Saratoga Springs, NY
Skidmore College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skidmore College

Emma

The best thing about Skidmore is the sense of community that you feel on campus. Since it's a relatively small school (only about 2,500 students), you really feel as though you know most people at the school. The small student population allows you to really recognize people on campus, and it makes you feel less like "just a face in the crowd". Saratoga Springs, the town that Skidmore is located in, is really nice. It has great restaurants and shops, and since it's a big racing town, there are tons of things to do there all throughout the school year. Most people don't leave campus for the weekends since there is so much going on. My favorite Skidmore experience so far was during a huge snowstorm. All the lights in the buildings went off except in the dining hall (which is located at the back of a huge lawn area) and the entire campus stopped doing work and just held a huge snowball fight. People were throwing snowballs at students they didn't even know; it was so much fun!

Most Skidmore students are from the Northeast area - New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, etc. - although we do have students from almost everywhere, including a lot of foreign students. Skidmore is a really accepting college; you're free to be who you are and most likely there will be other "you"s out there. At the same time, there aren't a lot of cliques at the college; I have friends from pretty much every activity I participate in and we all sort of mix from different friend groups. The only aspect of the student body that sometimes frustrates me is that it can be really hard to get the students involved in programs or activities that the smaller clubs on campus hold. The students, politically, are mostly liberal, but it's even hard to get them involved in political activities on campus.

No, not really. Obviously, some people do take drugs during college, but that's not the entire campus population. And we have a very thriving sports program (going to hockey games are so much fun) at school! We are known for our art programs, but not everyone makors or even participates in the arts - Business is our most popular major.

Skidmore academics are hard and competitive, but they aren't cut-throat - no one is going to be battling to get the few As that the teacher gives out because if you deserve an A, you'll get one. The classes are small and very personal (my English class only have 6 people in it!) and you really get to know the professors. The professors are great and very helpful - if you are the kind of person who can take the steps to start something, the professors will do everything they can do help you out. I love the class variety at Skidmore. Not only are there many more choices than you could ever pick, a lot of the classes blend two or more subjects together (like history and religion, or biology and neuroscience). I've taken classes on comic books, personal essays, history of a particular region and more, and that was only in my first year of school.

Since Skidmore doesn't have a Greek system, sports houses are really where off-campus parties are. Most of the time, you start your night in the dorms and gradually move to a house off-campus or in the upper-classmen apartments, and then end up back in your dorms. It can be hard in the winter because it's so cold outside and snowy, but there are a ton of things to do. Sports aren't huge at Skidmore; A Cappella groups really attract a pretty big following, especially the all-male group. Those as well as the improv comedy group get the biggest crowds at their shows, but people show up to pretty much anything. I met a lot of my friends through my classes, especially my freshman seminar. My best friend also was my roomate; the school did a great job pairing us up and we became really close.

Some stereotypes about Skidmore and its students are that we all smoke pot or do a lot of drugs, and that we are all artsy and kind of hippies.

Open-minded, liberal, talented, artistic, loves music and dancing, mellow, involved, environmentally aware. Not diverse in terms of race and ethnicity.

Skidmore's very eccentric and it definately attracts a certain type of student; although its diverse in terms of personalities, most students are definately liberal, open-minded, and have a hippie-flare to them.

In some ways; Skidmore is definately an artistic school, the art program (including fine arts and performing arts) are very strong. However, it by no means is the dominanting department, I've never taken an art class at school nor do I plan on it. Also, Skidmore's academics are extremely rigorous and are taken very seriously. It's a great school, so we're not just a bunch of pot-smoking artists (although that scene does exist). Skidmore is definately also very liberal, politically and culturally. The student body is very openminded towards different religions, sexualities, and so forth and as a whole most are Democrats. However, the student population is diverse, we have our "preppy and jocky" kids too, but perhaps in smaller numbers than other schools. Yet, its a small liberal arts school, so thats to be expected. Most schools of our size and our nature tend to be more liberal and attract the type of student thats not interested in frat-life, but with a good atmosphere of mellow people who love music, love to be in the outdoors, and perhaps, love to paint.

