Sewanee, TN
Sewanee-The University of the South

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sewanee-The University of the South

Laurence

Sewanee has unique traditions, truly caring professors, beauitful gothic arcitecture, and thought provoking classroom experinces. It is situated on the Cumberland plateau in Southeastern Tennessee on 12,00 acres. No other school would have allowed me to have the opportunities to get involved that Sewanee has: outing program to borrow hiking, repelling, caving equipment; study aborad programs, volunteer organizations, encouragement to start my own community groups, shape school policies, join a Greek organization, play varsity, club and intramural sports. The University of the South is an undiscovered gem.

The University of the South, also know as Sewanee, was the only school for me. It quirks, rich history and traditions from the South merged with those from Oxford created the intellectually stimulating and accepting environment I desired. I was pushed to analyze my beliefs, thoughts, and preconceptions while gaining valuable knowledge and making life changing connections with others students and especially professors. The university genuinely cares for each student and professors support the individual development of each person in their classes. My professors have inspired me to be a teacher with such compassion and drive as they possess. The schools my friends from high school attended did not have these same experiences. They were not shaped as people in each facet of their lives. Many only earned a degree. I have gained a home, a community, a family by attending Sewanee. I was encouraged to be involved in my communicty through service, varsity, intramural, and club sports, student honor and government associations, dorm staff, and the famous Outting Program which allows students to use the beautiful12,000 acre campus to their advantage. There is no other place like it on Earth.

I wish I had understood how many students follow the "work hard, play hard philosophy." I was never pressured to party or drink and did not spend my high school years doing such activities. It definitley shocked me at first, but no one really cared if I was drinking water or beer. Also, iIwas hesitant at first about applying because the school is very unique and strange on paper. The visit made all of the difference for me. The University of the South is definitely a school you need to experience to truly understand the feeling of the place.

Catherine

Sewanee is a great university with many opportunities and a rigorous academic program. However, it is not very well-known, even though it has existed for a very long time. Its fame is limited to certain circles, and I find that to be a shame. More people should know about this wonderful school. More wide-spread knowledge of Sewanee's existence would also help its graduates to be fully appreciated for what they have achieved.

I brag about the requirements for admission and the academic rigor of Sewanee. I was a member of the International Baccalaureate program in high school, so my friends are mostly academically-focused people.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to remember to SLEEP. As a student, musician, athlete, and generally social individual, I have found that the transition to college presented me with so many opportunities to be involved that I forgot to take care of myself for a while. At the end of my freshman year, I realized that although I had achieved excellence in many activities, I was not very happy or healthy, and therefore could not fully enjoy my success. I would tell my high school self that I will be in college for four years, and I should make sure to take time for myself; activities will still be there in the next semester! I have met many students who do not have positive things to say about their college experience because they are so tired all the time. Their hobbies have become obligations, and they no longer enjoy what they once loved. I would make sure to save myself from that initial confusion, preventing my future self from being overwhelmed and losing myself in trying to be everywhere at once.

Tim

The best advice I could have given myself can be defined by one word, read! Reading exercised the mind to explore new levels of intelligence. Writing perfectly relates to reading and the more I would have read, the better my writing would be and the more prepared I would be for college. Furthermore, a more successful college carrier would bring a better future for myself and anyone affected by my carrier choice.

Understanding the rigorous work handed before me in each class and the mindset to handle it before my professors. Working toward this goal, I have gained the wealth and knowledge I have never experienced before in my life.

A group of the most polite, enjoyable, and intelligent individuals any school has undoubtedly ever seen.

William

As I think back to 2008, which seems so very long ago, I realize how unprepared I was for te transition to college. I was so excited to be free from my parents and able to live my life without their rules. However, if I had known then that this freedom I desired would not be what I expected, I would have lowered my hopes about what college held for me. I fell into the trap of skipping class because no one was forcing me to go, and my grades suffered. However, knowing now how important class is to the well being of my grades, I would definatly have to explain to my past self that with my new found freedom comes the responsibility for my own actions. Over the past year I have discovered that by holding myself accountable for my actions, I have been able to reach my goals, whether academically or socially, rather than falling just short of them. I would have to say that teaching my past self accountability would be the most crucial piece of advice I would have received before leaving for school.

The small size of Sewanee allows for a lot of personal attention from the administration, insuring that know one is left behind at Sewanee, and the faculty. The average class has around 15 students in it, allowing for more attention from the professors.

The worst part about Sewanee would be the lack of communication between the administration and the student body. The administration has recently made changes through out the school with out consulting the students and the vast majority of the student body opposes these actions.

The beauty of the campus and the recent party school ranking issued.

The beauty of the campus and the recent party school ranking issued.

lack of diversity and tolerance of others.

Parents should let their kid have some say in what college to attend. Also, follow your dream. In this economy, underwater basket weaving probably has the same percentage of achievement as economics.

