Siena College Top Questions

Indigo

When I was younger I didn't have much motivation and it wasn't the norm to go to college, at least it didn't matter much. I would tell myself and show myself what I could do and really help me do it. I would help me send in scholarship essays and actually follow up on them with myself and keep myself trucking on. I'd push myself to learn math and actually try and retain it. I would make sure that I went to school and just told my so called friends to take a hike when they wanted to skip school. I know that now that I have been through all that, I've seen that it isn't where I want to be so I'd tell myself to not sell myself short and that alot of people start where I do and end up seeing a whole new worl they never imagined.

Cynthia

In high school, I was always involved with extracurricular activities while keeping my grades and my social life balanced. I was the "goodie two shoes" of my class. While all of my peers were out partying on weekends, I was at home, putting the final touches on our class' yearbook. I knew all of my hard work would pay off when I got into college. And so, I was accepted into Siena College's Class of 2015. If I could go back in time, I would say one major thing to my 18 year old self. "Don't lose sight of who you truly are." My college path was somewhat like a domino effect. I made foolish choices to party, just to fit in with my new group of "friends" and as a result, my academics suffered. I was never used to studying excessively to keep up, so I never thought to do so. I'm still trying to make up for my mistakes and my academic perfomance as an incoming Junior. I don't believe in regrets, so I think of this as a learning experience. One that could have been avoided, but one that has made me wiser.

Dear High School Senior Self, I know that you're exhausted and depressed due to the harsh circumstances at home, and thus ended up not trying very hard as I looked for ways to cope with what was happening. I would hug myself and say that although it is very hard, it is worth the effort of doing the best so that I could have received not a mediocre grade, but a great one. I would advise myself to study harder, and to listen to my mother more. After all, mothers DO know best! Try to be nice to mom, because she is going to a hard time, too. Talk to people. Make some friends! Just please, try to be happy and make the best of what you have. Because if you don't, you are going to regret it when you get into high school. All of the hard work pays off, and it's not just a cliche to say something like that. It's the truth. Don't do it for anyone other than yourself. You deserve it! One more thing: Don't forget to smile! It's contageous. Love, the future you.

Roger

Bryan, Your life awaits you. Before you are endless possibilities and many paths that you may take, but you can choose only one. Do not ignore your passion for life, but do not let that passion cause you to make rash decisions. The race before you is a marathon, not a sprint. Commit to your education today, that it does not embarrass you tomorrow. Practice patience in striving for life’s goals and don’t take yourself so seriously. If you choose to marry while in school, make sure you complete your original goal. Though it is difficult, strive to understand the consequences of your decisions as well as your actions. For in doing this, you may avoid many hardships or trials along the way. You have a great mind and great potential, but do not think too highly of yourself. In business, in life, and in ministry you must enjoy the journey and not focus solely on the destination. Develop strong relationships, for they will help you through the tough times. Finally, love yourself and serve others, in college and beyond, for the true meaning of life is not what you get, but what you give. Bryan

Anessa

The advice I would give myself is to be my own person and go after my own dreams. The reason I say this is because when an individual is unsure of what they want or what their purpose is in school, they tend to be more influenced by others and follow their peers' dreams instead of theirs. I would always advise myself to pursue my own career because in the end my success is going to depend on me.

brittany

I would tell myself to really focus. This isn't like high school, there aren't any teachers to hold your hand and make sure that you turn in your work and get good grades. College is a lot harder then high school. You have to be extremely motivated to get through all of the work.

Theresa

Be prepared for an adjustment with work. You are reading a chapter a night for every class. Get involved quickly because you meet more people and make a lot more friends. Faculty members will notice your invovlement and know you. College is not just about getting good grades, you are a real person and going somewhere in your life and starting a future. Study and take your time to understand information. Don't just do it to say it is done, actually absorb the information. Have fun!

Adderlin

College life is really different but it all depends on what you make of it. Always take advantage 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the oppotunities that doors open up for you. Always work deligently but enjoy what your first year has in store for you! Don't bring too much belongings it wont fit very well into your new room.

I would encourage myself to study harder for the SATs and expand my horizons in my college search. There are great schools throughout the country that I could have potentially been accepted to if I had just applied. I would have encouraged myself to take a risk and go away to school instead of living close to home.

