Saratoga Springs, NY
Skidmore College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skidmore College

Dan

Skidmore hosts an academic environment that is challenging and requires creativity in all aspects of education. However, the assumption that a small liberal arts school is flawless in its student body is widespread when applying for this school. The student body is not clique, its just organized by interests. That being said, most students feature a broad education and many interests, debunking the clique image.

Skidmore has a restless diversity-based conversation on campus that doesn't seem to stop. Being latino, I was surprised with how much bickering and shallowness took place amongst these discussions. That being said, it hardly affected my life and therefore amounted to little in my college experience.

On the whole, Skidmore is a great college with a majority of nice folks that are creative, smart, and open minded. However, there are a few individuals that choose to represent Skidmore at the worst of times. I cannot stress the importance of ignoring these individuals.

No. The student diversity on campus is satisfying, to suggest that it is not would be misleading.

With the student professor ratio being 9:1, students get plenty of attention from professors. Students are competitive with themselves, not each other- which fosters a healthy academic environment for college students. The requirements are broad, allowing students to take classes they want rather than classes they might not enjoy.

I would not say there is such a thing as "most popular" anything on campus. The campus just does not function in that manner. That being said, there are more popular a capella groups, comedy groups and clubs than others. Greek life is nonexistent on campus.

Most people tend to stereotype Skidmore students as hipsters and artsy students. While this holds true for a small percentage of the student body, it is largely inaccurate.

Ben

Skidmore is a great size for me, I came from a small high school and I was ready for a school of this size. The ability to take mostly discussion classes and get to know professors really sets Skidmore apart from its peers. Our professors care about our lives outside the classroom and are invested in our futures whether or not it involves their field of study. This to me should be the major selling point of the school, professors who care and take the open door policy to heart.

Students have a wide variety of interests and this creates great intellectual discussion on campus. Students are generally very open to all types of people and would love for a more diverse student body. The reality of the situation is that it is hard for a private school in upstate New York to full of diversity, look at our peers who lag behind us. Students are from all across the country and globe, and the student body is more diverse every year. Students are not very politically aware but generally lean more left then right.

I have loved my three years at Skidmore and will be sad to see it go after I graduate next year. Don't let stereotypes be the only way you hear about our campus. Check out the schools website and talk to a student they have the real answers.

Skidmore's student body is not as diverse as some schools that are in more urban locations, but in comparing Skidmore to other peer schools we match up quite well. The fact that there is dialogue on campus about the lack of diversity puts us ahead of many peer schools that don't even question the disparity in diversity. Nearly half the student body receives grant money from the college to attend partially debunking the all rich students myth. As for drug use Skidmore is no more extreme then any other college campus and while the reputation is of a drug school students are extremely intellectual and learning goes on beyond the classroom.

As I mentioned above professors have a vested interest in your success and care about you even if you are not in their major. I spend time every week with professors not discussing any specific assignment. The academic requirements allow for a wide array of classes to be taken, while the school encourages certain areas of study with many choices for specific classes. Skidmore's education creates a great balance of learning to learn and preparation for the reality that we as students need to get jobs and earn a living after graduation.

Skidmore is full of social events on and off campus. This is an area where Saratoga Springs really adds to the Skidmore experience. The vast array of restaurants downtown provide great dinner opportunities, while there are always concerts at various bars and the SPAC. On campus the Outing club is huge. On the weekends its hard to be on campus and not hear a band of students performing in one of the on campus apartments. It's pretty hard to not find something to do during the weekends with so many events on and off campus to choose from.

Skidmore students are potheads with rich parents and has very little diversity within the student body.

Brendan

Skidmore has much more to offer than does the typical liberal arts in that we have the top Exercise Sciences program of liberal arts institutions in the country, one of the top 3-2 (three years at Skidmore and two years at Dartmouth) Engineering programs, and some of the best musical talent around. Some of the more creative founders and CEO's of top companies in the nation and the world are Skidmore alumnae. I was considering Trinity College and Oberlin, which are also great institutions academically, but the small, historic, classy city of Saratoga Springs and moreover the campus at Skidmore caught my attention

While the majority of any liberal arts institution enrolls students primarily from the Northeast United States, there are a significant percentage (total hypothesis, ~20%) widespread domestically and abroad. Students at Skidmore wear everything from sweats to suits, depending on one's mood (and of course for class presentations). There is no 'standard' dress or 'standard' person at Skidmore. Like I said, we're all creative, fun, and different.

The latter three of these describe that vast majority of Skidmore students accurately.

I came here to pursue Engineering, but quickly found an interest in the science of the human body, "Health & Exercise Sciences," and discovered the unique Management and Business program that is geared to prepare you to present and learn any particular discipline in which you would like to concentrate your studies. Most students out of the Exercise Sciences major end up going to grad school for the likes of PA, NP, PT, or medical school. The "Pre-Med" program here is second to none, and I have many friends in the major who took the five extra classes required to pursue this path. Most students out of the Business major end up either working in whatever city they prefer (usually NYC or Boston), and our alumni and parents of students are more than willing to help with the process. Many of these students pursue graduate studies.

We don't have fraternities of sororities... sorry, if you are looking for that type of school, I suggest going to a state school or university. Every weekend, there is a performance of the arts on campus. We have the largest museum outside of NYC in New York State. We have some of the best athletic teams in the nation in the fall and spring. Many people will study on the weekends, and stay in most of the nights to get ahead for next week! What a concept! After all, sleep is good. It's science! But, of course, if you enjoy the drinking scene, and are of age (have to say that I guess), then you can enjoy the party scene downtown. We have the most bars per capita outside of NYC in the nation. Hmmm, another fun fact. Drink responsibly, as it is easy to get lost in any city!