The academic life at Skidmore is very challenging, especially because many have coined us as an "up and coming" school (we're a "new ivy"). The professors and students take class seriously and all students are expected to excel, and the courses are mainly writing-intensive as opposed to exam oriented. The class sizes are small, probably falling in the range of 20-25 kids per class; therefore, professors will get to know you on a personal level which is definately a positive attribute of Skidmore and definately fosters a better learning environment. You are expected to attend classes (plus they'll notice if you're not there) and to do all your work. The classes, for me at least, have been really interesting overall and I've enjoying most of the courses I've taken. There are a bunch of requirements you have to take, but in my opinion its for the best, it allows you to dapple in each department and discipline before declaring a major. Plus, it makes you more well-rounded and it's what a liberal arts education is supposed to be.

First and foremost there is no greek life; we are such a small school, we definately dont need it to dictate our social scene. There are ton of activities, dances, live concerts (students and professionals). The party scene takes place either at off-campus houses or in the senior/junior housing. Skidmore kids love theme parties and love smoking pot; we know how to have a good time, but the parties are not as intense as what the movies portray college to be.

There's the stereotype that everyone is super artsy and hippie-esque; with that being said, there's also the belief that its very progressive and liberal, mainly female with a strong gay community, and also that everyone student is either involved in the fine arts or theater.

Alexandra

Saratoga Springs is an ideal college town. It has one of the highest bars per capita, a unique old town charm, with great eats, and beautiful parks. It is small and quaint, and provides a lovely backdrop to a very insular school. Anyone who knows anyone who goes to Skidmore knows how much students here love it. It is not a school that people go to for the name, people come here for the environment it provides. It goes beyond the great professors, to a feeling on campus that is cultivated by very cool and caring students.

used to be all hippies, now they are all hipsters.

stereotypes often stem from some sort of truth. don't come to skidmore if you want to walk the straight and narrow, there are plenty of other schools out there for that. there are skidmore students who fit the smokemore stereotype, but skidmore students are very diverse accross the chart. Anyone can find their niche as long, but it helps to be open minded and fun.

Each department at Skidmore is very different. Make sure that you look into what you want to come to Skidmore for. The English, Theater, Psych, and Art/Art History are tops. Think again if you are a business major, don't waste your time with bad teachers and appathetic students. Classes are generally very small with attentive teachers. There is an open door policy with very flexible office hours for almost all professors. There are practically no T.A.s it is all direct interactions with professors. If you take the time it is very easy to cultivate longstanding relationships with teachers.

Skidmore used to be nicknamed "Smokemore" and was on the reefermadness list. Skidmore students can be known to be out there, hippies, and crazy people.

Casey

Coming from a small town, Skidmore was just right for me. I didnt want to go to a huge University where no one knows who anyone is in their classes. My class at Skidmore is a little bigger then my graduating class in high school, but that allows for smaller class sizes, more one on one with teachers, and an opportunity to know everyone on campus and what ohters are doing. Saratoga is also a beautiful and supportive town. There are endless things to do and the people from town are very welcoming and supportive of the SKidmore community.

The SKidmore student body has a wide range of interests. There are multiple events happening every weekend of dances, lectures, movies, performances, and other. Also since SKidmore is a smaller college, lots of collaboration happens amongst the students.

SKidmore is probably one of the best choices I ever made. I find its a good balance of academics and social activities amongst the student body. We party, but we are also a very serious campus that cares about alot of issues in the world and news today. I believe that the average skidmore student is a B+ student if not higher. We are a very passionate campus and the shcool has done a great job of helping us discover our goals and passions and giving us every oulet to achieve them.

The majority of the campus is liberal and many of the students do participate in some form of the arts, but some of the biggest majors at skidmore are Buisness and Pshycology. Also Skidmore may not be as ethnically diverse as other campuses, but the school is aware of that and is constantly trying to help achieve that goal, but the school is diverse in so many ways when you look beyond race. There are so many students from other states, other countries, religions, different sexualities, economic backgrounds and much more. I think Skidmore is beautifully diverse!

