Seton Hall University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Seton Hall University

Nkili

Seton Hall truly is a home away from home. The professors and their support are truly the reason I've had such success as a student. They go above and beyond to help attain internships and other opportunities, and they truly work with you so that you understand the material and can get the best grade possible. I've had professors recommend me for on-campus jobs and off-campus internships at places like the Smithsonian and to do graduate level research at some of the nation's top schools. Aside from the people (which is really the best part about Seton Hall) the atmosphere of the campus is why I chose Seton Hall during my senior year of high school. The school spirit during the holidays and basketball season is out of this world, and we have so many activities for our students in an around town and NYC. I remember in my first semester I had gone to see the Radio City Rockettes and a Broadway show for $5 each (including transportation). Overall, Seton Hall truly is a wonderful place to grow as a student and as a person. Even though I'm not Catholic, I've never felt pressured to convert and the "religious" classes that we do have to take aren't even wholly about religion, which is something that I was worried about. Go Pirates!

Evando

Seton Hall is a great institution to attend and I recommend the school to anyone that wants an environment that is not too big that it overwhelms them or not too small that it becomes dull. Overall, if you have the finance taken care of, you should have a blast as I would have had if my financial aid was there.

S

I think it has a good campus life with a close community. The food is not great but they are definitely working on improving it. There is only a Dunkin and Jersey Mikes on campus, so there is not much diversity in terms of food. There are people interested in art, political activism, plays, student government and greek life. There is a huge sports scene since our school has D1 recreational sports programs (the men's basketball team). Overall, I would say it is a safe and small campus.

KoL

Seton Hall University is great. If you want to focus on academics, they have plenty of opportunities for you to get involved and build up your skills.

It is too expensive for what they give us. The computers are not good, the buildings are very outdated, they are over charging by a lot. I personally would not recommend the school for the price. Since my father died I filled out a special circumstance form to have my scholarship reconsidered to get more money and was denied. Overall the quality of the school is not worth it. Also there is not enough security since it is in such a dangerous town. Parking permits are too expensive as well.

William

Seton Hall is a school with a lot of potential, and while it does care about student life, it does not care about the individual students unless those students are athletes, then youre treated as a GOD. Its as if they draw you in, make you pay a large sum, and then if you dont play basketball youre nothing but a number.

Danaika F

It's a good school. The food is not that great and the extracurricular activity could be better but the staff is very friendly. There are many restaurants around the campus who gives discounts to Seton Hall students and deliver food to the campus. There are activities for all kinds of people.

Venessa

Great academic school

Kara

It is a nice University. It is small and fitting. Some people aren't friendly but others are. You have to look for the resources yourself or else you will not be provided with the resources. The college is very expensive but can be affordable with the help of scholarships and loans.

Lesley

I wish that seton hall was more diverse and promoted more cultures. In addition I wish there was more activities on campus because I feel that the school is so small it's hard to get involved and get to know everyone. In addition I wish that there was more academic help, I have met so amazing people here but I wish it was more.

Amber

Going into Seton Hall, I wasn't exactly excited, but through meeting friends and being involved in clubs I've come to love the school's environment. The only thing that I had to get used to is the white majority, another thing I knew going in but with which I was surprised. Many of the student here came from high schools that weren't diverse, so they have a different mindset then I have about diversity and being aware of others. Still I like how on campus that I never feel scared to talk about racial issues. There are some things that aren't perfect, but overall I'm happy with my choice.

Sean

Its a small school which allows for more interpersonal connections between student. You can form a bond with a group of people and be able to see them most of the time during the day and at night. Students are relaxed and tend to look out for the well-being of others. There is a party scene but it is provided by police to ensure safe drinking.

