Saratoga Springs, NY
Skidmore College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skidmore College

Katy

After nearly completing my first year at Skidmore College I can honestly say I love it. The academics are by far the most impressive characteristic of Skidmore, which I assume would be the goal of any college institution. Although challenging, the courses are informative and I have enjoyed each one I've been in. The professors really seem to care and they want you to succeed. I can tell that my journey here at Skidmore will continue to be a wonderful one. The life-long friendships I have made are incredible, and I have yet to even finish my first year here! I am a member of the volleyball team, which has also been an amazing experience. The athletics aren't taken as seriously by the other students as I'm used to, but I think that can be fixed. Just one more downside among hundreds of upsides: the nightlife. Most Friday and Saturday nights, most students are downtown, in 21+ bars and clubs. This puts the pressure on students to partake in the usage of Fake IDs, which poses a huge problem to Skidmore - as it is against the law and could reflect poorly on Skidmore if students continue to get caught. Fortunately, this is something that can be fixed, and I'm sure it will be. Overall, Skidmore has become a place that I will cherish in my heart forever, and I spend the next three years there.

James

Skidmore College is a progressive and environmentally conscious community that praises academic dedication and creative thought in all disciplines.

If I were given the invaluable opportunity to give my younger self advice, I would have so much to tell him. I would tell him to embrace the opportunities that he is presented with so that they do not slip through his fingers. Furthermore, I would tell him how important these years are in his life. These are the only years of your life you get to choose what you want to learn and, on top of that, you get to spend all of your time learning rather than paying bills or running errands. He should be reminded of how fortunate he is and that he must put his best foot forward as it will eventually get him where he wants to be in the future. I would also tell him to take advantage of study abroad programs and learn another language! There is nothing better for your communication and presentation skills than knowing that you can communicate the same view in two languages. I would emphasize that this is the beginning of a beautiful four years and you will find what you are passionate about in time but, on that voyage be sure to give every assignment your best.

The type of student that should attend Skidmore is one that is open-minded, forward thinking, and academically focused.

Beal

Skidmore is wonderful! It caters to a wide variety of student interests—both academically and extracurricularly—is centrally located, is in the heart of a beautiful Upstate New York town, and has provided me with a top-notch education. Its perfect size, 2,400 students, means that I'm always meeting new people and still surrounded by so many familiar faces. The campus itself is beautiful in every season, and was built to facilitate even harsh winters. Its location—in quaint Saratoga Springs, just 3 hours from Boston, Montreal, and New York City, and 20 minutes from the Adirondacks—makes me feel like I'm not so isolated, which college can sometimes feel. The sheer range of classes offered and the flexibility in courses and research and employment opportunities keeps every student busy. I love that the education I'm receiving here is very customizable.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

During the summer before my senior year of high school, I was lucky enough to be able to spend a week on campus at the New York State Summer Young Writers' Institute. At the time, I wasn't really considering Skidmore, but decided to apply anyway because I knew what the school was like and had spent some time on campus. It was only toward the end of my college search that I realized that Skidmore would be a terrific match for me, with its strong English department, vibrant small town community, and amazing financial aid packages. Ultimately, I chose Skidmore as a result of the aid I received, because Saratoga Springs is an incredible community of which I wanted to be a part, and because I found here an active, and, compared to the other schools I was looking at, diverse student body.

What do people really wear to class?

There's such a mix of styles. Some students will wear sweatpants and sweatshirts to class, but I've had professors who request that students present themselves more respectfully. It varies greatly, however. I'm often surprised by how "adventurous" people get with skirt/short lengths and low-cut shirts. It's really based on personal choice. Saratoga Springs has dozens of fun boutiques if you're interested in shopping, and we're located 5 minutes from a mall, so usually students' wardrobes increase during their time here. There are certainly different constituencies on campus in terms of style: the "hipsters" and the "jocks" quickly come to mind, but I don't fit into either of those categories, nor do many other people at this campus, and that's very much accepted.

What are your classes like?

