, party too! If you are dedicated and enthusiastic about your education and your future, only good things will come to you!

Everyone wishes they could travel back in time. If I had this opportunity I would return to my senior year in high school and tell myself what I now know about college. The first piece of advice I would tell myself would be to get involved. Join Greek life, a sport, a club, anything to give yourself the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. When you surround yourself with people who have similar interests as you, you will find that you will have more fun and enjoy college so much more. Also while it is important to have fun and meet new people, stay focused. You are there to get an education and do well in your classes. Learn to manage your time wisely, this way you can excel in your classes as well as develop new, everylasting friendships.

I would tell myself to take education more seriously. I was a good student in high school, but it came easily to me. I never invested much time in studying or signing up for honors courses. I was a good student, however if I would have put forth more effort I could have been an excellent student. Also, I would tell myself not to wait to go to college. I waited two years after I graduated to attend college because I thought I could not attend and take care of my baby. I know now it was just an excuse, and if I would have went as soon as I graduated high school, I would have already earned my degree. Looking back now I see there were many decisions I could have made to make my life easier, but I think I am doing an excellent job even with making mistakes.