Sewanee-The University of the South Top Questions

Sara

If I could go back 2 years to my senior year of high school, I would tell myself to keep a peace of mind during the process of applying to college. I would tell myself to continue to have faith in God and His plan for my life I would sat to continue to play my heart out in volleyball and know I will get to continue playing the sport I love in college. I would also tell myself that everything works out how it is supposed to in the end and that I need only to continue working as hard as I can and submit my best work. In regard to life at college, I would tell myself to stay true to my values at Sewanee, as I have. I would tell myself to take advantage of everything Sewanee has to offer and be open to new experiences, but to not overload myself in getting involved. Lastly, I would remind myself in every situation to remember who I am and what God expects of me as my father always told me when I was younger.

Jeanny

There are always going to be challenges amidst reaching closer and closer to one’s aspirations. It is important to realize that what makes me a capable person is to always complete what I set out to accomplish and to never give up on myself. Should I find trouble with my studies, heed the advice that my professors give and never be afraid to ask for help. Lastly, step away from my comfort zone and try to be more spontaneous around my peers. Only then, will I truly appreciate the practice and lend my talents to support others in the makings of their goals. All that remains is that I should perform my best for the sake that I can be proud of my own success.

Hannah

Frist, don't give up. You chose this school because of its academic reputation and rigor, among other things. Even though every class is at the equivalent of honors level, don't let that scare or depress you. In some classes, it may mean you need to ask for help, but trust me, that's normal for everyone, no exceptions. By the same token, don't slack up. Don't let all this "freedom" distract you from your job, the reason your'e at college in the first place: academic work. And yes, calling college a job is accurate, because this university thought enough of you to help out financially. The school and the faculty believe in you, believe in your abilities, and believe that you can and will go on to do great things, both during and after college. I'm almost done; just one more piece of advice to dispense. All these people rooting for you and supporting you and believing in you? Don't forget to prove them right.

Dimitri

The major piece of advice I'd give myself is only to start applying for scholarships early. So far adjusting has been alright, and I've kept myself out of any trouble at school, so I would do the same things I've done up until know in that regard. At this point though, money is becoming more and more scarce, and with my mother being diagnosed with breast cancer (September), it really would have helped to get started on applying for scholarships earlier.

Trevor

Foucs on your studies! Before and even during my first year of college I thought college meant four years of having fun but did not realize how hard it would actually be. I was always told during high school how college was the best four years of your life or how not to let it slip away because it comes and goes so quickly. And I took everyones advice and lived my freshman year to its fullest, but did not realize there had to be a balance of having fun and studying. Needless to say I was very disappointed with my GPA after that first year. And have since worked harder than I would have to make up first years grades. Even in my jr. year I am still feeling the mistakes I made my freshman year. So, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a Senior in high school I would tell myself that there is a time to have fun and there is a time to study. And the importance of knowing when to chose one over the other.

Phoua

After high school, you can graduate and start working and become satisfied like some people and that’s fine, however, if you are the type that is always looking for something better, the best thing to do is to complete a higher education. Pick one thing that you like to do, know how to do, do it well, and wouldn’t mind teaching others to do as well. Then go to school to learn more about what it is that you like to do and become the best at it. That way, even if you don’t end up working for someone, you know enough to work for yourself. With the unemployment rate at 9{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, it may be best that you own a business. Even with a business though, you want to know your customers and satisfy a need. You want to maintain great customer relationships. You should consider business courses and start reading industry publications of those that interest you, if this is something that you would like to pursue. The important thing is that you do the best you can at whatever you do.

Paying strict attention to college deadlines is a must. Financial, residential, medical and graduation information are all important and cause delays should such information not be received in a timely manner. Patience and flexibility are other necessary virtues when adjusting to college life. Dorm assignments, first-time course registration, and campus familiarity all require loads of patience and flexibility. No matter how ready you are to start this new phase, coming to an unfamiliar place, with unfamiliar procedures, and complete strangers makes for a challenging change. Having a willing attitude, with that patience and flexibility I mentioned before, is vital to a successful transition.

