Winchester, VA
Shenandoah University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Shenandoah University

Rebecca

Small, comfortable, great education and helpful teachers

Small, comfortable, great education and helpful teachers

The number one thing I can think to tell others about chosing a college is visit the school. Places may look very nice in pictures but you can't be sure if it is right for you until you step foot on the campus and walk around. Another important thing I did that helped me greatly was writing a letter to the financial aid office explaining my personal situation and they were able to better help me to finance my education based on those circumstances.

everything i said before

Linda

As far as an enviornment, UIC is every close to downtown and there are many good resteraunts and places to hang out and enjoy yourself with friends.

The best advise I can offer for students and parents considering different colleges is to do their research. I think one mistake I made when I was selecting which college to apply to is not doing enough research on the schools I selected. The internet is truly a great tool for all sorts of research on any college. Aspects of a college that would be best to reaseach are student life, acedamics, professor to student ratios, test-scores of students accepted to graduate school. Also, the locale of a school is somewhat of importance in student life on campus. Both student and parent should make sure the school is trailored to both the needs and wants of the prospective student before applying to a certain college. A student should not try to tailor themselves to fit into the school but choose the right school that fits themself.

Very competitive, all pre-professional studies are extremely competitive because of the large amount of students who apply into each program each year. Students who are accepted not only have very solid GPA but also show a great deal of involvment in the UIC community and extracurriclar activities and volunteer work. Such students have to be very devoted to their future and very focused on their studies. Also, students who are accepted into pre-professional graduate schools often times have close relationships with a few facualty members and have recieved excellent recommendation letter from their professors.

Angie

My classmates are friendly and very responsive in class.

My classmates are friendly and very responsive in class.

I would say that just follow your heart in making a decision like this. Choose a college that would benefit you the most and enjoy your time time in college because you only live through it once.

I brag about how well I am doing in school and how proud I am of myself.

My school is very diverse with many different view points. Sometimes the people not in the conservatory feel left out by the school.

We have many athletes and conservatory students.

I would tell the student to look at the types of people that go to the school already and to make sure the faculty will be willing to help. To make the most of their experience they should become involved in many extracurricular activities and don't be afraid to speak up in class.

When looking for a college or university it is helpful to have some idea of what the student would like to do in the future, or at least what they are interested in. This helps to pick schools that have the major or minors that would be appealing to the student. It is also important to take into considersation the distance away from home. I think it is best to find something that is far enough away, but still close in case of home sickness. The size of the school is also important. Something too small can feel smothering, whereas something too big may make the student feel lost and alone. Once you find the school you think is best it is important to embrace the activites on campus. Participating as much as you can while still keep up with your schooling is the best way to get the most out of your college or university. You pay to go there, so take advantage of everything that they are giving you.

I wish I had known that there was not alot of affordable activities to do on the weekends and around the town.

The most frustrating thing has the be the lack of food choice and the cost to attend this university. The food options are limited on the meal plan, and there is not always something that a student wants to eat. As for the cost tuition is high, and I know that I wish I was getting more money seeing as how I will be in great debt when I get out.

Colleen

Pursue what you are really interested it, what you care about. Make sure you like the campus, if you can vsit the campus and like it in the rain, then you will like it in the sun. Go to the Welcome Week activities even if they seem silly, thats where you meet your friends. Go to class!! Even if there isn't an attendance policy, go, you wont learn if you don't go to class. Don't party to much, I'm not saying don't go, parties are an important social scene, but that doesn't mean you need to party every weekend. Get to know your roommate, and if you don't get along switch roommates. Don't go home to often, make college your new home.

I creative, artisticly based person.

Kimberly

My school is known for the conservatory program. However, the business school is growing very rapidly. I was in the Education department and although it was small, it was very supportive and challenging.

In order for the student and the parent to feel comfortable about the school that is chosen, I feel it is very important to visit these colleges and universties, even if you cannot get a tour guide, ou walking around the campus wil tell you a lot about the school. I personally visited 13 schools before I chose the school I actually attended. Some of the schools that looked amazing on paper gave my the wrong vibe when I walked around on the campus. This also gave me the opportunity to see how students interact on campus without it being 'staged.' Its very important to see a campus and talk to students who go there (even if all you do is ask where the restroom is or the cafeteria), you will stil get a vibe from the students.

I consider the academic support system to be the best thing at my former school. Between my academic advisors, my professors, and the friends in the classes, there are many people you can go to for help, questions, or just support for studying and reiteration of information.

Richard

The best fit for what I was looking for to continue my education.

The best fit for what I was looking for to continue my education.

A University that is in my home town that provides the education in music that I wanted.

Advice to parents is be supportive, ask questions, give advice but let the student make decisions on their own. Advoid giving lectures to the student and be willing to listen to student. Keep in touch with the student without smothering them. Be willing to let them grow and learn and most of all tell them you love them and you are proud of them often. Advice to students is take advantage of the time when you don't have major responsibilities of life and take as many classes as you can handle. Learn to schedule your time wisely and be responsible. Do your best in all things. If you say you will do something then follow through and do it. Give back to the community by helping others. Say thank you to your teachers and parents for there help and support. Call your parents to let them know how you are doing and tell them you love them. Also get a part time job and help earn some money to help with the expense of your education. Realize the sacrifice your parents have made so you are able to go to school. Balance is key when in college.

Shenandoah University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.