Sewanee-The University of the South Top Questions

I guess the worst thing about my school would probably be the work hard play hard mentality that is very prevelant across campus. Because Sewanee is such an academically challenging school, many of its students feel they should party as hard as they study; however, it is not impossible to stay away from this mentality and keep a good head on your shoulders. Also, the staff around campus have the student's best interests at heart and are always helpful when a student is in need.

Sewanee is a great university with many opportunities and a rigorous academic program. However, it is not very well-known, even though it has existed for a very long time. Its fame is limited to certain circles, and I find that to be a shame. More people should know about this wonderful school. More wide-spread knowledge of Sewanee's existence would also help its graduates to be fully appreciated for what they have achieved.

The worst part about Sewanee would be the lack of communication between the administration and the student body. The administration has recently made changes through out the school with out consulting the students and the vast majority of the student body opposes these actions.

I feel that the cost is the worst thing about my school. It is very difficult for me to afford the $42,000 a year, but at the same time I feel that it is worth it.

Henry

NOT ENOUGH SCHOOL SPIRIT, NO OFF CAMPUS HOUSING FOR ANYONE NOT A SENIOR, need a wider variety of business/ economics classes

Bakari

As culturally open as it is, it still is not as open as it should be.

Kenneth

With so many opportunities for engaging in the community, Sewanee can be overwhelming at first. It can seem like everyone else has it all figured out, knows their niche. A lot of folks come from old money, from private schools and boarding schools, are legacies; these people appear to have a leg up on the guy arriving sight unseen. Perhaps that's just reflective of the anxieties of a college freshman, but it proved a real struggle for me. However, it also spurred me to diversify my interests in order to get to know my entire community.

Jonte

The weeks when three of your four professors give you three days to read hundreds of pages and write insightful responses to questions that you must create based on what enlighted you in the given readings.

Bridgette

The school is extremely expensive, so it is often a struggle for some students to find scholarships and financial aid.

The tremendous lack of off-campus housing means that most (98{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of) students have to live in dorms, with a roommate until they are seniors. If the dorms were nice, that would not be bad, but many dorms here do not even have air conditioning. While each dorm has a "common room" with cable, as well as a kitchen, no individual rooms have facilities like this; the dorms are cinder-block, non-descript boxes that are more like a prison cell than a college students' living quarters.