Knowing what I now know, I would give myself a little advice to better prepare. First, I would tell myself to calm down a little. It’s not as scary as it may seem. Make sure, though, to always do your reading assignments, and never forget to study for any quizzes or tests. One disappointing grade could hurt you down the road, but it’s not the end of the world. Another thing for when you get to college: get involved, meet people. It’s hard to make friends at first, but joining clubs or other extra-curricular activities can lead you to people who have the same interests as you. These people that you meet are one of a kind and the friendships can lead to life-long friendships. There is no true way to be totally ready for everything all the time, but just do your best. Stay organized. Even if something doesn’t go just the way you would have liked, you can make up for it; learn from your mistakes and try your best to not make them again. Enjoy class (even the boring lectures) and friends. Most of all just enjoy the overall college experience.

gissell

Visit the colleges more than once and visit during non-orientation. During orientation colleges tend to look their best, put out the best food, seem friendly and helpful however, in all reality this would not be the case for long. Go on facebook and see what current students are saying. Also, if you do not like a school there are always options, follow your heart but also your future. if a school does not have what you want to major in transfer while its early. Always remember how you were but also have room to change your views. Open your mind, college is suppoused to be one of the best four years of your life. Do not feel obligated to be in any school. Your happiness is pivotal.

College has truly been an experience that has allowed me to grow and mature as an individual. Far from overprotective parents, nightly curfews, homemade meals, and familiar faces; college was a fresh start and a chance to prove myself. College is the chance to begin the rest of one's life as an adult, as a respected and mature individual. Fending for oneself is not always easy yet the rewards of learning to take care of oneself prove beneficial for a lifetime. I feel more prepared than ever to be respondible for where I live, where I work, what I eat, and who I associate with. All of these factors will be taken into account when I attempt to make a life for myself. I will be able to find a job, own my own house, and support a family throught the skills I have taken from college. No where else can prepare you for the beginning of the rest of your life. Living on campus at Siena College has allowed me to acquire the skills I will use to make a successful life for myself; it has been a truly valuable experience.

Sarina

I've become a more open minded and hard working individual. I can appreciate diversity and unfamiliar surroundings. I'm no longer afraid of change and can embrace any adversity that comes my way. I had to learn the hard way not everyone that smiles in your face is a friend. It's hard to let things (habits) and people go, but I found that I had to do so in order to grow. Attending Siena was valuable to me because had I not I would be a completely different person. I would not have met my best friends or made the connections with some of my professors. I think my life would not be the same!

Tariq

Born in Afghanistan, I did not know what higher education was let alone the fact the I might one day be the reciepint of higher education at one of the best schools ever. At the age of 12, I moved to the city of Albany New York, where I eventually attended high school. My counselor in highschool introduced me to schools who were offering need based programs for students interested in higher education. From there I filled out my applications to the colleges, one of them being Siena College, the school which I eventaully decided to attend. Attending a school like Siena college would have been a dream come true for any student, let alone some one who had come from as far away as I had. I decided to major in biology with the hopes of persuing a career in the health field. It was during my four years at Siena College, that I learned to recognise my self , my abilities and learn to be a leader. It was here at Siena College, that I learned to be a critical thinker, to ask the right questions and to challenge my self and others about the status quo.

JOY

I began my collegiate journey in the spring of 2002 at the University of the District of Columbia (UDC). After completing three semesters there, my journey was curtailed due to illness. Upon completion of my convelescence, I did not return to college. Instead, I went to work at a Christian School. It was there that I realized exactly how much I had recieved from my three semesters at UDC. I became a teacher's aid in an English class. I assisted in teaching and tutoring children from ages 8 to 18. At UDC, I took three English courses where I learned how to effectively write essays and research papers. Because of this, I was able to teach middle and high school age pupils such writing stragegies. One student who spent four years under my tutelage started college last fall. She mastered the essay portion on the SAT and on the placement exam at Bowie State University. Additionally, she has passed each of her writing classes with an "A." Attending UDC has helped me find something that I enjoy and am good at. I plan to resume college this fall as an English major while continuing to teach writing strategies.

melissa

I am a single mother of two wonderful children. I decided to go back to school when I became unemployed after ten years of working for the same company. When I started school I had no idea what I was about to do, all I knew is that I needed to provide for my children and with a higher education that might be possible. I have worked very hard at getting the most out of my experience. I will be graduating in October at the top of my class with a 4.0 GPA. After I graduate I will be doing a bridge program for my degree. I have plans to continue my education even father from there. I am unsure how I will pay for the loans I have acquired and in the next few years my oldest will be in College himself. A scholarship might not seem like much to some but, to me it is that much more of an opportunity I can give my children to continue their educations as well. I will be the first generation of my family to have a degree. I would like for my oldest son to become the second.

