Winchester, VA
Shenandoah University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Shenandoah University

Nigel

Out of my college experience, I have gotten so much from individual attention. Going to a smaller school and NOT being a number makes going to Shenandoah so worth the cost of going to college. I get better and better in my artistic abilities by the week as a result of such small classes. This has also facilitated the ability to bond very closely with my classmates, and the others in my program. My closest friends in the whole world are the fourteen people in my Musical Theatre class, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. And when we get out into the real world, the fact that we'll all be on the same level, in the same playing field, most likely in the same city makes it so much less nerve-wracking to graduate. The training I'm receiving behind my degree has absolutely been invaluable to me as a person.

The worst thing about my school is the division between the Conservatory and the rest of the students. The Conservatory students take almost all their classes in the two Conservatory buildings, and there isn't really much interaction between the two groups. Also, unfortunately as a result, the school is divided into the Conservatory students, the athletes, and if you don't fit in either, you're a bit stuck.

Someone shouldn't attend this school if they want the huge college life. If you want classes with 200 people, a big football game every weekend, and you want to skate by unnoticed, Shenandoah isn't for you. You shouldn't attend if you don't want personal attention, and if you don't want artistic and cultural education.

Michelle

I am returning to school to complete my bachelors degree after being gone from college for more then 15 years. I am a mother of three and I work two jobs. Going back to school gives me hope that after I complete my degree, I will find a higher paying job so I can provide a better life for my kids. And I know that as my children watch me attend college, I am setting the example for them of the value of a higer education. That alone will make all the hard work and the late nights worth the effort. But as for myself, I am doing well in school. I have A's in both of the classes I am taking, and that has done wonders for my self esteem. To know that I can tackle a difficult class like accounting despite everything else going on my life and do better then most of the kids fresh out of high school shows me that I have a lot to offer a future employer. I have wasted far too much time worrying about how to provide for my kids, but now I know nothing can stop me.

I cannot imagine anyone not fitting in at Shenandoah University. I have seen people from all walks of life at the school and have never seen any problems.

Being an older student returning to school, the most frustrating thing for me is to see how little the students right out of high school apprecaite the opportunity to even get a higher education. Most of the students in my classes don't complete their homework and don't study. They don't even pay attention in class. I can see most of them are texting during the lectures.

Monika

So far, I have only attended a very large public university, the University of Connecticut, and I have found that what I crave in my education is for my teacher to know my name and to be able to consider my student profile including a relationship I have with them. However, I know that it is going to be much different at Shenadoah, not only because a few people that I know have gone there, but because the sheer number of students at this university is a great deal smaller than at the University of Connecticut. I only wish that I could have known that going to a private university would make such a great difference. I would have skipped the "experience" that is Uconn and would have gone to this amazing school.

I wish I had known that it would be such a great place so I wouldn't be so worried about being lost in the crowd and advisors and teachers not having my best interests at heart.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who is looking for a very large university with a huge population of graduate students teaching extreamely competitve classes. This school is for someone who is looking for a small, involved community where everyone you pass in the hall will know your name.

Haley

Shenandoah University is a very diverse campus with an outstanding learning environment.

My classmates are the most friendly, outgoing people that I know.

Attending college has been a life changing experience. I have grown up and matured so much in the last year because that is what college forces you to do. Also, I have learned how to manage my time and the consequences of not managing it correctly. I know that attending college is a good decision for everyone, even if you hate school it is a good idea to go. When I am done with school I know I will be able to get a great job and get a start on my career. Without a college education my job options would be a lot less than with an education.

Lindsay

Shenandoah University is a perfect fit for me. I came from a small high school that was like a second family to me. Shenandoah is similar to my high school in that aspect. Our teachers here know us and we're not just another person in a huge lecture hall. Also, I love that the campus is small and I don't have to take a bus just to get to class. Shenandoah is unique because all of us that are here really feel like we belong and are wanted. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

By attending Shenandoah University, I've gained a sense of freedom and responsibility. I know that there are certain things I have to do to succeed. Also, that there are certain things that will be presented to me that can prevent me from succeeding. I've learned that college isn't what some people think it is, a time to party. It's really a place to grow into a responsible adult and learn to live on your own. I'm learning how to be the person I want to be and have the job I've alwasy dreamed of having. I want to be a music educator and Shenandoah University is the best place in the state to do so, especially since it is the only conservatory in the state of Virginia. I'm extremely grateful to be attending Shenandoah and I know that as long as I continue to work hard and push myself to succeed, I can accomplish so much here and continue to do so after I graduate.

I wish I had known more about where things were in Winchester though it was fun to drive around with friends and find new places to eat or shop. I wish I had known more people coming into the school. I only knew one other person who was coming here and no one else from my high school came to Shenandoah. The orientation over the summer before I moved in for the semester didn't help me meet many people. Everything worked out though and the people I've met here have been wonderful.