Artsy, creative, fun, and different.

Erica

I once heard that high school is the mouse race that prepares you for the rat race. When I was in high school, I thought that everything was peachy keen. I was on the Varsity Dance Team, straight A’s (although there was an occasional B), an amazing boyfriend, and loyal friends. Academics were always pretty easy for me from elementary to high; I even learned how to read before Kindergarten. My education took a turn when I got accepted into Nursing School. I have to study 24/7, perform well on tests because extra credit isn’t offered, and show in my clinicals how I’m going to be an excellent nurse. If I could go back and tell myself what I know now, I'd say use your time wisely. When you aren’t devoting your time to dance, devote your time to expanding your knowledge. Knowledge is power. I’d tell myself to talk to a counselor to seek financial assistance before now. I’d explore the options of scholarships as a senior so I wouldn’t have to write essays when I’m almost through college. All these ideas would prepare me for the rat race.

Aaron

My college experience inspired me to take my life and career into my own hands and seize greater control. Twenty years ago I decided to skip the college experience and go into life head-on. A couple years into that head-on experience I entered a trade school and managed to get myself 15 years experience in the radio business. As time progressed and things changed, it took less to do more in the industry I love. Consequently fewer people are needed to operate in the radio business and keep it at a minimum and clients get less attention. Those relationships are very important to me and acquiring the tools to better serve them beyond the scope of radio is my long term goal. Now, twenty years later I’ve decided to go back and put in the time to get the education that will afford me the opportunities to get beyond where trade school has taken me.

Abby

the art and music departments... Creative Thought Matters

the art and music departments... Creative Thought Matters

I've really grown up since I've been at Skidmore; socially, academically, and athletically. I've matured in all aspects of my life. Socially, I've made some of my best friends and cherish our close relationships, which I know will carry on after we all graduate and throughout the rest of our lives. Academically, I've accomplished more than I thought I would every be able to and can now apply what I've learned to the real world and have an in-depth conversation about topics I didn't even think about a few years earlier. And athletically, my passion for the game has grown immensely and my leadership has really blossomed into where I can relate to each player individually and help them out on the field or off. All of these things are incredibly valuable and will help me in all my future endeavors.

How much fun it is and the great town that it's located in!

Erin

I would say that anyone who is interested in a diverse, urban environment should not pursue Skidmore College for their higher education. Saratoga Springs is a beautiful and quaint town to live in for four years, but unfortunately you will not see how the knowledge of your classes reflects in the larger community until after you graduate.

Skidmore College provided me with a nurturing and challenging environment, in which I discovered and more importantly, cultivated my passion for Visual Art, Music, and Poetry. It was through the guidance of teachers and the inspiration of friends that I pushed myself farther than I ever thought I could go. I took an independent study in Monotype Printmaking with two art professors all to myself. I served as the President of our student arts organization, PROARTS, where we organized parties and educational panels, raised grant money, and opened a new exhibition in the student gallery every week. We even won Best Club of the Year from the Student Government. While at Skidmore , I was given the chance to work in three departments of the Tang Teaching Museum and Gallery, as well as make a forty minute documentary about gender and sexuality. It was there that I learned how to play the card game Spades, which was the subject of a second documentary. I would spend hours every night in the student center playing Spades with people I still consider my best friends to this day. It was valuable to attend because I learned about hard work, personal character, and creativity.

College immediately dropped me off into an independant world of time management, money, and self-motivation. The most important advances I've made in college so far are actually not from academics (yet), but in my own personality and in the way I conquer everyday problems in life. From interactions with roommates and strange professors, to keeping track of my own finances and doing my own laundry, college is a fantastic transition between home life under parental supervision to determining your own limits and values and how to take care of yourself in a real world setting, without being too scary - you're not entirely on your own just yet!

The worst thing about this school is easily the cost. It costs approximately 52 k to attend Skidmore College - a hefty price, but worth it for the quality of the education.

Skidmore college's motto is "Creative Thought Matters." Ideally a Skidmore student is creative and a true liberal arts student in that they enjoy a wide variety of subjects. Many students here are interested in some form of the arts, and do not want to sacrifice between their artistic side and their academic side.

Daniel

My school is a small college that emphasizes creativity in an environment that is relaxed and quiet.

The type of person that shouldn't attent my school is one that is not open to change and not open to seeing the world in all of its reality. Skidmore College is full of people that do al l types of different things, but it still has its characteristics that definitly highlight the reality that it is mostly the privledged that make it into college.

My college experience has been eye opening. Coming from Cambridge, Massachusetts, I was accustomed to having the ability to appreciate different populations of people. However, when I came to Skidmore I realized that I would not have that same ability. Most of the kids I met were Caucasian, and those who were not mostly stayed together. From the first day I began to become familiar with my surroundings, I felt I was experiencing for the first times the result of inequality that still persists in our country. I am not taking anything away from the students enrolled, for they did the work needed to earn acceptance. However, as I took classes in sociology and social work, I learned that people of color and various populations of lower socioeconomic statuses are systematically left out of the picture of opportunity. A vicious cycle of poverty and stigmatization has minimized the ability for everyone to achieve the "American Dream" I feel I am partially living. As a result, I have found a passion in educating others about inequality and hope to find a career in trying to induce social change in these matters.

Skidmore College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.