Julia

Sewanee is a beautiful, friendly, and academically stimulating place to attend college.

My biggest advice is to first investigate then to get involved. The most important thing in deciding on a college is knowing that you will be happy at the school you choose. It is important to visit a campus and get to know the students there to learn about what life is like on campus. I visited Sewanee and fell in love with it. Since I swim, I met some of the members of the swim team who were able to introduce me to other current Sewanee studesnts. I knew instantly that it was a school I wanted to go to. If you are an athlete, I would strongly suggest looking into a school where you can continue in that sport. Sticking with swimming was a great decision. Playing sports and getting involved in clubs and service groups are a great way to meet people on campus, in addition to simply being a great way to spend free time. I helped with Habitat for Humanity and joined the Natural History Society, which helped me make a more diverse group of friends and helped me expand my horizons, help my community, and further my intrests.

I feel that the cost is the worst thing about my school. It is very difficult for me to afford the $42,000 a year, but at the same time I feel that it is worth it.

Anthony

I am an alumnus of Sewanee and serve on the Board of Trustees as an alumni representative. I loved my time at Sewanee and feel it prepared me well for the rest of my life. I go back often, which is a great source of pleasure to me. At Sewanee there is an emphasis on learning to write well, in the environment that is home to the Sewanee Review, the nation’s oldest continuously published literary quarterly. Almost half of the students study or travel abroad and return to share their experiences on campus.

Check it out at www.sewanee.edu. Better yet, plan a campus visit!

I think Sewanee brings out the best in people. The students administer a 100-year-old honor system. Many of them work in 20 community service groups. The University is affiliated with the Episcopal Church, welcomes all faith traditions, and encourages discussion of ethical questions in class. Sewanee classes are small, so that there is close contact with faculty—and plenty of faculty support. Class discussions at Sewanee benefit from a tradition of active student participation. Sewanee’s chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the oldest and most prestigious undergraduate academic honor society, was founded more than 8- years ago. Sewanee has sent 25 Rhodes Scholars to Oxford—a record exceeded by only 15 other institutions. About 55 percent of Sewanee graduates go on to earn advanced degrees.

There are about 1,500 students in the college and the School of Theology. Ninety-five percent of them live on campus. The Sewanee education combines serious intellectual pursuit, collaborative learning, community outreach, and spiritual growth in a beautiful outdoor setting—a 10,000 acre campus that recently grew with the acquisition of 3,000 additional acres.

Christina

My school is best known for its beautiful, artistic campus, hiking trails, and outdoor activities.

Pick a college that offers a wide range of subjects to study, and offers what you are most interested in learning. Remember to study and have fun as well, and make lifelong memories.

An outdoorsy, adventurous, friendly, outgoing, and academically serious student.

Khuyen

My school is a small private university that grows on you once you spend about two years there. You will grow to like the small, quiet and nice campus. It is definitely not a place for someone who desires the excitement of citylife.

Sewanee is best known for its beautiful campus and weekend fraternities and sororities' parties.

If you want to find the right college for you, then you have to visit and experience campus life there. You can't tell how the campus is by looking at its brochure, website, or videos. They always show the nicer aspects and you will not be able to see the unpleasant side until it's too late. It's okay when you are nervous about making new friends in a brand new environment, but you need to let go of your inhibitions and branches out. You'll be surprise to find how many freshmans are in the same boat as you are. Don't be afraid to try new things! If you haven't gone mountain climbing before, then sign up and give it a chance should your school offers the experience. It's fun, and you'll be able to make new friends (or spend time with your old olds) and enjoy your college experience even more.

Shenae

The best thing to do is research. There are so many opportunities out there just waiting to be found. Also don't be afraid of using other sources. The internet is amazing and gives the chore of finding money that much easier, but it is not the only tool. Word of mouth is the oldest and sometimes the most usueful tool. People who have experience in searching for money many times may have the best advice. Talk to your school consulor, it may be a scholarship on their desk just waiting for you to use it. Start early is the best advice given to me. Many times I was so early that i was not qualified. However my attempt to gain information many times placed my name in the right people's minds. That way when it was time for me to be qualified they remembered. Finding money is your job. Treat this job as though its your last.

Our school student/ teacher ratio is about 12:1. This is great for studies. This allows you to recieve a more one on one teaching enviornment. There is a better chance of meeting with your professors during non class time. But still remembering they are just as busy as other college professors. Class disscussions either suffer greatly or are the best because of the small class size. You also develop a great relationship between the other students who are in your major.

A mor studious student should attend this school.The academic opportunities are amazing. It really sets the tone for your career path. You are trained to work almost anywhere and in any feild. However you must be able to adjust in enviornments where very little is assesible. You must have a car. The only thing you will do in your free time is drink or create a new type of social life.

Sewanee-The University of the South administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.