Shepherd University-Shepherdstown Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Shepherd University-Shepherdstown

aeslyn

I think Shepherd University is a wonderful. Everything I've ever heard about Shepherd has been amazing and just from my couple visits I think it is wonderful. I can't wait to start classes in the fall.

Tara

Get a Taste of Shepherd University Overall presentation- 6/10 Shepherd University is centered in a dainty, historic town called Shepherdstown located in West Virginia. While initially touring the campus from a car window, my first thought was, "wow, this town reminds me of an old book. Quiet, peaceful, yet interesting and captivating." Shepherd University is sauteed with elegance, and spiced with art sculptures, models, and paintings. The buildings where classes are held are sophisticated, and sprinkled with a taste of comfort to its students, faculty, and visitors. The dorms, however, deserve some work due to their bland appearance. Variety of Flavors-9.3/10 The variety of classes Shepherd offers are some of the most creative I have seen. Who wouldn't want to add spice to their day by joining a Swing dancing class as a one-credit option? In addition, this college offers a variety of "first-year experience classes" in order to allow incoming students to feel more welcomed to their new school. From Finance classes, to involved chemistry courses, Shepherd University allows students to develop many different skills, insights, and interests throughout the duration of their undergraduate career. Chef's Service and Politeness 6/10 The majority of the professors at this particular college are willing to work with the students in any way possible to aid them in success. Although it is impossible to find a place where everyone is pleased, on the same page, and compatible, Shepherd University is fairly close. This rating was only slightly above average due to personal experience with a couple of professors who did not seem to seek the students' best interest inside of the classroom. Other than a select few, the other professors that I have been introduced to are caring, compassionate, knowledgeable, experienced, patient, and positive. I believe it is important for professors to help the students succeed, but not act as the students' crutch throughout their time in that class. Guidance is necessary, and should come with reassurance. Shepherd University is also good about listening to the students' concerns and opinions in regards to professors who are failing to meet the college's standards. Overall Taste- 9/10 In conclusion, I love my college. I see Shepherd as a perfectly paved pathway for success. Although all institutions will have downfalls, Shepherd University seems to do an extraordinary job at listening to the concerns of the students, hiring great staff, keeping the campus clean, and allowing for bites of knowledge to pass through fully digested. Chewing the information may be rough at times, but if an issue arises, the great staff at SU will be sure to help you swallow what may seem impossible.

Maria

Shepherd is pretty nice overall. It's clean, it looks nice with all the plant life outdoors, there are lots of activities that are free for students, and the teachers know how to teach. The food could be a little better, but it's okay for what it is. I usually pack a lunch since I live off campus so I can't really judge it too much.

Ronnie

Shepherd University is a great place to learn and study at. The professors are available and more often than not excellent at their jobs. There are a variety of teaching styles among professors and there are opportunities to do studies. The studies and research have both student-led projects such as Capstones (graduation-projects) that aid in the development of students in general and faculty-led research based on the professors' preferences. There are many friendly people, the campus has plenty of greenery and there is much support to be found for students attending Shepherd from fraternities, Sororities, clubs and much more. The university is small enough for people to get to know each other while having enough people to still have everyone's business be kept to out of everyone's knowledge. Right next to Shepherd University is a variety of places to eat that are both chain and non-chain restaurants. Overall, Shepherd University is a fantastic place to go while being relatively cheaper than many larger colleges.