Out of my college experience I have gotten a solid education in science. Aside from academics, I have gotten an invaluable cultural experience by traveling abroad. It was valuable to attend because not only did I receive a great education, I have taken many lessons away with me that I will use the rest of my life. From attending Siena I have remained career focused and motivated. However, I have learned that I can take my time and enjoy the ride to get to where I want to be in my career.

Work hard in high school to prepare yourself for the future.

Ridge

Hey Ridge, This is you, from the future, as a junior in college. You're a senior in high school now, almost done. High school is one of the most amazing times of your life. I know you are stuggling with your college decision but I'm pretty confident you are going to excel whereever you go. Some advice for you: listen to Mom, shes knows what shes talking about and sometimes points things out to you that havent been noticed; take a harder look into ROTC, its a great group of people and the experiences you will have are unprecedented in your life; when looking at Colleges, make sure you know what you want and dont be afraid to ask questions when you first start- dont want to get stuck behind; lastly, don't be afraid to move on. Yeah, High school was great and you were popular and all- but college is a whole new start, a whole new opportunity to grow and learn about yourself. I just want you to remember to have fun, make friends, and do your best to achieve the highest standard set. Good luck, I know you will make the right decision. -Ridge

Sit back, relax, and take a deep breath. I know your nervous but whats ahead of you will be the best years of your life. Just remember to be yourself and people who are worth it will accept you for who you are. I know you will miss your friends from home but this is an experience that can never be replaced. This is your chance to go out now and become the woman you want to be in life. Work hard, play hard but never forget the work part, and you will succeed. The only way to grow from where you are at now is to step out of your comfort zone. Take this oppertunity to get a fresh start. Be the person you want to be. Do the things you've always wanted to do but never got around to . GET INVOLVED!! Don't be affraid this is your chance....

If given this opportunity, I would first evaluate how I have changed since high school. Taking this into consideration I would inform my past self of this change and make sure that I chose colleges based on where I was going, not where I was at as a senior. With this information I would know that my transition was much easier than expected. Therefore, I would not be nearly as anxious and would have registered for an additional class my first semester. So much emphasis is placed on what a major change it is from high school to college, but personally I think that resources and academic programs should be focused on more. The best thing for a transitioning student is to have specific goals, such as a 4.0 gpa or joining x amount of clubs to become involved. This is what will provide the best and most painless transition to college possible.

Ciara

I would remind myself to be open to everyone and everyone's beliefs. College is entering the real world and there are new people to meet and new things to experience. Also, try everything and experience as much as you can. Remember your friends, family and where you came from but remember you are venturing out on your own life and have to live being you. Don't give up so easily and most importantly college isn't a breeze like high school. In high school I didn't have to work hard to do well but in college I learned the hard way, you must invest something to receive something. Put a lot of work into something and you will definitly gain something. Good Luck!! be you !

Go to a larger school that is more like you.

Traci

Visit many schools. Even when you fall in love with one campus, continue to visit and pursue other ones.

For students, I would suggest going to visit every college that you may have an interest in. Stay overnight, go on a tour, and talk to the students, not just the admissions counselors. Then think, "Could I really see myself here for four years?" Go somewhere that you think you'll enjoy as well as fit in with the community, whether it be big or small, close to home or far away. Interaction with the school is the best way to know whether you'll enjoy your experience, so don't be afraid to ask questions and visit frequently; not only does it make you look more interested and qualified, but it better prepares you for the transition from high school into college.

Cayla

It's possible to receive a good education from most schools nowadays. The memories you take from that school are much more important. So if you're worried about financial costs or distance from home, just rely on your gut instincts. Do you feel at home while walking the campus grounds, or while speaking to students and faculty? Then you should strongly consider attending that college. While it is important to study hard and gain experience for the "real world," the college world is one you will never forget. Make the most of it!

gabrielle

For parents and students, when searching for the right college, find the one that best suits you. The one that you feel like your at home at. When going to college, you want to feel safe, welcomed and comfortable. After finding the college you feel all three characteristics at, make the most of your time there. Remember you onle have 4 years there and those will be the best 4 years of your life. Also, take full advantage of all the resources provided by the college and as well as networking with faculty, staff, and alumni because you never know when those people can help in the future.

Go and visit the school beforehand. Ask other students who are attending what the school/classes are like.

