Saratoga Springs, NY
Skidmore College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skidmore College

College immediately dropped me off into an independant world of time management, money, and self-motivation. The most important advances I've made in college so far are actually not from academics (yet), but in my own personality and in the way I conquer everyday problems in life. From interactions with roommates and strange professors, to keeping track of my own finances and doing my own laundry, college is a fantastic transition between home life under parental supervision to determining your own limits and values and how to take care of yourself in a real world setting, without being too scary - you're not entirely on your own just yet!

The worst thing about this school is easily the cost. It costs approximately 52 k to attend Skidmore College - a hefty price, but worth it for the quality of the education.

Skidmore college's motto is "Creative Thought Matters." Ideally a Skidmore student is creative and a true liberal arts student in that they enjoy a wide variety of subjects. Many students here are interested in some form of the arts, and do not want to sacrifice between their artistic side and their academic side.

Daniel

My school is a small college that emphasizes creativity in an environment that is relaxed and quiet.

The type of person that shouldn't attent my school is one that is not open to change and not open to seeing the world in all of its reality. Skidmore College is full of people that do al l types of different things, but it still has its characteristics that definitly highlight the reality that it is mostly the privledged that make it into college.

My college experience has been eye opening. Coming from Cambridge, Massachusetts, I was accustomed to having the ability to appreciate different populations of people. However, when I came to Skidmore I realized that I would not have that same ability. Most of the kids I met were Caucasian, and those who were not mostly stayed together. From the first day I began to become familiar with my surroundings, I felt I was experiencing for the first times the result of inequality that still persists in our country. I am not taking anything away from the students enrolled, for they did the work needed to earn acceptance. However, as I took classes in sociology and social work, I learned that people of color and various populations of lower socioeconomic statuses are systematically left out of the picture of opportunity. A vicious cycle of poverty and stigmatization has minimized the ability for everyone to achieve the "American Dream" I feel I am partially living. As a result, I have found a passion in educating others about inequality and hope to find a career in trying to induce social change in these matters.

Skidmore truly is an academic environment with a strong commitment to creative thought. All of the teachers, professors and teaching assistants are strongly commited tosupporting academic excellence. In addition there is a campus wide commitment to social causes for the benefit of all mankind.

My entire experience at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs New York enriched both my knowledge and compassion for my fellow human being. Besides a rigorous academic life there were multiple opportunities for me to participate in personal interests and volunteer activities. I was fortunate to be involoved with a yearly program campus wide in promoting action against violence towards women. This week long campus activity concluded with our perfomance of Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monolugues. In my senior year I was the director of this play and we raised $4000 and gave half to Eve Ensler's charity and half to the Saratoga Springs Womens Battered Center. This is just one example of how I benefited from my total experience at Skidmore and why I would like to continue in graduate school in my chosen field of psychology.

Looking back, high school seems both light years away and merely days away. To acknowledge the number of years it has been since high school is both terrifying and relieving. After the initial shock of seeing my younger self (my hair didn't look like that?!) I would start out by giving myself a reality check. I would say that people weren't magically going to mature over the course of a summer, and most people would stay the same. I'd remind myself not to expect everything to change for the better as soon as I stepped onto the hallowed campus grounds. Most importantly though, I would tell myself to ignore those people who told me college was supposed to be the best four years of my life. They're wrong, but that's okay. I have years of my life left to be the best. It would be depressing to reach that so early. There is no sense in rushing it all. Then, I would probably quote a master and say, "Here's looking at you kid," and time travel right out again, because really, life is too short not to go for some flair.

How expensive it is. I do not think that the school is worth the exhorbitant tution fee.

I wish I had known how cold it would be, how immature people would be, and that there would not be the facilities that I could keep my horse at. Also, I have been very disappointed in some of the teaching, and I wish I had know how little value for money I would get.

Karen

My classmates have their own inscurites, and I thought I was the only one.

My classmates have their own inscurites, and I thought I was the only one.

Skidmore College is a private institute. Private institues offer greater resources, services, and faculty because these they hold better value. I saw Skidmore as a place where I would have the opportunity to concentrate on my studies. A place where all my acadmeic needs would be fufilled, such as small classrooms, effective professors, a library, a dinning hall, my dorm room, school services, and the beauty of my campus. I was daring enough to temporarly leave my life in the New York City, to fully dedicate myself to my studies at a place that I considered to be the best.

I f I could talk to my eigthteen year old self, I would advise myself to make practical decisions. I have declared education as my major and american studies as my minor. I wish I would have declared spanish as my minor instead because as a future teacher I would probably be better off when it comes to finding a job. My Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) advisor, Lewis, advised me to minor in Spanish, but I did not listen. My mother too kept insisting that I study Spanish. I was reluctant to study Spanish, and even now I do not understand why. I simply thought that it was some sort of descrimination, that because I was Spanish I had to study Spanish. I was so wrong. Making the practical decision of studying Spanish in the first place would have been benefical. I would be bilingual in two languages English and Spanish. I can speak both languages now, but I would love to professionally develop and practice them more in writing and reading as well. I believe that I still have time to study Spanish, because this time I want to.