Kylie

Seton Hall University has been a home away from home and an incredible opportunity for me. The professors that I've had have been amazing and I have learned so much from them. The ones that I have are incredibly intelligent, passionate, and they genuinely care about their students. One of the great features of Seton Hall is the career center. The career counselors have been able to help me every step of the way to get career advice and assemble internship applications. The convenience of living on campus has been really nice and the campus feels very safe. I really enjoy that it is a bigger university that has a compact campus and a community feel.

Tiffani

Seton Hall University is a great university for academics. Faculty are usually very helpful with whatever someone might need. Some advisers are not completely there to help a student. Some do not give enough advice to students. But there is many tutoring opportunities for difficult classes. As a biology major, it has been helpful to find tutors that are students and understandable. Student life on Seton Hall is what you make of it. It can be very boring on the weekends because many students either dorm but go home for the weekends or are commuters. Some weekends there is events going on but not very often. Greek life is not very big on campus especially Multi-Cultural fraternities and sororities. Sadly, it seems as though the university does not support Multi-Cultural Greeks as much as other schools might. Food on campus is only really good when there is an open house where many families come to see the school. On the weekends the food is not always the best. Most students go out to eat on the weekends. In certain aspects Seton Hall is not the greatest but I wanted to have a school based on success in academics and that is what Seton Hall University gives.

Overall my experience at Seton Hall University has been a great one. The whole place has a very cozy feel to it with its small campus and small classes. It's great because you get to really know you're professors as well as make great friends. I believe Seton Hall has been so far a great experience for me as I've learned many new studying skills and have learned how to prioritize better with the help of advisors.

Like anything there were good and bad things. First with the good. Many of my professors were available to talk not only about the workload but about future careers, the stress of school and what it's really like in your given field. Many of them genuinely enjoyed teaching and wanted to help their students better themselves. The degree I entered offered numerous intern and volunteer experiences in order to better understand what part of the field you wanted to enter after graduation or if you wanted to stay in the field at all. That's all the good I can think of for now, onto the bad! While many of the professors are good, there are equally as many that aren't. Some are past the their prime (and by past I mean teaching how to use the projector every class and falling asleep during class), uninterested in helping students (have been told I would be judged harder than the other students due to having a class with that prof), or just generally not caring, showing up late on their phone and teaching maybe a 1/4 of the material. Once you graduate you're on your own. Despite what the career center and professors say there is little to no help in preparing for jobs other than reviewing your resume. Professors have pretty much all but lost their connections in the real world (there are a few exceptions) so can't help by sending you towards someone they may know, and no one you interview with will know them. My department rarely published any more and weren't really interested in doing their own research or applying for grants. There is little to no student life on campus beyond the few events that are put on after most students had left for the day. While I appreciate the good professors I had and the knowledge I got from working in their labs, I do regret attending SHU. There are universities that will give you the same or better education for less money and with staff who is interested in furthering the field.

CICILY

Seton hall university is one among the best universities found in New Jersey. With its catholic background it therefore cherishes the Christian values ,and hence rated the best academically and morally.

As a high school student, the idea of college brought butterflies to my stomach just like a kindergarten crush or waiting for an impending birthday. However, every once in a while life tends to give you a reality check and as September came those butterflies abruptly fell to their demise. But I was not left empty, instead, the once beautiful butterflies were replaced with menacing bats. Perfect. I can't attribute these new found emotions solely to Seton Hall itself, the people that make up this wonderful establishment most definitely had an input. My first, yes, first, roommate greeted me with unwanted stares and poor hygiene. I exhausted my limits attempting to be at least cordial with my new best friend but chose to leave after her love of Harry Potter prompted her to write spells on the wall as she locked eyes with me. Maybe she found this to be a sign of friendship but I was not comfortable. My next roommate was convinced that I was doomed to hell and spent every moment of her day trying to "save" me. Her efforts included blasting gospel music to the early morning hours, talking in tongues as I walked in the room, and sprinkling me with holy water. All of this aside, it was hard to hear her message when she would Snapchat taking shots of "holy wine" and spend every day sleeping, skipping class, and watching Netflix as she tweeted others to " stand up and spread the word of God!" Due to my living arrangements, I craved to branch out and find some distraction. Unfortunately for me, everythiing that I had ever been interested in was not available at Seton Hall. As a young Hispanic woman one of my hopes during college was to join some type of Hispanic cultural society or club but as luck would have it, there were not many options for me to choose from. There was only one group that remotely resembled what I was looking for however it seemed more religious than cultural which was not my intention. With that being said, most of my days were spent in the absolutely amazing library that gave me the tranquility I yearned for. With that being said, if given the choice to choose a school again I might reconsider my current university.

