Mount Vernon, WA
Skagit Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skagit Valley College

Lots of foreign exchange students. Small college feel. About an hour away from 2 major cities (Seattle and Bellingham).

If I were to go back in time, to when I was a senior, I would probably tell myself to do a couple of things differently. The first thing is to not procrastinate. To break that habit before I went to college would have been a blessing. I would would probably understand some of my course work better and have a better GPA. The other thing I would tell myself is to ask teachers for help when I need it. It took me the better part of the year to ask a teacher for help. I would have understood more of the subject matter the first time around if I had just asked them to explain things differently the first time around.

Anyone and everyone. Perfect for going back to school after a while. Perfect for trying to save up to move on. Wonderful for getting a feel for what college workloads are going to be.

Katie

Skagit Valley College is an exceptional community college with helpful staff and friendly students; I have learned so much there!

My fellow classmates are friendly and fun, they make the classes more fun and enjoyable.

Knowing the things that I know now, I would tell myself to relax, take a deep breath, and reach for my dreams. I would also tell myself that what those other people said wasn't important. I can accomplish the goals I set for myself. Ever since I was seven, I have dreamed that I would be an archaeologist and a historian. Now, as a college student, I know that I can accomplish these goals and I wish that I was able to tell myself that in my senior year. It would have allowed me to enter college as a more confident individual than I did. I would encourage myself to socialize more often, to make lasting friendships and to just have a good time. I wish that I had balanced my social life and work life better, and now, the friends that I made in my senior year, are simply aquaintances and not good friends that I can spend my Friday nights with. Having good friends makes a wonderful support system for the transition from high school to college. Friends can make your stress go down, which is helpful to any college student.

David

Well it depend on which class im in but i love how diverse that school is im kind of a social butterfly so i get along with everybody but there all still diferent groups this is somthing i would i would like to see changed. theres so many people that could be great friends but because you look this way or talk this way society says that we can be friends and that is somthing i need to be changed.

You can never be to prepared i thought that i was perpared enough for school and sadly had to findout the hard way that i was no where near ready, now i have to work that much harder to get everything undercontrol and i understand that now but back in high school i was so focused on sports and having fun that i put my self in a bad spot to have to work harder and while all my friends focused on school and fun they all went to good schools and i had to watch them leave and i had to stay how and pretty much start over and now i feel like every on is run in a track and that my track is a up hill battle so basically i would tell my self to focus and fun will come later.

I wish that when i was in high school i would have tried harder so that i could have gotten into a better school. i woud have listen better about taking notes and i would have took classes seriously. Now that im in college i feel like i have to work that much harder to keep up

Christine

listen to that little voice inside your head that tells you to follow where the destiny that you will create leads you. That way you can "take the bull by the horns" and forge your own path and make your hopes become reality. (and do your homwork so your teachers won't give you The Speech every five days)

The variety of Languages that are availible to learn, because they allow me to head towards my goal as a translator

It doesn't have alot of acivities that I would want to or can join, because I'm not ver athletic and my intrest is in languages and writing and there are no activities that involve this.

Alanna

With so many of your friends going to prestigious colleges and four-year universities, don't sweat about doing your own thing. Attending a community college is a great deal. The classes are smaller and more affordable. Plus, you have a better chance of meeting new people in smaller settings. Pace yourself and take a smaller credit load your first quarter in school. With cooking your own meals, doing your own laundry, paying your own bills, and shopping, it can become overwhelming at first. Pace yourself with your homework load. College is manageable if you keep on top of the work. It's all about putting the time in a class. Start saying "no" once in awhile. It's all about time management and knowing your limits, especially when you work and are on a sports team. College is going to work for you and you will get better at it over the years. Register for classes as soon as you possible to secure the classes you need at the times you need them, especially the prerequisites. Anything meaningful is going to: a) take work; and b) mean getting out of your comfort zone.

The biggest advice I could give someone is: No one is going to hold your hand. You have to ask questions and use the school departments to help you. For example, get to know your advisor/school counselor right away. They have wisdom that can save you stress, money and make the experience more enjoyable. Scheduling your classes as soon as practicable is also essential. This allows you to obtain the classes you need (including the prerequisites) at the times you need them. Mixing up your schedule with difficult and easy classes will help you pace yourself and stick around.

Practical, career focused, and money conscious individuals should attend this school. Students who have a specific vocation in mind will get a better bang for their buck/time. Community colleges are a deal. I was accepted into four-year schools, but I could not afford a four-year school. Reality sunk in at the end of my senior year in school. A biology class is a biology class, regardless of the school. Taking prerequisites at a community college is very wise and the classes are more meaningful because they are smaller.

Learning communities and how well students transfer to four year schools.

Learning communities and how well students transfer to four year schools.

Take more math so I wouldn't have to take so much college math. Be more prepared for lots of time spent on homework outside of class.

The most frustating thing would be that two out of four of my teachers this quarter were really bad. They lost my assignments and never explained things in class well enough.

Skagit Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.