Simpson University Top Questions

Christiana

I know that you have worked hard to get here. You have had some good times doing it too. You have made new friends and pushed yourself farther that you thought you could. So don't stop now. Remember your dream and take it for a ride because you never know where it will lead. Set up good study habits and a kick butt sleep schedule (trust me you will need it). But do not be afraid to have some fun. Do not get overwhelmed by the amounts of endless schoolwork and worry. Kick back and let go every once in a while. Also remember to smile. It has been proven that when people smile they seem more attractive, more confident, and way more friendly. If you smile, you will be sure to make friends. Have fun and don't let the fear of this new world come raining down on you. Keep your eyes on your dream and shoot for the stars.

Please reconsider attending community college... you will regret the student loan debt in about six years. But since I know you aren't going to listen to me, my next most important piece of advice is this: Whatever you do TURN IN that paper for your Utopia/Anti-Utopia literature course because you will cause your teacher grief and yourself. (Countless years later you will continue to kick yourself for not turning in that one assignment.) Most importantly, pursue your degree for what YOU want to do, not because of other people's expectations. You already know the answers, just trust yourself. Lastly, you are going to do things the hard way, and life is going to bring much pain, but it will also bring much joy. The path you choose will be one of the hardest, but don't ever give up. Just remind yourself, everything must begin with a single step. You WILL graduate, and you will be successful, but only if you give your best effort and take that trecherous first step. All the experiences you accumulate along the way will have purpose, and you will be a source of strength for many people as well.

Shaquiya

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making transition, I would make sure that I gave myself some useful advice. I would tell myself to make sure that I study as hard as I can. Coming into college, I was still on a high school studying schedule and could not seem to get over it. Being a health student requires lots of study time because one has to take many rigorous science courses. In saying this, I would describe the horrible time I had trying to maintain a low C in general biology my freshman year of college. as well as the horrible time I had retaking both Anatomy and Physiology one and two twice. Hopefully, hearing these things will help to prepare me for the science area and I could make better grades than I did in those classes, which I have to pass to gradate. Then maybe, just maybe, I would not have to get my AA degree after three years in college and take even longer to get my bachelor's degree and go further in my education.

Shayanne

Even though you might be extremely nervous and a bit scared, being in college is nothing to be worried about. Life in college is much more fun than high school ever was, even if you were perfectly comfortable in the high school setting. Compared to high school teachers, college professors will treat you respectfully as an adult, something everyone always wants. They are not there to criticize you and tell you what you can't do; rather, they teach in a more relatable style that creates a positive feeling when learning new material. Also, do not be nervous if you are going to be on a sports team. All of the players have to or have had to be in the place where you will be when you show up on the first day. If you were recruited and are on scholarship to play a sport, you are obviously good enough to be playing for your college. Over all, branch out and make new friends, be involved in on-campus activities, join a club, participate in events, and make memories you will never forget.

Pettress

Many times I wished I could go back with the knowledge that I have now. Growing up I was not considered a bad or troubled child. My downfall wasn’t knowing how much I was able to accomplish by applying myself. As a young child I was diagnosed with dyslexia. Not understanding my disability lead me to believe that I was stupid. No matter how hard I worked, I still fell behind in my studies. I made it through high school with the support of my mother. She pushed me to work harder and to learn my strengths so that I could focus my time on bettering my weaknesses. At the time, I didn't understand why she worked me so hard. I learned that I was able to do everything that everyone around me could. I have an associate’s degree in dental assisting and would love to obtain my dental hygienist license. If I could go back in time, I would treat my life as if I believed that I had a future. Making changes in my thinking and confidence level, would have enabled me to believe in myself and ensured that I had an even brighter future.

Taryn

You won't be able to successfully do the time management for ROTC: don't even bother with trying. Hit hard on the classes instead, you'll need to take a lot of credits each semester in order to make up for the lost time when you study abroad in Oxford for a year. Take World Regional Geography earlier when you're taking lighter classes so that you can spend more time studying for it and get a good grade. When you're going for dorm rooms, even though Irwin is described as the Freshman dorm, it has a better layout and better storage than the older students' dorms: go for Irwin. Take advantage of the tutoring system: even if you're doing well, they help edit papers. If you bring your car (which you really shouldn't), then you only need the two meal per day plan and you can go home every weekend. Going home disrupts routine and can throw you off when you need to do homework: it's better to just stay on campus and push through all the work.