Some of my classmates are rich and spoiled, others are humble and middle class, some are intensely intelligent, others are creative, some are "jocks," some are "art freaks," some are introverted, some are extroverted: there is no one type of person at Skidmore and that is what I love about it.

Five things I didn't know that I didn't know until I went to college: It is possible for a person to truly not understand the importance of boundaries and rules in a group living situation. Don't be afraid or embarassed to tell someone if they are invading your privacy. Even at a small school, your professors will not know things about you that you want them to know unless you tell them. The freshman fifteen is real. Embrace it. Don't save all your homework for Sundays. Its just not enough time anymore. Sleep! Tell all your friends you are sick if you don't want to admit that you'd rather go to bed early on a Friday night than go out and party. Its impossible to be sleep deprived long term and stay your happy bubbly self. Would I have listened to myself if I had actually been able to time travel and give myself advice? Probably not. Some things are best learned by experience. However, I hope this advice can help another upcoming freshman.

A self motivated, hard working, somewhat eccentric person who enjoys liberal company, creative expression, and a small school should attend Skidmore. If you are accepting of others and wish you could be at a school where others readily accept you, then you should attend Skidmore.

Larissa

Coming from a Caribbean island, I have never truly experienced weather below sixty-five degress. Saratogoa Springs drops about eighty degress lower than that. While I knew that I was in for a "deadly" winter experience, it would have been nice to know the illness that comes along with a drop in temperature, and ways of prevention. I was sick for approximately two months this past sememester, which was rather unpleasant. If you are going to a school with weather much colder than your immune system is used to, bring A LOT of vitamin c!

SInging is my source of happiness and a great passion of mine. Upon awaiting my arrival at Skidmore I was eagar participate in vocal lessons to work on my technique. However, voice lessons were audtion based--which includes a classical piece and sight reading. At present, I can do neither. School, as everyone knows, is a place of learning and improvement, I should not be denied lessons simply because I can not sing a classical piece. Skidmore should provide an opportunity for everyone who pleases to develope in this area, not only the already-talented ones.

I have always valued myself as a good friend. I am loyal, a good listener, caring, and always try to be supportive. I was never able to find this in return from my graduating class of forty. I would have a couple of close friends for a period of time but eventually they would decide that ?I was not worth it? and move on. Never able to deduce my classmate?s reasoning, I experienced a lot of heartache throughout my high school years. Stepping onto Skidmore?s campus this past September third, I could not have been more anxious to start my new life and escape the people from home. My first day there, I met some of the most amazing people I have ever met, two of which are my closest friends. I am no longer the shy girl in the corner worrying about what people think of me and if I will be accepted. I get out, I mingle and meet people. I would have love to know that this was awaiting me and that I would see happier days. There are always people to connect with in the world, it is just a matter of finding them.

Alexa

If I encountered my high-school-senior self, I would most definitely tell myself to find myself at Skidmore without forgetting where I came from. As a high school senior, I was already interested in social justice issues and a college major in International Affairs, but I didn't think ahead about exerting myself into the Skidmore community through extracurriculars upon my arrival. I also would have advised myself to focus more on finding a balance between academics and the Skidmore social scene instead of preoccupying myself with making life-long friends the minute I got there. I would have told myself to make sure to talk to immediate and extended family often, for family always proves to be a strong support system, and never let my Skidmore identity overshadow my identity as a member of my family.

The type of person to attend Skidmore has a very open mind and natural creativity. It is imperative that students at Skidmore expose themselves to courses in various academic departments in order to settle on one specific path. A Skidmore student should also be accepting of their surroundings, for there are so many different kinds of people with varying talents and interests who attend Skidmore. Lastly, a Skidmore student should have some sort of musical taste or interest.

When I tell my friends about my school, I brag about the pervasiveness of creativity in the student body, faculty and staff, course structures, and even the architectural design of the school. I also brag about the array of majors and courses one can take and how each academic department is strong in its own way. For example, the Management and Business department is very structured and courses in that department are focused on group projects and case studies whereas the Philosophy department contains courses that are based on intense class discussions.

Rasheed

Skidmore College exemplifies the ideal liberal arts institution because it enables students to develope critical thinking skills through hands on work, projects, independent studies, lectures or discusions, while providing a terrific social scene for all of its students in extra-curriculum activities, parties, the dining hall, and dorm life.

I brag about the financial aid, dining hall, campus safety, and on-campus freedom the most when speaking about my college because these are the things that are significant to me since I started in freshman year.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and the transition, I would advise myself on several things: stop procrastinating and apply for more scholarships because to live comfortably in college, more money is better than less money, because if I won even small awards, I would worry less about having to take out loans in the future. I learned in college that most awards are targeted toward high school students and I would have qualified for many of them. I also would advise myself to become more social and do more activities with my friends during senior year because an open mind and free spirit is fundamental in developing close friendships in college. Finally I would advise myself to eat healthy and exercise because like many students in college, I was preoccupied with work and not noticing my weight gain which was healthy.

abra

Work hard, and use the professors, and faculty. They are here to make sure that you succeed.

The size is great and professors are willing to work closely with students at all times.

The social life could be disappointing

Skidmore College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.