Shelton State Community College Top Questions

Luke

Listen to God, and he will lead you down the correct path. He has a plan for you, and he will always be there for you.

It's always nerve racking to think about going from high school to attending a college, especially when you were homeschooled through high school like I was. I would tell myself not to worry. The classes are interesting, and you're constantly learning new things so you'll never be bored. Study the work you have every night and start your papers early. You should always ask questions when you're unsure of something or can't figure a math problem out, because you'll probably need it for a test. Also, make sure to take psychology. The tests are hard, and you practically want to rip your hair out from frustration, but it's interesting and challenging. You learn so much, and that's why you like college. Love the challenge and love learning new things.

lakesha

If I could turn back the hands of time, I would tell myself to keep pushing and to get my education and a carreer. I dropped out high school after I had my son. I went a year later and got my G.E.D. After I received my G.E.D, I took some college courses but I was not mentally ready to go to college so I dropped out. In 2011, my son and I lost all of our belongings due to a tornado that destroyed parts of Alabama. This tragic event made me realize that now was the time to get serious about my college career. If I had been serious about my eucation and career back then, then things would have been so much better for my son and I. It is hard going to college at my age but I am determined to make my life easier. I am a single mother to a 21 year old son that has a mental and learning disorder. I . I would tell my younger self that life is too short and to accomplish your goals while you are young because it is much harder when you get older.

The advice which I would give myself involves both the unplanned personal events and relationships you encounter in entering college life, and planning for the financial end of college, particularly as a student who will transfer from a community college environment to a four year institution. Both of these areas can caused bumps in what I anticipated to be a relatively smooth college road. I would tell myself, "Kaitlyn, college is more than just the education you get in the classroom. Be ready to cry, laugh and learn to live on your own with a lot of other students who are just as lost in the process as you feel. College is a crash course in life, you will be tried by fire to figure out what your priorites are and who you are. But you will!" I would also advise myself that 2 years of community college goes fast, so don't enjoy your scholarship too much because you will soon be faced with applications, auditions, and the same process you did in high school all over again. But the good news is that you will be so much more mature and ready this time!

Savannah

As a transfer student from the University of Alabama, I would advise myself to figure out what I wanted to with my life pre-registration. I came to college not knowing what i wanted to do for the rest of my life, and this made it difficult to put the extra effort into studying and increasing my GPA. Once i found my niche in life, my attitude towards my grades and study habits did a 180 degree shift. I would advice myself to research and volunteer in different areas before going to college, this way i would know what classes i needed to take, and not waste my time with those I did not.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would use the famous words of Maya Angelou, ?all great achievements require time.? I would reassure my senior-self that I will be a successful student. In addition, I would explain that the tough times will pass and smile. I would emphasize to my na?ve self to listen to my intuition in difficult situations. I would forewarn myself to slow down when driving. I would also explain the importance of attendance in my future classes because it correlates with grades. I would tell myself to start typing notes out and be organized from day one. Most importantly, I would tell myself to never take time for granted; spend every chance I get with my family because they will not be around forever. I would give her a big huge and a kiss on the cheek because that senior girl has the world in front of her and she does not even know it and there is no way I would be able to put into words how much fun she is going to have in the next chapter of her life.

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would advise myself to lear to balance between school and my social life. Also I would advise myself to have better study habits. Another thing I would advise myself about is that if I want something in life, I have to achieve for myself, not to satisfy other people. Futhermore, I would advise myself not to give up, I must reach for my goal. My goal will not be handed to me on a silver plate, I must work very hard to achieve my goal.

Geneva

There are many things that I wish I knew before. High school is very different from college. The students in college are very much more goal oriented and independent. Attending a college filled with people of various age groups, ethnicities, and educational preferences is a whole new learning experience for me. To have the abiltity to go back in time and tell myself a thing or two would be great. I would say, "College is going to be a great experience. It will sculpt you into the person you wish to become. You will transition into a more caring and responsible person. Transitioning from high school to college will not be the easiest thing you have done. Though the transtion from high school to college will be a bit bumpy, you can get through it. Success from now on is going to take pure dedication from you. You have to study double the time you studied in high school. And you're going to have to make a few sacrifices. Don't let anything or anyone stand in your path of success." These are the same words I would tell my children who may need a little encouragement and guidance.

If only I could go back in time as a high school senior and talk to myself, I would have definately told myself the first day of school to start applying for scholarships. I would make sure that all information Shelton State needed was faxed over twice maybe even three times that way registration wouldn't have been so hectic! I would tell myself that there will be a life changing experience in April, where my dad will pass away, but to try my best not to distract that with my school. I would have never got matched with a random person at my apartment complex and i also would have chosen a different apartment. I would assure myself that not everything is what it seems, actually things are hardly ever what they seem. I would tell myself its going to be twice as hard as I think it's going to be. But knowing my stubborn self, it's not like i would listen either way.

Lacie

First, do not eat in the dining hall. The food is bad for you and even the "healthy" choices are full of fat. You will be less stressed if you keep your weight down and go to the gym. Second, get to know your teachers! They are your best friend when it comes to making the semester easier. Get into a study group of people with the same goals as you. If you study with people who do not have the same goals as you, they will lead you in the wrong direction. Third, you are no longer in highschool so stop talking about it. Its no longer cool to talk about how awesome you were in school. People don't care that you were homecoming queen or a cheer leader. Its college! Your highschool days are over, so make something of yourself in college. It is easy to spot a freshman by their highschool apparel. Finally, do any and all extra work that teachers give you. This goes back to getting to know your teachers but it is more than that. If you put forth the extra effort for them, they will put forth the extra effort for you.

If I could go back in time, the first thing I would tell myself is to not procrastinate about getting the important stuff done. I would have applied for scholarships when I should have. I would have already chosen my major, that way I would be on track to tranfere like I had planned. I would also tell myself not to put off doing my school work and studying, that way I would have a better GPA now rather than having to make up for it in a later semester.