Sierra Nevada College Top Questions

Natalie

Growing up in a rural area I didn't get much advice at all before graduating high school. So, if I had the chance to go back in time and give myself some advice I would start off by telling myself the basics. The basics would include telling myself: not to screw around during high school because those grades are important, to get on college applications as soon as possible, that community college isn't an efficient alternative, and that college is an option for everyone, not just the well off. But above all else I would tell myself to put yourself out there and that if you do you'll find that more people than you expect are willing to help you out.

Brenda

Dear high school me, it's probably time you stopped procrastinating and started doing all your homework. I know, it's boring, and the teachers don't really care. But believe me, when you get to college, you're going to regret not having done the work. Another thing, it would probably be a good idea to actually go over the things in that math book, as opposed to skimming through it, believe me, you'll be glad you did!! Apart from the academic stuff? Well, relax, your roommate experience will be fine. Oh, and taking snacks is probably a good idea. Just because your meal plan is an all you can eat does not mean that you're going to want to eat that stuff all the time. And don't spend that first month locked up in your dorm. Get out and meet everyone! Oh, and go on the ropes course trip instead of the tour of Incline. You can tour Incline some other time!

I would tell myself to be more open minded to new experiences and situations. The transition can be hard, but it has a way of working itself out for the best. Be outgoing and go with the flow, don't be afraid. The final thing I would tell myself is that no decision is concrete. People change and because of that decisions, ideas, and many other things change.