Visit and spend a night at the college, talk to seniors that go there

Advice I would give parents and students when chosing and attending college is simple: find out what resources are available and take advantage of them. Everything at a college is there for the students' advantage. Every person at a college has the best interest of students at heart. So, my advice is to use everything and everyone available to students. When searching for the best college, it is important to pay close attention to exactly what is available to students. Had it not been for the plethora of resources available to me, I certainly would not have had the same wonderful, character building college experience. Of which type of resources am I speaking? The very most important resource available to students is approachable and knowledgeable professors. Other resources include a career center, a counseling center, academic advisors, a writing center, tutoring, a study abroad program to name a few. I have used every single one of these mentioned resources at my school, Siena College. I cannot stress the importance of finding out about and taking advantage of resources available to a student entering college. For it is true that a person will never again have so much available to succeed.

Look around

Never let your parents' impose ideas as to where they want or what you to be. Definitely visit the college and always have a back up plan.

VISIT A LOT OF SCHOOLS

Make sure your kid is happy with the ENTIRE atmosphere, not just the academics. They will have to live there as well as go to school there.

In order to find the right college, the prospective student must know what he or she is looking for in a school. Make a list of general characteristics that seem essential for success. For example, if small classes are more conducive to learning for this student, write 'small classes' on the list. After doing this, use a resource like Princeton Review or College Board to search schools by specific attributes and locations to visit. I would suggest looking at one school that does NOT fit the student's criteria. For instance, if he or she wants to attend a small liberal arts college, pay a quick visit to a larger state university just to be sure that this really is not the kind of school he or she is looking for. It might happen that students will enroll in their small school only to find that they feel stifled by the size. Conversely, students might arrive at a large university to discover that they are overwhelmed by the bustle of students. Once students have picked the right school for them, making the most of it comes easily. Time management - balancing studies with socialization - is essential to an enjoyable college experience.

Jeneeta

You and your child should compromise. Work together to find out what is the best choice in terms of academics, distance, cost, and size.

robyn

Choose a school that will make you happy and that you can afford. Make sure the students at the college are similar to the people you get along with.

Visit the campus and make sure you like it. Also look into the program in which you plan to study.

Plan ahead! Figure out your future plans and goals before you select a college. If you are going to transfer schools, many credits may not transfer. Not only do you waste your time, but you waste your money. It is also helpful to select which courses you are going to take even as early as your freshman year. Also, facebook is a college networking tool. Try to get in touch with some upperclassmen that are in your major. They can help you in many ways. Not only can they tell you the best party places, but they will tell you the better professors, which classes to take, mistakes they made so that you will not do the same. Remember, history unlearned is bound to repeat itself. There is no reason to have to make your own mistakes when you can learn from someone elses. And FINALLY, listen to people. The teachers are there to help you. You friends are there to care for you. And your parents are there to give you advice. When you are doing something, it is easy to get caught up in it. Outsiders can give you a different perspective that isn't clouded with emotions.

choose a college that focuses on teaching more than just academics, but also teaches life skills. Also choose a college with a lot of options for education, the bulk of students will go to school thinking they want to do one thing and leave doing another.

caroline

It's a lot like falling in love. It clicks, and you know that it's right. Then it proves itself by sustaining that feeling of belonging every single day - through better and worse.

Visit the college, if the college has a stay over program do it. talk to students they will be very truthfull about their school!

Pick a school that makes you feel most comfortable. Don't let anyone else pressure you.

meredith

Join clubs and extracurricular activities

Think deeply about what you want - and then go look around. If a college feels right, listen to your instinct. When you finally make your choice and get there, take advantage of every opportunitiy, try new things, and embrace every experience.

visit the college beforehand and talk to the students there

Visit the school, talk to people who attend the school, take a tour. Make sure that this is where you child wants to go. Take your time in deciding, it is an important decision. Consider and weigh all options: campus, size, environment, location, distance from home, financial aid being offered, campus activities, housing, etc.

Shane

Go some place that is not too big and is fairly close to home.

Natalee

Always visit the colleges your kids want to apply to. Talk to faculty, staff and students about the campus. Most of all, have fun and make friends!

The one piece of advice that I would give to parents and students about college is that there is a school out there for everyone. It is important to know yourself and what makes you happy, and choose a school based on that. Don't pick it because you have friends going there, don't pick it because you know it's a party school, and don't pick it because you are a legacy. Pick somewhere that you think you will feel comfortable, because you are going to be spending the next four years there, four years which will shape the person you come to be. Be friendly and open to meeting new people and experiences. The friends I have made in college will be my friends for life, and we are such an eclectic group. If I met them in high school, I probably never would have spoken to them. However, we each have our own personalities and experiences, and when we come together, the dynamic between us is electric. Lastly, go to class and keep up on your school work, but most importantly don't forget to have fun. The work never ends, but college does...