Gabrielle

A good school with wonderful teachers and students, that could really use some help on the administrative front. Most of Seton Hall's issues come from disorganized administration and poor planning, and the students definitely suffer for it. The school is incredibly generous with financial aid, which is crucial for poorer students who see private colleges as "out of their reach", like myself.

Sierra

I really like the environment the school promotes. Seton Hall has its downsides like any college would, but this school has amazing outside connections and plenty of on campus resources and opportunities. I find the classroom setting to be intimate and engaged, with helpful professors who want to see their students succeed.

Easlet

Do not send your black children to this university. The students are the most racist students at almost any university campus. Black students get ignored here and are outcast by other students. Black students come motivated and leave feeling like they have lived in the 1950's. Black students are belittled and denigrated most by other students (including Caucasians, Muslims and Hispanic's), regardless of how intelligent you are. I have witnessed it time after time. These students come into a university seem to have been taught professional racism by there parents. It is sad but true. Let them have this university.

Christina

My overall opinion on Seton Hall University is that it is amazing. I am beyond glad that i chose to further my education here. There are many opportunities to get involved in the school community such as Greek life, campus ministry, volunteering, guest speakers and more. My classes and the food are exceptional. The gym is so nice; I always want to go there! I would recommend everyone who wants a small, private school with a close-knit community feel to at least check out the school. You will not be let down!

Gabriela

It's a great place tbh. The people there are very welcoming and friendly, which made the transition to college easier for me. The campus is also not overwhelmingly big so it feels cozy when you are on campus. Everything is easily accessible to students and staff is always willing to help.

George

Seton Hall is a very well rounded University. I have met and had some great professors who are excellent at not only teaching students, but are always trying to incorporate real world information in the class. The resources when taken full advantage of are phenomenal. The career center is very helpful for anybody who is looking for an internship or is confused on what career path to take. There is also a lot of involvement on campus. There is a club or fraternity for every person on campus. It is a very diverse environment with great people who have similar goals to achieve as every other student. Some of the facilities such as dorms and older buildings could use some minor renovation, but besides that it is a great place to be.

Michal

Seton Hall University is a great establishment. It offers small classes taught by intelligent professors. Because the classes are small, there is more room for a good discussion. The university has a beautiful church for prayer. And there are always priests walking around waiting to help a student in need.

Zena

As a science major myself, the experience is not that great because of the lack of proper funding in the science department. In some labs for undergraduate students, even though it is currently 2017, students are left working with equipment almost twice as old as them. As a sports management major or a business major in general, you would love this school.

Victoria

Attending Seton hall has been one of the best decisions I could have made. It has given me numerous opportunities to discover things about myself and my future.

SHU is a medium-sized university in North Jersey, which is a great location for a lot of things. It's a quick train ride into NYC, which is really convenient for internships and also for any fun that you want to have there. The school is expanding really quickly, which is nice to see as a student. We're opening a brand new school of medicine and are always doing more renovations on the campus, so it's nice to see physical improvements. I really enjoy it here as a Journalism student - our proximity to New York makes it easy to get very cool and awesome internships. Basketball is also huge here, which is super fun.

