Saratoga Springs, NY
Skidmore College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skidmore College

Skidmore truly is an academic environment with a strong commitment to creative thought. All of the teachers, professors and teaching assistants are strongly commited tosupporting academic excellence. In addition there is a campus wide commitment to social causes for the benefit of all mankind.

My entire experience at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs New York enriched both my knowledge and compassion for my fellow human being. Besides a rigorous academic life there were multiple opportunities for me to participate in personal interests and volunteer activities. I was fortunate to be involoved with a yearly program campus wide in promoting action against violence towards women. This week long campus activity concluded with our perfomance of Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monolugues. In my senior year I was the director of this play and we raised $4000 and gave half to Eve Ensler's charity and half to the Saratoga Springs Womens Battered Center. This is just one example of how I benefited from my total experience at Skidmore and why I would like to continue in graduate school in my chosen field of psychology.

Looking back, high school seems both light years away and merely days away. To acknowledge the number of years it has been since high school is both terrifying and relieving. After the initial shock of seeing my younger self (my hair didn't look like that?!) I would start out by giving myself a reality check. I would say that people weren't magically going to mature over the course of a summer, and most people would stay the same. I'd remind myself not to expect everything to change for the better as soon as I stepped onto the hallowed campus grounds. Most importantly though, I would tell myself to ignore those people who told me college was supposed to be the best four years of my life. They're wrong, but that's okay. I have years of my life left to be the best. It would be depressing to reach that so early. There is no sense in rushing it all. Then, I would probably quote a master and say, "Here's looking at you kid," and time travel right out again, because really, life is too short not to go for some flair.

How expensive it is. I do not think that the school is worth the exhorbitant tution fee.

I wish I had known how cold it would be, how immature people would be, and that there would not be the facilities that I could keep my horse at. Also, I have been very disappointed in some of the teaching, and I wish I had know how little value for money I would get.

Karen

My classmates have their own inscurites, and I thought I was the only one.

My classmates have their own inscurites, and I thought I was the only one.

Skidmore College is a private institute. Private institues offer greater resources, services, and faculty because these they hold better value. I saw Skidmore as a place where I would have the opportunity to concentrate on my studies. A place where all my acadmeic needs would be fufilled, such as small classrooms, effective professors, a library, a dinning hall, my dorm room, school services, and the beauty of my campus. I was daring enough to temporarly leave my life in the New York City, to fully dedicate myself to my studies at a place that I considered to be the best.

I f I could talk to my eigthteen year old self, I would advise myself to make practical decisions. I have declared education as my major and american studies as my minor. I wish I would have declared spanish as my minor instead because as a future teacher I would probably be better off when it comes to finding a job. My Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) advisor, Lewis, advised me to minor in Spanish, but I did not listen. My mother too kept insisting that I study Spanish. I was reluctant to study Spanish, and even now I do not understand why. I simply thought that it was some sort of descrimination, that because I was Spanish I had to study Spanish. I was so wrong. Making the practical decision of studying Spanish in the first place would have been benefical. I would be bilingual in two languages English and Spanish. I can speak both languages now, but I would love to professionally develop and practice them more in writing and reading as well. I believe that I still have time to study Spanish, because this time I want to.

Some of my classmates are rich and spoiled, others are humble and middle class, some are intensely intelligent, others are creative, some are "jocks," some are "art freaks," some are introverted, some are extroverted: there is no one type of person at Skidmore and that is what I love about it.

Five things I didn't know that I didn't know until I went to college: It is possible for a person to truly not understand the importance of boundaries and rules in a group living situation. Don't be afraid or embarassed to tell someone if they are invading your privacy. Even at a small school, your professors will not know things about you that you want them to know unless you tell them. The freshman fifteen is real. Embrace it. Don't save all your homework for Sundays. Its just not enough time anymore. Sleep! Tell all your friends you are sick if you don't want to admit that you'd rather go to bed early on a Friday night than go out and party. Its impossible to be sleep deprived long term and stay your happy bubbly self. Would I have listened to myself if I had actually been able to time travel and give myself advice? Probably not. Some things are best learned by experience. However, I hope this advice can help another upcoming freshman.

A self motivated, hard working, somewhat eccentric person who enjoys liberal company, creative expression, and a small school should attend Skidmore. If you are accepting of others and wish you could be at a school where others readily accept you, then you should attend Skidmore.

Larissa

Coming from a Caribbean island, I have never truly experienced weather below sixty-five degress. Saratogoa Springs drops about eighty degress lower than that. While I knew that I was in for a "deadly" winter experience, it would have been nice to know the illness that comes along with a drop in temperature, and ways of prevention. I was sick for approximately two months this past sememester, which was rather unpleasant. If you are going to a school with weather much colder than your immune system is used to, bring A LOT of vitamin c!

SInging is my source of happiness and a great passion of mine. Upon awaiting my arrival at Skidmore I was eagar participate in vocal lessons to work on my technique. However, voice lessons were audtion based--which includes a classical piece and sight reading. At present, I can do neither. School, as everyone knows, is a place of learning and improvement, I should not be denied lessons simply because I can not sing a classical piece. Skidmore should provide an opportunity for everyone who pleases to develope in this area, not only the already-talented ones.

