Ullin, IL
Shawnee Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Shawnee Community College

Matthew

Shawnee Community College is a great place to learn - but not the place to go if you're interested in the college experience. There is no provided housing, on-campus or off, though at one time it was planned. The place is small enough to be a high school, and thus has a somewhat unaccepting social environment - if you graduated from a high school in the districts it serves, you will know at least half the students already, and if you didn't, you'll be hard-pressed to grow a friend circle beyond 10 members. However, in terms of educational facilities, it is an excellent and cost-effective option. The instructors are well-versed in their fields and prepared to help students succeed however they can. Students are offered access to a library on campus as well as a digital database off campus to assist with research. There exist three extension centers throughout southern Illinois to allow students who cannot commute to the main campus to study at Shawnee more conveniently. On campus exist transfer offices, where each week representatives from Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Southeast Missouri State University, and Murray State University hold office hours and meet with students to discuss the process of transferring to those institutions. Students also have free tutoring options, allowing them to receive help from faculty or peer tutors. These features are similar in quality to a university, but are offered for an average price of $3,000 per semester - drastically less than universities charge. If you're looking for a social experience, Shawnee Community College is not for you. However, if you're alright with the concept of much work and little play, Shawnee provides a cost-effective option for quality education, and an incredible jumping-off point for a four-year education and beyond.

Donna

It is a nice school to get your associates degrees. Many of the instructors or professors are very caring and go above and beyond. This semester, the young students that arrived, act like they are still in high school and disrupt classes and make teaching difficult for instructors.

Abbas

Most of the professors are awesome. They are always willing to help students and make sure they have the knowledge and skills they need to achieve their future life goals. The current administration, on the other hand, is absolutely horrendous. In the past the scholarship I was given promised to pay all of my expenses at SCC. Now, the current president has limited that scholarship to only pay for all the expenses associated with taking 9 credit hours worth of classes. When my family and I set up a meeting to determine why this was the case, the president seemed unable to provide us with a coherent response. This is why I am very disappointed in Shawnee Community College and if this is how they treat their students, with broken promises and lies, then I cannot recommend this institution to anyone, despite the wonderful performance of its teachers.

Brianna

The teachers are very helpful and available to help students. There are plenty of opportunities for students to get help if they are struggling. The college is very affordable and the class sizes are small, so students get to interact one-on-one with their instructors.

Kimberly

As a second year college student, if I could go back in time to tell my self advice, more likely than not I would have told myself to pay a little more attention to the classes I would take my first year in college and pay more attention to my schedule, due to my schedule last spring I was set back a year on my nursing generals. With out this fault I could have been getting ready to graduate from LPN school. I would also have told myself that sports are not everything, to follow my heart instead of my head.

Honestly, with Shawnee Community College's senior day the year prior to attending myself enrolling in SCC, myself along with hundreds of other high school students were provided with more than enough information. If not all were learned that day, the summer prior to attending first semester SCC offers a freshman orientation. Along with these dates of information, the teachers at SCC are very willing to help all students with questions.

Shawnee Community College is a wide variety school, in my personal experience of one and half years the schools accesabilty to all students is outstanding. The school has handi-cap parking, and all doors and bathrooms, there are translators and tutors on site on all locations of the school. Shawnee Community College is providing myself and fellow classmates with an excellent education that comes easy to all students through out the United States.

Kevin

Shawnee College is very intimate in that you get a lot of help from your instructors.

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was in high school senior, I would tell myself to be ready to work hard. I went to a high school that in my mind seemed below standards. I really did not have to try all that hard to succeed at my classes because we did not learn anything that required me to actually go home and work on. I was able to listen in class and then use that information when it came time for tests. Now that I have been in college I have realized that even though you might have not been given a good background because of the quality of your high school, there is still hope. I enjoy college because it is an actual challenge for me. I have to take my coursework home with me every night and I have to study. This has helped me to realize that if you want to do something good with your life and not settle for mediocrity that you are required to work. I am able to work two jobs and still keep great grades because college has taught me how to handle the tough stuff.

The most frustrating thing at Shawnee College seems to be that most of the funding goes towards the sports programs and very little goes to the arts. It always seems that we are having to do some type of fundraiser to purchase things that are needed.

Masasha

Listen up, Masasha. This may be kind of weird to you, but rest assured I'm here to help. I've visited the future and at your pace, I feel sorry for yours. Harsh, but it's the truth. Our future depends on if you'll listen. College is very important to our future. It's time to get serious. Start paying attention in class; your grades are suffering. College is very different from high school. You have many luxuries that you didn't have in high school and you may be easily sidetracked; but that's all just a distraction a maturing young adult can overcome. Graduating was an achievement, but college is a tremendous opportunity that can pave the path you could lead in life. It's the beginning of a new beginning. It's time for you to leave behind the childish, carefree ways. College is a very tricky game if not well prepared. While you're still in high school pay attention to teachers and what they are saying about colleges. They offer lots of helpful information. Basically, I'm saying get focused; be dedicated to your education to ensure you'll have a promising future.

The best thing about the school that I currently attend is the small and intimate campus. It gives me a sense of relief to know that I am not a number in a crowd like many students are at larger universities. Shawnee Community College is a great starter school and I feel it has prepared me for a bigger university.

What I wish I had known before I came to this school is how to manage my time more wisely and that college is a completely new experience that offers many rewards, but also can beat a Freshman up both physically and mentally if not well prepared.

Dustin

Dustin Lyle Womack of the past, there is so much that you are about to learn and understand that you don't grasp yet. In the next two years you are going to see the world in a different light and it will oftentimes be a frustrating and challenging experience; my advice to you is never lose hope, never surrender to discouragement, and always struggle on. One thing that you need to understand above all else is that truly great men were never born that way. It was only through their trials and subsequent perseverance that such men rose to a higher degree of character; make no mistake, noble character is the defining trait of a truly great man. Thus, through the dark cloud of doubt and fear that is about to assail you, remember always that dawn will eventually come and that it brings a calmness and experience that can only be born from the casting aside of trepidation and the knowledge that you have bravely persevered through the night.

There are so many things that prospective students need to know about starting college that so many people overlook, the most important thing that I wish someone had told me is that there is no need for anxiety. I wish that I had known that with patience, perseverance, and persistence every situation can be dealt with and mastered. Ultimately that variety of inspiration and encouragement would have benefited me more than all the preparatory tests, class counselors, and advanced classes that I have forced myself to endure countless times. I wish I had known that hard work always pays off.

Many community colleges have one thing in common with each other: there are a wide variety of students enrolled that come from low-income families and they are struggling to stay afloat academically. The worst thing about Shawnee Community College is that students like the ones described aren't encouraged enough and thus they fail to encourage each other; eventually a pervading but subtle sadness sweeps through the student body as words such as, "ready to be gone, waste of time, and I feel like a failure," linger in the air.

Shawnee Community College is an easy transition from high school to college.

Shawnee Community College is an easy transition from high school to college.

The advise that I would give myself, if I could go back in time and tell myself as a high school senior, would be to work hard and give it all you've got because you can only do it once. Do all the extra that you can on homework just to knowledge yourself, because when you get to college, you will need all the information you can recieve, and the more you know now, the easier you will make it on yourself. Also save all the money that you possibly can because the less you have to borrow in student loans the better.

I believe that if you are someone who slacks and doesn't want to work for their grade, then you shouldn't go to Shawnee Community College.

Shawnee Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.