Rocklin, CA
Sierra College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sierra College

Amy

My school is unique because hundreds of people across the world want to come to be educated here, and I have access to it as though it were in my backyard. It offers a broad scope of education without being overtly expensive. The students and the professors here are kind, supportive, imaginative, and innovative. Students at Sierra College are often looking for a second chance and as a result, are very focussed, positive, and determined. They work hard for everything they have, which is not something I consider common to all schools. Students at Sierra College succeed.

Do not ever feel ashamed about where you decide to educate yourself. You are one of the few who has chosen this path and you should feel confident and proud. It is not as important to consider what your school can do for your education; it is most important to consider what you can do for your education. You will achieve whatever you believe you can achieve, regardless of where you are. In high school, where you go to college is more important than how you educate yourself. Do not let yourself get sucked into the need to attend the most expensive and most prestigious school if that is not where you really want to go. Instead, consider every place and every person an opportunity: an opportunity for discovery, for friendship, for learning. You will get out of your education what you put into it and although that sounds like a lot of misdirected work, it is actually a lot of fun and very rewarding. You are the innovation of the future. So let yourself be comfortable and allow your mind to imagine. That is what college is truly for.

A person who should not attend this school is someone who thinks that fraternities and sororitites are very important. If they value their socio-economic status and think they should be treated special because of it, then they should not attend here. Students who want to do lots of research alongside their professors, who expect to meet lots of guest speakers from big companies, and students who care to excell in liberal arts may not want to attend here.

Miranda

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self I would have told myself to be more excited. College is so much better than highschool. Almost every class you will take is only for one semester, making the year as a whole seem more fresh and productive. I would have told my past self that a two or three hour class in college feels like the one hour class in highschool but better. The professors actually want you to pass the class instead of failing and will therefore give out more challenging homework assingments that make the tests seem easy. I would definately tell mself to network with classmates so I have other people to got to for help with classes if I ever needed it. The last thing I would tell myself is to apply for more scholarships, college is expensive, even at a community college. After paying for classes, books and materials, you are quickly left with a very big hole in your wallet. Use your smarts to earn the money that people are giving away to people like you!

I wish I knew how much college is not like highschool, its so much better! Classes are only two days at a time, not everyday. The professors are truely caring of their students, and are willing to help and give advice. The campus is very laid back and relaxing, making it a perfect place to go anywhere and find the needed peace to study. The professors are very effective in making all of their class time with students a productive time, for teaching and fully preparing thier students for assignments and tests.

The most frustrating thing about Sierra College ( Grass Valley) is the food. Most food on campus is not nutritionally up to code. The campus is infested with vending machines spitting out sodas that have enough sugar to last you a week, and bags of chips and candy. The cafateria has some alright meals, but many of them are meat and bread based meals, perfect for metabolisim crashes. You could argue that students could bring healthy lunches with them everyday, but most won't do that. As horrible as the food on campus is, it's fast, cheap, and convienent.

Nathan

A school where people make the most of what they are offered.

A school where people make the most of what they are offered.

I would tell my high school self to remain focus on the important things in life and not get carried away by all the meaningless things that life throws my way. In college, I feel like I'm in the real world, I'm an adult now, my actions have consequences yet from some time to time I still pretend like I live in my own little utopia. I'm getting older every day, which means I need to take life more seriously and not just have fun all day.

The lack of parking, the school is located on numerous hills, so there are not enough parking spots for all the students so many students have to walk many blocks to get to school.

Chelsea

Sierra College is a wonderful learning enviroment with many amazing and dedicated professors who will do anything to make sure you are successful.

If I was allowed the opportunity to travel back in time to talk to myself as a senior in high school I would make sure to give advice on getting involved in school and making sure to take the opportunities offered to me, but I would not only give the 'traditional' college advice. The most important thing I wish I would have known when I was 17 is that, even though I am only one person, I have the power to change the world and I should go out in the world and do everything I possibly can to make it a better and more peaceful place for everone.

Sierra College lacks diversity. The school is mainly caucasian and middle class, becasue of this students are not able to learn from those who have a diffrent background (both racially ,politically, and socio-economically).