I have always valued myself as a good friend. I am loyal, a good listener, caring, and always try to be supportive. I was never able to find this in return from my graduating class of forty. I would have a couple of close friends for a period of time but eventually they would decide that ?I was not worth it? and move on. Never able to deduce my classmate?s reasoning, I experienced a lot of heartache throughout my high school years. Stepping onto Skidmore?s campus this past September third, I could not have been more anxious to start my new life and escape the people from home. My first day there, I met some of the most amazing people I have ever met, two of which are my closest friends. I am no longer the shy girl in the corner worrying about what people think of me and if I will be accepted. I get out, I mingle and meet people. I would have love to know that this was awaiting me and that I would see happier days. There are always people to connect with in the world, it is just a matter of finding them.

Alexa

If I encountered my high-school-senior self, I would most definitely tell myself to find myself at Skidmore without forgetting where I came from. As a high school senior, I was already interested in social justice issues and a college major in International Affairs, but I didn't think ahead about exerting myself into the Skidmore community through extracurriculars upon my arrival. I also would have advised myself to focus more on finding a balance between academics and the Skidmore social scene instead of preoccupying myself with making life-long friends the minute I got there. I would have told myself to make sure to talk to immediate and extended family often, for family always proves to be a strong support system, and never let my Skidmore identity overshadow my identity as a member of my family.

The type of person to attend Skidmore has a very open mind and natural creativity. It is imperative that students at Skidmore expose themselves to courses in various academic departments in order to settle on one specific path. A Skidmore student should also be accepting of their surroundings, for there are so many different kinds of people with varying talents and interests who attend Skidmore. Lastly, a Skidmore student should have some sort of musical taste or interest.

When I tell my friends about my school, I brag about the pervasiveness of creativity in the student body, faculty and staff, course structures, and even the architectural design of the school. I also brag about the array of majors and courses one can take and how each academic department is strong in its own way. For example, the Management and Business department is very structured and courses in that department are focused on group projects and case studies whereas the Philosophy department contains courses that are based on intense class discussions.

Rasheed

Skidmore College exemplifies the ideal liberal arts institution because it enables students to develope critical thinking skills through hands on work, projects, independent studies, lectures or discusions, while providing a terrific social scene for all of its students in extra-curriculum activities, parties, the dining hall, and dorm life.

I brag about the financial aid, dining hall, campus safety, and on-campus freedom the most when speaking about my college because these are the things that are significant to me since I started in freshman year.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and the transition, I would advise myself on several things: stop procrastinating and apply for more scholarships because to live comfortably in college, more money is better than less money, because if I won even small awards, I would worry less about having to take out loans in the future. I learned in college that most awards are targeted toward high school students and I would have qualified for many of them. I also would advise myself to become more social and do more activities with my friends during senior year because an open mind and free spirit is fundamental in developing close friendships in college. Finally I would advise myself to eat healthy and exercise because like many students in college, I was preoccupied with work and not noticing my weight gain which was healthy.

abra

Work hard, and use the professors, and faculty. They are here to make sure that you succeed.

The size is great and professors are willing to work closely with students at all times.

The social life could be disappointing

Celena

The first thing I would tell myself is to work harder and take my work more seriously as a high school senior. Transitioning into college was difficult since I was so used to getting good grades without putting effort in or taking any of my work seriously. I would also tell myself to work on my time management skills, because that that was also a crucial problem during my college career. Even now, time management is difficult, but as time passes, it gets easier. The most important thing I would tell myself is to be open-minded and flexible; take a variety of classes rather than only taking classes in one subject. I wanted to be a Chemistry major and started off taking only science courses and whatever other courses that would fulfill my liberal arts requirements, but that proved to be a mistake. I switched my major at the last minute and it has caused many problems, including being unable to study abroad, which is my one major regret. Finally, I would tell myself to call my family more often. Every once in a while is not enough!

How the social interactions worked at this school. It tends to be very clique-y and since it's a small school, there's not as much diversity in terms of personality, etc.

Kate

Skidmore is a liberal campus that is happiest and most bountiful with its nicer weather.

I would tell my high school self, "It's okay, girl. Applying early decision was a fabulous choice. College is a great experience, but you have to remember that college isn't just school, it is life--there are bound to be both ups and downs. Breath. Relax. Greet change and expect it. Don't forget the friends have you have made at home, but don't feel pressure to hold on to the ones who never made you feel great. Don't fear figuring yourself out, and don't fear not knowing who you are at all. You will meet people who you will love dearly, and who will feel the same about you. You will meet people you don't mesh well with, and this is a good thing. These people will help you to learn more about your self and help you to work on your patience and tolerance. Most importantly, slow down. Every day might not be the brightest, but take advantage of the four years you have at this wonderful place; there is so much you can do, but if you let yourself waste what you have been given, you might feel regretful."

The size! It has really affected many of the things I love about Skidmore: its classroom intamacy, my social life, and the level of comfort and welcomeness I feel on campus.

Skidmore College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.