Matthew

Dont screw up in college like you have been in high school. You screw up in college then you pay for it, literally.

Sara

Although acquiring technical knowledge that will be helpful during future careers is one of the most fundamental reasons that students attend college, there is an incredible number of other skills that I have acquired throughout my college experiences that I value just as much as the textbook information that I have absorbed. I appreciate my college experience for teaching me how to balance work and a social life, a task that I believe will be extremely valuable in my future. I also value that I have acquired the ability to work with professors and other academics in a professional and competent manner. I feel that I am fully prepared for any job situation in which I would need to interact with a boss, clients and any other individual. College is one of the most valuable investments that young people can make in their future. It is during my college experience that I have not only gained a great deal of knowledge, but have acquired the skills to succeed in the work environment. College is tremendously valuable because it equips students with the tools to be successful in the future, no matter what field they choose to enter.

Angela

Confidence and intelligence are the most important things that I have gotten out of my college experience so far. With confidence I can have the ability to go up against things that I would normally not do because of my fear of the unknown and possibly failure. Confidence is like having a friend on your shoulder wispering in your ear telling you that you can do it. Confidence gets you through the hard times when you don't believe in yourself. With the intelligence that I have gained from the classes that I have attended so far I have more confidence to attempt the items that I would not normally have done. I feel more confident when talking with other students and I don't feel like I am out of my league. I am smart and I can do whatever I put my mind to do. Before I started attending classes at the college, I would have never filled out this application. Confidence and intelligence are two assets that nobody will be able to take away from me. My college experience is making a difference in my life and in the life of my childrens.

Laurence

The University of the South, also know as Sewanee, was the only school for me. It quirks, rich history and traditions from the South merged with those from Oxford created the intellectually stimulating and accepting environment I desired. I was pushed to analyze my beliefs, thoughts, and preconceptions while gaining valuable knowledge and making life changing connections with others students and especially professors. The university genuinely cares for each student and professors support the individual development of each person in their classes. My professors have inspired me to be a teacher with such compassion and drive as they possess. The schools my friends from high school attended did not have these same experiences. They were not shaped as people in each facet of their lives. Many only earned a degree. I have gained a home, a community, a family by attending Sewanee. I was encouraged to be involved in my communicty through service, varsity, intramural, and club sports, student honor and government associations, dorm staff, and the famous Outting Program which allows students to use the beautiful12,000 acre campus to their advantage. There is no other place like it on Earth.

Catherine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to remember to SLEEP. As a student, musician, athlete, and generally social individual, I have found that the transition to college presented me with so many opportunities to be involved that I forgot to take care of myself for a while. At the end of my freshman year, I realized that although I had achieved excellence in many activities, I was not very happy or healthy, and therefore could not fully enjoy my success. I would tell my high school self that I will be in college for four years, and I should make sure to take time for myself; activities will still be there in the next semester! I have met many students who do not have positive things to say about their college experience because they are so tired all the time. Their hobbies have become obligations, and they no longer enjoy what they once loved. I would make sure to save myself from that initial confusion, preventing my future self from being overwhelmed and losing myself in trying to be everywhere at once.

Tim

The best advice I could have given myself can be defined by one word, read! Reading exercised the mind to explore new levels of intelligence. Writing perfectly relates to reading and the more I would have read, the better my writing would be and the more prepared I would be for college. Furthermore, a more successful college carrier would bring a better future for myself and anyone affected by my carrier choice.