They're small! Less than one percent of classes here have more than 50 students. I've never had a class with more than 25 students. My professors are always engaged in the actual practice of teaching their students, and are not solely interested in achieving tenure or completing research. Every first year student takes a seminar called a Scribner Seminar, which is capped at 16 students. The professor for this seminar (which can be on any subject) becomes your advisor until you declare your major, which creates a strong student-teacher relationship. All professors make themselves available before and after class, through email, and via office hours, to talk to their students. The structure of classes varies greatly depending upon the professors. There's often, however, as in most college classes, lots of reading and several papers per semester. What makes Skidmore great is that professors are always willing to help with revisions and give guidance on these papers and on any other questions you may have.

Commonly, the stereotype of students at many small liberal arts colleges is similar: Caucasian, privileged students who don't work as hard as they should. At Skidmore, this couldn't be farther from the truth. I am so impressed by the school's emphasis on embracing all types of diversity—through opportunity programs, admissions counselors' emphasis on international students, and the clubs and classes at the school. Skidmore is unique among comparable schools because of this emphasis, and I think that most visiting students recognize this difference when comparing Skidmore to similar schools.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Skidmore is a small liberal arts college in Upstate New York that combines an elite education with a tight-knit, involved student body. There is a strong emphasis both on personalized education as well as on extracurricular clubs and organizations. I like Skidmore because if you have your mind set on something that you want to do, you can do it. But, if you're undecided, you'll find your niche as well!

Describe the dorms.

Dorm rooms at Skidmore are huge. They are pretty much very uniform, but that creates an opportunity for students to get creative with decorating! (Almost) every room has a window seat, which is great for people-watching, contemplating, and doing homework. The majority of dorms are suite-style, which means that there are two either doubles or triples and two singles united around a common bathroom. The high number of singles means that, as a sophomore, it is very easy to live in a single. There are also two sets of apartment-style housing for students, primarily for juniors and seniors. The junior housing is in the process of being completely renovated, and the senior housing is nicer than any housing you'd find in Saratoga Springs, which is a beautiful town. Thus, this campus is very residential. Social life revolves around dorms and apartments and the friends you make there. Additionally, first-year students are housed according to their first-year seminars, a class that every student is required to take. More than one seminar lives in each residence hall, but it means that you get to know these students very well—I am still good friends with many kids from my seminar.

What's the Greek scene like?

There isn't one! Students unite around other commonalities (and differences)! The social life instead revolves around clubs, performance groups, and even classes. Lack of Greek life was a big draw for me when I applied to Skidmore. I think that because of it Skidmore is a much more inclusive and open community.

Every year, right before finals, we have "Fun Day," an aptly named festivity. It is held outdoors, and the entire school heads to Library Green in hopes to forget their impending work for just a few hours. Student bands play all day, and there are bounce houses and a slip 'n' slide, as well as lots of free food and goodies. It is an opportunity to, at the end of the year, see all of your friends in one place, dance, and start working on that tan. (Wear sunscreen!) A newer tradition that I hope will continue is the Tang Party. It, too, is an outdoor event that is held on a Friday evening in the spring. It consists of an outdoor student art installation all around the campus museum (the Tang), student bands, and a movie that is projected on the side of this giant building (see http://tang.skidmore.edu).

There are so many fun events on campus that it would be impossible to attend them all. There is such a wide range of events, but the most popular weekend events usually revolve around student music clubs and bands and a cappella groups and student comedy groups. We have a myriad of each of these things, and their performances take different shapes throughout the year, sometimes performing in the dining hall, outside the Tang Museum, in the student center, or on the green.

Aidan

This is pretty much the perfect school for me. When looking for colleges, I wanted a small school with a curriculum that would allow me to explore a variety of academic areas to find the program I was most passionate about. Skidmore was unique among schools I visited in that it seemed to be the most balanced academically. There did not seem to be one particular program that was emphasized on the tour, or any academic area that admissions literature touted above others. Skidmore is great because all of our programs are so strong that you will get a great education in whatever area you decide to major in.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

The first thing that comes to mind is the day of the lecture given by Dr. Cornel West. This is my absolute favorite event that I have attended on campus so far, which is saying something because there have been so many amazing events. Dr. West filled up our large concert hall on campus. I actually had to sit up in the balcony, but the lecture was still amazing. He spoke for about an hour and a half, and I am truly privileged to have been able to attend the lecture. The next day, Dr. West was visiting a sociology class, and I happened to be in the building at the time and actually got to meet him. Skidmore does bring fantastic speakers and guests to campus, so an experience like this one is actually quite common.