We are a very serious campus when it come to academics. Professors are very approachable and understanding if you want to discuss soemthing with them. There are college requirements at Skidmore, but some people end up declarring their major based of one of the classes they were required to take. I am a Theater Dance interdisciplanary major which allows me to combine my two interests and many other deaprtments do this as well to try and accomadate everyone and their interests.

There is a club for everyone. There are no frats or sororities, but i honestly dont miss them. There are very few sports, but dont get to much support from the rest of the student body since we are a liberal arts college, but they are there. I dont find partying a problem here at all. If you want to party , there are opportunites, but if thats not your thing you dont need to worry. Ive never been to a party where someone was forced to drink or made to feel umcomfortable cause they didnt want to drink. Also if you dotn want to party at all, there are so many events and activities on campus to go to instead. Dating, if your a guy, is great you have lots of girls to choose from. If your a girl, its slim pickings, but there are datable guys at skidmore.

That Skidmore is full of rich, artsy, liberal kids, who are snotty and obnoxious. Also that we have no diversity amongst the faculty and student body.

Alicia

The school size is small, which allows for a very close population and you will never go anywhere without seeing someone you know. However, this makes it impossible to avoid people and does not push students to meet as many new people as a larger college would. The town of Saratoga Springs is fun and welcoming to the college students! But if you are looking to party, the off campus scene is really only for 21+. I will always remember the Skidmore tradition of Fun Day, which takes place during the last week of classes. The school sets up giant bounce houses on the green and everyone comes out to play and listen to the college bands. Fun Day is also the day of the Naked Run, which is exactly as entertaining as the name makes it out to be!

There are large groups of middle class to upper class students, as well as politically left students. However, there really is a wide range of students and not fitting into those categories is not a problem. If there were only four tables in the dining hall they would probably be divided into the lacrosse bros, the recycling club, the actors/actresses, and the international students. However, I don't fit into any of these groups and I couldn't be happier here!

Skidmore is AMAZING. The people are great and the experience is one I am so glad to be apart of. HOWEVER, if marijuana and alcohol make you uncomfortable, this is probably not the place for you.

Somewhat, but the groups are very eclectic and diverse. Skidmore is a very open and welcoming place; I always feel comfortable in any situation. And yes, we have our fair share of fun but we work hard to play hard!

Skidmore is all about class participation, class dynamic, and the student teacher relationship. All of my professors know my name and I feel more than comfortable talking to them about class, my future at Skidmore, and really anything that is concerning me regarding the school or my academics. The requirements seem like a pain at times, but the purpose of a liberal arts school is to get a good foundation education, which is definitely a strength here.

Because we don't have a greek life you meet all of your friends based on your classes and where you are living. There is a big theater/dance/art scene here which makes for interesting past times every weekend. The athletics are pretty popular as well, I go to every Friday night hockey game and its something I look forward to at the beginning of every week.

Lindsey

All in all, I am very happy with all that Skidmore has offered me so far. after having spent my first semester abroad in England, as a participant of Skidmore's FYE London program, I was so nervous to get back to Skidmore as a January freshman. My first semester at Skidmore was awful and even though I did well academically, I was miserable because I really had trouble making friends and getting involved in a community that seemed to already be set in stone. When I tell people that I go to Skidmore their first reaction is always, "Oh, great school...is it still all women?" I find this amusing because the school has been co-ed for a while. Anyways, people usually assume that I am relatively smart, because I go to Skidmore. The reality is, i'm average. While my grades are admirable, I would say that I work a lot harder than my friends do. A lot of times students at Skidmroe tend to be very intellectual and book smart, but do not always appear hard working. I would stress that I am the complete opposite which sometimes creates frustration in my mind. It gets to be be pretty hard sometimes when I realize that I have to spend 2 weeks studying what would take my friends a few hours to memorize. One thing I am incredibly grateful to Skidmore for though, is providing me a real glimpse into the real world, not just the typical small-school college bubble. i came to Skidmore because I wanted to be a Studio art/ art history major. After I took my first art class at the school, I decided I was no longer interested in pursuing art as a career. I ended up taking an Exercise Science class to fulfill a math/science requirement to the core-curriculum; Now, I'm an exercise science MAJOR! Exercise Science is a a relatively new major that other colleges and universities are just starting to acknowledge, but I have absolutely fallen in love with the classes, the faculty and the resources that the college has. Also, because Skidmore has just recently joined the network for the National Student Exchange program (NSE), I can now go abroad for the semester in HAWAII to study Exercise Science and still get my credits acknowledged by the school. It's hard enough being any kind of a science major to go abroad, as you probably already know, and the fact that Skidmore has found way around this makes me commend them even more for accommodating those of us that have chosen to declare our majors late, or have chosen majors that are difficult to complete.