Marilyn

As s student at Shepherd University, I felt comfortable, welcome, and cared for. I feel that my education is the top priority at Shepherd University and I am grateful for the caring and compassionate professors and professionals at Shepherd. Overall, I believe Shepherd is a safe campus and a school built on learning. The academics at Shepherd University are top priority for the students. At Shepherd, I have never had a class over twenty-five students and one as few as six people. I have gotten to know many of my professors and they have all made an effort to learn the names of students and help them when they can. My advisor is very accessible, and the Advising Assistance Center is always available to help students with university issues like scheduling, financial aide, and other issues that may arise while being a college student. There are peer tutors for almost every class who are willing and able to help with any questions a student may have. Professors are always available for office hours and are kind and helpful. As a student at Shepherd University, I have no problem finding something to do on the weekends. While there are parties, a student at Shepherd can easily find some other activity to entertain them. Football season is a big activity in Shepherdstown, and all the local residents and students come out to support the team. There are many historical sites and parks around the school to travel to and spend the day at. Also, Shepherdstown is located four hours from New York City and ninety minutes from Baltimore and Washington, D. C. Shepherd University's Program Board organizes a Washington, D.C. free bus to transport students to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore periodically throughout the semester to allow students free transportation to the city and allow the students to do whatever they wish until they are picked up. There is also a forty dollar bus trip to New York City once a year to allow students to spend all day in NY. There are numerous activities all over Shepherd's campus from free donuts to free movies and bowling that can keep any student occupied, especially if they live on campus. I believe that the housing at Shepherd University is mediocre, but it does do the job. Shepherd University has four kinds of living on campus: regular dorm, suites, updated suites, and apartments. The regular dorms are split between the two sides of campus. On the east side of campus, the dorms are run down and lack air conditioning and maintenance. However, many of these dorms are being closed in the 2017-2018 school year to allow for renovation. On the West side, the dorms are nicer with air conditioning. Shepherd University recently built new suites called Potomac Place that has two bathrooms per one suite, and has split rooms between either two or four persons. This building is still in construction, but has classrooms, a dining hall, study rooms, computer labs, and common rooms for each floor. This suite living is drastically different from the older suites on campus. The classic suites on campus have a bathroom, a common area, and two bedrooms. The bedrooms are large and split between two people. These older suites are air conditioned and are relatively unsupervised. Some suites have different structures in the base floor, like the campus police station or the small grocery store and laundry room for the suites. The apartments are the farthest buildings on campus, and are made up of six shared rooms, two bathrooms, and a common area combined with a kitchen. Because of the limited and expensive housing in Shepherdstown, many people either live on campus or commute in from Martinsburg, which is about twenty minutes away. All laundry on campus is free, and there is a common room for every kind of dorm excluding the apartments. Food as a whole is not great, especially for someone who is a vegetarian or has a similar restriction. There are three places to eat on campus, and most make sandwiches. Overall, campus life in Shepherd University is relatively painless except for the food situation. Shepherd University is a public college that I highly recommend for its extraordinary collection of professors and administrative personnel. The campus life is entertaining and full of things to do no matter who you are. There are plenty of big cities around to make a weekend trip to or national parks to wander around in for the day. The facilities are adequate and there is plenty of housing to go around. I enjoy attending Shepherd University.

K

The academics are good and the town itself is great, but sometimes there are not enough classes offered or enough space in the one section of a required course. In spite of that, I love the school. I also love the atmosphere.

rita

I love Shepherd but it isn't for everyone. Shepherd is a liberal arts school with a small population nestled in a beautiful little town. I love the small class size and the professors, they always seem willing to help you and wanting to see you succeed. If you want a lively, crazy, always something happening, school- this isn't the place for you. If you want a place that you can focus on your school work and possibly go out on the weekend then this place may be a fit for you.

Kimberly

Shepherd is a small college in a small town, so expect smaller class sizes. Shepherd is a liberal arts school, with an emphasis on LIBERAL. They rank 8.3 on a scale of 1 to 10, so don't expect to get a balanced worldview at this college. I happen to be an Independent, and I'm bothered by the heavy slant. Expect to get some skewed history and the occasional slam against Capitalism, the United States and republican leaders in general. Its unfortunate that a balanced education is becoming more and more rare in American Universities. Some who have rated the college, here, seem to think that they were free to voice their opinions, but if you really aren't being taught both sides of the debate, how can you make an intelligent comment or give an intelligent answer to a question? Think about it.