Alex

Sierra College is unique in it's mentality. I can count on all my professors to expect great work. When you are on campus you can feel that everyone has the same purpose: to do well. Most of the professors I've had know how to get you performing at your best and it is an incredibly rewarding feeling. You know that you have to work for your grades at Sierra College; but you also know you can do it every step of the way.

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior there are several things I would tell myself. The key to succeeding in college is three-fold: 1) always follow your dream, 2) never stop pushing yourself, and 3) relax. It is important to remember that these are the years that will define who you will be for the rest of your life. If you are worried now about what people will say or how you will be looked at you are handicapping yourself. The great people in history had dreams, and they were laughed at; what made them great, is they didn't care. Secondly, you are always capable of more things than you think you are. If you stop pushing you will never really find out how far you can go in life. Finally, whether you thrive under pressure or crack under pressure, if you don't find a way to relax while in college you will burn out. Always appropriate your time between the things you need to do and the things you want to do so that you never get too overwhelmed and you remain happy to be there.

The best things about attending Sierra College is you get a University education for a fraction of the cost. If you seek the right help, there is always someone to help you get as much done as possible before transferring to a 4-year. I am also proud to be a Wolverine because we are the number one community college in california (number three in the country) with successful transfer students. Finally, you get a feel for what "college-life" is like a little more slowly. Without the HUGE culture shock right away, you are more likely to succeed.

Ryan

Dear Ryan, As you get ready to graduate, I have a few words of advice. First, apply early to both Texas A&M and OU. If you apply to A&M too late, despite your SAT and academic standing, they will not accept you. Choose wisely between the two schools. A&M has the Corps of Cadets and the tools to help you study. OU is a great school, too, but you will have to be self-motivated. Don't treat college like high school, or else you will find yourself failing miserably and end up back home at a junior college. Also, major in what YOU want, not what you think the Navy wants. Astrophysics may sound awesome, but face it: you are not a scientist. Stick to General Weber's advice and major in Business Administration like you want. After all, the Navy just wants to see any baccalaureate degree for a commission, they aren't terribly picky about the field of study--especially since you don't want to enter a high-scientific field. Finally, apply for student loans EARLY. It is a pain in the neck when you put it off too long. Sincerely, Future Ryan

The best thing about Sierra College is it's affordability and convenience factor. My entire tuition and fees for the spring semester as a full-time student is $360. It is also just 6 miles from my house. I am able to leave my house on my motorcycle 25 minutes before class, and still arrive before class starts. Because of the short commute, I am able to have more hours of availability for my job.

Somebody that wants the true college experience, such as dorm life. Sierra is great for getting your general education completed at a fraction of a fraction of the cost of a university. The trade-off, however, is that most students will still be residing at home, and college will feel like High School: Part Two. Those that want to have crazy college stories or are not on a tight budget are better off going to a University.

Matthew

I would tell my high-school-senior-self to go away to school rather than stay local. Living in the dorms and experiencing dorm-life is something I feel that I truly missed out on. I feel like having a roommate and having to adapt to living with someone is a vital experience that new college students should seek. I lived at home for my first two years of college and I know that I would have met so many more people had I gone away and lived in a dorm. Granted, I saved a lot of money by living at home. However, the life experiences gained from experiencing living with other students and meeting new people far outweighs the extra costs necessary in order to live on campus. The advice I would give my past self and any other high school senior would be to go away and gain important life experiences which can be done by living in a dorm.

Nicolette

After some reflection I would advise myself that I should experment more with the classes provided for me at my high school in order to find my passion, if I had the opportunity to go back in time and guide myself. College is expensive and the price for books and materials almost seems exorbitant. To be undecided and in a experimental mood as a college student is borderline wasteful. Following a plan and experimenting with classes that are linked with a desired field can save a student's time, money, and wasted emotion. Plus, switching a major from undecided to something definite can mismanage the student's process to success. Being unclear about the future is very costly. I wish I would have known that and experimented in high school.

I wish I would have known how valuable volunteer work is considered overall. Being a volunteer worker gives learners important and usually an unforgettable experience and establishes a well defined character to people that will be judging job hunters. If I had done more volunteer work I strongly believe that I would have easier access to my prospective career and people would believe me to have merit in my character. It is also just a wonderful way to oblige your civic duty. In my high school I mainly involved myself with academic work and focused less on bettering myself.

Sierra College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.