Skidmore's campus is absolutely beautiful. In the warmer months, it is lush and green, while it can be completely covered in snow during the winter. Most of campus is taken up by an large area of woods the size of Central Park known as Northwoods. Most of the buildings are made of brick, and are set upon a beautiful upstate New York backdrop. One of my favorite spots on campus is down by Haupt Pond, which is a small body of water we have on campus. We have a large green near the pond that students regularly hang out on, and our annual Fun Day takes place on this green.

Describe a typical weekend.

I tend to study and do schoolwork for most of the day on weekends. I am also in a campus improv group, which rehearses for two hours on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I usually have dinner with my friends, and then we typically go to some event in the evenings. With student performances, outside guests, activities in town, and parties, there is typically so much going on on campus and in town that I often have to miss at least one event that I would otherwise like to go to.

One of my favorite campus traditions at Skidmore is an annual event known as Fun Day, which typically takes place at the end of April or early May. The entire campus gathers on south park green for a day of revelry and merriment. Our student government association rents out a selection of inflatables for students to use for the day. Additionally, a great line of student bands play for all in attendance. One of the reasons that I chose to go abroad during the fall semester is to ensure that I will not miss Fun Day.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Skidmore is a division III athletic school. This means that our students are the equivalent of scholar athletes, meaning that academics always come first. We also do not offer any athletic scholarships. That being said, athletics are still popular on campus, and our status as a division III school in no way diminishes the quality of our athletic programs. There is also tremendous school pride, and students regularly turn out in mass to support Skidmore's student athletes.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

My favorite place to study on campus is on the second or third floor of Skidmore's main campus library. The library has these great window seats on the side of the building. Each one has a great, comfortable chair and footstool, and overlook out beautiful south park green. I have spent many hours a day working in this area, and absolutely love it. Students also often study in their own rooms, or in our student center.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Skidmore's top seven majors are: English, business, studio art, psychology, biology, government, and international affairs. Though these may be our top majors, we have strong programs in more than fifty different programs, so any type of student will be able to find a great area in which to major.

Skidmore has a great program that it offers through the Capital District Transportation Authority. As part of this program, a CDTA bus stops outside of our student center every half hour. As a Skidmore student, you can ride the bus directly in to town with your student ID. Even though downtown Saratoga Springs is only a ten-minute walk away, the bus is great when the weather gets cold or rainy.

Be open-minded with what you plan to study at Skidmore. It's totally fine if you come in with an idea of what you want to major in, but Skidmore has so many great options that I think it's best to explore as much as you can. Maybe you will stick with your planned major, but maybe you'll like that one elective course you take first semester so much that you'll want to change that plan. This is the experience I had early in my career at Skidmore, and it has worked out so well that I would recommend keeping an open mind to all students.

What's the Greek scene like?

Skidmore has absolutely no Greek life. I was never exposed to Greek life, so I do not have anything to compare my experience with, but I love the social life at Skidmore, and it works just perfectly without fraternities or sororities.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Skidmore because it fit all of the criteria I was looking for in a college. I went to a small high school, and was looking for a small size college because that is what I became used to in college. I was also unsure about what I wanted to major in, so I was interested in a liberal arts school that would allow me to explore a variety of different areas in order to find the best program for me. Skidmore had a very different feel than any other college I looked at. It felt like all of its academic offerings were very balanced, and I would be able to get a great education in whatever program I decided to study. I ended up applying early decision to Skidmore College, and I would not change my decision in any way.

The academics are rigorous and can be difficult. That being said, the professors are absolutely wonderful. Every single one of them is more than willing to meet with students outside of class. Every single professor I have had at Skidmore so far has known me by name. Student-professor relationships were very important to me when looking at colleges, and I could not be more thrilled with how these interactions work at Skidmore.

