Saratoga Springs, NY
Skidmore College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skidmore College

Dylan

Its a great school with a tough and rigorous cirriculum. I'd change the number of black people amd the amount of fans that come to the games if I could. I think the school is just right not too big or small but it depends on the person and whether they like one on one attention or if they just want to be a number. Most people I talk to don't know about Skidmore so they ask where is and such. Most times i'm in my room or in the gym! What college town??? The Skidmore administrtion is great. IThe ones that I do kno are really awesome! Biggest controvery was about so racial issues(slurs). I don't think there is alot of school pride based on the sports games. I'd say there are unusual people here because its just not what I'm use to. Just attending here has been a learning experience. I don't like the food in the D Hall but I don't know what others would say.

Academics are tough at Skidmore.From what I know everyone aims high to get good grades!...I know I try!

I honestly don't know yet. But I've heard about discrimination amongst groups.

Ryan

best thing: downtown saratoga; surrounding area, having sidewalks to be able to enjoy change: stereotype that its a hippie school school size is good to the point where you dont know everyone but faces do look familiar people arent sure where its located or whats around it if they do not know the area spend most of my time in the dorms and at the dhall collegetown dont know too many in the administration sector only those that get involved with athletics not much school pride its rare to find fans other than fellow athletes at games will always remember the first day/night i moved in freshman year complaints : dry campus

there are so many different groups and people around skidmore its hard not to find somewhere to fit in. however the student body is split between athletes, the artists, the hippies, the heop students, the rich upperclass jewish students, and the environmentalists. i woudl think that if one didnt fit in with any of these groups or overlap between it would be hard to feel in place at skidmore. many students i believe hail from the city and/or massachusetts. students on campus are very poltically aware of whats going on.

for the most part, although there are a percentage that are not jewish

skidmore eduaction in the business department i fell is geared toward working at the next level post college graduation. classes are competitive, students are competitive, and teachers really challenge their students to the point where class discussion carries outside the classroom. most unique class ive taken would have to be a latin american history class.

i would say the ockapella groups are th emost popular. im on teh basketball team its a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. spend lots of tiem at the gym on average about 3.5 hours per day. yes students leave their doors open when they are in the room, other htan that they are locked as they should be. athletic events are mostly popular among other athletes, athletes support athletes adn thats about it which it would be nice if it were to improve. met my closest friends on my team as well as on my floor each year in the dorms. never awake at 2am on aa tuesday. love the junior ring dance every year, its a great event that gets more fun with each passing year. party about 1-2 times per week. went home las tweekend. saturday ngiht is usually the night i pick to drink if any, and usually end up downtown on caroline street when venturing off campus.

hippies, tree huggers, living green, jewish, wealthy

Mitchell

Skidmore is maybe a little bit too small for me. I spend most of my time in the dorms or the dining hall. During the winter its a college town, but in the summer its a horse racing town.

The huge majority of students are white and upper middle class or higher. Most students are politically liberal, but not very many people vote. If there are four tables in the dining hall, one is Asians, one is athletes, and the other two are mixtures of all the other types of students. Most students are from the New York City area or New England.

There are a lot of artsy kids, but also a huge variety of others. Pot smoking is relatively prevalent, but drinking moreso. The only sport that people really go out to watch is hockey.

All the professors I've ever had know my name.

The Skidmore Outing Club is popular.

Everyone is artsy and smokes pot. Nobody cares about sports

Mary

Skidmore students do tend to dress to look the part of a hipster, but most of us really do care about each other, the community, and the world in general.

Professors at Skidmore are almost always willing to help you with anything you need. All you have to do is ask. Academic resources are always in abundance so long as the student takes the initiative.

Oh she's a "Skidmore student" often means that the person is overly artsy or a hipster who could care less about anything that is not a part of her daily life.

Nico

SKidmore is great! God, the kids are so wonderful and it is such a treat to be surrounded by people who care about a culture, because the more I travel to other colleges, the more I realize that it is a rarity. The administration is trying to bolster Sciences right now, which is great but it is really important to the students who are at Skidmore that it retain its emphasis on the arts. When I read about Skidmore when I was applying, the college guide said, "this school puts the ARTS in liberal arts." Sold. There is not the conventional sense of school pride at Skidmore (ie supporting sports teams) but students are generally active in whatever it is that they are interested in and there are always people starting up new clubs and initiatives. The best thing about Skidmore is that if you want to see a change, or get something started it is relatively easy to do! This year the "anti-sweatshop labor club" got the school to switch brands of toilet paper and paper towels in all the bathrooms because KimberlyClark was not ethical. That's pretty cool.

Most students are from New England. The dining hall is super modern and the food is pretty decent, there is always SOMETHING to eat--which is pretty surprising for such a small school. You are as involved as you want to be. Conservative/Republican students are precious because there are so few.

Stereotypes come from somewhere, but these are extremes, most people are a little trendy, like to smoke pot, like to go out, but when it's finals time work comes first. The dress code really is American Apparel.

What sold me on Skidmore was my visit. The kid who showed me around told me that Skidmore was the type of place where your professors wanted to see you grow, and it's so true. All my classes have been less than 30 people, and once you get in to the 300 levels for literature there are usually about 15-17 students, which makes for a really great time. Grades are important, but to the individual--it is not a competitive place academically and that is one thine I particularly love: coincidentally almost all my friends are English majors and we often discuss the classes we are in (together or not) or the works we are reading but these conversations are important because we are actually listening to one another, not trying to prove something. Skidmore feels safe--which when you leave the "bubble" can be hard to swallow: not every administrator or teacher you encounter is going to care about you the way the Skidmore community does.

Athletics are not big, except for Dance clubs. A Cappella is standard, but the groups are subpar. We get great musical acts every semester through SEC and Lively Lucy's. We also get some really amazing guest speakers. The theater productions are usually sold out or close to it. Freshmen year is when you really cement who you are close with and after that people kind of stick to their groups til senior year when everyone realizes its the end. There is always a big halloween party, and in the spring we have fun day which is just like it sounds. Kids like to drink, but if you don't drink every friday night is something in the student center (ie guest speaker or games or whatever) and saturday nights there are free movies that aren't out in the stores yet. Off Campus are house parties and bars.

The Skidmore stereotype has evolved over the last 5 years from stoner hippies with green hair to pretentious trendy kids. The dress code is American Apparel.

Skidmore College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.