Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania

Crystal

As a student at Shippensburg University, I can say it has been a very supportive and easy semester. My most favorite part about being a student at Ship is the help of staff and professors. The campus is averagely sized and there are just over 6,000 undergraduate students and it is easy to get a hold of the professors, they are extremely interactive with the students. My least favorite part about being at Shippensburg University is the tension the students. However, there are organizations such as the Multicultural Organization and Women and Gender Organizations that help minority and LBGTQ students with their personal lives and presence on campus.

Meghan

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Shippensburg University. Some found it to be too small, but I enjoyed seeing people I knew on campus regularly. I felt a sense of community because everything was in a smaller area. The professors were caring and the class sizes were reasonable. I was a member of the club rugby team, and the university supported us as we competed and won two national championships. They helped fund us even though we were not recognized as an official school sport. I loved my four years at Shippensburg and would go back in a heartbeat!

Shelby

I am currently a freshman at Shippensburg University and have almost completed my first semester of college. When choosing Shippensburg, I looked at many things but the main things were the education department, professors, housing and clubs. The education department here is amazing. I have had the change to help in an elementary school classroom and start learning what my future has to hold for me. My advisor is also from the education department and is very knowledgeable about what future teachers will need to know and experiences they should have before leaving. As much as I love to learn and take education classes that will help me later in life, Shippensburg requires the students to take lots of general education classes. As much as I thought these classes were pointless and I would never need this information they have expanded my knowledge and have made me think outside the box. The professors for all my classes understand that the students are just taking them because they need to so they teach around this fact and they are amazing at it. All my professors are available to help me out, willing to reexplain and reteach and help develop skills that we might not have learned in high school like time management, writing and citing papers and studying. After coming into college and meeting my professors and knew the education I was getting was what I wanted I started to reflect on living and social aspects of college. Living on the campus of Shippensburg University has been like living in a hotel for the past semester. I share a room and a bathroom with one other person and have control of the heating and air conditioning in our room. Before leaving for college I was worried about living away from home but I realized after getting here and getting used to it it’s worth the experience. The experience I have gotten has changed me because it made me responsible for making my own decisions, making my own schedule and cleaning up after myself. The living experience also expanded my knowledge of how to deal with others that have not grown up like I have. Meeting all new people and making a new group of friends was not easy but Shippensburg helped this easier by having many clubs and involvement activities for all groups of people. I have gotten really involved and have meant people that all have similar values. All these experiences I am building life skills that I will need once I get out of college and Shippensburg has really helped make this experience that much better. If I would have not come to Shippensburg University I truly don’t think I would have had the same opportunities and feel as part of the overall college community.

Jalen

I am a freshman and student athlete. My experience first semester was amazing. I enjoyed the classes with an average class size of 25 and in my bio lecture there were 70 students but our professor knew everyone. The university is supportive of student athletes and professors extend guidance. The campus food is average but that's expected in college. Overall I've had an excellent first semester and can't wait to go back.

Noa

This school is great once you get to meet new people. This school has a lot to do but they do not keep you up to date on things such as clubs and activities that you can join. If you are looking for a high tech school than this is not for you. The school has some new tech and equipment but it is not all equal. The buildings tend to be on the older side so keep that in mind especially during the extreme weather months. Like I said once you have friends to do things with you will have the time of your life.

Chase

Shippensburg University is a great school if you want a low-key town. Nothing too major is happening there and it is nice in some aspects but it does get boring at times. We are currently losing one of our two dining halls and students are not pleased with that. The dining hall they are taking away has more quality food. The dorms are very nice because you can get multiple packages and you can share with 1-2-3 roommate's. Each level has different amount of bathrooms which is nice. The overall setting of the campus is nice and the professors are usually always there to support you with your future endeavors. Overall, I gave this campus a 3/5 because there are negatives to it but, every college has their negatives.

Casey

Shippensburg University is perfect for you if you're looking for a small and close-knit community. I wouldn't say everyone knows everyone on campus, but you'll become close with people in your department, and your professors will always be tangible. On-campus housing is beautiful and newly renovated and off-campus is a good bang for your buck. There's not a crazy party culture, there are mostly small classes, and if you put yourself out there, you will enjoy your time here!