Joseph

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Skidmore is a small liberal arts college located just north of Saratoga Springs, New York (about a half an hour north of Albany). It is known primarily for its business, studio art, and English departments, though as a liberal arts school, most of the departments are strong as a whole. There are about 2500 students, all undergrads, 60-40 girl to guy ratio.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Once a week works for me, enough for my parents to know that I am alive but independent and to update them with all the happenings for the week prior.

When you step off campus what do you see?

The road that leads to campus is lined with mansions from the affluent town of Saratoga. To the north is woods, including mountain biking trails and beaver dams. Headed further from the mansions is a downtown with over 100 restaurants, as well as high end stores and various other buildings including a film forum and several bars.

The Tang, our modern art museum, is an incredibly unique building. For one, it is a teaching museum, so the entire collection is accessible to any student or class that requests to look at it. It is built such that there is a staircase up and back down to the roof of the building with a nice little area on top to relax. The campus as a whole is extremely well maintained and truly does encompass the balance between buildings, forest, and grassy green.

My favorite tradition is definitely Fun Day--a campus carnival put on every spring by the student government. It is a day of live music, sunshine, inflatable rides, and fun of all sorts. Beyond that, the tree lighting ceremony every winter is amazing; we light up the major covered walkway with lights and on a snowy day it looks incredible.

Tell us about your professors.

I am on a first-name basis with the majority of my professors. They almost all have the highest degree in their respective field yet still take the time to make sure that they are accessible to everyone. In the Geosciences department we have barbeques with the students and professors every month which is a lot of fun, I have been to several professor's houses and met their families/pets. That being said they are not afraid to give me a challenge within the classes often hinting that we should approach them if we have any trouble.

Describe the dorms.

Housing a guaranteed all four years and the dorms are spacious and comfortable. The dorms are suite style so bathrooms are never shared with more than 8 people. Suites are single-gender though the floors are both male and female. There is also gender neutral housing in one of the dorms. Every dorm room contains a window seat which is one of my favorite little details about the school.

What's the Greek scene like?

There is no Greek life on campus at all.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

We have one dining hall which accommodates all dietary restrictions and has a beautiful interior. A visiting friend described it as 'eating inside a modern art museum.' Being a vegetarian I always find delicious options of food to eat beyond just the salad bar. There are also several quick cafes to get food at the most prominent being called the Spa. The Spa serves classic fried up food and during the weekend is open until 2am usually with live entertainment such as Friday night standup.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The quiet floor of the library is without a doubt the best place to get work done. If not, then in the various lounges for the academic departments or in the student center if working with a group.

What do students complain about most?

In the winter students complain about the cold and the unrelenting snow storms (though this year was an exception). For the most part students complain that there are things they want to do that they just don't have the time to, such as take certain classes with specific professors or make a trip up to Montreal for a weekend.

Built primarily in the 70s, Skidmore is a monument to brutalist architecture in the woods. There are several open greens with bright green grass in the spring, and piles of snow in the winter. Buildings are generally brick or cement, many with vines growing up them. Our dining hall and music center are especially beautiful pieces of modern architecture, linking the landscape to the building and its uses. The buildings don't compete with the landscape whether it is the wide greens or the lightly forested areas of campus, it seems natural the way the paths were designed to flow with the slopes of the campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Because we are division III, we have no scholarships for athletes, rather every athlete is a scholar with a focus on academics. As a school we do not have a football or a track team, though our riding team is one of the top in the country. Basketball games are immensely fun, we were actually voted on ESPN for having one of the best games of 2011 due to a basketball game that went into 7 overtimes which Skidmore won. Athletes are just regular students here, it is not as though there is a scene that glorifies them. That being said, sports are respected here just not as the end-all-be-all of the school.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I knew I wanted to study Environmental Science, but I didn't want to be limited to just engineering schools. I wanted to continue taking fiddle lessons and explore other completely non-related fields of academic interest. I also knew that I wanted a lively town to go to but an independent campus with plenty of open space. Skidmore fit the bill for all of this.