Kyla

I love Seton Hall University! I am a current student majoring in Biology. When I first visited campus as a high school student I knew that SHU was where I was going to end up because of the "home" sense it had as soon as I stepped foot on campus. As a student I can say I made the right choice. Campus life is very active, there are always events on the green or in the "U-Center." Academics are good, it's clear that the professors really care about how you are doing and want you to succeed. I encourage people to visit and explore the amazing opportunities SHU can offer you!

Sade

I bleed Blue! I love attending Seton Hall; it's incredibly safe, wonderful about providing extracurricular activities (I'm a diplomacy student with a side-passion for singing; it's lovely that I don't have to give up either), and the academics are everything I could hope for. The class sizes are small and I've never had a professor that wasn't 100% invested in their field. I am blessed to be able to participate in the Honors Program at Seton Hall and satisfy my love of philosophy and history while still taking the Diplomacy/International Relations route. There is literally nothing I have to sacrifice while attending SHU, and as someone with many, spread out passions, this is priceless and rare. I'm more than lucky to be here.

James

Seton Hall is a great university because it truly feels like home. There are mentors everywhere who are more than willing to help you along the way through college. With rigorous academics and experiential learning opportunities, Seton Hall is dedicated to preparing students for the real world. The close-knit, Catholic community feels like one big family with tons of opportunities for the students to get engaged and enjoy their college experience. I would recommend Seton Hall to anyone look for a home for four years to grow as a student, a leader and an individual.

I love Seton Hall! I think it gives students a great education. The professors always just an email away if they are not on campus or in their office. The professors really do care about their students and want them to do well which makes learning at SHU an enjoyable experience.

les

seton hall is a good school in general. there are definetly things i would complain about every day but there are things i also love that i doubt i could find anywhere else. the people here are the best ive ever met and i couldnt imagine my college life without tge professors ive met so far as well

Miranda

I absolutely have loved my experience at Seton Hall University so far! I can't imagine going anywhere else. The campus is beautiful and the people you meet are amazing. It's a small school with big opportunities. The classes are small so you are able to form a relationship with your professors and classmates. Seton Hall has helped shape me into a well-rounded individual and I can't wait to see where it will take me!

Tatiana

I think overall it is a very good place to get my education. It is not perfect by any means (the food is the best in certain places) but I feel like it is a very nice, safe, welcoming campus that has great professors and staff members who care about the student body.

Bailey

I feel that Seton Hall provides a lot of different opportunities for their students. The class sizes are small enough for you to not get lost in the crowd and to be able to establish a relationship with your professor. There are both academic and social activities that are available for students, this allows for students to get involved and make both friends and memories. Both the professors and other academic support systems on campus are entirely there for the students expense, if you need help they are there to really help you and make sure that you succeed. Seton Hall wants to make sure that you have a great college experience while also making sure that you remain as safe as possible while staying on campus. The safety implications really make you feel as though you are at home and can really be able to do whatever you want. No matter what the situation or problem or struggle you are having Seton Hall does all that they can to resolve the issue and make sure that you can continue to have a great college experience.

Gunnar

My overall opinion is I immensely dislike Seton Hall University; I advise anyone not going to this university no matter how excellent your financial aid package is or how your first impressions are of this college. The school has little to no culture since there is very little student involvement on campus. Campus housing for food is terrible and depressing. The university does a horrible job of helping freshman transition to college life. The only fun times to be had is on Thursday nights and at the basketball games, but that's about it. Most of the students at Seton Hall are commuters, so the campus is empty on the weekends. Also if you're lucky you may end up with some decent professors, but otherwise good luck. Overall, Seton Hall is an average college and is the right school for some, but not for most.

