Rocklin, CA
Sierra College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sierra College

Heather

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior with the knowledge I have now, the best advice I could give myself would be to come prepared. I would tell my past self make sure to look into what schools you would like to transfer to and look into the general requirements needed for those schools. If you attend a Junior College before a University not all courses are transferable, and not knowing which transfer may cause you to have to retake some courses. I would also tell myself that taking general education classes at a Junior college can be cheaper and easier. Taking a variety of courses at a Junior College can also help you when deciding what to major in. I would also advise my past self that it is easy to fall behind. It can seem harmless to miss a few classes to hang out with new friends, but falling behind in a class can happen quickly. College is a lot of fun but you need to be sure to set aside time to study and do homework.

I wish I had known which school I wanted to transfer to. It would have made it easier to pick the right classes and made it easier to transfer. Some classes offered at Sierra College do not transfer to other schools and knowing which shcool I was transfering to would have allowed me to meet thier requirements.

The most frustrating thing about Sierra College for me is the limited medical classes offered. They offer a nursing program that is on a lottery system and EMT courses, but no paramedic program.

Jordan

The advice I would give myself as a senior in high school while making the transition to college would be, "Focus. Study. Relax." Focusing is a key aspect in that you have so much more freedom in college and your work and grades are strictly based upon your motivation to complete work. In the beginning, I was so overwhelmed with the differences in college that I lost focus several times, and that affected me greatly. Studying needs to be a most practiced ritual as you cannot just expect to pass a test or surprise quiz off of things you read through once. When you study and begin to remember, it will serve you later down the road; during finals in the same class, in an advancing class, and later towards a career. Relaxing is vital in that a student will get stressed no matter what, and small breaks are needed in between homework. Whether it is taking a bubble bath to sooth your nerves or going to a party, a student needs to relax in whichever way suites them. Strictly school and no play only ticks a toll on the student and holds them back from their true potential.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend Sierra are people who like to smoke or do drugs. Just recently, Sierra College has turned into a smoke-free campus, and the Rocklin Police are the campus security who are always busting many students for drug sales. Many people who smoke have changed schools or quite smoking. Furthermore, the contract Sierra has made with the Rocklin Police department has been significantly extended and increased, so more people who use and sell illegal substances will be caught, cited, and possibly expelled. The same goes for those who smoke on campus now.

Honestly, I would tell myself to choose my classes wisely. I would inform my past self to find my passion and pursue it indefinitely. As a result, I would take only the classes which pertain to my major. This would save me time and energy by not taking an unnecessary class. I know this answer is simple and short, but it is the truth; and I believe that truth is the single most significant and powerful characteristic held in Homo sapiens.

Anybody can attend my school. Sierra College does not discriminate against race, age, size, disability, or social status. The type of person who should attend my school is the person who wants to learn the most. If a well educated person chose to take classes at my school, it would not be a challenge for them. If a student who was open minded and eager to learn new concepts attended my school, then they would benefit the most from being there.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the process of adding classes. It is challenging because there are many students who want to be enrolled in a class without previously registering. It is hard on the teacher because he or she must choose who to add into the class over another. This results in students not being able to take the classes they prefer. The solution to this problem is to register online for classes before the final deadline, so that the preferred classes will still be available.

Brett

Knowledge is one of the most valuable things in this world. All that any person needs to do to gain knowledge is to listen with an open mind. To be able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior would give me some essential advice that I wish I would have had. First, I would tell myself to reach for the stars and apply for colleges that seem out of reach. To apply and be rejected is more gratifying than not applying at all. Instead of doing this, I settled for junior college and took the easy way out by skipping the application process. Little did I know, the hardest task of applying to four year universities is the transfer process. As a senior, I would advise myself to apply for all of the colleges I possibly could. Another tip that I would give myself would be to start the research process much earlier. Research financial aid, scholarships, and different schools as early as possible for the greatest fighting chance. Knowing my plan of attack and staying organized would have helped me immensely. College is not easy, so being prepared is the key.

The worst part about my school is the fact that funding is low. I especially notice the cuts in funding because I am on the swim team. Many of the classrooms need updated technology, but the school simply cannot afford it at the moment. I feel that this situation will work itself out in time, but for now it is quite inconvenient.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of school pride. I understand that Sierra College is a community college, but there is no excuse not to respect the campus. People feel that it is ok to graffiti the bathrooms and leave their trash all over campus. On the up side, the campus is becoming smoke-free in January of 2010. I feel that students should have a bit more pride for their school.

Kenji

I would say take the classes one by one. Dont get overwhelmed and lazy. Keep up with work and try. Never give up.

Very very good mechatronics program. One of the best in the country

Parking is always horrible, its always hard to find somewhere to park.

Kaitlyn

I would say that Sierra College has a diverse campus. It's full of students from all different ethnic and culutral backgrounds. The school is functional not just for young students but for the ones returning to restart their education. I like how the campus is not big and confusing; I can get from class to class with out being late or getting lost.