William

As I think back to 2008, which seems so very long ago, I realize how unprepared I was for te transition to college. I was so excited to be free from my parents and able to live my life without their rules. However, if I had known then that this freedom I desired would not be what I expected, I would have lowered my hopes about what college held for me. I fell into the trap of skipping class because no one was forcing me to go, and my grades suffered. However, knowing now how important class is to the well being of my grades, I would definatly have to explain to my past self that with my new found freedom comes the responsibility for my own actions. Over the past year I have discovered that by holding myself accountable for my actions, I have been able to reach my goals, whether academically or socially, rather than falling just short of them. I would have to say that teaching my past self accountability would be the most crucial piece of advice I would have received before leaving for school.

Parents should let their kid have some say in what college to attend. Also, follow your dream. In this economy, underwater basket weaving probably has the same percentage of achievement as economics.

Julia

My biggest advice is to first investigate then to get involved. The most important thing in deciding on a college is knowing that you will be happy at the school you choose. It is important to visit a campus and get to know the students there to learn about what life is like on campus. I visited Sewanee and fell in love with it. Since I swim, I met some of the members of the swim team who were able to introduce me to other current Sewanee studesnts. I knew instantly that it was a school I wanted to go to. If you are an athlete, I would strongly suggest looking into a school where you can continue in that sport. Sticking with swimming was a great decision. Playing sports and getting involved in clubs and service groups are a great way to meet people on campus, in addition to simply being a great way to spend free time. I helped with Habitat for Humanity and joined the Natural History Society, which helped me make a more diverse group of friends and helped me expand my horizons, help my community, and further my intrests.

Christina

Pick a college that offers a wide range of subjects to study, and offers what you are most interested in learning. Remember to study and have fun as well, and make lifelong memories.

Khuyen

If you want to find the right college for you, then you have to visit and experience campus life there. You can't tell how the campus is by looking at its brochure, website, or videos. They always show the nicer aspects and you will not be able to see the unpleasant side until it's too late. It's okay when you are nervous about making new friends in a brand new environment, but you need to let go of your inhibitions and branches out. You'll be surprise to find how many freshmans are in the same boat as you are. Don't be afraid to try new things! If you haven't gone mountain climbing before, then sign up and give it a chance should your school offers the experience. It's fun, and you'll be able to make new friends (or spend time with your old olds) and enjoy your college experience even more.

Shenae

The best thing to do is research. There are so many opportunities out there just waiting to be found. Also don't be afraid of using other sources. The internet is amazing and gives the chore of finding money that much easier, but it is not the only tool. Word of mouth is the oldest and sometimes the most usueful tool. People who have experience in searching for money many times may have the best advice. Talk to your school consulor, it may be a scholarship on their desk just waiting for you to use it. Start early is the best advice given to me. Many times I was so early that i was not qualified. However my attempt to gain information many times placed my name in the right people's minds. That way when it was time for me to be qualified they remembered. Finding money is your job. Treat this job as though its your last.

Hallie

I would tell a student to go with their gut. Visit a school as many times as you need to figure out where you fit best. Trust that everything will all work out. Once you are attending a college make the most of it. Explore extracurricular activities and take advantage of all your college has to offer. Sign up for clubs and make friends. Don't just focus on grades, those are important, but so is having a true college experience.

Henry

Have the kids visit each school. You can only learn so much, and only the presentable things, from interviews and tours and information sessions. The best way to get a feel for the college you want to attend is to stay with one of the students, with similar academic and extra-curricular interests, so that you can tell what you can look forward to at each school.

Liaren

The key to finding the perfect fit for college is simply to try it on. Like any article of clothing, a college may seem like the right size or look while still on the hanger, but you will never know for sure until you try it on. Thus, before making any big decisions about where to attend school, both parents and students should make a conscious effort to visit a school. Students should try to stay for a weekend and immerse themselves into campus life. Visit a class or spend some time with current students. Try it on for size and see if it actually fits. If it does not, then they should make the necessary adjustments in their search by finding a smaller or larger school, picking one that comes in different colors or majors, etc. Once they have chosen that perfect fit, they should put it to good use. Gloves may fit like a second skin, but if you never wear them then your hands will stay cold. If a student does not get involved in campus life and their school then it doesn't matter how perfect the school is for them. Get involved. Use it.