These stereotypes are harsh, but unforntuntely fairly accurate. If I could pick the two most common profiles for students at Skidmore, it would be the "stuck up city kid" or the "crunchy hippie stoner/art major."

I love to participate in class. in fact, there is nothing i love more than to raise my hand and give my opinion on whatever matters we are discussing in class. I have found that that type of class dynamic has been widely accepted and practiced all over campus. Even in my larger classes (lecture-size) my professor are always answering my questions, which is increibly helpful. I would say that overall, Skidmore academics are average-above average. i am not really what you would categorize a "book smart" person, In fact a i get by with about a 3.6 GPA by the semester. I work pretty hard but I definitely make time for myself outside of school a priority. I would say that I can do well in my classes with an average amount of work that needs to be put into it. I have a pretty close relationship with both of my advisors. I have house-sat for them and driven their cars, and while it is a little awkward at first, my professors on the whole are some of my best friends at the college. I would say the education at SKidmore is given and geared towards getting a job, but at the same time i feel like the majority of my professors put pressure on me to do better and learn more so I can go on to graduate school and then get a good job. I definitely feel like graduate is the new "college" of the century.

I would have to say that the most common stereotype that I have heard about Skidmore students is that we are either all weed-smoking crunchy/artsy hippies, or that you are a rich "high and mighty" city kid. If you are a girl, people automatically assume you are a feminist. if you are a guy, people automatically assume you're gay.

Vick

I would make people more laid back and willing to get to know each other. Less cliques.

The dining hall is divided in two- one half jocks and the other half so called artsy students. It is hard to find the underground scene but it is definitely worth the search.

Where have all the hippies gone????

no not at all, the administration is weening out the hippies and cool kids in order to have a shiny "new ivy league" school

People need to get their acts together and read for the class. You picked it out of the Registrar , now do the freaking work.

Torry

none of my friends in highschool have ever heard of it because it only recruits from a few select highschools and if you didn't go to one of them or are not from the area you won't know about it. if you don't go to one of these high schools you can still get in though i found out about it over the internet. the classes here are small and you can get to know the proffessors easily. the town is nice, it's not big but you can find something to do. there's alot of clubs open at night and you'd think its whole different place. during the summer it's extremely busy because of the horse race industry in town. the classrooms are by the dorms so you won't have to worry about walking 20-30mins like other places. during the winter it snows like hell so you might want to bring a shovel for your car or an extra jacket.

students make a big issue of bais crimes here but in my experience their have been very few and are not gone beyond name-calling. its never gotten violent or to the piont of harrassment. if your views are conservative or strongly republican you will be in the minority. we do have though guest speakers like john ashcroft and mansfield. students mostly where flip flops to class and fashion isn't too important for most. if your looking to get layed its pretty easy hear, but if you want to get drunk its not so simple. a large percentage of students are on financial aid.

the professors get to know you because of the small classes and its not unusual to get the same professor twice. most of them know what there doing. there's a broad range of classes to choose from. my favorite classes has been power and agiliy its a gym class, gym is not a requirement so don't worry if your unathletic, its a class i would recommend to anyone. the small numbers and common goals help you really feel like a team. this school has a broad range of liberal arts requirements so if your looking for a technical school this school is not for you. because of the liberal arts requirements students end up finding different things they like and most have double majors or multiple minors. the professors treat you like adults and equals. they don't baby you or annoy you to get work done, if you done want to do it thats your desicion. you can have intellectual conversations with some of the students. if you want to do well your going to have to study though. you can get by with barely passing grades if to don't study though.