Joe

Shippensburg is a small town in the country, there's a few diners a tattoo parlor and anything else you'd imagine to find in small town, usa. The campus is smack dab in the middle of the town which makes it a college town. There is a few things outside of the campus to get into, but you have to travel 15-30Minutes to really explore. Everything is pretty small and orientated to benefit your scholar needs, my only complaint is the no skateboarding rule haha. Overall Shippensburg isn't a bad school, its the location, and the people you surround yourself with that make it hit or miss.

Dustin

This school is fucking garbage. I enrolled in the geoenvironmental program to learn about the planet and help change things. All of the professors preach oil and gas like they are lobbyists. Kurt Fuellhart is the worst professor in the department. He talks about drinking whisky and smoking weed, and refuses to answer emails. Perhaps it's because he's hitting the bottle too much. I dropped one of his shit classes and the school has no record of my withdraw. I received a F and tried to get it reversed. Apparently the school's computer systems have never had an error before. The problem with this was that because over a year had gone by, it was passed the appeal deadline. A deadline which has never been mentioned at any meeting from orientation to scheduling. I know because I go to ALL of them. I spoke with my advisor and was directed to the Dean, James Delle. The secretary kept giving me the run around and wouldn't let me meet with him until I finally had to threaten legal action. A meeting was setup and I went to meet with James. I sat out in the waiting room while he went 15 minutes past out meeting time talking with some people that were interested in investing money into the university. During the meeting James listened to everything I had to say and said that he could help me. At the end of the meeting he told me to send him an email requesting a grade appeal that he would forward to his superior. I did so and a week later to sent me an email stating, "Thank you for your follow up email. Your next step would be to discuss the situation with your department chair, Dr. Blewett, who can help you explore the possibilities of changing the grade." I already spoke with Dr. Blewett who also happens to be my advisor and I was sent you James fucking Delle! This is the typical run around bullshit I would expect from a company such as Comcast, but not a school I have accrued over $40,000 in debt to. If just goes to show that if money is involved, such as the Dean being 15 minutes late to our meeting, the school will listen to what you have to say. They will practically suck your dick to get you to join. If you have an issue though, they can't and won't be bothered. I have already informed my attorney, now for a second time, of how this school is being run and I have no problem costing the school as much money as possible to get my grade change for a class I withdrew from.

Bryauna

The campus within itself is everything a student could need from a college. The town is not known for much, the college speaks for itself with its academics and campus life. The environment is very relaxed and safe for all people of any backgrounds. The faculty ensures our safety and listens to what is said from the students. From the recreational services to the academic services on campus there is no other choice but Ship for me because Ship is it!

Jailah

Shippensburg is a nice place, but over time shows its true colors. There are plenty of cool, interesting people, and they all work hard to be diverse and accepting of others. The faculty, for the most part, is pretty nice and cool too, but the atmosphere is definitely tiring and it may put you off after a couple of weeks.

Camryn

Shippensburg University is an extremely open and diverse campus that offers many opportunities to every student. Shippensburg is a learning/living community that is open to high demand of learning along with student life. This campus has a wide variety of student involvement such as academics, athletics, art, music and so much more. Shippensburg also offers suitable living communities for all students, they have extremely up to date facilities. At Shippensburg one of their number one priorities is safety, they make sure that all students and teachers are protected at all times. They have safety boxes all over campus to make everyone on their campus to feel safe at all times. Among with the students at the campus the teaching staff and admission staff is extremely helpful in making sure that all students receive a full education to the best of their abilities. The academic buildings are also extremely up to date and make sure that all students have an equal ability to learn and succeed. I am beyond excited and over joyed in the fact that I will be attending a University focused on making students the best people they will ever be. I have committed to attend Shippensburg University in the fall of 2018 to further my academic and athletic swimming career. I will be studying Exercise Science and plan to achieve a Bachelor’s degree. I than plan to further my career and become an Occupational Therapist. I am super excited to be swimming under coach Verge and furthering my academic career.

After attending Ship for one semester, I fell in love with the overall campus experience. Most of my professors were available through office hours or email. I learned so much in 4 months. My professors cared about my success on a personal level and they all learned my name. The dining services on campus are very well maintained and there is plenty of variety. I was also impressed by the cleanliness of the outdoors part of campus. The maintenance team did a fabulous job keeping the campus clean and accessible. Every single professor and employee on campus cares about the well being of the students they serve and protect. I have never felt unsafe while on campus, and I know that the campus police will protect me without a doubt. I would highly recommend Shippensburg University to any recent high school graduate!