Mary

Talking to myself as a high school senior, I would probably tell myself that I need to really work on having better study habbits. I got in such a groove in high school, knowing how the teachers gave tests and graded that it was one of the hardest things for me when I got to college. There are so many more distractions around college than there were at home and you really need to know how to focus and get your work done. The only other thing that I would tell myself is to enjoy the time I have at home, moving away was also really hard for me, but now I'm better about it. Its still hard to go home and then have to leave, but I just look forward to my career and go for it!

I think that the size of the school is the best thing about it! The classes are small, typically under 25 people, and that way you can connect with your teacher. The teachers are amazing and are willing to meet with you and help you truly understand the material. With the campus being so small, you also meet a lot of people which is nice.

This school is very small-and so is Winchester. If you like being able to go out and find something to do immedialty its pretty hard to do here. Although there are a lot of things close by and many things offered at the school.

Emma

I really needed to know everything I know now about college and the transition from high school to college. The most important thing I would tell my high school senior self would be to work on as many scholarships as possible and to work very hard on the essays. The second thing I would advise is that being involved in extracuricular activties , if only for one year, is so vital to finding out what major you are looking towards. I would advise myself to get involved in my passion for acting with a whole heart and put my all into it. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to charish every second of highschool and to focus on school work and not all of the drama that comes with high school. But, scholarships are very important and not just for college but to help youself out in the future so you can work for a living and not work just to pay off loans. The last thing I would tell myself would be to really think about what I'm good and at and where I can go career wise with my talents.

The best thing about my school is all of the friendly faces and wonderful teachers. All of the students have a lot to offer, everything from sports to bussiness to acting and to nursing. The students here are very open to questions and convorsation. The teachers are very helpful to anyone that needs help with classes. The teachers are willing to help with your future career choices and what you can do to be successful. The classes are not very full as to help every student. Many students are willing to have study groupd and teach others in need willingly.

The kind of person perfect for my school are peope that like knowing everyone and like social groups. The people at my school are very nice and open. Someone open, for, or involved in the arts would be perfect for this school. Someone that like small classes and one on one convorsations with the teacher should attend my school. People that like flexible schedules and freedom when it comes to classes and social events would really enjoy my school. There are plenty of things to do on campus all of the time and everyone is open to helping new students!

Darius

I believe that I made a good transition. The only advice that I would give myself is to apply for more scholarships and grants. I was not aware of the financial challenges I would go through just to stay in school. I didn't realize all the sacrifices my mom had to make for me to get through only my freshmen year of college alone. I am now aware of all the different scholarships, such as for deceased parents, single parent students, minority, etc. Had I'd known about this stuff then, I would have been applied for as many scholarships as possile. The good thing is that I know now, and I will continue to look for as much help as possible.

Ivette

If i could talk to myself as a High school Senior, i would tell myself to NOT pocrastinate. Deadlines are very important and if you dont make it, you might not get what you want during the whole getting-into-college process. Giving yourself lots of time before a deadline is crucial. For example, FAFSA application, Scholarship Deadlines, College Application Deadlines and many more. I know I was organized through this whole process but i know i could have done it a little better. Having a planner is good and having a section to keep all important phone numbers. Keeping organized is Key.

The Best thing about Shenandoah University is that its a small school, but yet big at the same time. There are so many different schools like the Business School, Nursing, Teaching, The Conservatory Program (Music School), Arts and Sciences etc. Even though there are so many different schools, you are not flooded by thousands kids. Being that its a small school, you get to know people from all different typed of majors.

when we first moved in, it was still 90 degrees outside and the Air system was not up, so I was SWEATING ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT. I Wish Someone would Have told me to Bring in a Fan.

Brooke

Shenandoah is best known for it's business school, nursing program, and conservatory. Most of Shenandoah is composed of conservatory majors.

If I was given the oppurtunity to go back to high school I don't believe that there are not many things I would do differently. Maybe I would have visited the campus one or two more times to make sure it was the right fit, but the best advice I could give myself would be to open more to the people I meet. Upon arriving at Shenandoah I stayed to myself, I really did not act like the real me, which eventually led to problems with the friends I had made. They felt like I was a liar and they lost most of their trust in me because I was not really how I portrayed myself. After that incident I was very unhappy and almost transferred. Eventually I was able to make amends and explain my side of the story and why I acted the way I did, but if I would have just been the real me from the beginning, I never would have had to go through that horrible experience of having no one.

The worst thing about Shenandoah is probably the lack of things to do during the day or on the weekends. The campus is somewhat boring and because there usually aren't many activities going on we usually just sit in our dorms or go out and drink.

Shenandoah University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.