Seton Hall University

« See more reviews of Seton Hall University

If I could go back in time to discuss how to adapt to college life, the first thing I would mention would be time management. During the first week of school, try to get all your semester projects out of the way because you may not have the time later on in the semester. Also, try to find a good balance between sleep and school work. Not enough sleep will make you pay less attention in class, and not doing your school work to the best of your ability will affect your GPA. Spend a lot of time studying, even if you know what you are doing and seek out extra help from your professors and the campus tutors. One thing I learned in my University Life class was to be proactive. No matter how bad things get, do your best to make them work and achieve your goals.

I would say to myself to take college seriously. Even though you are going to have a bunch of free time on your hands, it doesn't mean that you can watch 8hours of Spongebob and party all night while leaving your school work for the morning. This is not a joke and its very expenisive. There are people that would kill to be in my shoes so I should take advantage of my oppportunities. I would tell myself to work hard but also to learn to balance my social life. This should be the best four years of my life and i should make the most of it while not slacking off in my school work. I would tell myself to make my parents proud because they never got the opportunity to come to a university so this is not only important to me but to them too.

As a high school senior, I wouldn't have change much. Senior year was my best year acedemicly and I didn't do much fooling around. The one thing that I would say to myself as a high school senior is that I should have applied for scholarships starting in high school. The cost of college is very overwhelming and by not starting to fill out scholarships in high school, I have put myself in a hole to be in a huge amount of debt after graduating. As for the transition to college itself, I feel that I made a great move from high school to college and that there isn't much that I would do differently. The transition was very smooth and I feel that I prepared myself well in high school for what was to come in college.

Don't put so much emphasis on grades. The last 18 years of your life have been one big grade. Go to college and enjoy yourself. That doesn't mean not work hard; it just means to understand that there are more important things in life. The next four years are going to the best four years of your life so cherish them. You're not going to remember the grade you got in Business Policy thirty years from now, but you will remember all the good times you had with your friends. Always keep things in perspective. Remember this, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did so ake some chances and never look to the past because you won't be able to change it. Most importantly, have fun.

My experience at Seton Hall has been a interesting one, I have personally met many great people and have made a ton of memories already and I am only in my second year of school. But of course being from a single parent home the financial aspect has been very hard. The school is pretty expensive in order to attend here along with dorming expenses, and financial aid as much as they want to help there is not enough aid for everyone, so it can become stressful if it is something that you need to worry about. But I would not trade my experience that I have had here for anything, because I am constantly learning about myself and others so I can say that has been valuable enough for me to want to attend here.

Make sure that you make the choice for yourself! Don't let anyone pressure you into making the choice for you. Your choice of college will affect you, not only for the next 2-4 years, but for the rest of your life! Make sure the college has the kind of programs you're looking for, because, in most cases, choosing a college is the first step in choosing a career path that you will have to stick with for the rest of your adult life. Choose a major that fits you, and don't only think about the money. If you choose a major you like, you will be able to make money doing whatever it is that you choose. Happiness is much more important! Good luck with your search, and have a happy future!

Looking back at who I used to be as a high school senior, I see a girl who breezed through high school and most of her life. I would go back and tell her that college will not be that easy, and to start practicing time management and money management now, because procrastination and over spending will be detrimental to her during freshman year. I would tell her not to lose focus, that it might seem though but it will be all worth it once she gets herself together sophomore year. And most importantly, I will tell her to always strive for more; to stop settling for an “okay” life and become involved on campus because that will make all the difference in her life.

I would say that finding the right college is about the level of comfort and acceptance you feel when around campus. If you talk to a faculty member and you feel as though you would love to take a class with them, then it is the right school. If you are struck by the aesthetic beauty of the campus around you, then it is the right school. If you can invision yourself walking around campus, laughin wholeheartedly with new friends, then it is the right school. But above all else, if you are met by a student body and faculty that seem to accept one and other as a family and treat each other as equals, then it is, without a doubt, the right school.

For parents, I would tell you to let your son or daughter explore their options and not to push them towards a school that you may prefer more. Every college has something unique to offer and it all depends on what a studen is specifically looking for. Students should know that it is not always about where your friends are going or how big of a party school it may be. College is all about getting a fresh start and making new adjustments to your life. Whether you will be a commuter or a resident on campus, college will change the way you live your life. New students need to be open to the change and embrace whatever comes their way.

Make sure that you feel at home wherever you decide to attend. You will most likely be spending the next four years there so make sure it is a place where you can see yourself or your son or daughter flourising. You know when it is the right fit, just like you know when it is not. Do not be afraid to ask questions when touring or visiting the campus. Talk to the students to see what the feel or the campus is like! Best way to make the most of your college experience: GET INVOLVED and take LEADERSHIP!!! Everyone I know who does not like their school is not involved on campus and does not given themselves the opportunity to grow.