Abigail

Looking forward to attending. I would reccommend this school to everyone. There was recently an upgrade in the Natural Sciences department and it is a good fit for people looking to go into medicine and especially good for those going into liberal arts.

Tori

It's a great school in a beautiful location! It just needs a bit of updating!

Tara

A strong school in a quaint historic town. Artsy, great athletic programs, close to New York and DC. People and community are strong. Close enough to metropolitan areas for post-graduate employment opportunities. I give Shepherd University and Shepherdstown, WV a 5-star rating!

Madison

Shepherd is an amazing school with great opportunities. I transferred to Shepherd University after attending a community college. The councilors and advisers have gone above and beyond to help me. The professors are always available and always willing to help when asked.

Michaela

If you're looking for a big party school, this isn't it. But if you're looking for a decent sized school with a lot of fun things to do, this may be the place. the atmosphere and academics are awesome. I look forward to coming to class. between basketball games and group activities, I always have something to do.

kat

The school is my home away from home. Family friendly with a huge heart for animals. Also, it is attached to downtown Shepherdstown so that gives a historical view of the town. You meet new people to help you grow. I appreciate the teachers that help the students to succeed in where they want to go. Even if some may not what is it. The experience of what is given to college students makes them feel like they wish high school was like college. If I am being honest again, I feel like I am draining my parents and other family members on what I am doing with my career where when I leave home, they’re going to be big debt that is going to be hard to pay off. I really want to earn a lot fo scholarship money to pay for my tuition and board for my stay at Shepherd University. I want to them to spend money on the bills and some supplies I am going to be needing for college. Plus with what I am being taught I know I can get towards my goals for my future.

Michaela

Shepherd University has wonderful English and Education programs. I am glad that I chose to transfer to Shepherd. With small class sizes and individual attention from professors, Shepherd is my favorite of the three colleges that I've attended. Professors want to see students succeed, no matter what.

Veronica

I truly love my school. The class sizes are very small, so there is a lot of personal communication between the professor and their students. While this is true, the school doesn't seem small. There is always something to do, whether it be an event on campus or hanging out with friends. I have met people I truly believe to be my best friends. I am involved in several clubs and I always find something to do with someone I know. I am so happy I chose Shepherd.

Kallie

It’s an amazing community, everyone is very family like and friendly. It’s been a great semester and first year here. My RA is amazingly supportive and we are all very accepting of everyone. And the art buildings are amazingly built and the staff and professors here are great and very willing to help.

Madalaine

I adore this school! It's my first year at college and my first time away from home and Shepherd has given me a new home and so many exciting experiences, such as my first solo-trip to NYC, and the professors are so kind and eager to help you in any way you need in order to succeed. The classes are relatively small, which allows for a more personal relationship with the instructors and fellow classmates.

Meghan

I am involved in the Music Department there and the community is so supportive. You can email the teachers whenever and they are willing to put the time as well as effort to see you succeed. The students involved are all connected and since the population is so small, everyone knows each other which I love. There are many student-led groups and many fraternities that you can be involved in. I believe this school was not only affordable but provides the essentials that I needed to thrive and become the best person I can be.

A

A little disorganized. The opportunities are decent but keep in mind that despite being a university, it is on the small side. Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to this. The main disadvantage is the price feels way too high for a small university and job opportunities are about average, meaning they have connections with local businesses but not much major ones.

Kasey

I love Shepherd University, and it is truly a connected place. There are some flaws, but overall, Shepherd is exactly where I want to be. The community is very tight, and it is definitely a place where people know each other in some way or another. It's a quaint little town that everyone needs to visit at least once.

Madeline

Shepherd University has a nice atmosphere and environment for all of their students. They have a lot of extracurricular activities for students to be involved in. There is something to be passionate about. Also, Shepherd University is always improving to fit the needs of their students.