Gillian

I am a current student here in the Biology/PA dual degree program. My first semester was difficult, mainly because of the adjustment of living on my own, but once I actually put in an effort to be involved and focused on my studies, I genuinely can say I have enjoyed my time so far at Seton Hall. Like all colleges, there are some aspects that seem like it is all just a money-making scheme, but the people you meet and the memories you make here are more than worth it. All of my professors have been insightful, helpful, and very encouraging professors -- even when the material seems insanely difficult, they still make learning new things a fun part of my major. I am so grateful for the people I have met that have made my time here meaningful and have helped me with job opportunities and internship opportunities. The caf food may not be that great, but the return on investment definitely is! Do not be afraid to give this school a chance -- everyone I know that has graduated has already received full-time job offers...that is all because of the faculty and the hands-on experience you get here at SHU. Go pirates!

gabriella

Seton Hall, when you first get there you think it will be a fresh start. You think if you aren't commuting you are leaving your old high school ways behind. And in a sense you are, you don't have to tell your parents even if you step outside for a second, you study independently and you learn how to study properly But there isn't one thing they don't warn you about this school. If you don't find your cliché the first week of freshman year, it will be very lonely for you. Coming from a school where cliché were obsolete to that is completely unexpected. This school is great when it comes to academics and caring about a student's well being, but they don't warn you that its high school all over again. They don't warn you that high school never ends. Some people of the older generations consider us dependent on our "safe zones" but that's not true. You can't even step out of your dorm without being judged or stereotyped. So if someone is still looking for that high school experience away from home this is your school.

Kah

I have been going to this school for the past year and I feel like I know the strengths and weaknesses of the school very well. First the campus food is sub-par. Don't expect to be served 5-star food. It's a pretty safe school, but that's only because it's based in a safe city, however, if you walk about 2-3 blocks down the block, your encountering something you don't want to be involved with. As far as academics, it's alright. We get a lot of professors and people who come to the campus to speak. The professors are okay but you might have some you would give a 1-star on Rate My Professor! Overall, the school is what you make it. By the way, the school is an average school for science-related majors but a great school for business and communication majors.

Amanda Joy

Seton Hall is a small close knit community. It is mainly a commuter school so there isn't much activity on the weekends as there would be at a bigger school. However, the people and opportunities here are so great and diverse, you're sure to find something to your liking. It's also not so far away from New York City or the town center, so there's plenty to do. I'm enjoying my time so far and I'm glad that I chose Seton Hall!

Seton Hall University has provided a safe environment where I have been able to make lifelong friends. Most of the classes are interesting because of the passion that the professors have. They are usually very easy to contact and understanding of academic issues. The dorm situations are good for a dorm, but the laundry situation is ridiculous. Most of the machines are usually broken if not the swipe which controls all of them. There is a lot of variety in the cafeteria, but some days, none of the varieties look very appealing, but they have many stations where students can prepare and individual meal. The recreation center is amazing and very convenient to stay in shape.

Amber

As a whole, I am not entirely pleased with my experience at Seton Hall however unfortunately that experience is akin to the trials and tribulations that people of color face in the real world. However, the triumphs of my major of study program, makes up for what the university lacks. While there are some downfalls, I can honestly say that I will be prepared as an educator upon leaving the university.

Kaila

Seton Hall University is a beautiful campus with very kind people. The food isn't the greatest, but is made up for with the very spacious dorms. The surrounding city is gorgeous with multiple college kid scenes. Academically, Seton Hall has a strong science curriculum. Overall, a good intellectual school.

Chanell

By the time decision day came around my senior year of high school, I was still stuck in between two schools. I did not know if I wanted to attend Seton Hall or Rutgers (New Brunswick campus). They had almost matched in terms of scholarships/financial aid. However, I reflected on my visit to Seton Hall and remembered what I loved about it, the diversity and sense of a community on campus. I am glad I made the decision to attend Seton Hall.

Bryan

Seton Hall University ticked all the boxes I was looking for in a University. It has intimate class sizes that promotes interaction between students and faculty, allowing for lasting connections to be made. In addition, its proximity to New York City encourages students to seek opportunities there.

Ashna

It's a great school with a lot of diversity. Seton Hall has a lot to offer to prospective students. They have many free services available to students whenever they may need it. I personally love it here. You see new faces everyday, anyone can easily fit in here.