Bakari

Find the place that best suites your tastes and don't be afraid to apply because of money; money is always available in the for of a scholarship or Financial Aid.

Ted

Start early. Make sure you look at a broad range of schools. If you can, visit each school and meet with current students. Spend the weekend at the school to get a feel of it. Also, apply early and revise, rewrite and reread your admissions essays until they are the best you can write them.

Kenneth

The stats and statistics never paint the full picture, they never come close. Look at the community the school is in, find out how the school develops students' lives beyond the classroom, and don't let one aspect of a school dissuade you.

Jonte

A student should have been thinking about their life as an adult before they reach their junior year in high school. Those who do will have made critical course selections and involved themselves in their communities. However, very few sixteen year olds see beyond the next week. So parents, talk to your daughters and sons about more than what clothes they are wearing, or how loud their music is, or why they haven't cleaned their room in the last month. Help them get to know themselves on a deeper level than peer pressure dictates; then they will have a better sense for the right college. Talking should not equate to lecturing, it should be dialogue coming from all points of view. Allow them to have differences of opinion to yours, be open minded to their ideas, and help guide them to build critical thinking skills. The freshman year away from home is quite a shock if it is their first encounter with time or money management; important decisions. With all that good advice being taken, the family has its best chance at selecting a school to match a specific career goal, or support system, or social environment. Good Luck!

Bridgette

College is about what you make of it. No one college is a perfect fit for anyone. I was always afraid of choosing the wrong school and ending up miserable for four years, but after choosing a school that seemed at odds with everything I wanted in a college, I decided to make the most of the opportunities it provided. As a result I experienced four years I will remember and appreciate the rest of my life. I got involved in various groups around campus and made incredible friends. Also to future college students - As a freshman it may seem as if you have all the time in the world to decide on a major and future career. Believe me when I say that four years will be over before you know it, so please make the most of those years, both adademically and socially. Study, study, study! And remember, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."

Whitney

Whether one finds them through handbooks, word-of-mouth, or pamphlets in the mail, after creating one's short list of prospective universities, choosing the right one can be agony. Like real estate, the most important and final criteria for choosing the right university is location, location, location. Prospective students need to consider long and hard if they can actually picture themselves living at a certain campus for four years. Students with concrete interests in pre-professional fields such as pre-law, pre-med, or engineering need schools with strong programs in those fields; otherwise, students less certain about their futures should consider liberal arts colleges, which often provide more options and more sympathetic faculty advice concerning potential career plans. The final most important standards to apply to all potential colleges is availability of financial aid and professor to student ratios. Other than that basic checklist, visitation is key--if the campus looks right, if the weather's right, if it feels right, then it's probably a good match. Once a student settles in, focus on academics rather than too many extracurriculars can lay the foundation for the strong freshmen GPA which can make or break grad school applications.

Megan

Just follow your heart, use the gut feel, and once you make a decision, don't look back !!

Devin

Students are often told that college will be the best four years of their life, as if they'll set foot on campus and immediately their life will become wonderful. This simply isn't true: for college to be the best four years of your life, you must be willing to make it the best four years of your life. Where you go to school actually matters less in the long run than the effort you put into the experience of being there. A student at a small school might become depressed that he is not making enough friends, griping that "there's no one like me there." What this really means is "I'm afraid people won't like me." Don't make the mistake of fear and then confuse it for disdain. There are people at every school that will like you, no matter how different you may be from them, but if you expect people to open their horizons and be friends with you, you must be willing to do the same. Do not be afraid to try new things, learn new things, and do new things, and every door at college will be open to you.

Josh

I definitely encourage campus visits. I college/university may look perfect on the internet but you may have a completely different view of it when your there in person. I know from experience. I visited a school in kentucky which i thought would be great, but when i got there i realized it wasnt the school for me.