Kate

Shippensburg is a great school. I highly recommend it. The people are always nice and awesome to be around. You can always find a friendly face. Since the campus is small you usually know a lot of people. There are always things to do and o not there are plenty of close by cities.

Jonathon

I love everything about it. The campus is amazing and the atmosphere is stupendous. I will tell everyone how great it and how everyone should go there. The food is scrumptious and the activities are great. There is a lot to do there and I'm never bored. I recommend everyone should go there.

Sydney

I absolutely love this school. It feels like home, the second you walk on campus. Throughout my first semester here, I have met people who have given me a family away from home. I am so grateful for the social life this school has given me, as well as the academic standings. I am succeeding very well so far here at Ship and I cannot wait to continue my education here.

Aaron

As a current student of Shippensburg University I think that it is a great school. The facilities, faculty, and students make a comfortable environment to be around. It is in the middle of nowhere so there is not that much to do, however the on campus activities make it more easy to bare.

Shippensburg University is a good School, it is not a small school yet it is not a big school. it is just the perfect size campus. The resources on campus are wonderful, the dorms are really nice. but expensive. some students choose to live off campus after freshmen year. the professors for the most part are decent human beings.

Kylea

Shippensburg University is overall a very well developed school. My first visit I knew it was the school for me everyone was so happy and very welcoming. The school was fairly new and I like how up to date everything looked. When I started here my opinion on the school did not change it just got better. Everyone was so nice and it was easy for me to find my place here. The school was very diverse and offered tons of help when needed.

Maria

I love it here! I am part of the cross country and track team and it has made me feel very included! I have met the some of the most amazing people here! The campus and the surrounding area is beautiful! The class sizes are small and I get to know my teacher at a personal level. I highly recommend SHIP!

Christina

Shippensburg University is a very fun, loving, and close knit University. The campus is a decent sized college but everyone there is dedicated to their studies and constantly building relationships. Allowing for students to have the perfect experience with their college years!

Alliyah

At first my overall opinion was that I wasn't going to like this college, but after the second week going here in the Fall 2017 semester I found a college I truly love. I think I have a great opportunity to be involved a lot of campus and the class sizes are not that large. You are able to have a close relationship with faculty members and with students on campus. I'm glad to say I'm a Ship student who loves where they go to college.

Corissa

I chose Shippensburg because of the location, the size, and the people. When I visited in high school, I got such a good feeling about the school. I only applied to Shippensburg and worked as hard as I could to get in. They have so many different food options on campus and off, the bookstore has really good prices, and the advisors are so helpful.

Alexis

Shippensburg University is a great place for students that want small class sizes, but plenty of opportunities. Inside the classroom, students receive a great education from real professors that are interested in their subjects, instead of learning from a teaching assistant. There are also many academic opportunities from internships to student-faculty research. Outside of the classroom, there are over 150 clubs and organizations that students can be involved in throughout the week, whether it's Greek life or Quidditch. Overall, Shippensburg University is a small campus that provides various opportunities for students to get involved with peers and the community, allowing students to feel comfortable and at home.

Olivia

i attended new student orientation this past tuesday. it really feels like a huge family that is always having fun, but at the same time focusing on studies. i am sooooooooooo excited to start classes this fall semester!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Olivia

Alyssa

I love it here! I have had the opportunity to join clubs, Living Learning Communities, and make a ton of friends. Game days so far are my favorite days. I am a part of the marching band and it was the greatest decision I have ever made. Every professor I have met so far are very friendly too

RyAsia

Shippensburg University embodies the idea of diversity, comfortability, and familial values. It is my second year here and I have never felt more at home. It feels like an escape. It is located in the Cumberland Valley of Pennsylvania, surrounded by rural land, about 40 minutes from Harrisburg. This University is very resourceful and any problem you have can be attempted to be solved. The president is very accessible as she holds meeting sessions twice a month where you can voice all opinions. The library has everything from laptops you can check out, to a learning center where you can schedule appointments for tutoring. My favorite part is the convenient 24-hour computer lab with a printer. It has proven to be very convenient. My only downsides of this school include the location, but the school makes you feel at home! Many programs are held every single day to cease any boredom. I recommend this school to anyone looking for a welcoming setting.

Alexis

Recently, I went on a visit to Shippensburg University and loved it. The campus is clean, up to date, safe, and the perfect size for me, plus the dorms are also exactly what I want. Shippensburg has small class sizes which are a must for me. In addition, I am glad Shippensburg allows students to have the privilege of having their vehicle on campus. Ship accommodates all my wants and needs. The campus is incredible.