Kathryne

Hey you. YOU! Over there. With the carefree attitude and hopeful eyes. Financial aid wise, you’re screwed so start looking into loads of scholarships where the only thing that matters is your essay. Get a job, save up and apply to everything you possibly can. But you can still go to Community. I am you 2 years down the road, saving a boatload while not skimping on the education. It’s been wonderful, but it’s time for change. Just save. So you can transfer smoothly into that four year institution. Because when push comes to shove, you don’t wanna be me- scrambling, praying, hoping, scouring for aid anywhere you can so you can go, but doubting yourself and the belief that everything will work out. It was once your mantra. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch, kid. You got into college- great, but 2 weeks before you get there, you’ll “owe” before attending. (But that's okay because visiting it, it didn’t feel right anyhow). Strive to discover those coins. Treasure every penny. Add it to your imaginary jar. Pray for the unthinkable-actually attending Purchase College in two Falls.

Kalie

Hello, self, it's you from the future. I'm writing to give you some much needed advice. The most important thing I can tell you is that from this point forward, your life is about making you happy. It's not about what your family thinks you should do, what your friends want you to do, or anybody else's opinion; it's about you and what you want. This sounds like a lot of freedom, but it really comes with a lot of responsibility. This is your life to live, nobody else can live it for you. Also remember that what's meant to happen will happen no matter how many steps you take or in which direction you took them. There is no shame in changing your plans if you realize you're not happy or if something doesn't seem right. Remember to have fun and be yourself at all times. If people cannot accept you for who you truly are, then move on. Best wishes in whatever life throws your way.

Alexa

I have made life-long relationships, I have close relationships with my professors and have been in a posittive and encouraging environment. I would never trade my college experience.

I have gotten an education so that when I go to do my carreer I will be better prepared for being able to help people effectively, and successfully. I also am a first generation college student in my family, and was a single teen parent. I took many classes that helped prepare me for what needed to be done in the community and what is out there to know within the community. I hope to hgive someone else inspiration to go on and not stop even with the barriers in there life. I want to make a differance in as many peoples lifes as I can, I plan on continuing all the way to get my masters degree. I think between schooling and life experiances has better prepared me for my future.

I have gotten an educational experiance out of college that I would not have recieved through work experiance. The subjects that I have teken have prepared me for the career I want to have wich is social work. The classes I have taken have provided me with information and knowledge that I needed to be more prepared in assisting people. I believe without this education I would not be equipt to help people effectively. I am currently working part time as a Resource and Referral Speacialist through ILSNC and I would not have been able to get this position without my A.A. degree, and the education has helped me to better understand my consumers and their needs.

To never limit myself always practice good study habbits and to be the best i can be in and to keep pressing on towards the mark!!!

I would tell myself to work harder in school and ask for help when I did not understand things. I would take the hardest classes I could, so that I could do better in College and get into the schools I wanted to go to. I would have applied for more scholarships and started working earlier and saved that money for college, it is not fun being broke while living on your own. I would remind myself to have fun, because you only get to go to High School once, but not to worry becasue you will make the most amazing friends while in College. Enjoy my free time because you never have time to rest in College, you are constantly going. I would have tried harder at soccer so I could get a better scholarship for that. But most of all, just enjoy it. Life flys by, so make as many memories you can! :)

MIng

Save up money, for one. Then When you get there, break out of your shell faster and get to know a lot of people. Don't hesitate to get to know someone. Get out there and do your best.

Glenda

Go NOW, Glenda!!! That's what I would say. It is so difficult to go back when you have a family, a job and children that really need you. If you go now, you could experience so much more of life, before you settle down. You can reach out of a little fish pond and venture into an ocean of education that will inform you for the rest of your life. You have it...You can do it...GO FOR IT!!!