overwhelmingly liberal, not a party school, overwhelmingly white, alot of girls, quites, small class sizes, genourous financial aid

Abbie

I think the size of Skidmore is pretty good--but the ratio of guys to girls sucks, i would change that. When i tell people that i go to Skidmore, they usually mention the racetrack and the town of Saratoga Springs, which is AMAZING. There are awesome restaurants and the towns people are really nice to the students. Some businesses give discounts which is good. I think the administration is pretty good, they let us have some freedom, but when it comes to the drinking policy it i really bad. I dont like the fact that the campus is dry. it makes everyone more paraniod and it makes people want to break the rules more. School pride is not really something i see at skidmore. there is not really an excitement about the athletics. I will always remember this one night where it had just snowed really heavily and the power had gone out all over campus, and everyone in the dorms just came outside and had a giant snowball fight. it was insane, like a scene out of a movie.

Some students dress up for class, and some wear sweatpants--it varies from class to class, and what point in the semester it is. I think a student who is really into sports, and who is a really big jock would not really fit in--but everyone at skidmore is pretty accepting. The dining hall is really interesting. There are like 2 sides, one for the sporty people and one for the artsy people. The artsy people sit on the side with the vegetarian station and the salad bar, while the jocks sit on the side where there is pasta and powerade in the drink machine. Many people at this school are pretty wealthy, with really nice clothes. I would consider skidmore to be a predominately liberal campus.

I like pretty much all the professors at skidmore. they really want you to do well in their class and they are all really passionate about what they teach. my favorite class was exercise testing and prescription. it was hands on and soooo interesting and fun, and the professor was amazing. Everyone participates in class-because the classes are so small, you cant get away with not talking. My major is AMAZING. the exercise science department has so many knowledgeable teachers, and they have so much to offer. There are a ton of classes offered in my major that are really interesting that i cannot wait to take. I dont really hang out with my professors out of class, except for when we have the ex. sci party after each semester. I find all of my professors really approachable. I think skidmore's academic requirements are alright--except some classes that i really want to take (especially in the art department) get filled by seniors who are getting rid of their last requirements--i find that very annoying.

There are so many groups on campus that it is hard to decide which ones are most popular, but i would have to say polo, ultimate frisbee, EAC, and ProArts. I am involved in the ultimate frisbee club--the skidmore wombats, which is really fun. and i am also involved in the skidmore women's lacrosse team, which is AMAZING. Dorm life is really fun. I live on a floor with a bunch of my friends, and everyone always leaves their door open. Athletic events are not that popular, but a bunch of people go to the men's soccer, lacrosse, and ice hockey games. I met my closest friends on the lacrosse team, and from my preorientation program. I am usually awake until about 1-2am everynight doing work, but on the weekends i like to go out and and stay up a lot later. people party very often, like every thursday, friday, and saturday nights. Off campus i go to parties.

pot heads, artsy, hippies, separation between sporty people and artsy people

Emmy

Every time you start to think Skidmore is too small you see someone you've never seen before. People generally need to know something about colleges to know about skidmore. The general public does not know of it nor care. The town is great, there is so much to do at night. the bars are amazing. Skidmore pride is not always shown. We rather stay in our rooms and smoke pot than go rally. Thats just the way it is.

We are not a very diverse campus, but we try to be. A student who is unsure of themselves would feel very out of place.

Some programs have proven to be much easier than others. However majors such as Art and the Sciences are extrememly involved and selective as well as difficult. Every so often you get an over achiever but in general people are just like you, trying to get through. The academic requirements are ridiculous and take time away from you major and what you really want to do.

athletic events attract a certain type of student as well as all the other clubs. There is not one more popular club than the others. They are all on the same levels.

Skidmore College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.