For a smaller school there are constantly events going on whether it is live music, sporting events, guest speakers, or a whole mess of other fun activities. Because there is no Greek system here nothing is exclusive which holds true for most every party. I can honestly say that no two weekends at Skidmore are the same, I have gone on essentially impromptu trips to Washington D.C. with the Environmental Action Club, been to parties with amazing live music or d.j.s, seen comedy shows and jazz concerts, you name it. During the week students generally study and work hard to enjoy the freedom of the weekend that much more.

Minh

Students often shut their dorm doors. Guest speakers and theater events are quite popular, more than athletic events, I met my closest friends in the International Pre-orientation program. Homework Halloween ball, weekend parties, Reunion, etc. They party every weekend There's no Greek life here. I was in NYC last weekend. Watching movies.

Professors remember your name if you interact with them regularly. My most favorite classes are in the business and economics dept. while least favorite one was with music dept. Students do not study hard at least in business dept. Class participation is common. Students sometime have intellectual conversations but in a relaxing way. Students are not competitive at all. The most unique class was Dance experience in which I learned how to dance Ballet twice a week. I major in Business and we have a strong dept. here. I do spend time w/ professors outside of class and have good bonding with them. Academic requirements was too broad and not deep enough, in another word, too liberal. Both.

Some stereotypes would be students are laid back, music lovers; majority of them major in English, Business and Studio Arts. This is a somewhat accurate stereotype.

Ryan

The A cappella groups are probably the most attended events aside from the theater shows, but other clubs such as sports teams, comedy groups, art shows, concerts and lectures draw huge crowds too.

While the liberal mindset is common and can get annoying when everyone has one way of thinking, i have found that there are people from all walks of life and from all belief systems, and not always what you would think when first meeting people. You have to be ready to defend you're own beliefs intelligently though, some people can get pretty defensive and it's good to know your stuff.

It's the perfect mix of structure and freedom. I constantly feel pressure to do well and to work hard but at the same time I never feel drowned in work or that I cant go to my professor if i have any issues.

Hipster stoners mostly, but that's not all that accurate for the majority of kids on campus.

Reg

Skidmore has some cons, but has so any pros that the cons are easy to forget. The major con I can think of is that there is little co-departmental cooperation. For the most part departments, and the students and faculty within stay to themselves. But, are strengths also lie in our academics. We have many talented faculty in a load of departments. And within most departments there are great student-student relationships. Student life benefits froms this as there are numerous opportunities to stay entertained and active on campus.

We have loads of a capella groups and comedy groups. They ar probably the most popular. But, we also have UJIMA, which is a african american and latino culture pride club, who put on great events like the UJIMA Fashion show. Also, there is something going on literally every weekend. There is no stop to the weekend excitement OH! We also have a great student run blog called skidmoreunofficial.com. Its rad.

We are interested in SO many things at Skidmore. LITERALLY everyone has specific interests that they are excited about. However, students at Skidmore are fairly apathetic, so you need a good organizer to get thing started.

The academics are great here. We dont have many co-departmental opportunities, but other than that there are great departments here. Sociology, for example has great professors in professors Scarce, Brueggemann, Walzer and Berhide.

White, rich entitled. Couldn't be more wrong. We have great mix of identities from people of color to whites, from poor to rich, from straight to homosexual, it is all really great.

Well, people think we are a bunch of white entitled kids, lazy and obsessed with meaningless art. This is, however, not even close to the rich diversity of student life we have at Skidmore.

Kevin

There's a pretty big stereotype that everyone here is a druggy hipster. While there is a small demographic that can be accurately described as that, most Skidmore students are entirely different. Skidmore students are artistic, creative, athletic, intellectual, fun-loving, caring, kind, any positive adjective can be applied to 99% of the student body!

Leo

Skidmore students benefit from small class sizes and professors teaching every class, and are able to engage in one on one research opportunities with faculty that dont often happen on a undergraduate level. I have enjoyed being challenged by my classes at Skidmore and working closely with faculty- these experiences have certainly shaped my academic growth.

Skidmore College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.