Erick

The first and biggest thing I would tell myself is that im not an evil twin being sent from the future to kill my past self... but instead, to tell myself the good, the bad and the ugly about college. I think the first piece of advice that i would give is to reasure myself about being involved on campus. Join clubs and help out with events and things like that. The second piece of advice i would give to myself is to NOT SKIP CLASSES!!! Its seems innocent at first but then the absences begin to add up and before you know it your grades are dropping in your classes and things of that nature. The last pieace of advice would just to live it to the fullest. Not let fear hold me back from the great things that i am capable of. I am also an encourager so I would part forom my past self with a word of encouragement. The End

If I got such a chance, I?d say to high-school-Courtney: ?Biology was just as hard as you thought it was gonna be, the people were not nearly as frightening and the food is way worse.? But, wait, I?d go on and elaborate, saying, ?You?ll meet some of the most amazing people. And wait until you hear what?s acceptable again: blanket forts, kite flying, frisby, Pok?mon, cat naps, sleepovers, stuffed animals, owning fish, coloring books ? Oh, Courtney, the list goes on and on!? Though, more importantly I?d say very seriously, ?Don?t mess this up. It?s fun to have friends and goof off, but school is just so important, so important? and never, ever think you?re too good to return to your family. Don?t ever think you?ve outgrown them; with you, it?s bound to cross your mind a few times. And never forget their love and your love, because it?s all that will keep you together sometimes. And remember, most of all, God and His love. Embrace this time as an opportunity to know your Lord better. Grow, be happy and spread His love.?

Emerald

I would tell myself to consider more options. I love my school; but I wish that I had started looking at colleges sooner and applied to more places. I would tell myself to enjoy Mom's cooking while I had it. It far surpasses the "gourmet" meals prepared at the cafeteria. I would tell myself not to make one friend the center of my whole world at college. It's wonderful to get really close to someone and want to stay friends for life; but branching out and being out of my comfort zone will ultimately make me a more happy, balanced human being. I would tell myself that just because I'm at a Christian college does not mean I can skip church and neglect personal time with God. It doesn't mean that school will be easier because the people are nice. And it also doesn't mean that I will finally find my soulmate and live happily ever after. Life is sweet; but it is a challenge and I will find few free passes here on Earth. I have to work to become the person I want to be, because it doesn't just come with age.

If i could walk into the nearest telephone booth and transport back to senior year i would stop and stare. I would look in the mirror at the hot mess i was every day of that year, and i would tell myself to breath. "You did not come this far to stop here, and tomorrow all of this stress will seem ridiculous and miniscule. You are stronger than you take yourself to be, and God has never let you down before, and He will not start today." The transition between high school and college was a drastic one, but everyday made the prior one seem less intimidating. So if i had the opportunity to confront the anxious, pessimistic, vulnerable girl who was so afraid of everything falling to pieces in the time it takes to inhale, i would just tell her to stop. marvel at the beauty that surrounds her, and to see the future as just another opportunity to shatter the preconceptions of those who told her she would never accomplish anything.

Tressa

Tressa, I understand that you are a people person and love to build new relationships, but know that there will be many opportunities to socialize. Studying goes first, after all why are you going to college? Rely on God; know there are many people willing to help in every subject you struggle in. This is a new beginning in a different section of life, college. Keep old friendships, but make new ones. Learn how your mind works and study in that specific way. Don?t limit yourself to certain majors, God has a funny sense of humor and He loves to show you how He works through someone. Also, don?t sit around and think God will just put your foot in front of the other for you. You need to take a step forward and ask God to change it or make it a solid step confirming you?re moving in the right direction. Learn from your mistakes and your successes. Enjoy life to the fullest, in the way Jesus did, not the world?s way. There is nothing in this world God cannot overcome. Give your worries to God and have faith that He will lift you up.

Jacquelyn

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I know exactly what I would say. The first thing I would say would be, "Chill out Jackie, it's me Jackie, I am the future you." I am pretty sure those eleven words would calm my senior-self down, after that I would simply tell the past Jackie that it is okay to procrastinate, and that she will succeed no matter what, that includes holding off studying until the last minute, something I never did my first semester in college. I would also tell her that Mr.Hamilton, my high strung Political Science teacher, would be giving her an A+ so she does not need to lose a whole night?s sleep worrying about it. However, the most important thing I would tell her is that it is her Senior year and she should enjoy all the freedom and advantages of her last teenage year, in the fall everything would change; she would be an adult and have enormous responsibilities that she never had before. I would end with, "Enjoy every moment you receive now and do not take it for granted."

