Shawnee State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Shawnee State University

During my time as a student, there hardly majors for conceptual/sequential art as drawing was the only degree that was closest to what I was looking for. Financially, I felt a little slighted as my grades from high school did not reward me me scholarships and was forced to take out loans to pay for tuition. However, the coursework to attain my degree excelled past the negatives as I was able to learn things about art that my high school never taught me. During the late years of my attendance, a digital painting professor came to the university and became a permanent class since my graduation in 2013. In addition, the art history minor was amazing. For two separate semesters, I was able to travel abroad to museum hop, explore the cities and marvel at great architecture. In 2011 I went to Germany and the Czech Republic and then Spain and France in 2014. Not even the Art Institute offered abroad classes like this. With these reasons, I do not regret attending Shawnee State University to obtain my B.F.A.

Bailey

I actually transferred here from NKU for Video Game Design. SSU is a smaller school compared to many schools, but I wouldn't transfer anywhere else; I absolutely love it here. There are many opportunities to get involved from on-campus ministry to school-wide nerf wars. Many students are friendly and it's quite easy to make friends and feel welcome.

Emerald

A nice university if you're looking for small sized classes and a personalized educational experience. The programs offered include a wide range of topics and professions, and the professors are generally invested in the success of their students (though, like with every school, there are exceptions to this).

Allison

Shawnee State University is a very welcoming school. The counselors and the teachers all try to help you if you desperately need. There are a lot of facilities geared to help students, such as, the Student Success Center which is where you can get help from a tutor, use a computer lab to write a paper, or talk to a counselor if you need help. It helps me relax knowing that there are people who care about whether I need help or not and will go out of their way to make me feel comfortable. There is also security guards who will walk students to their dorm late at night if they request it or they will help you jump your car if it won't start. The little things the school provides are the amazing qualities about this school.

Baylee

Shawnee always feels safe despite the city that it is located in thanks to the security on campus. The professors that I have had always atleast gives an email address, sometimes personal ones for when their school email doesn't work, for students to use to contact them in case they do not have an office or cannot be reached any other way. Sometimes my professors do not use their blackboard because they cannot access them and so the only way to know your grade is to ask them for it, this also makes it more difficult to keep track of assignments when unable to attend class. Some professors seem to have a preference in assignments being printed and not just turned in digitally and has only stressed the over use of the printers on campus even more, the school is trying to make it so students will have to start paying to print things from the library which will be difficult when the professors that want paper copies are asking students to print out three essays that are each eight pages long for class.

Aeryel

The school is not huge, but it is just big enough to make you feel welcome. Lots of chances to make friends. The only problem i have had with the school is my program. If you are interested in education your better off to go early education or youll be in the boat most of us are which is finding answers for yourself.

Shawnee is a great college that deserves to be known. It is often judged because of the location, but I never feel unsafe when at school. The community is friendly and there is always something to do. I've made so many friends, I'm really surprised. My housemate constantly has study group going on in the kitchen and I join as often as I can.

Casey

I believe Shawnee State University is a great place to thrive artistically and academically in the major you wish to pursue if you put effort into it. There are areas open to improvement but its a small school with limited distractions and I prefer it that way. So far going there has benefitted me and the price is very affordable in comparison to other colleges.

Amy

The small-town feel is what drew me here, but the people and programs made me stay. Maybe I just stay in the right circles (computer programming), but everyone here is nice. The professors are knowledgeable and available. In the programming major, everyone knows everyone -- so it's really easy to get the help you need.

There's both good and bag at this institution the questions failed to cover. Several LGBTQA+ persons voiced concerns over an improper counselor. Parking and communication between students and guests can be difficult. The professors are not held to a uniform standard of availability so you can just get screwed over. For someone like me, who rather wouldn't be forced into inclusion, that's 40% of the experience. Adverts for the in campus cafeteria and people posting about the same event eight times a day via the campus app. There are also some 'quality -of-life' policies that the university is going through now that might not end well. The good in this place was most of the professors I've had up to this point. Nearly all of them had been amazing, understanding people that not only helped me any chance I needed, but fostered my desire to excel more than any other professors or teachers in the nearly two decades I have lived.

Alexandrea

I think that Shawnee State University is a great campus with wonderful professors and facilities. Their ears are always open for improvement and take student's thoughts into consideration. I always suggest Shawnee State University to high school students.

I attended for one semester, and I absolutely loved it. I met amazing people, and it helped me grow as a person. I had to leave due to some unfortunate circumstances but the faculty helped me every step of the way. My dad had two strokes in a week period and my family and I thought he was going to pass away. By the end of the week I was free to leave with everything taken care of. Student or not, Shawnee is a great community full of friends everywhere you look.

Aleea

I really love Shawnee State University. It’s a small, beautiful campus and makes me feel like I’m at a home away from home with the apartment style housing. The academics could be better, but they aren’t terrible. One of the down sides is that Shawnee is located in Portsmouth which is known to have a problem with drugs. On campus is usually fine, but leaving campus can be kind of scary, especially at night. I love the atmosphere of the school. Shawnee is really big on diversity and inclusion and always seems to have multiple events going on throughout the week each week. I can always find something to do and get involved in.

haleigh

My overall opinion would be that it's a great campus. Since it's relatively small you're able to have more access to your professor and are able to talk one on one. Even though it's small, we still have campus security patrolling around the clock, so it makes me feel safe

alexis

Shawnee State University is an amazing school to attend and very inclusive. We have security always reachable and always patrolling to make sure we stay safe. We have our own drag shows, and many groups to join on campus. There is a place for everyone to feel safe and welcome at Shawnee.

Delaney

I have been a student at Shawnee State for almost 2 years now. Ive had a lot of interactions with many different students and i feel as though the atmosphere is most of the time centered around partying or sports. The school is located in Portsmouth, Ohio, which i will warn you is not a very "nice" part of town. Theres a lot of known drug use and alcohol consumption, but with all that being said i do love MY classes, and my professors. Most of them are very informative and helpful. I live in the townhouse style dorms which i like a lot, but i do feel like other buildings on campus need the same modernization and updating as the other dorms and lecture halls.

Courtney

Shawnee State University is a quaint college on the border of Ohio and Kentucky right up next to the Ohio River. It’s the perfect size, because all of your classes are in walking distance. The bad thing about it’s location though, is that it’s in Portsmouth. I would not recommend anyone walk around town alone and to carry pepper spray with them when they leave campus. On a lighter note, the culture has a little bit of everything. There’s different religious groups, every kind of club imaginable, and easy access to social events. Most students are kind and highly sociable, and the professors are fairly accessible on the weekdays. One of the more important things to me is the library. It’s a large and well laid out structure with hundreds of books, but it may be hard to find many things published after 1995.

Abby

Shawnee State University is a great college for certain majors and it shows. It's an excellent college for game design and as such I would recommend it not only to those interested within that area of study but also to those who enjoy talking about or playing any types of games on any device. Conventions for gaming are held at least once a year and the gaming department often showcases their latest developments. I would also recommend Shawnee State University to those looking to transfer from a community college to something slightly larger but not as intimidating as a city-wide campus. However, the area around Shawnee State University may not be as ideal as the campus itself so I would recommend staying on the campus and not staying out after dark.

I love Shawnee. Small class sizes and caring professors really make Shawnee a great place to attend school. I obtained an Associate's with Shawnee and then went to another school and missed Shawnee so much that now I am back finishing up my bachelors! I cannot say enough good things about Shawnee. Also, I would like to add that the counseling center is amazing. My freshman year of college was really hard but thanks to the counseling center I was able to get my anxiety and depression under control so I could be a successful student. Go Bears!