Diverse college with plenty of interesting characters to meet. A plethora of experiences to be had with NYC only a 30-40 minute train ride away. The Student Activities Board plans some exciting trips to the city as well as unique campus wide events. Numerous different clubs and intramural sports to get involved in with the opportunity create your own. Basketball games are the most attended athletic event, everything else pales in comparison. The cafe provides a salad bar and make-it-yourself stations if you find the staff prepared food lacking. The party scene isn't bad, better may be found at the nearby Rutgers Newark campus or by just going into the city. The campus is relatively dead on weekends as most students journey to the city or return home. Classes are hit or more depending on the professor - some are fantastic, others merely oversee. College will always be what you make of it. Seton Hall offers a small but beautiful campus with a close knit student body, impressive opportunities thanks to its easy access to the city, and adequate food, academics, and housing. It may not have been my first choice college but I do not regret coming here.

Caitlin

I will tell anyone who wants to know that Seton Hall is the best school out there- at least it has been for me. If you are looking for a school that will provide you with the tool you need to succeed- including internships, meaningful networking opportunities, and professional development training and support- you need to have Seton Hall on your radar. If you also want a school that is teeming with extracurricular opportunities, and general school spirit, you need Seton Hall on your short list. Even on those days when the Student Activities Board has nothing on the schedule, you are always just a short train ride away from Manhattan, where your possibilities for a fun-filled weekend are endless. Seton Hall is not just another university- it is a home. You will have professors who go out of their way to support you academically. An outstanding faculty is coupled with small class sizes, which have a synergistic effect on your academic success and overall college experience. Commuter or resident, there are opportunities for you to thrive here at Seton Hall. What's more? The school's administration has created a ten-year plan for the university in the hopes of making this small school in South Orange, New Jersey even greater! That's right; this already distinguished institution is only getting better! Just in the past three years we have built one new academic building, expanded our parking garage, been noticed for our excellence by multiple news sources, and has jumped significantly in national rankings of universities. You may have noticed that I have been using the pronoun "we" throughout this review; this is not a mistake. I say "we" because being a student at Seton Hall is being a part of a big, loving community. Seton Hall is a place that I have come to call home. My family consists of over 6,000 students and 90,000 alumni world-wide. There is no "we" I would rather be a part of than Seton Hall University. Go Pirates!

Originally Seton Hall University was never a thought of mine when I started my college search. However, I do believe everything happens for a reason and I am more than happy that I ended up here. While the smaller size might not be for everyone, I find comfort in seeing familiar faces and only being a walk from all my classes. Living on campus, virtually everything is at your fingertips, and it’s very easy to get around. The pirate pride runs deep both on campus and with the network of alumni, and the university definitely supports its athletics. I really enjoy that despite being a small Catholic school, we feel bigger through our men’s basketball team. Additionally, while the university likes to uphold the Christian tradition and Catholic beliefs, I do not feel like any of the Catholic beliefs are pushed upon me. However, with upholding the Christian tradition I do not agree with the lack of sexual education on the university’s part. I feel that sexual education is vital to every campus, religious affiliation or not, and is definitely something I would change about the school. Also, I would change the dining hall. While it took some time to get the hang of, eating here kind of requires one to get creative. Otherwise, you will have to stick to a few of the same things. One of the things I like the most about Seton Hall University is the emphasis on security. Especially in comparison to the other colleges I have been to, Seton Hall is definitely the most secure. Each residence hall has 24 hour security and the entire campus’s perimeter is enclosed with a gate. Parts of the adjacent areas are a little spotty, but the security always makes me feel safe. Overall, I am very pleased with Seton Hall University and enjoy my time there. The two biggest drawbacks, the lack of sex ed and the dining hall, are all definitely insignificant when compared to all of its great things. If a small school setting is something you’re interested in, Seton Hall is a great place to consider.