Athena

I would tell myself to try to get all the scholarships I can get. I would remind myself NOT to get senioritis and continue getting good grades. Or maybe I would tell myself to take the Advanced Placement Exams from San Francisco State earlier in the year with my friends so that I can get into SF State's Orientation. If I got into SF State Orientation on time, I could've gone to SF State for a year or two to save money. Oh well, I guess you can't change the past, but you can change yourself.

As a senior at a public high school with about 1200 students, I have no doubt that I contracted the sickness known as "senioritis". I did care about my grades, but I didn't try as hard as I should have. For example, my Statistics teacher was new, so he was pretty easy to get by and to get a passing grade with. However, I don?t remember a single thing from that class. I regret this because I'll be taking Statistics for Nursing and I believe if I would have tried harder to learn my senior year, I could get through this college class much easier. If I could go back and give myself advice, I would definitely tell myself that my senior year counts. It will be this year that shows how much work ethic you have no matter how your grades look. As long as you know that you worked as hard as you could, without slacking off, that?s all that counts. Chances are that you will have to take at least one of these classes again in college and if you work hard now, then you won?t struggle as much in the future.

Ask upperclassmen about the best deals on campus and off. They know where to buy the cheapest books, the cheapest meals, the cheapest gyms, best places to hang out off and on campus. Where not to live, the people to avoid and the people to befriend, which professors are good or not-so good. Avoid being the annoying college freshmen who are loud and obnoxious about everything. The college experience is so much more than that, and you should take advantage of it. Believe me, the upperclassmen are great advice-givers. Really. Go to multi-cultural events. Authentic Chinese food made by authentic Chinese people will blow your mind away. Try new things. Who knew that going for a jog could actually be fun? Feel free to be a kid again. When you're in college, people will think you're cool for having a huge Pokemon collection, or for being a tug-of-war pro. If you see a group of guys playing Ultimate Frisbee, join them, even if you don't know them. They won't mind. Believe me. Lastly, be yourself. There's no one to impress anymore. People here will love the person you really are.

Dillon

The best advice I can give about choosing the right university for you is: dream big! No school is too prestigous, or too dificult, set your goals high, consider your career interests and which colleges specialize in those areas, and then--go visit the college. Think of it this way, colleges have to compete for you as a student to go there, and not the other way around. Take a tour of the school, get to know some students, professors, and ask a lot of questions. Through careful research, consideration, and investigation, along with prayerfull consideration (if you are a religous person), you will most definietly find the right school for you! Good luck and never let anyone tell you "you can't do this" or "you can't go to that school becuase..." I wish you the best of luck in your college decision making, career life choices, and beyond!

Heidi

Most importantly, check out the athletics and whether or not the school is even decent. If you are interested in playing a sport than you definately need to go with a school that knows their stuff. Frustration will only follow and grades will only drop if a student is devestated by the lack of athleticism. Second, whatever choice you make, be happy because the school is not as important as that little piece of paper that says "I'm officially a college graduate" and yes you can now hire me. Attitude is such a key part of life and whatever attitude that you "the student" or "the parent" decide to hold before applying for colleges is the attitude that will remain. Choose to be happy and you'll love any decision you make. Happy hunting!

Take your time in deciding where to go to college. I would caution you never to enroll in a college you have not personally been to. visit the campus and see what campus life is really all about. There are campuses that different from where you live. keep in mind that you want a place the makes you feel welcome. It meet the professors and students and see what campus life is like there. it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. you can pay for college!!! you just have to be create in where you look. Good Luck!!

When looking for a college, first think about what is most important to you. Is it location? relationships? activities? academics? fiances? When considering a listing of schools prioritize your search by looking for the college that matches your top values. Also recognize that you might give up one of your ideals in exchange for another. For instance, I ended up attending my third choice school, aware that it had the lowest academic standards of the schools I was accepted to. Although I do value academics highly, I value fiancial security even more, and opted for this school because it provided better scholarships. I also knew that I would be attending a smaller school in a very mono-ethnic city. I value the smallness because I feel a real sense of community, but at the same time, I do not get to enjoy enthic diversity. Prioritize what is most important to you and realize that you may have to give up a lesser ideal for a greater ideal.