Nicholas

Shippensburg University is a relatively small college where you can get to know a lot of people. The campus is a great environment for freshman because of how personal everything is. Also, there are events almost every day that students can partake in, so there are no dry days. Lastly, the academics are substantial. The professors can potentially be very strict, but if you get easy professors, you’ll have a good time.

Savannah

I honestly think it's a really great school! I don'y have many complaints and I really love everything about it! The on campus housing is incredible and the food is very good! There are many different clubs and sports to participate in and everyone is very friendly and helpful. I feel like I'm getting a great education and the teachers are very nice and almost always available. I also feel very safe which is very important to me!

Kelliann

I chose Shippensburg because of the size of the campus, the fact it is not in a city, and because it started out as a school just for education. I love the environment Shippensburg has to offer, but the academics for the education program are disappointing. All the teachers don't have a clue what to teach or think we were taught more than reality. I also wish campus offered more healthy food options. I need food on the go and most of the food is not the best.

I love it here! The staff is great and is always willing to help. This was my first year on campus, but after completing the UNIV 101 course, which is a class to help accumulate freshmen, I felt so much better. I learned where to get help if I needed it and I made a lot of new friends. I would definitely recommend this college to any incoming freshmen or transfer students.

Dylan

I love the campus, people, and the classes, I’ve been on the campus many times and I can honestly say that Shippensburg is for me. The class sizes are nice and small, and there are tons of extra programs you can participate in like, art, theater, and music to name a few. I’m truly looking forward to be part of Shippensburg University

Nariyza

Shippensburg University is overall a good school, and has already provided me with some great opportunities during my first year experience. They people are nice, teachers are thoughtful and care for students, campus provides events all the time, etc. All things have room for improvement, but I can definitely say I am glad I chose to come here compared to some of the other schools I considered.

Nichole

I think Shippensburg University is a great school and I have recommended it to many current high schoolers. The campus has a great environment and everyone is so welcoming. The professors are great and always willing to help! I have never come across a time where I wanted to leave Ship!

Kenneth

It's a very cool experience and i hope to be a student there this fall. If i don't go into college then I might just go to trade school or into the Air Force. I know that the military can pay for schooling, but I don't want to join if I really don't have to.

Trynity

Shippensburg University is a good school, that has something for everyone! The professors I have had so far have always been willing to help us with just about anything we need! In the residence halls people don't really talk to one another unless they are roommates.

Alonnah

I will be definitely going in the fall. Everyone is so warm, the advisors check up on you. The place is so beautiful. Shippensburg has been my number one school choice. I was astonished when I was accepted I wanted to cry. I love how celebratory Shippensburg is. They send socks and little cards. They also sent a really sweet message to me for my birthday.

Tyonna

Shippensburg University is a very beautiful and quiet college. The campus is stunning and the students are very respectful and joyous. The campus room are to my liking, however the shower heads should be replaced and water pressure a bit more. The campus food was quite “dry” but edible. Sports on Campus is amazing to watch and I loved how the Students get super excited during events.

Taiyana

Shippensburg University is a beautiful campus. The atmosphere is wonderful, it’s a nice place to learn. I am a city girl, so adjusting to the farm life was different. Overall the campus is big but not to small. The number of students in the classes are about medium size. The professors and student tutors wants you to be successful.

Mallory

Shippensburg University is a campus with a lot of potential. The university is filled with variety in people, activities, majors, etc. The culture on campus is not a culture focused on people wanting to be together, but more of a forced bringing people together. Of course, there are those who want to be together, but part of the problems on campus stem from the issue of great variety, and not many really are empathetic and want to learn about and from one another. The university tries to bring people together and expand culture through different foods, festivals and activities. The dormitory styles are very functional in providing people space to exist with others. Overall, it is a beautiful campus with a new emergence of cultural convergence.

Autumn

My overall opinion of SU is that there is a lot of walking to each builds. The environment is very clean and nice. The classrooms are clean and not trashy at all; they are a good size for all the students to be in. The teachers and staff are always welcoming me.

Gabrielle

It’s a very nice slightly rural environment that I have actually grown up in. There is plenty events and activities to do on campus. Outside of campus, you have to travel a little bit. My major is in the arts and the professors are great. That being said all of my other professors were wonderful as well and very helpful.