I would tell myself to never give up. There will be times when you want to but hold on strong and keep pushing forward. I would also tell myself to be more prepared for challenges. If I could go back I would have applied for more scholarships but since I was not prepared most of the financial opportunities slipped by me. I would also tell myself to study, study, study. While in college I have been able to maintain a 3.5 GPA but my studying habits could be improved. I would tell myself to procrastinate less and prepare more. Also to enjoy college life by interacting in more campus activities and engaging in more group functions. I think the last thing I would tell myself is to enjoy college even though it may seem like the worst thing in the world at times. College passes by too quickly and if you don't enjoy it, you'll miss out on some great memories.

I tend to brag about the teachers. At Sierra College the teaching staff is dedicated to helping the students succeed to their full potential. If I was struggleing in a class my teachers were always willing to help me before, during, or after class with whatever problems I had. If I ever felt that I was graded poorly on an assignment, my teachers were willing to discuss the problem and come to a fair descision. The teachers have a professional manner yet they are still able to relate with their students that allows for greater success in the classroom.

Jasmine

Sierra College is a good stepping stone toward a university, and provides a great environment for learning.

High school seems to be more about what you do than what you know. At that point you could easily get by learning nothing, but doing all of the work. In college it is the exact opposite. Most of the time you will not have much work, but you need to know your stuff. Start learning how to study now, because it will really help in the long run.

There seem to be more students then there is room for in classes, and it's almost impossible to get the schedule you need. It is very important to not rely on drop-ins, because you will most likely be competing with at least twenty other students to get that class.

Alycia

I would tell myself to keep working hard. Achieving the best you can in high school is a great step towards college and makes the transition much easier. I would also tell myself not to fear. College and all the hard work and long hours of studying involved can seem daunting but it's worth it. College is a wonderful experience. It helps you to discover who you are and what you are capable of and shapes you into a better person. College helps understand the world better. If you put in the effort you will always get out what you deserve. Enjoy the time you have there and the people that you meet, because it will go faster than you expect.

I like my school because it is accepting place for all types of students. There are many opportunities to get involved within the school and with other students. It pushes you to succeed and achieve.

I don't think anyone should not attend school, especially a two-year school. Two year schools are great opportunities to expand your education and explore the different areas of study that you find most interesting. Education helps expand your mind and view of the world, and shape you into a stronger and brighter person.

The environment of Sierra College is so organic, so natural and down to earth, that it is very comfortable and easy to learn and study, but at the same time, if needed, it provides wonderful places to just relax and destress.

Going back to talk to my senior self now would be interesting, and an opportunity I would likely pass on because I wouldn't change any of those lessons that I learned, experiences I've had, or who I've become since then. But on the off chance that I did, I would smack myself upside the head and tell myself, "Pull it together! Take that class you should take, even though you don't want to and don't have to! It will open up more opportunities for you and make things go by easier and faster! And don't be discouraged if it feels like things haven't changed much, that it's the same old thing, and not at all like you were especting it to be. It takes some looking, but once you find it, you will see that everything is different there. And don't be afraid to take the opportunities to go out and have fun. Make new friends and keep in contact with them, it makes it all easier and worthwhile. And most of all, be prepared to study harder than ever before!"

The diviersity of the campus is really on of my favorite things there. Everyone is there from the techies to the "hippies" to the fashionistas! That along with the huge selection of classes alows me to explore and grow in all the different sides of my personality.

Sofiya

These past two years of college have been quite a challenge. I do not regret it one bit, but there are definitely some things I would do different if I had the knowledge I have now back when I was a high school senior. I worked so hard my first three years in high school that when it came to senior year I felt I needed to reward myself by taking it easy. All those years of hard work and discipline and then one big break brought me to a rude awakening when I came to college. I had to retrain myself and work extra hard to get back into the disciplined, hardworking mentality. If I kept at it with full commitment, it would have made such a difference. Maybe even the opportunity to explore more and get a step closer to choosing a major. Another thing I would tell myself then, not to underestimate or devalue my worth or brains. I know I?m intelligent, but sometimes I felt I couldn?t fulfill my full potential because it would intimidate some of my friends. When really it could have inspired them.

The best thing about my school is some of the staff who is working there. I've come in contact with some great teachers who I just happened to take their class for no specific reason and then learned more than I thought possible. And not only teachers but some of the other staff working there. These people really add to the environment of the school and make it so much more comfortable and a much better experience for any student. I really appreciate how much they have helped and influenced me.

The most frustrating thing was being totally confused and not knowing who to talk to, what to do, or how to explain it. I chose a community college because I had no idea what major I wanted to pursue. Although I met with counselors before the beginning of each semester, I felt like they couldn?t help me as much because I couldn?t tell them what I wanted. So by mid-semester I?d become frustrated as to why I?m taking a certain class and why I?m not figuring things out like I thought I would.

Sierra College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.