Visit the college first. By doing this you get an idea of what the atmosphere is like.

Start looking at colleges early and stay on campus. If the right school is c hosen then the things you experience will last a life time. If a chance to do a summer or semester abroud is given to you take it. It is an amazing experience that you can share with other students on campus that you would have never ran into without it. For parents: let your children live on campus and visit campuses by themselves. You can be there but let them try to experience the school without you. Children will choose what makes you happy abd what you would want. This is not always what is best for them and could even resent you for the rest of their lives.

Tessa

I would definitely find a college that first fits your lifestyle and wants before you pick because of your major. your major most likely will change, but they way the college is won't. :)

As an "older" student I would encourage students of all ages to research a college that will enable you to complete a degree in a program that fits your needs and stage in life. If you are a younger student, you may want to research the availability of extra-curricular activities, the dorm life, the academic programs and financial aid. There are some students who have small children for which an online college may be the best option for them. I believe that finding the right program will aid in the success of your college career. For me the degree completion program at Simpson University offered classes one night a week which was important for me and my family. The program was 18 months which was also a benefit when comparing other college degree programs. I believe that visiting campuses and getting a feel for the culture and atmosphere is important in making a decision on where you will obtain your degree.

Jered

My advice is to visit the campus! You can never get a true feeling about whether a school is right for you by looking at a website or reading about it. A visit to campus can be an opportunity to meet students, see dorms, eat food, visit classrooms and experience for yourself if the campus has the feel that is right for you.

Elicia

Don't make your choice based on money, go with what you want and what will best help you achieve your goals.

Know what you want in a college, and why you want it. Think about what type of experience you would like to have, and then be intentional about researching schools that fit your descriptions. Be flexible because no school will be perfect, but also discover your sense of self because ultimately it is you that has to go thorugh this time.

I would advise prospective undergraduates to really look at the values of the students of the colleges you are considering. Taking a campus tour and actually sitting in on one or two classes is extremely helpful, considering you are evaluating every aspect of the potential college. Look at the job market around the college, as well as the community atmosphere of the city the college is located in, if you're a partier, you may not want to be stuck in the middle of the woods somewhere far from a big city, and if you're a small town person, you may not want to go to a huge college in the middle of San Francisco. Consider the type of roommates you want to live with in the dorms/apartments/wherever, you want to live with people you can get along with on a regular basis. Think about the cultural experience you want to have while attending college, if you want to engage in music ensembles, make sure the college actually has a program of some sort, look at the clubs and extra-curricular activities available. Think about how this college's atmosphere will affect your personality, morals, and religion.

Deciding on the right college for you takes research, visits and a "feel" for the culture, attitude and program that is the best fit for you as an individual. Taking the step to further your education is a big one and should not be taken lightly. I chose to return to college to finish my degree at the age of 41. I started at a junior college and transferred to Simpson University's Aspire Program. I decided this program and school was the best fit for me because as a full time employee, my time away from home was limited to one night per week. When I first visited Simpson, I was amazed at the caring attitude of the staff and the Christian environment that made me feel so welcome. While I realize that Simpson isn't for everybody, I believe there is a fit out there for every individual who has a desire to learn. Going back to school has been the most rewarding thing I have done for myself. When I obtain my degree, the feeling of accomplishment will be overwhelming and an inspiration to my children and to others that you are never too old to learn.

First, to have financial capability as a second priority. Pick a college that fits the student and the lifestyle that suits the student. The college should have a variety of majors so that if the student were to change majors, he/she would be able to switch without going to another school. Visit the college before picking it, because then the student can question real students and get actual respones to questions and the student will be able to see the environment of the campus (to see if it fits the student). To make the most out of your college experience, attend one or many activities on campus to associate the student with peers and the campus. If the student has a certain affinity (such as going to a Catholic college), then browse through colleges of that nature. Most of all, look for a college that you feel you can learn, have fun, and grow because college is an important point in anyone's life and should be enjoyed as well as being a chance to learn about the world and yourself.